• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

calder

Moving on up in the underworld, and now that I've seen the high end clothing stores I desperately want to get my Face level up to 5 (and make a ton of $) to get some of those suits. In every open world game like this I end up rotating sets of very expensive dark suits, and the stuff here looked great. ;)

LiK

Yeah. For once i really want DLC and expansions, where is my Kowloon and Lion Rock and Star Ferries dammit.  It is weird for HK not to have that iconic view across the habour.  The lack of MTR and Ocean Park are pretty glaring too.

I can understand why that simplified the city in this way but i thought seeing that skyline beyond and then finally being able to cross the bridge to get to the area was on of the best bits of GTA IV, even if i really lost interest once i did that.

they announced there will be several major DLCs coming. not sure if they'll expand the locations tho. i hope so.

LiK

Does this game have controller support on the PC? If so, what control method do you guys prefer?

native 360 pad support. i plug in my pad and it works automatically. the UI even switches to showing 360 buttons for prompts.

Polished off this game last night. Had about 20hrs on the clock with maybe half the side stuff done. I really enjoyed this game, the melee is super fun and the dirivng feels good. I wish there was a way to get a handgun or something fast though. Not enough gun play. I really hope we get more story DLC for this gem.

Game looks amazing too. I got eveything maxed but the ambient occlusion. At night time in the rain this game could be just about the best looking I seen. Also used a gamepad for all of the game and it was flawless.

I seem to be missing some DLC, I pre ordered on steam but only got the triad pack.

Lesath

Do you think it feels better on the pad? About 2 hours to go on my download.

I beat the game with mouse and keyboard, but for shits and giggles I setup my PS3 controller. Races became a lot easier, and melee combat overall just has a better feel. I had ended up not using several abilities because they either required targeting (which isn't worth bothering with a keyboard), or required absurd combinations of key presses that would be a lot more intuitive with a controller (for example, a simultaneous F+Rightclick for the special counter, as opposed to B+Y). I assume gun controls would be better too, since there is a slight autotarget snap that can't be turned off.

Moving on up in the underworld, and now that I've seen the high end clothing stores I desperately want to get my Face level up to 5 (and make a ton of $) to get some of those suits. In every open world game like this I end up rotating sets of very expensive dark suits, and the stuff here looked great. ;)

Trying to rank my face up takes fucking forever, it's ridiculous. How do you guys do it?

And how do you activate your face meter? I've gotten a couple of tips on that and have no idea what to do.

Branson

Welp I'm kind of pissed. Was excited to play this but I guess I can't. I need a new tv. My native resolution is 1280x768 60hz. The game
Has that but it's at 170hz(wtf?). Not supported unfortunately.

So unless I want to spend hundreds on a new tv this and metro and Darksiders are just wasted space on my HDD. I'm pissed. I'm sorry. Fuck.

LiK

Do you think it feels better on the pad? About 2 hours to go on my download.

most definitely. combat and racing controls are spot on with it. hell, even many of the minigames like unlocking boxes, planting bugs etc work great with the controller. i don't even know how they play with kb/mouse since the ones i mentioned use the analog sticks only.

Smash88

Banned
AF41BF54562B2B9DCFB209D74DE081950A83CBE5

This game looks soooooooo gooooooooood!

Lesath

Trying to rank my face up takes fucking forever, it's ridiculous. How do you guys do it?

And how do you activate your face meter? I've gotten a couple of tips on that and have no idea what to do.

First of all, purchase the best +%face items when you can and wear them, as tacky as they may look. Face is actually quite limited in-game, and I imagine it is possible to complete the game without getting to 10.

You'll get face for:
1. Favors
2. Drug Busts (clearing the area)
3. Races

As for in-combat face, you'll get them if you do particularly nasty moves. I think the elbow and leg breaks are significant contributors.

dreamfall

Races seem to level your Face meter like mad! I was hitting Level 8 after doing about half of the story missions. Also, favors do help immensely!

most definitely. combat and racing controls are spot on with it. hell, even many of the minigames like unlocking boxes, planting bugs etc work great with the controller. i don't even know how they play with kb/mouse since the ones i mentioned use the analog sticks only.

I'm definitely a Kb/M person when it comes to third person, open world games. I think I can more precisely aim when shooting, and pressing the space bar to run feels natural to me. I also think the hand to hand combat feels good with left click to attack, right to counter. The only problem I seem to have is stretching to use the "R" key to pick up weapons.

Driving with keys always feels a bit stiff, but something I've definitely gotten used to with the iterations of GTA. And as for button prompts, a lot of the use the Right Click or the "F" button. Even action hijacking feels alright with a double tap of the "Q" key.

I just like pointing with a mouse to navigate!

golem

I finished the game around face 6 :/ Need to do more races.

Actually I usually never come back to 100% games but found myself playing a bit today just for kicks.

The only thing i found particularly difficult on KB/M was picking locks but sounds like they made that easier. The camera can be a bit retarded at times though.

Chillin up top
jbv6BK7GovCoeD.jpg

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Use environmental kills to activate face meter fast. Also do a lot of favours, races and stuff to level it up.

Sober

I love the way the game handles the 'stakes' of your actions in the early going. As an undercover cop it makes sense that the game can encourage non-lethal gameplay and it's logical in a way that it wouldn't really be in GTA. In GTA you're playing as a mostly amoral gangster who doesn't have a reason to not murder randomly unless you arbitrarily limit yourself as the player because the game can't give long-term consequences (jail, death). With that in mind, the focus in Sleeping Dogs on melee combat early and the near total lack of guns (I haven't found one yet, or even been threatened by one) really helps keep the game setting grounded. Sure at some point I'm sure I'll get in gun fights, and the melee combat is brutal enough that it sure looks like some of those guys ain't getting up again, but for the first several hours I'm a cop undercover as a low level gangster so beating up lowlifes makes perfect sense whereas shooting up the streets wouldn't.
That is something they do a good job of, or at least if not through the story, at least through the lack of weapons in the gameplay that even a pistol is super deadly.

Have you been using (or have you found any) lethal environmentals? Like things that would kill someone? I remember seeing a ton of people saying "oh god, that's cool but too much for me to even try" but I wonder in the context of the mission if they did it, because when they raise the stakes it seems like a foregone conclusion to shoot people or impale them.

Welp I'm kind of pissed. Was excited to play this but I guess I can't. I need a new tv. My native resolution is 1280x768 60hz. The game
Has that but it's at 170hz(wtf?). Not supported unfortunately.

So unless I want to spend hundreds on a new tv this and metro and Darksiders are just wasted space on my HDD. I'm pissed. I'm sorry. Fuck.

Have you tried making a custom resolution?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sure the controller problem is only in Sleeping Dogs? Try other games with the controller.

Yeah, I'm sure.

I checked the official forums and found a thread about this issue buried deep, though.

Turns out the only sure way to fix the problem is to disable any Bluetooth adapters. That fixed it for me at least.

I'm really enjoying the game now, but the technical issues are a bit sad. It's weird, because in a lot of ways this game looks absolutely incredible, but it's really inconsistent.

On the PC version is Wei rendered really wonderfully but nearly every other character looks shitty? That's how it is on 360. I guess that's required to maintain a steady framerate, or fit within memory restrictions. But man does he look as good as the others look bad.

LOL, I just left the apartment and the two women that are always outside it were yelling at each other. One was complaining that the other was too loud and dramatic while having sex, because all the neighbors could hear it. Those women are great.

LiK

On the PC version is Wei rendered really wonderfully but nearly every other character looks shitty? That's how it is on 360. I guess that's required to maintain a steady framerate, or fit within memory restrictions. But man does he look as good as the others look bad.

LOL, I just left the apartment and the two women that are always outside it were yelling at each other. One was complaining that the other was too loud and dramatic while having sex, because all the neighbors could hear it. Those women are great.

so far i think all the main characters including the Triads and cops looks really nice and detailed. but all random NPCs are pretty hideous. the girls are particularly fugly.

Soi-Fong

lol Whenever I go outside of the apt, I stand around for a minute or two to listen in on what they're saying such as calling each other sluts, that sorta thing. haha

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
lol Whenever I go outside of the apt, I stand around for a minute or two to listen in on what they're saying such as calling each other sluts, that sorta thing. haha

There's also the couple in your luxe apartment who argue about the man being a playboy.

I hope to GOD there's a sequel, this is like THE best game ever!

More destructible environments please UnitedFront, and no more fences!!

Larger city for exploration, it feels like everything is 20 seconds away.

Jackie Ma just got caught!

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
Just got all 50 Achievements for the game. Took me nearly 31 hours and I just want to say fuck the gambling stat award.

Toki767

I was pretty disappointed that the girls were pretty much one-off dates. The game overall was really good. Not without its flaws, but they definitely nailed the presentation of the world. I wonder if we'll get a sequel.

LiK

This is one of the games where I don't mind dlc, like Arkham City. Let's hope the dlc is plentiful and adds new areas.

ditto, altho i may not buy them day one. hope the released ones go on sale during the Winter sale.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dat wedding mission.

Game is way awesome. I'm about halfway through, enjoying the rather nice mix of free running, hand to hand combat, gunplay and vehicle work.

Vehicle handling is just like I like it, responsive and arcadey, not overly boatlike ala GTA. Makes the street race missions fun.

Runs awesome on my overclocked 560ti, just about maxed out.

Only complaint I have so far is that the "dating" missions don't seem to go anywhere, you could more call them one night stand missions!

Can someone give me marks out of 10 for these categories, preferably PS3? Cheers

1) Traversal handling
2) Combat handling
3) Driving handling

4) World variety
5) Exploration
6) World detail

7) Random fun/events
8) Side missions
9) Collectibles/rewards
10) Extras/easter eggs

11) Length including side missions
12) Main story
13) Mission variety
14) 'Make your own fun' factor

SJRB

Gold Member
Haha, wow that's quite the list. I think you're better off going to Twitch and watch some livestreams, my friend. Watching 30 minutes of streaming will do more for you than some random forum giving out highly subjective grades.

GiantBomb has two Quicklooks on this game [preview code and regular release], those might be worth watching.

Haha, wow that's quite the list. I think you're better off going to Twitch and watch some livestreams, my friend. Watching 30 minutes of streaming will do more for you than some random forum giving out highly subjective grades.

GiantBomb has two Quicklooks on this game [preview code and regular release], those might be worth watching.

I've had my fingers burnt doing that with Just Cause 2, GTAVI and Skyrim though, and I found all of them severely lacking in certain major areas of what I'm looking for in an open world game :)

I'm not sure if it's just random or planned, but I've had the radio choose up-tempo music during races, and really mellow tracks (it always seems to be on the Easy channel) when I start a date. We compare the game a lot to GTA4, so I'll do it one more time - dating in this is much more interesting than what happens in GTA4. The conversations feel more real, and everything seems to flow better. And as someone else said, the phone in this is much improved as well, but I don't think Smartphones were much of a thing when GTA4 came out.

Forkball

Just got my new apartment. I'm really digging this game. The setting, combat, and missions are all entertaining. The story is also very interesting so far and there's a plethora of memorable characters. My only problem is that the game teases you with the jade statues. You can see them on your minimap, but some are in impossible to get to places, I assume they open up in the story mode. STOP TEASING ME I WANNA LEARN MARTIAL ARTS.

LiK

Just got my new apartment. I'm really digging this game. The setting, combat, and missions are all entertaining. The story is also very interesting so far and there's a plethora of memorable characters. My only problem is that the game teases you with the jade statues. You can see them on your minimap, but some are in impossible to get to places, I assume they open up in the story mode. STOP TEASING ME I WANNA LEARN MARTIAL ARTS.

i hate seeing the jade statues in some cutscenes and have no way to get them at the time.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm not sure if it's just random or planned, but I've had the radio choose up-tempo music during races, and really mellow tracks (it always seems to be on the Easy channel) when I start a date. We compare the game a lot to GTA4, so I'll do it one more time - dating in this is much more interesting than what happens in GTA4. The conversations feel more real, and everything seems to flow better. And as someone else said, the phone in this is much improved as well, but I don't think Smartphones were much of a thing when GTA4 came out.

Have you gotten in the car with someone's fiance? Have you had a friend witness something that they're not habituated to?

These are the moments when a charming romantic song starts playing.

i hate seeing the jade statues in some cutscenes and have no way to get them at the time.

Try seeing a jade statue by peering into a beautiful loft apartment you just climbed your way up to verify, only to find that you cannot access it for some reason.

LiK

Have you gotten in the car with someone's fiance? Have you had a friend witness something that they're not habituated to?

These are the moments when a charming romantic song starts playing.

Try seeing a jade statue by peering into a beautiful loft apartment you just climbed your way up to verify, only to find that you cannot access it for some reason.

they're so shiny

Toki767

I did that too. I spent a good 20 minutes or so just trying to figure out how to even get there lol

Top Bottom