• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

I know this game is open-world but are you able to go on a rampage and get people (cops etc.) to go after you just for fun in the sense of getting stars and cops to chase you in GTA?

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't followed this game since the debut trailer but I'm trying to gauge replayabillity as I restrict my budget when it comes to single-player only games.

Yes you can. There's a flame over your HUD showing your wanted rating.

I know this game is open-world but are you able to go on a rampage and get people (cops etc.) to go after you just for fun in the sense of getting stars and cops to chase you in GTA?

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't followed this game since the debut trailer but I'm trying to gauge replayabillity as I restrict my budget when it comes to single-player only games.

Go watch the giantbomb QL.

Flunkie

Banned

Yes, and the cops actually are FUN to take out in SD. The ram mechanic is great.

Yep, and the way you remove police presence is the Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars way - you bash them until their cars are destroyed.

What's the 9mb patch downloading now on Steam?

Sleeping Dogs 1.4 Update

Bug Fixes
• Several bugs with the Display Options screen resetting options when backing out of the Advanced Options Menu.
• Tuned the difficulty of the Lock Pick Mini-game for Mouse and Keyboard.

Quick

Banned
Just finished it. I agree with having some choices put in the game for us to decide. I also definitely want a sequel. Square Enix pls.

Kicking Big Smile Lee's ass in the ending felt unsatisfying. Felt like there was more missions to do after Raymond popped up afterwards, and I thought I'd have the chance to take out Pendrew myself in-game, rather than the cutscene.

I was hoping for more Amy/Amanda after the one date. That kind of sucks. Wouldn't have minded seeing Shen decide later on who to date, and having the girlfriend be a major character later on. Guess Emma Stone was busy.

I do like how they capped it all off. Shen ultimately was loyal to both sides. Pretty satisfying end overall, though.

Just finished it. I agree with having some choices put in the game for us to decide. I also definitely want a sequel. Square Enix pls.

Me too. If it's between a sequel to this and another horribly generic kart racing game with an unplayably bad framerate, I'll take a sequel to this. I'm sure they also learned a lot while making it, which would benefit the sequel greatly. And make it for PC/Nextbox/PS4. A boy can dream.

LOVE the Softly station. Old school music mixed with modern.

Yeah, I like that one and the old school soul station (kinda jazzy blues).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game is pretty cool so far... but why in the mother of fuck do you have to hold a button to walk!?

Yeah... uh the rest of the industry figured out how to do that on an analog quite some time ago. Makes the game way more janky than it needs to be, and it's already kinda janky.

Still, having a bit of fun with it so far.

This game is pretty cool so far... but why in the mother of fuck do you have to hold a button to walk!?

Yeah... uh the rest of the industry figured out how to do that on an analog quite some time ago. Makes the game way more janky than it needs to be, and it's already kinda janky.

Still, having a bit of fun with it so far.

Wait, really? I'm playing with my Xbox gamepad on the PC and I can walk by pushing it softly. Not sure if it's the same on consoles though.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Is there any proper way to counter those big dudes who try to grab you and slam you on the ground?

Just finished 7 missions so far, but having a lot of problems fighting these guys.

Is there any proper way to counter those big dudes who try to grab you and slam you on the ground?

Just finished 7 missions so far, but having a lot of problems fighting these guys.

I roll over them (highlight them and then hit A), and then grab or kick them from behind. It's not a move you have by default. It's a triad skill upgrade.

Arcteryx

I don't understand the complaint. When I push the analog stick, I walk. When I hold A I run. What am I missing?

And for anyone like me that came to this game this week with no knowledge of its existence, here's a nice little feature on the voice actors.

Are you playing on console? Try holding the left trigger and you'll see what he means. By default on console you are at a half-trot. Trigger puts you into a zoomed up/slow walk.

As for the big dudes: just gotta counter/time the QTE's right and they are pretty easy. Once you get a high enough face level you can pretty much just wail away on them with stunlocks.

Yeah. There are 2 or 3 different QTE style reversals after they grab you. They also don't block so just go crazy on them and watch your back for the other enemies. Go to the dojo/fight clubs and practice against them. The only real danger in hand to hand combat is when the game decides to throw 20 of those fools with the butcher knives at you.

I really like the fact that you can raise and lower the volume of the car radio with the push of a button as you drive, instead of having to go to a menu and adjust all the music in the game. It seems like such an obvious and helpful feature yet this is the only game I can think of that does it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I roll over them (highlight them and then hit A), and then grab or kick them from behind. It's not a move you have by default. It's a triad skill upgrade.
Yeah, I saw that skill in the upgrade menu. Will get that.

Yeah. There are 2 or 3 different QTE style reversals after they grab you. They also don't block so just go crazy on them and watch your back for the other enemies. Go to the dojo/fight clubs and practice against them. The only real danger in hand to hand combat is when the game decides to throw 20 of those fools with the butcher knives at you.
They kinda take out all my health with just that grab and slam move. Guess I'll have to learn their attack pattern and practice at bit at the fight clubs. Thanks.

So uh, don't pop a mad wheelie up the stairs to the undercover cop HQ...

ibrRT13t7LJ8Xh.png

Had to load an auto save to get out of there.

It's pretty annoying when you go to do a green (Triad) mission on the map and it gives you blue (police) bonus at the end. Makes it a real crapshoot as to what clothing you should wear to increase your bonus.

massoluk

Banned
It's pretty annoying when you go to do a green (Triad) mission on the map and it gives you blue (police) bonus at the end. Makes it a real crapshoot as to what clothing you should wear to increase your bonus.

For me, Police bonus is overkilled, I maxed police skills while Triad's was like level 4 due to Drug Busting missions. If I can do it again, I'd just wear Triad Bonus all the time. And -5 Police for clumsy? F U.

Forkball

I'm getting this "game content can not be loaded until you reinstall" message before I load my saves. What is this referring to? The new outfits?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has come up before.

Is anyone with the PC version having problems losing functionality with their Xbox 360 controller seemingly at random?

It's weird because I can bring up the start menu and navigate it, but nothing responds in terms of actually controlling my character. I can't find any way to fix it other than exiting the game and starting it up again.

Any help?

Okay, I want to run Sleeping dogs at 720p so I can record some stuff - problem is, it won't stretch to fill the rest of my screen. Anyone know of any fixes for this?

KePoW

Banned
Sorry if this has come up before.

Is anyone with the PC version having problems losing functionality with their Xbox 360 controller seemingly at random?

It's weird because I can bring up the start menu and navigate it, but nothing responds in terms of actually controlling my character. I can't find any way to fix it other than exiting the game and starting it up again.

Any help?

That's funny because I got that same exact problem with Darksiders 2. Only Start button would work sometimes.

I fixed it by exiting out to desktop and unplugging the USB connection, then plugged it back in. I saw Windows automatically updated driver in system tray, and everything is fine again in games I use the 360 controller.

Zaptruder

Banned
So the people who haven't gotten to the ending should know that you weren't talking about the real ending?

Makes sense

Yes. If you exercise some reading comprehension, you would've understood that. Of course I'll take some blame and say that I could've worded what I wrote better, but I don't say or even attempt to imply at any point that what I'm blathering on about is what happens in the game.

haikira

Sleeping Dogs 1.4 Update

Bug Fixes
• Several bugs with the Display Options screen resetting options when backing out of the Advanced Options Menu.
• Tuned the difficulty of the Lock Pick Mini-game for Mouse and Keyboard.

YESSSS!!!

Was getting this problem and it was bugging the hell out of me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's funny because I got that same exact problem with Darksiders 2. Only Start button would work sometimes.

I fixed it by exiting out to desktop and unplugging the USB connection, then plugged it back in. I saw Windows automatically updated driver in system tray, and everything is fine again in games I use the 360 controller.

Thanks, but this didn't work.

In fact, I've restarted the game and my computer a few times now and the controller simply won't work at all. I've messed around switching control schemes, but nothing. It only works in the start menu, including bringing it up and closing it.

This sucks. I don't want to play this game with the mouse and keyboard.

I haven't had any problems with a PC game in a long time. Hate weird issues like this.

haikira

yea, works now. very quick fix.

Yup. Credit to them on the patching so far. Just one other positive.

So glad i bought this. Felt like i was taking a huge gamble pre ordering, as i felt the game really could have went either way. But i think it's definitely going to be in my top 10 of the year already now.

Timbuktu

I hope we can get Kowloon as DLC, it's really odd looking across from Victoria peak and seeing that horrible skybox and not;

View of Central Hong Kong From Victoria Peak by dcmaster, on Flickr

Yeah. For once i really want DLC and expansions, where is my Kowloon and Lion Rock and Star Ferries dammit.  It is weird for HK not to have that iconic view across the habour.  The lack of MTR and Ocean Park are pretty glaring too.

I can understand why that simplified the city in this way but i thought seeing that skyline beyond and then finally being able to cross the bridge to get to the area was on of the best bits of GTA IV, even if i really lost interest once i did that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm pretty let down by the fact that the Bruce Lee suit doesn't have the rolled up sleeves.

If the sleeves aren't rolled up, it's not the Game of Death suit.

KePoW

Banned
Thanks, but this didn't work.

In fact, I've restarted the game and my computer a few times now and the controller simply won't work at all. I've messed around switching control schemes, but nothing. It only works in the start menu, including bringing it up and closing it.

This sucks. I don't want to play this game with the mouse and keyboard.

Are you sure the controller problem is only in Sleeping Dogs? Try other games with the controller.

Top Bottom