• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

JoeBoy101

Holy shit, that's 2/3rd? I just did that mission. Wow, time to slow it down on the main missions then.

Actually, I retract that. My apologies. On consulting the interwebs, you're just slightly under halfway by mission count.

EatChildren said:
Ironically infiltrating the triad.
iXc405mwjXDXD.png

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's up with the cutscenes? They seem to display at an odd framerate. Fraps claims 60 but the camera movement and animation doesn't appear that way. Game itself is silky smooth.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game is just way too janky for my tastes. Was kinda fun for a couple hours though.

So I just finished the mission in which
their was a shootout at the cemetery
, how much more game is there? School starts monday and I kinda wanna finish this up before then.

Arcteryx

Holy shit, that's 2/3rd? I just did that mission. Wow, time to slow it down on the main missions then.

Yea it speeds up considerably from that point on.

, how much more game is there? School starts monday and I kinda wanna finish this up before then.
You're very close to the end then.

Alright, I'll go give those a shot.

I've never enjoyed racing in open world games though.
Do favors + races and you'll be lvl 10 in hardly any time at all. The 1000cc bike races net you like half a level each time.

JoeBoy101

You do not have much left at all. You can probably finish the story tonight.

BTW, when I say where you are in the story, this is completely separate from cop missions, which are essentially side quests, though pretty meaty ones.

Ironically infiltrating the triad.

sleep1ysjpk.png

The only parts of the game that 'require' you to return to your hide-out are optional drug busts (defeat gang, hack camera, return to hide out to bust the dealer over the cam), and when the story asks you to return to your pad and sleep (which has happened once, maybe twice). Every other mission in the game (favours, racing, cases, story missions, fights, etc) don't require you to return. They're marked as finished the moment you finish them.

Is that a Battle Royale school uniform I spy? TELL ME HOW YOU GOT IT.

Oh, and I wouldn't eat the soup at the Golden Koi...

I'd say you're about 2/3rds through. At the point you're at, more gunplay comes into the mix. A good amount more. Also, at the end, you can keep playing and do any side quests or collectibles you missed. I even did a date after finishing the game.
Sandra.

That's 2/3? Doesn't feel like it, that means it's wrapping up soon? I just did the
Serial Killer/Initiation Missions.

Got it for PS3. I'll get it again for PC when it's non-Steam.

Also, it's fucking sold out everywhere for PS3! Had to go through 5 stores to finally find it at my last choice, EB Games, which they had 2 left.

There were plenty of copies for Xbox at every store though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wedding mission is 14/30. Still plenty to go.

Is that a Battle Royale school uniform I spy? TELL ME HOW YOU GOT IT.

Nein, made it myself.

- Aspirazone Buff Jacket
- Ripped Tight 80's Jeans (might have been DLC)
- Chequered Ankle Boots
- Retro Shaggy Hair (DLC)

You do not have much left at all. You can probably finish the story tonight.

BTW, when I say where you are in the story, this is completely separate from cop missions, which are essentially side quests, though pretty meaty ones.

Yeah I think I finished those up. The last one I did was the one with the
rescuing of the girls

Okie, I'll guess ill try to wrap this up tonight. Been starting to feel the 'I kinda want to finish this already'.

And the amount of hand to hand fighting in story missions are seriously lacking for the most part.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Game cleared, definitely way up there with Red Dead Redemption as the best open world sandbox -title.

Esch

Banned
im kinda laughing at this game rendering a knife or crowbar unusable after a couple strikes, i understand its for balancing purposes and to keep the H2H the focus of the combat, but still

Derrick01

Banned
Fun fact: IF you grab an umbrella and enter a car then get out, he will use the umbrella

mind blown. I was trying so hard to figure out how to use one after I punched it out of some civilian's hand. All I ended up doing was accidentally throwing it in a cop's face.

KePoW

Banned
Game cleared, definitely way up there with Red Dead Redemption as the best open world sandbox -title.

Agreed.

I still put RDR slightly ahead, but that's one of my favorite games of all time.

I rank SD slightly ahead of Just Cause 2, and noticeably more fun than GTA4 (which I still liked).

AcridMeat

Banned
mind blown. I was trying so hard to figure out how to use one after I punched it out of some civilian's hand. All I ended up doing was accidentally throwing it in a cop's face.
This sounds like the correct use.

Daily check in that this game is great and I'm so glad I bought it. I'm at I think 60% through story wise
Just dealt with Dogeyes and solved Case 2.

yeah, the 'assassin creed chases' are a bit janky, but everything else seems pretty solid. Heck, the shooting feels better than a lot of 3rd person shooters i've played (cough, uncharted 3). Combat is great, wish there was more variety.

It's a shame that you never fight
dudes that can counter like the monks in that mission
like ever again.

There really isn't any real progression of more difficulty baddies in this.

Branson

I can't believe I'm going to have to spend like $800 for a new tv just to fucking play this game. I just wish they would have just put in normal resolution at the right hz so I don't have to spend more money. Ugh. Who the fuck uses 170hz for a single tv anyway?

Forkball

Just did the wedding mission.

VU7DZ.gif

This game just keeps delivering. I must admit I also highly enjoyed the mission before that one too with
the monks. Haha that came out of nowhere.
The gunplay isn't so bad, but bullets hurt a lot and the cover system isn't so intuitive. Those gun-based drug bust missions are nigh near impossible because there's always a guy that pops up behind you with an automatic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Remember to believe.

sleep10vpsw.png

Derrick01

Banned
Agreed. The shooting in all the Uncharteds sucks ass.

Yeah reviewers were saying the shooting in this was pretty sub par but I thought it was more than serviceable. I was easily able to pull off headshots and slide over cover for takedowns. I was expecting much worse.

JoeBoy101

Yeah reviewers were saying the shooting in this was pretty sub par but I thought it was more than serviceable. I was easily able to pull off headshots and slide over cover for takedowns. I was expecting much worse.

Same. Not the best, but definitely playable, especially given the decided rarity of gunfights.

On a side note, I think EatChildren has justified the purchase for himself from all the screenshots it has given him.

sleep10vpsw.png

KingKong

does anyone else find the game really easy?

I'm just past the wedding mission and I didn't even grind out my cop/triad/face, only have 1 hp upgrade and not using any clothes bonuses, and I don't think I've died on a mission yet

Derrick01

Banned
Ah shit where did you find the suit with the tie Eatchildren? I've been looking for one of those but all I can find are open jacket suits without ties. They look nice but come on they can't match the classic.

EatChildren

On a side note, I think EatChildren has justified the purchase for himself from all the screenshots it has given him.

I'm probably spamming this thread. Sorry :p.

Game is well and truly justified. Steam says I have 22 hours played and I'm only ~50% through the game (main and side missions combined). All my excitement and interest has been completely justified, and I can't think of a sandbox game I've had more fun with this generation. Exactly the kind of game I wanted and both United Front Games and Square-Enix have my utmost respect for what they've delivered.

Ah shit where did you find the suit with the tie Eatchildren?

Clothing store in Central, not far from where you earn your second pad. There's a navy version too.

pahamrick

I love all the little attention to detail things that don't normally show up in open world games. I was beating up some guys for one of the drug bust missions and I happened to see an NPC walking by who stopped, and immediately pointed his cellphone at the fighting like he was recording it.

owlbeak

I love all the little attention to detail things that don't normally show up in open world games. I was beating up some guys for one of the drug bust missions and I happened to see an NPC walking by who stopped, and immediately pointed his cellphone at the fighting like he was recording it.
I always punch or roundhouse kick those dudes in the face and make them drop it. :D

Seronei

does anyone else find the game really easy?

I'm just past the wedding mission and I didn't even grind out my cop/triad/face, only have 1 hp upgrade and not using any clothes bonuses, and I don't think I've died on a mission yet

The game is really easy
except for the Bam Bam Club mission, which is twice as hard as anything before and after
. Some of the side stuff is pretty hard though.

Is the racing hard in this game? I hear talk of people stuck on some races because the computer flies right by on the last few stretches.

I'm shit at all forms of racing, so I don't think I'll be able to complete a game where the racing is extremely hard.

KingKong

The game is really easy
except for the Bam Bam Club mission, which is twice as hard as anything before and after

is that the karaoke/find guy in the bathroom one? What was so hard about it? There was lots of environmental stuff to get instakills with

Derrick01

Banned
Clothing store in Central, not far from where you earn your second pad. There's a navy version too.

Got it. I'll head there when I get more money. I blew 1.5 million on luxury cars. Rich people problems.

Is the racing hard in this game? I hear talk of people stuck on some races because the computer flies right by on the last few stretches.

I'm shit at all forms of racing, so I don't think I'll be able to complete a game where the racing is extremely hard.

I'm not very good at racing but they weren't too bad. I had to do an A class bike race 3 times because of the rubberband AI but that was the worst of it. If you buy the lamborghini car you can fly through the A class car races, and in any car race if anyone gets close to you you can ram them without penalty. The bike races are tougher because you can't ram so you have to really cut corners because on straightaways they're likely going to fly by you.

golem

The game is really easy

The only fight I had trouble with is near the end
the junkyard brawl.. but I just grabbed a car and ran them all over

Top Bottom