• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

The Chef

BTW, awesome awesome job on the OP. Just watched all those trailers which just increased my hype like crazy. Thats probably the first live action game trailer I have ever seen that wasn't embarrassingly terrible.

Necrovex

BTW, awesome awesome job on the OP. Just watched all those trailers which just increased my hype like crazy. Thats probably the first live action game trailer I have ever seen that wasn't embarrassingly terrible.

It's funny, none of the trailers brought any form of hype to me. I bought the game on a whim because of its $30 pricetag on GMG. I had a slightly lower expectation than the most of Gaf. When I started to play it and get into the game, it blew me away.

JoeBoy101

Funny thing is I never saw that live action trailer, just really bought this game in the blind. Going back and seeing that trailer is something.

Should have tried to work Ms. Chu into it though.

vaelic

Banned
wtf is going on with green man gaming. trying to purchase this but keep getting the folloiwing

We are unable to process your order
We are unable to process your order using this card. Please try another card or one of the alternate payment options.
There was a problem processing your payment, please try again.

i have money on all cards I tried using, to no avail...

Jac_Solar

No, but size doesn't matter (so I've been told). The map is hugely varied and there's lots to see and do, don't worry about it the game is fantastic.

Ok, nice. But I was very disappointed when I found out that the huge empty looking area in the middle of the map is actually cut off, or not accessible at all (Walls all around.) -- I was hoping that there was a large forest/some random fun stuff.

wtf is going on with green man gaming. trying to purchase this but keep getting the folloiwing

We are unable to process your order
We are unable to process your order using this card. Please try another card or one of the alternate payment options.
There was a problem processing your payment, please try again.

i have money on all cards I tried using, to no avail...

its because they are in the UK. i had to call chase and speak with a customer service rep to tell them to allow me to purchase from their site. it sucks but just call your CC company and tell them its actually you trying to buy it, not someone else

Im sure this has been answered already..
On the 360, the driving...it looks fucked up, like jittery, while in motion. Not sure is its the frame rate or some kind of blurring but it looks bad.
Anyway to fix that?

vaelic

Banned
its because they are in the UK. i had to call chase and speak with a customer service rep to tell them to allow me to purchase from their site. it sucks but just call your CC company and tell them its actually you trying to buy it, not someone else

weird I have purchased from them before with this credit card. why would it have changed?

Derrick01

Banned
Any advice for the class A bike races besides not sucking? Giving me a hard time.

Yeah the bike races are the hardest because you can't ram anyone off the road :p

I did a class B challenge and struggled pretty good but pulled it off. You really have to master the driving system.

massoluk

Banned
Finally finished. Great game. The game is so close to be an exceptional game, so very close. I basically agreed with Kohler's review at Wired, everything is just almost perfect except a few nitpicking here and there. Clocked in at 22 hours with almost every side mission finished.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Did anyone notice in the Majong gambling den in the 360 version, blatant html is on the screen just before the press a prompt.

Yes! I even took a picture lol..

a82zO.jpg

The game is really great! I cannot stop playing. Although I kind of dislike the triangulate mini-game.

KePoW

Banned
On the 360, the driving...it looks fucked up, like jittery, while in motion. Not sure is its the frame rate or some kind of blurring but it looks bad.
Anyway to fix that?

On the PC version, the game uses a shaky cam when driving at high speed. No way to turn it off, for now.

Sojgat

Anyway to fix that?

On the PC version, the game uses a shaky cam when driving at high speed. No way to turn it off, for now.

I think it is just the shaky cam effect. I remember noticing it at the start of the game and thinking to myself that the performance had improved for some reason by the time I started doing street races. I guess I just got used to it.

I some how kicked my self off a wall and round house kicked some guy in the face. This game does more things right than any open world game thats come out. I just wish you could use melee objects while riding a motorcycle road rash style.

nashb81

Neo Member
This game is fucking awesome. Also popping a wheelie on your bike and then using oncoming cars as ramps is just so fucking cool.

As good as the port is though, I'd definitely say United Front messed up with the PC controls. Game does not control well with KB and mouse.

I think it is just the shaky cam effect. I remember noticing it at the start of the game and thinking to myself that the performance had improved for some reason by the time I started doing street races. I guess I just got used to it.

Thanks Sojgat (and Kepow). Guess Ill just have to get used to it too!

SJRB

Gold Member
Jesus, the Peggy
and Winston wedding is fucked up.

And I really liked her, too.

This game is crazy.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, I was
pissed when that happened, though I had a feeling it was coming.

I love how
the lines of morality are starting to blur, not just for Wei but for me as the player. I mean, you start off as a cop trying to infiltrate this random group of street corner thugs who you don't give a crap about. But after just having played the wedding mission I want to hunt down and kill the people responsible

Great storytelling.

Flunkie

Banned
This game is fucking awesome. Also popping a wheelie on your bike and then using oncoming cars as ramps is just so fucking cool.

As good as the port is though, I'd definitely say United Front messed up with the PC controls. Game does not control well with KB and mouse.

Meh, I always just use a 360 controller for these types of games on PC.

Arcteryx

I love how
the lines of morality are starting to blur, not just for Wei but for me as the player. I mean, you start off as a cop trying to infiltrate this random group of street corner thugs who you don't give a crap about. But after just having played the wedding mission I want to hunt down and kill the people responsible

Great storytelling.

There's more to it than that though:
They aren't exactly "random"; Wei has a motive for doing it: his sister and Dogeyes. I know it's a game and all, but I had a hard time believing they would let someone with such a past go undercover in that organization.

All these spoilers I can't read make me want to go back to the story missions, last one I did was
meeting Uncle Po
. Can't help but just cruise around the city though, I just bought a Class A bike and have been jumping from side mission to side mission.

whoa ihad a weird moment....I quit as my sleeping dogs crashed and reloaded a save game and now all of a sudden my game is set to fast forward....has anyone had this before and know how to fix this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm guessing the PC patches helped since I haven't seen the game crash in days. In the first day or two I probably have 5-6 crashes

JoeBoy101

There's more to it than that though:
They aren't exactly "random"; Wei has a motive for doing it: his sister and Dogeyes. I know it's a game and all, but I had a hard time believing they would let someone with such a past go undercover in that organization.

Yeah, but
Pandrew had his reasons for sending you in. Probably because of your background, not in spite of it, and knew your motivations would mean little questions of his machinations.

I have to say though, about the
Wedding, I found myself surprised at how pissed I was about Peggy getting killed, but especially Winston. He seemed such a dumb stereotypical muscle head at the beginning, but when he starts opening up to you and shows you how much the gang as family means to him, he really started growing on me. Though his death proved a valuable lesson.

HKShip2012-08-1522-21-18-89.jpg

Do not fuck with this woman.

The Wizard said:
All these spoilers I can't read make me want to go back to the story missions, last one I did was
meeting Uncle Po
. Can't help but just cruise around the city though, I just bought a Class A bike and have been jumping from side mission to side mission.

Shit son, you're only like 2-3 missions before shit goes all out. Get to it.

nashb81

Neo Member
Meh, I always just use a 360 controller for these types of games on PC.

I would with something like Darksiders as well. However, in games where there's shooting involved, I like using the mouse and KB. Anyway, it isn't much of an issue since the game's really melee oriented.

JoeBoy101

I would with something like Darksiders as well. However, in games where there's shooting involved, I like using the mouse and KB. Anyway, it isn't much of an issue since the game's really melee oriented.

Normally, I'd totally agree with you, but, like you said, the shooting is limited here and passable enough with the controller. That and the melee is much more suited for a controller.

Archon473

Finally finished. Great game. The game is so close to be an exceptional game, so very close. I basically agreed with Kohler's review at Wired, everything is just almost perfect except a few nitpicking here and there. Clocked in at 22 hours with almost every side mission finished.

I just read the review. I get the impression everything he mentions would be fundamental reasons to condemn this game. Counter-intuitive overlapping controls (safely place a perp in your trunk or slam his head into it) and unnecessary busy-work segments (return to your hideout before a side mission registers are "completed") sound like things that would frustrate and ruin the experience. Before I can care about a game's intriguing plot and A-list voice-talent, the shooting/fighting/driving AKA problem-solving has to be right. The city is beautiful, but is the layout inviting to explore? Do I want to venture to every nook and cranny, or is the city designed like a bent corridor with the important stuff at each end? I watched the Gametrailers review as well as read Ben Kuchera's write-up. The attributes praised are not necessary for me to enjoy a game; on the contrary, the "trivial" design flaws are critical. Is driving exhilarating? Are gun-fights harrowing? Are fist-fights nerve-wracking? Is maneuvering comfortable? Every video I've watched tells me the answer is, "No." I would love to like this game. Correct me if I am wrong.

nashb81

Neo Member
Normally, I'd totally agree with you, but, like you said, the shooting is limited here and passable enough with the controller. That and the melee is much more suited for a controller.

Yeah, I've got quite used to the controls now. In fact, I feel driving around the city feels a lot better with the controller.

nashb81

Neo Member
I just read the review. I get the impression everything he mentions would be fundamental reasons to condemn this game. Counter-intuitive overlapping controls (safely place a perp in your trunk or slam his head into it) and unnecessary busy-work segments (return to your hideout before a side mission registers are "completed") sound like things that would frustrate and ruin the experience. Before I can care about a game's intriguing plot and A-list voice-talent, the shooting/fighting/driving AKA problem-solving has to be right. The city is beautiful, but is the layout inviting to explore? Do I want to venture to every nook and cranny, or is the city designed like a bent corridor with the important stuff at each end? I watched the Gametrailers review as well as read Ben Kuchera's write-up. The attributes praised are not necessary for me to enjoy a game; on the contrary, the "trivial" design flaws are critical. Is driving exhilarating? Are gun-fights harrowing? Are fist-fights nerve-wracking? Is maneuvering comfortable? Every video I've watched tells me the answer is, "No." I would love to like this game. Correct me if I am wrong.

It depends on what camp you're from. If you don't mind the arcady controls, driving can be quite enjoyable (I wouldn't really use exhilarating). I'm nearly seven hours in and have only experienced one gun fight till now so I really can't comment on them but they did seem quite easy. Fist fights are without a doubt, the highlight in the game. Combat is fluid, brutal and very satisfying. It's simple to pick up but tough to master.

However there are few things I did not really care for. Like you mentioned, the Drug bust side missions all play out the same and it's really annoying to have to drive all the way back to your safehouse just to successfully wrap one up.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Anyone else having a bug on PC where the UI just disappears and most of the controls stop working? Game restart is the only solution.

JoeBoy101

I just read the review. I get the impression everything he mentions would be fundamental reasons to condemn this game. Counter-intuitive overlapping controls (safely place a perp in your trunk or slam his head into it) and unnecessary busy-work segments (return to your hideout before a side mission registers are "completed") sound like things that would frustrate and ruin the experience. Before I can care about a game's intriguing plot and A-list voice-talent, the shooting/fighting/driving AKA problem-solving has to be right. The city is beautiful, but is the layout inviting to explore? Do I want to venture to every nook and cranny, or is the city designed like a bent corridor with the important stuff at each end?

I think there are either 3 or 4 times at most where you go to your pad and to bed to advance the story. Its not common, its rare. As for the overlapping in controls, you're going to get some of that if you're going to be provided alot of options. I never found it to be a huge issue. As for the city being inviting, I found it to be. There's plenty of places that are tucked out of the way to discover, and sections that are even off-street, like the night market, or the areas in Kennedy.

Archon473 said:
Is driving exhilarating? Are gun-fights harrowing? Are fist-fights nerve-wracking? Is maneuvering comfortable? Every video I've watched tells me the answer is, "No." I would love to like this game. Correct me if I am wrong.

I wouldn't call the gun fights harrowing, but they are exciting, especially in the context and that you start some of them without a gun and have to disarm someone. That said, there is a LOT fewer gun battles than other games, this is decidedly focused on melee. Fist fights nerve wracking? Haven't played an open world game with a better melee system. Shit, haven't played many action games with a better melee system. Maneuvering is arcadey, but what I expected from a game like this. The jitter cam at high speeds is annoying, but at most, a nuisance to me.

So, IMHO, no. That's the wrong impression you got there. Its hardly a masterpiece, but then, neither is GTA IV. For my opinion, it stands up there with RDR, Just Cause 2, and Saint's Row.

vaelic said:
to you guys who purchased on GMG, did you have unable to complete order issues?

Issues? Shit, most of the people it seemed who preordered didn't get a key until several hours after the game went live. Thread was melting down at the time and I was feeling guilty posting impressions.

KingKong

does this game end when you beat the final mission or can you keep playing?

also I just did the
wedding massacre mission
, about how far am I?.

Kinda dissapointed that the races are so easy, I'm using that starting vehicle you got from the police mission and just cruise to first place. The drug bust thing seems kind of repetetive too.

I like the orange marker events, do they just randomly pop up? I was on my way to do one of those and died (diving out of car next to wall = bad idea) and when I respawned at the hospital, it was gone

JoeBoy101

does this game end when you beat the final mission or can you keep playing?

also I just did the
wedding massacre mission
, about how far am I?.

I'd say you're about 2/3rds through. At the point you're at, more gunplay comes into the mix. A good amount more. Also, at the end, you can keep playing and do any side quests or collectibles you missed. I even did a date after finishing the game.
Sandra.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ironically infiltrating the triad.

sleep1ysjpk.png

...and unnecessary busy-work segments (return to your hideout before a side mission registers are "completed")

The only parts of the game that 'require' you to return to your hide-out are optional drug busts (defeat gang, hack camera, return to hide out to bust the dealer over the cam), and when the story asks you to return to your pad and sleep (which has happened once, maybe twice). Every other mission in the game (favours, racing, cases, story missions, fights, etc) don't require you to return. They're marked as finished the moment you finish them.

KePoW

Banned

Have you bothered to read any of the user comments the past few pages? That's a lot better than reviews.

Vast majority of people here who actually have the game, say that it's fun and like it a lot.

I don't get all analytical about games, as far as critiquing every single aspect...that's just too serious and anal. Bottom line for me is if the game is fun overall, and Sleeping Dogs easily fits that bill.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'd say you're about 2/3rds through. At the point you're at, more gunplay comes into the mix. A good amount more. Also, at the end, you can keep playing and do any side quests or collectibles you missed. I even did a date after finishing the game.
Sandra.

Holy shit, that's 2/3rd? I just did that mission. Wow, time to slow it down on the main missions then.

Top Bottom