• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Derrick01

Banned
Even discovered it's possible to "jerk" the vehicles around with the handbrake button at very low speed ... God dammit this handling mode is annoying. I can't take it any more, this is going in my "backlog". Glad it was only $19.

It has the best driving system out of the big open world games this gen gta4/jc2/sr3. I don't know why you like GTAs so much when every car turns like a tank. That's not fun.

Sojgat

Sleeping Dogs is very nearly the greatest open world game ever made. Caveats to this statement are the game's sometimes less than awesome graphics (on console anyway) and the fact that it's very promising (and fantastically voice acted) story starts going downhill around the midpoint as characters are constantly introduced only to dissappear. Sleeping Dogs succeeds due to the fact that it's numerous side quests and minor activities are elevated by it's core mechanics, whereas every other open world game falls down becoming boring and repetitive. Why?

- Hand to hand combat that rivals the Arkham games once you level up Wei Shen.
- Driving reminiscent of Burnout which lifts much the of the high flying carjacking and vehicular combat from The Wheelman.
- A very basic (i.e. press A) climbing and free running traversal system that adds a lot of enjoyment to just getting around the world.
- Shooting, which although simplistic, works well and includes bullet time mechanics in a fun way.

In short, the developers met their mission statement of making an open world game where the various individual core mechanics could each support their own games. It also doesn't hurt that the open world itself is really great as well. The Hong Kong environment is a highly detailed and welcome change from all the thinly veiled copies of New York, and it's populated with some great characters (some likable, some not so much). I had a ball running, climbing and driving all over it while I punched, kicked and shot the shit out of everything that dared to oppose me.

This is starting to turn into a review, but I'm really just trying to explain why although parts of Sleeping Dogs could have been done better or expanded on, I was never frustrated by them, because in my nearly 30 hrs of playtime there was never a moment I wasn't having fun. Indeed more fun than I've ever had in any other open world game (even the far more madcap Saints Row games). I loved it. Future open world games need to be as ambitious as Sleeping Dogs with their core mechanics, and focus on making them fun, not a chore, because tapping A repeatedly to run faster to the next scripted story mission isn't going to cut it anymore.

Oh, and the soundtrack is fucking awesome too.

Sethos

Banned
I'm not. But you constantly bitch about other open world driving systems and then prop up GTA4's awful driving. It's annoying.

Oh stop that GTA hate Derrick, it's pathetic. Because I enjoy a driving system in a game you don't like, doesn't make my opinion invalid. The fact that you find me opinion "annoying" because you don't agree with it says a lot about your mentality.

Get a grip.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh stop that GTA hate Derrick, it's pathetic. Because I enjoy a driving system in a game you don't like, doesn't make my opinion invalid. The fact that you find me opinion "annoying" because you don't agree with it says a lot about your mentality.

Get a grip.

Or it could be because you shit up every thread related to these other games talking about how superior GTA's driving is. That might have something to do with it.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So Square now has two big sand box series to play with and got Eidos for a lot of high rich ips in multiple genres to enjoy their near future success. If you told me this several years ago that Square will be remembered for their western side I would be calling you a liar. These times are sure crazy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It seems pc version has the same texture lacks of the ps3 version... an another 360 porting... ridicolous...

It has a HD texture pack. It's free. Download it.

Sethos

Banned
Or it could be because you shit up every thread related to these other games talking about how superior GTA's driving is. That might have something to do with it.

Comparing to the game which has the driving model you enjoy most isn't "shitting up a thread", I even mentioned the Mafia games before GTA you drama queen. How about we focus on YOU entering EVERY. SINGLE. GTA IV thread and start trash talking it like you have an agenda?

But hey, now I'm not being super positive about a game you like and the tables are somehow turned, then it's alright for you to act like that.

Didn't even call the GTA IV model superior, called it one of my favourites. Talk about blowing stuff out of proportion?

Avixph

Did anyone buy the RETRO TRIAD PACK?
cUnIN.png

Salacious Crumb

I'm with Sethos on this one. The cars feel terrible and floaty, like they're not connected to the road via 4 sprung wheels, they just feel like weightless boxes.

He's also right about GTA IV having the best driving model in any open world game.

Grisby

I don't mind the car handling too much but the camera for it sucks when ever you try to turn it around. The damn thing wigs the f out. Also, there have been some missions where it seems like shooting from the car isn't as responsive as it should be.

mxgt

Banned
I hate GTA IV and like Sleeping Dogs and I agree with the people saying SD's driving is poor and GTA IV's is the best.

I do like the motorcycles in Sleeping Dogs, though.

Does the HD texture pack take a heavy toll on performance?

Barely anything, maybe 1 or 2 fps knocked off, but when I benchmarked the difference, there was none.

I hate GTA IV and like Sleeping Dogs and I agree with the people saying SD's driving is poor and GTA IV's is the best.

I do like the motorcycles in Sleeping Dogs, though.

Might be because I've always preferred arcade racers to simulation, but GTA4 driving always felt like trying to drive a bouncy castle on ice to me.

If anyone is having trouble with the races I would recommend not using the handbrake. Just let off the gas or brake for a moment. I find the handbrake useless as the hit to your speed is just too much.

I'm surprised I'm enjoying the story as much as I am. Of course it's not great, but it's interesting enough. The script and the voice acting are certainly better than average.

I really didn't like the combat at first, but it does get better.

Get a grip.
You just told him to respect your opinion and in the same breath called him pathetic for not liking a game you enjoy...

Anyway, I agree GTA IV has awful handling that is counter-productive to fun it makes the game a chore to play. From the little I've played of this I vastly prefer it although I don't think the driving model in it is anything special.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Somewhat strange is the situation with regards the use of water shaders in the game: they appear to be on a par with the PS3 game, lacking similar reflections and texture compared to the Xbox 360 version."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sleeping-dogs-face-off

Haven't really noticed any water reflection problems, but I don't have the 360 version to compare. If the problem is there, it's bound to be a bug, because every single other aspect of the game is far more than port of the 360/PS3 version. It looks leaps and bounds better than the console iteration.

I like this game. But it does feel ever so slightly janky, a little bit rough. The camera can be an issue and the driving, well, it's a bit too OTT for me. It's usable and drivable just a bit too much.
But it can look very good, particularly at night in the rain. Not a big fan of the combat gameplay but it works well enough. I just need more practice at the timing etc.

Sojgat

I'm not understanding the hate for the driving in this game, I thought it was great. it has a very arcadey feel, which helps the super fast vehicles stay managable. The cars felt fine to me, but I spent most of my time on the bikes. Say whatever you like about the handling model in GTA4, but the bikes were no fun, you were sent flying over the handlebars constantly. The decision to let players just hold back for rear wheeling and not being able to overcompensate was genius. Sure it's simple, but it's fun, and when you hit oncoming cars you just jump them. Watch Saints Row 4 copy this.

mxgt

Banned
Honestly at max settings at night when raining I think this is the best looking game I've ever seen besides maybe Metro

If only SLI wasn't fucking up my screenshot taking programs!

also: game needs more emma stone, 2 missions? wtfisthisshit.avi

leng jai

The main problem with the car handling is that it has no weight to it. The brakes seem way too good sometimes as well. I've come to a complete stop sometimes when it felt like I didn't really brake that hard.

Forkball

I like the driving, but I admit I have trouble making sharp turns. Maybe I will try the recommendation of just letting off the gas instead of using the brake to drift. I really wasn't a fan of GTA IV's "boat" controls, it turned me off the game. Especially motorcycles, sweet mercy. The cars in Sleeping Dogs can also take a beating which is nice, plus I really like the "ramming" mechanic. It's so much better than just swerving your car back and forth like a see saw. And you can drive with your door open, and then LEAP onto another person's car, how cool is that?

Arcteryx

The main problem with the car handling is that it has no weight to it. The brakes seem way too good sometimes as well. I've come to a complete stop sometimes when it felt like I didn't really brake that hard.

Yea the brakes on all the cars seem a tad too powerful, especially once you get the higher-end cars. With those you almost spin them around if you brake heavily and turn.

I like the driving, but I admit I have trouble making sharp turns. Maybe I will try the recommendation of just letting off the gas instead of using the brake to drift. I really wasn't a fan of GTA IV's "boat" controls, it turned me off the game. Especially motorcycles, sweet mercy. The cars in Sleeping Dogs can also take a beating which is nice, plus I really like the "ramming" mechanic. It's so much better than just swerving your car back and forth like a see saw. And you can drive with your door open, and then LEAP onto another person's car, how cool is that?

Let off gas > brake > e-brake

The races will help hone your skills a lot. E-brakes are really only good for the twisty mountain section, otherwise they absolutely DESTROY your speed.

stn

If I beat the main story can I go back and do everything else? I mean all the favors, cases, busts, and upgrades? Thanks.

omonimo

Banned
Haven't really noticed any water reflection problems, but I don't have the 360 version to compare. If the problem is there, it's bound to be a bug, because every single other aspect of the game is far more than port of the 360/PS3 version. It looks leaps and bounds better than the console iteration.

Isn't it a bug, simply use some less & poor water effects seen in the ps3 version & I suspect because its working thanks to edram of 360. Probably needs to rewrite something to work properly I imagine. Is not that tough porting to console to pc & improve things (especially from so ancient hardware) but the problem comes when the hardware use edram, something completely 'alien' for a pc. I remember COD: BLOPS show something similar in the transparancies effects: the flames are the same of the ps3 version just in high buffer where in 360 are drawn more detailed.

robot

Did anyone buy the RETRO TRIAD PACK?
cUnIN.png

I did! Really wanted that outfit and the van is pretty awesome. It says I get a Retro Triad bonus when it's equipped but I have no idea what that means.

EDIT: It says what the bonus is right there in the description, whooops.

Arcteryx

If I beat the main story can I go back and do everything else? I mean all the favors, cases, busts, and upgrades? Thanks.

Yes. Although, I don't know why you can still do some of the events though, seeing as
you're no longer a Triad-bro

I agree, actually i was streaming on twitch.tv and the guy said i was the best at driving on the game he had seen this far, i go full speed and destroy turns with ease, its the most fun i've ever in my life had with an open sim game.

Yea after about ~5hrs or so I got used to the driving mechanics, but I still think the way the camera freaks out while reversing is something I'll never get used to.

It has the best driving system out of the big open world games this gen gta4/jc2/sr3. I don't know why you like GTAs so much when every car turns like a tank. That's not fun.

I agree, actually i was streaming on twitch.tv and the guy said i was the best at driving on the game he had seen this far, i go full speed and destroy turns with ease, its the most fun i've ever in my life had with an open sim game.

Avixph

I did! Really wanted that outfit and the van is pretty awesome. It says I get a Retro Triad bonus when it's equipped but I have no idea what that means.

EDIT: It says what the bonus is right there in the description, whooops.

I really liked the glasses, are they even sold in real life?

Seeing All that benchmarking stuff reminds me why I left PC Gaming in favour of consoles. Don't get me wrong here, but It's kind of stressing to be worried about All that stuff just to play a game. Get the disc in -----> Get controller-----> Have fun.

Long live consoles.

Seeing All that benchmarking stuff reminds me why y left PC Gaming in favour of consoles. Don't get me wrong here, but It's kind of stressing to be worried about All that stuff just to play a game. Get the disc in -----> Get controller-----> Have fun.

Long live consoles.

There's nothing stopping you from doing that.

People are benchmarking to get the absolute best performance here. You can easily just "Get the disc in(/click Play in Steam) -----> Get controller(/keyboard+mouse)-----> Have fun."

Why posting something like this? darksiders isn't even the same gender

Which one is female?

Dilly

Banned
There's nothing stopping you from doing that.

People are benchmarking to get the absolute best performance here. You can easily just "Get the disc in(/click Play in Steam) -----> Get controller(/keyboard+mouse)-----> Have fun."

Pretty much, just set it on medium and play. It isn't rocket science.

After seeing the gameplay vids I worried about the car and bike physics. It looked very bad. I still went ahead and bought the game. I'm holding all of you accountable.

Who are you and why are you telling me what's fun and what to like?

He's stating his opinion like you.

Personally, GTA IV's driving is better, even though I really despise the game.

The reason why I don't care much for this is simply because unlike Gran Theft Auto, which obviously focus a lot on its driving model because the name itself is a term for motor theft, in this game you are not Steve McQueen. you're Jackie Chan.

I don't drive much, I usually just ride the taxi to get to another place to beat shit up. There's a quest that I need to drive somewhere? Fine then, just as long as I get to beat shit up later.

So don't try to play this like GTA, try a different approach. Have fun with the battle system, the car chase missions, or singing along with the karaoke! It's an action game and while driving is one flaw it has, some of its other systems are so fun and wonderful that I can turn a blind eye to it in the game.

Top Bottom