• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Pretty much, just set it on medium and play. It isn't rocket science.

Exactly. I'd much rather have the option of ensuring my game runs at a smooth, stable framerate, unlike on consoles where you have no choice and are at the mercy of the developer's technical prowess and hardware.

jimi_dini

replay missions - check
all the collectables are easy to spot - check
varied missions - check
beating up a thug with a phone from a phonebooth - check
beating someone up with a fish - check
great food mechanic - check
competent driving controls - check
great cop/triad mechanic through missions - check
good fighting system - check
proper cellphone implementation - check

oh god, I love this game and I'm only a few hours in

The only real "negative" is that they fucked up some asian PS3 controls. For example in a few situations, I will get shown X, although I'm supposed to press O. Other times it's displayed correctly. I hope that there are no real issues coming from those. Hacking cameras works (unlike the broken Bond game)

replay missions - check
varied missions - check

Wait, what!??

SJRB

Gold Member
After seeing the gameplay vids I worried about the car and bike physics. It looked very bad. I still went ahead and bought the game. I'm holding all of you accountable.

Driving is such a small fragment of this game that even if you don't particularly enjoy it there is still tons of other stuff to make playing this game worth your while.

We will all accept your humble apologies later.

By the way - is the car door slam a special move? I've been trying to pull it off but Wei just casually smashes a guy's head against the car.

Pretty much, just set it on medium and play. It isn't rocket science.

Whats the point of beeing a PC GAMER other than being picky about visuals and performance? I'm not saying i don't understand it, just saying I find it stressing and pointless nowadays. I was in that road and I Don't wanna go back.

Whats the point of beeing a PC GAMER other than being picky about visuals and performance? I'm not saying i don't understand it, just saying I find it stressing and pointless nowadays. I was in that road and I Don't wanna go back.

Well I guess a lot of people aren't pc gamers then.

Believe it or not, but quite a lot of people play pc games with mid range rigs and are fine.

Branson

When you create one through Nvidia Control panel it'll show up in games as well as a selectable resolution.

I see. The problem I'm having is that the resolution I run at (right now, unless I want to buy a new tv for 1080p) is supported already and it doesnt let me make a duplicate. It's in the game but at 170hz which I wouldn't think TVs support anyway. 720p stretches the image over the edges too for me, and looks pretty bad.

I'm using VGA by the way.

With the ingame resolution set to mine it only runs windowed. It's really weird, Ive only had this problem with this game. Darksiders 1 doesn't even have my resolution select-able.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything."

sleep1oexgy.png

- Wei "Motherfucking" Shen, 2012

sleep2dqajo.png

DanielJr82

Try seeing a jade statue by peering into a beautiful loft apartment you just climbed your way up to verify, only to find that you cannot access it for some reason.
Maybe the place will open after a cut scene or mission is completed? I still don't know how to get to it.

JoeBoy101

After seeing the gameplay vids I worried about the car and bike physics. It looked very bad. I still went ahead and bought the game. I'm holding all of you accountable.

As long as you understand and accept arcadey driving physics, it'll be fine. If you're looking for something much more realistic like GTA IV or Mafia II, then you'll probably be disappointed. That said, I prefer something a bit more playable than those and thought it fit with the game nicely.

ascully

Did anyone notice in the Majong gambling den in the 360 version, blatant html is on the screen just before the press a prompt.

Remember when that cop guy said that there aren't many guns in hongkong?

Probably the biggest problem i have with the game :S

Also... need to have a 'mobile' way to clean up. I didn't buy this expensive suit to be walking around covered in blood and gore all day :X

It's pretty hilarious when you do that with the doctor robe. Vigilante doctor!

smr00

Banned
replay missions - check
varied missions - check
good fighting system - check
proper cellphone implementation - check

The only real "negative" is that they fucked up some asian PS3 controls. For example in a few situations, I will get shown X, although I'm supposed to press O. Other times it's displayed correctly. I hope that there are no real issues coming from those. Hacking cameras works (unlike the broken Bond game)
I spent 3 hours yesterday doing completely ridiculous shit and i love it.

I found these big boat things so i started doing this thing where i would throw someone in a trunk, drive the car onto the boat and drive the boat into the ocean and leave them there. I don't know why but i find it hilarious. Grabbing people and throwing them into oncoming traffic, over ramps, into the ocean. Grabbing random pedestrians and murdering them into those fan things.

You know what i love most about this game? I don't even care that i don't have a gun 90% of the time, most open world games shove guns down your throat but this game doesn't and i love it. And the side-missions are actually fun.

I have a feeling this game is going to go down as one of the most underrated games of this generation. I know a lot of people that refuse to play it simply because it had the horrible True Crime brand on it at one time, because uninformed people think it's a GTA clone and that makes me sad because this game is genuinely fun. It has it's problems but i have honestly enjoyed my 10-12 hours in this then i did all sandbox games to release this gen combined.

Jac_Solar

Does the map change at any point, or does the map you start out with remain throughout the entire game?

It's extremely small -- I measured it by putting a custom waypoint marker on the other side of the town, which tells you how far away it is in Meters, and in total it measured about 9 square kilometers, or 3.4 square miles, and like 40-50% of the entire map (The middle) is blocked off/isn't accessible.

Zaptruder

Banned
Does the map change at any point, or is it the same map you start out with throughout the entire game?

It's extremely small -- I measured it by putting a custom waypoint marker on the other side of the town, which tells you how far away it is in Meters, and in total it measured about 9 square kilometers, or 3.4 square miles, and like 40-50% of the entire map (The middle) is blocked off/isn't accessible.

Map doesn't change.

And yeah, it's funny to think that the entire hong kong map is actually significantly smaller than my suburb (which is roughly 6km x 4km - 24 sqkm). It really is like an elaborate hong kong theme park.

Great job OP on this thread. Just picked this badboy up! Love me some Sandbox games that arent GTA4. lol I got my goofy Sandbox game fix from Saints Row, now for the more serious experience!

Sojgat

Does the map change at any point, or is it the same map you start out with throughout the entire game?

No, but size doesn't matter (so I've been told). The map is hugely varied and there's lots to see and do, don't worry about it the game is fantastic.

The Chef

Where in the hell have I been?
I was watching Breaking Bad last night and there was a Sleeping Dog commercial. I immediately thought "Where the hell did that come from?" I've been spending too much time in OT.
Where are the reviews?

Where in the hell have I been?
I was watching Breaking Bad last night and there was a Sleeping Dog commercial. I immediately thought "Where the hell did that come from?" I've been spending too much time in OT.
Where are the reviews?

Forget reviews. Read a few pages here then go out and buy it

The Chef

Thanks for the input guys. Might as well pick up the 360 version.
Man Im excited. I wasn't expecting to play any type of a decent game till fall.

Sojgat

I was just reading through a couple on this page. Game sounds exactly like what I want in a sandbox.
Any complaints as to PS3/360?

I played on 360, framerate was fine, only real problem is the graphics are as expected not what they are on PC. Areas with a lot of trees and shrubs can look kind of bad IMO, but all the urban areas look fine to great.

SJRB

Gold Member
Map doesn't change.

And yeah, it's funny to think that the entire hong kong map is actually significantly smaller than my suburb (which is roughly 6km x 4km - 24 sqkm). It really is like an elaborate hong kong theme park.

The waypoint may show only 2,4 km for example, but because you can't really cut straight through you have to drive all the way around the mountain in the center of the map.

The map is surprisingly big, even though the devs stated they went for density instead of map size.

JoeBoy101

Where do you find the white suit jacket? It is everything I have ever wanted.

You get it through a story mission. About 2/3rds of the way through, I'd say. Its a big mission and you'll remember it.

SJRB said:
The waypoint may show only 2,4 km for example, but because you can't really cut straight through you have to drive all the way around the mountain in the center of the map.

The map is surprisingly big, even though the devs stated they went for density instead of map size.

It certainly feels way bigger than what it is.

bitoriginal

One thing I love about this game is the mature story line behind the over the top violence and fish slapping antics. Don't get me wrong, it's not top of its class or anything, but it's definitely a cut above what I expected from the game. There are issues with things cutting too abruptly to something new or not explaining things, like when you wake up in a new apartment with literally no explanation of how you got that apartment, but overall they've done a really good job with the story imo.

Also, If you read the reports on Wei's phone it really adds to the experience. Love the psych evals and whole Departed/Infernal Affairs vibe.

derExperte

Why are you posting this in the thread about a game with one of the best ports in a long while that looks way beyond the console versions even on mid-tier PCs? Btw I find gaming on my PS3 stressful for various reasons so I'll only do it for exclusives, but who cares?

Sojgat

One thing I love about this game is the mature story line behind the over the top violence and fish slapping antics. Don't get me wrong, it's not top of its class or anything, but it's definitely a cut above what I expected from the game. There are issues with things cutting too abruptly to something new or not explaining things, like when you wake up in a new apartment with literally no explanation of how you got that apartment, but overall they've done a really good job with the story imo.

Also, If you read the reports on Wei's phone it really adds to the experience. Love the psych evals and whole Departed/Infernal Affairs vibe.

The voice acting adds a lot to it as well, It's really excellent across the board. My Favourite part was Tom Wilkinson doing
his Boondock Saints style crime scene reconstruction
. I also had a laugh half way through the game when I realised Jackie was Edison Chen.

Maybe the place will open after a cut scene or mission is completed? I still don't know how to get to it.

This is it exactly. And as mentioned its so you don't get the last upgrade early.

Just beat the game last night, 40 hours and still some things to do. Really really enjoyed the game.

Top Bottom