• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Finally got the game working. Had to re-install as the pre-load was borked (Steam, sometimes....).
One thing I've noticed about the game is that it's absolutely cooking my GPU. Doesn't help that the weather has been pretty hot the last few days.

Timbuktu

Doing the Cantonese voiceovers must be a lot of fun, just basically be as rude as possible and use as many cuss words as you can. HK cinema never really do bad language, even in John Woo, Andrew Lau or Johnnie To triad movies, until recently in Edmund Pang's films.

Really enjoying it so far, although it feels like a bizarre Shenzhen rather than Hong Kong.

LiK

Doing the Cantonese voiceovers must be a lot of fun, just basically be as rude as possible and use as many cuss words as you can. HK cinema never really do bad language, even in John Woo, Andrew Lau or Johnnie To triad movies, until recently in Edmund Pang's films.

Really enjoying it so far, although it feels like a bizarre Shenzhen rather than Hong Kong.

i dunno, i can think of many HK crime movies from 80's to 90's that is just filled with cuss words when i watched them as a kid. it's way less prominent now tho. ah, the good ol' days.

iS7LQEZJ4RosS.jpg

Judging from this screen you can turn off the crosshair and everything?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
So how awesome was mission 11? Totally loved it. Shooting, melee combat and driving clicked so well, along with the lightning fast pacing. Really starting to enjoy this game now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Judging from this screen you can turn off the crosshair and everything?

Disabling the hud seems to be a brute force "TURN OFF ALL OVERLAYS" kind of thing made for screenshots, so I'm not surprised to see the crosshair gone. Even your phone disappears, and when you try to use it all you can hear are beeps.

Sethos

Banned
really? feels fine to me. even the default bike is fun to drive.

Guess out definition of fun is miles apart. I just hate this overly crappy JC2 / SR / now Sleeping Dogs model of light toy cars with no feel whatsoever. I don't expect 'realistic' handling, I just want cars you can actually master, cars with weight, turn circles and cars / bikes that can't do all sorts of crazy shit removing the fear of crashing, meaning you don't get the rush of blazing through town. The handling model is hard to explain but I just hate it with a passion - It's not even fun in the slightest, it's so counter-fun that it makes me stop playing these games.

Toki767

so this happened when i drove over a traffic cone

sorry for the shitty screenshot, paint kinda screwed me over. :(

I lightly tapped a car and Wei got catapulted like 20 feet forward. Then I sped head first into another car and he was fine. Lesson? Wear a seat belt I guess.

Fjordson

Man, the car handling in this game is atrocious.
Yeah, I think it's bad as well. Real bad. And the camera isn't too hot.

But I've only played an hour or so of the 360 version where the framerate wasn't consistent. Going to wait on my new PC to play this any further, maybe it'll feel better there?

pa22word

Man, the car handling in this game is atrocious.

Odd, I honestly really like it. Reminds me of the GTAIII trilogy with a more efficient hand break. The one thing that's been giving me issues is that the way the streets are oriented, which is more of a personal thing due to me being from the states. I keep turning into oncoming traffic and hitting people head on lol

LiK

But I've only played an hour or so of the 360 version where the framerate wasn't consistent. Going to wait on my new PC to play this any further, maybe it'll feel better there?

Playing on PC and my framerate is consistent while driving most of the time. Its smooth, even at top speed.

Fjordson

Playing on PC and my framerate is consistent while driving most of the time. Its smooth, even at top speed.
Nice. I'd imagine that'll help. Just didn't feel great on 360.

Not to mention all the PC screens in here look incredible in comparison.

Sethos

Banned

Being on PC doesn't help at all

Timbuktu

i dunno, i can think of many HK crime movies from 80's to 90's that is just filled with cuss words when i watched them as a kid. it's way less prominent now tho. ah, the good ol' days.

There were until foul language get the movie thrown into category iii in thhe late 80s. So that meant all of the Young and Dangerous movies as well as Infernal Affairs and most of the movies i watched growing up. There was a certain distance between cinema cantonese and real life dialogue.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guess out definition of fun is miles apart. I just hate this overly crappy JC2 / SR / now Sleeping Dogs model of light toy cars with no feel whatsoever. I don't expect 'realistic' handling, I just want cars you can actually master, cars with weight, turn circles and cars / bikes that can't do all sorts of crazy shit removing the fear of crashing, meaning you don't get the rush of blazing through town. The handling model is hard to explain but I just hate it with a passion - It's not even fun in the slightest, it's so counter-fun that it makes me stop playing these games.

See, I disagree with all of this, because I am blazing through traffic, drifting around corners, and 'mastering' the feel of cars.

I think Mafia 2 is the only open world game that nailed the car weight feel

haikira

Odd, I honestly really like it. Reminds me of the GTAIII trilogy with a more efficient hand break. The one thing that's been giving me issues is that the way the streets are oriented, which is more of a personal thing due to me being from the states. I keep turning into oncoming traffic and hitting people head on lol

It's been really weird, being on the other side of the coin for once. I'm from the UK and it honestly feels so strange playing an open world game, with driving on the same side as i'm used to in real life.

Sethos

Banned

My personal favourites are Mafia 1 / 2 and GTA IV - Could drive around those games for hours. Mafia 1 however you needed some of the later models to really get a feel for it :p Early models were basically wheelbarrows.

Toki767

There were until foul language get the movie thrown into category iii in thhe late 80s. So that meant all of the Young and Dangerous movies as well as Infernal Affairs and most of the movies i watched growing up. There was a certain distance between cinema cantonese and real life dialogue.

Off topic but I wish there was a blu-ray release for Young and Dangerous.

Fjordson

GTA IV is my favourite, but I liked Mafia 2's driving as well.

It's been really weird, being on the other side of the coin for once. I'm from the UK and it honestly feels so strange playing an open world game, with driving on the same side as i'm used to in real life.
Haha, that's pretty interesting. I'm from the UK as well, but I've been in the States for six years at this point so my brain's mostly forgotten about driving on the other side.

Driving in this was a bit jarring, but it's awesome that they stuck to that detail. Would probably be weird without.

SJRB

Gold Member
Not a fan of the vehicle handling either.

Still think there are some bugs involved, because the way the vehicles handle are so irratic and weird that I really doubt that was intentional. I shouldn't be able to drive a bike normally one moment and have huge problems just turning a normal corner the next, on the same type of bike.

Thanks, but this didn't work.

In fact, I've restarted the game and my computer a few times now and the controller simply won't work at all. I've messed around switching control schemes, but nothing. It only works in the start menu, including bringing it up and closing it.

This sucks. I don't want to play this game with the mouse and keyboard.

I haven't had any problems with a PC game in a long time. Hate weird issues like this.

Could it be your gamepad? Or drivers.

I'm using a gamepad, and I'm not having any problems at the moment.

Sephon

I've heard this quite a bit, but I've played for at least 4-5 hours now and I have no problem with the car handling at all. Actually like it better than saint's row (and I like the SR3 handling).

But I completely agree on the camera controls, very iffy.

Sethos

Banned
Dunno. Sounds a little dangerous. I'm cool with unlocking games early but I heard they ban for purchasing while on VPN and I don't know if downloading (albeit free) DLC crosses the line.

They don't, only if you use region locked keys ( mainly Russian ) bought off dodgy sites and VPN unlock them on a western account. Regular VPN unlock is fairly harmless afaik, done it loads of times now.

Zaptruder

Banned

Yeah I was bitching about the driving a bit last night too.

I think the thing that made it click for me though, was realizing that you need to hold down the accelerator when drifting - for it to feel right.

Then it feels properly arcadey, and not collapsed with its ass up between two stools.

That said, I so dearly wish that one of these games would one day goes ball out with a decently realistic driving feel (GTA4, was semi-realistic, but overly roll-prone), with a realistic damage model - making driving difficult even dangerous... but at the same time exhilirating and fufilling.

But they'd have to complement it with a good fast travel system (mobile to call taxi, and taxi that drops you anywhere is a good solution), for people that don't want to drive everywhere.

Then one of the perks should be the ability to get a chauffer, and he'll drive you around in your cars.

I say all this because this Hong Kong theme park is a really brilliant place to drive around in. One of my favourite open game cities to date.

Great stuff. Can't download the high res pack because the game is not available in Germany.

This is very strange, I'm from Germany too and could download the high-res pack just fine on release night but now the whole game is unavailable in the store o.o

"This item is currently unavailable in your region"

The game still works though so I guess Valve was forced to honor the one-month shifted release date now and put the game up early by mistake before, oh lol...

It also seems that the new patch borked my game or save somehow :(

During the side-mission where
Tiffany cheats on Wei when you watch her waiting for the truck nothing happens and I'm stuck in a cut-scene

EDIT: After reloading three times
she finally got into the car and drove off
and the mission went on.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Man I really love the art style for this game, I've been completely surprised how fun and good this is. I hope this game sells well because Squares' publishing has been utterly fucking fantastic.

dandoolan

Try seeing a jade statue by peering into a beautiful loft apartment you just climbed your way up to verify, only to find that you cannot access it for some reason.

Came across the same senario myself. Still no idea how to get to that one.

See, I disagree with all of this, because I am blazing through traffic, drifting around corners, and 'mastering' the feel of cars.

Yeah same, love the hell out of the driving in this on PC with a controller. The high level bikes are insane to scoot around on! Love just doing some shifty handbrake turns in and out to the highway, even better at night or when it is raining.

EatChildren

Yeah same, love the hell out of the driving in this on PC with a controller. The high level bikes are insane to scoot around on! Love just doing some shifty handbrake turns in and out to the highway, even better at night or when it is raining.

It feels really arcadey, but I like that feel. Cars and bikes are pretty easy to control, have room for mastery, and yeah on a high speed bike you can zip around like a rocket.

Also lol at one of the missions, the one with the gambling cop, where you have get the money he owes.
To avoid directly attacking him, a police officer, you're instructed to use his surgeon wife as a tool to get the money back. First order of business: intercept her as she leaves the hospital, stick her in the boot of your card, and drive her the meetup point. I rock up in my sports car, grab her, drag her over to the boot, and start repeated pounding her face into the back of the car. Over and over.

And so I learn sports cars don't have much of a boot.

Sethos

Banned
Even discovered it's possible to "jerk" the vehicles around with the handbrake button at very low speed ... God dammit this handling mode is annoying. I can't take it any more, this is going in my "backlog". Glad it was only $19.

Herla

I'm loving the game, but there are 2 things (related to each other) that I fucking despise:

1) restarting a mission because I tripped or something (one whole shield of experience less because of a -5!?!?)
2) having to reach my objective on foot during a mission because getting a car means, you guessed it, one shield less.

I know it's not necessary, but I can't help it, and I HATE it.

Top Bottom