• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

clear31

I love the game but only have two complaints

1. I realize that the character is moving up the rankings but they just randomly throw you into a new fancier apartment at the drop of a dime. You simply will just wake up in a nicer apartment after a mission.

Other games at least would let you buy the place first or introduce the new place somehow within the story, this game just randomly gives you a fancier place as you progress.

2. I dont have the greatest vision but I certainly dont have the worst either, they couldn't make the subtitles a bit damn bigger???

jimi_dini

The only parts of the game that 'require' you to return to your hide-out are optional drug busts (defeat gang, hack camera, return to hide out to bust the dealer over the cam), and when the story asks you to return to your pad and sleep (which has happened once, maybe twice).

Yep

but you don't even need to return to your hideout after hacking a camera. You can hack multiple cameras and then go to your hideout and do all of them at once.

I almost didn't get this, but this thread convinced me. I've only played a couple of hours yet, but I'm really impressed. Slow-motion shooting gang members off motorcycles on the highway as a side mission? Yes, please.

No geometry behind the guys during the opening sequence. Going to update drivers and all the usual - anything else I need to do to fix it?

That fixed it...

Derrick01

Banned
I'm so glad I started really getting into these car delivery jobs. I've had 6 deliveries so far go for at least $200,000 and just had 2 in a row that went for about $450k and $570k. I'm close to 3 million in cash right now.

Lesath

White Blazer/White Shirt is from a store, whereas White Blazer/Black Shirt is from a lockbox.

I suppose I'm not alone in trying to make Wei look like:

3LNX0.jpg

Revoh

How does this game plays with a HD6870 1GB and i5 2500k?
Also, what's the cheapest place I can get it right now and how many gigs is the game download?

Caught up to
the wedding
mission, shit got real. 14 missions down and about 13 hours in.
Anyone else really enjoying the story in this game? I guess it's because I wasn't expecting much from that aspect of that game but it's actually been interesting and engaging so far.

Derrick01

Banned
What's the rcommended VRAM for the high resolution texture pack?

No idea but my 470 has about 1.2gb and it runs it just fine with it on. Granted I don't have everything else turned to max but I guess that doesn't really matter for your question.

edit: On another note I'm at 98% completion with only 2 more random events needed, which I have no idea where they are. I ran into one while I was doing tran's car deliveries but it was right next to the car I needed and it disappeared after I jumped into my car :(

ekim

How the fuck does this game get such mediocre review scores? All reviews I've read did sound like they'll score it with 10/10 but in the end they punish the game for minor flaws like the rudimentary skill tree like it would be better to have none. That's ridiculous.

Thanks. Bought from GMG for 36$.
I don't know what to expect from this game really, I usually don't like open world games, bah, I don't like GTA, or Rockstar in general.
I love Yakuza though, that's why I want to try this. Are they similar?

I'm the same way. I don't like open world games like GTA, but this game features Asian people being voiced by Asian people. How can I not support it lol. But seriously, the game looks good. The driving, combat, and almost everything else looks good to me. At this price, I feel like I can't pass it up. So I don't know if I'll like it, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Are the dates pointless?

It's clear that Wei is a playa and he just moves from girl to girl

Well I'd like for them to be expanded further. But yeah, as Derrick said they're only good for finding collectibles, haha. Screw you achievement guides

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well I'd like for them to be expanded further. But yeah, as Derrick said they're only good for finding collectibles, haha. Screw you achievement guides

Have you gotten the 10 types of guns or 10 types of melee achievements? Theyr'e the only ones I'm struggling with

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Bought from GMG for 36$.
I don't know what to expect from this game really, I usually don't like open world games, bah, I don't like GTA, or Rockstar in general.
I love Yakuza though, that's why I want to try this. Are they similar?

A lot of the in-game interface mechanics are derivative of GTAIV but greatly improved. Combat is more akin to a hybrid of Batman: Arkham Asylum (sorry, I haven't played Batman: Arkham City yet) and Assassins Creed. The story is pretty good. Not GTAIV or RDR levels of writing but competent with the exception of one late twist being predictable. A few glitches with some side-plot points for some people, but everyone has already informed the developers.

Also, your specs should run it fine. I have a similar setup and have everything on max w/the hi resolution pack. Just turn SSAO and the AA to minimum.

Anyone running on a PC with similar specs? I'd just like to know what to expect performance-wise.
i5 2500k
8gb ram
GTX465 1gb

I have a 6870 which is about the same performance wise, you should be okay. The only thing is AMD paid to have early access to the game so they could optimize their drivers pre-release. Nvidia just got their hands on the game and should have their own optimizations for a small improvement in game performance out soon.

Have fun guys :)

Derrick01

Banned
Have you gotten the 10 types of guns or 10 types of melee achievements? Theyr'e the only ones I'm struggling with

I did but I won't lie it was by pure chance. I wasn't trying to get them I was just picking up weapons during fights and luckily both popped.

The random events are going to screw me if there's no guide for them. These last 2 are hiding pretty good from me. After that all I need are about 4 gold medals and I should have all of the achievements.

Revoh

A lot of the in-game interface mechanics are derivative of GTAIV but greatly improved. Combat is more akin to a hybrid of Batman: Arkham Asylum (sorry, I haven't played Batman: Arkham City yet) and Assassins Creed. The story is pretty good. Not GTAIV or RDR levels of writing but competent with the exception of one late twist being predictable. A few glitches with some side-plot points for some people, but everyone has already informed the developers.

Also, your specs should run it fine. I have a similar setup and have everything on max w/the hi resolution pack. Just turn SSAO and the AA to minimum.

I have a 6870 which is about the same performance wise, you should be okay. The only thing is AMD paid to have early access to the game so they could optimize their drivers pre-release. Nvidia just got their hands on the game and should have their own optimizations for a small improvement in game performance out soon.

Have fun guys :)

Thanks man!

clear31

Can anyone help me out

I'm trying to beat all the martial arts clubs, I have one left and its the one in Central. I have looked all over the place and cannot get to it. It looks to be in like a thin alleyway behind buildings but I cant enter any buildings but one building that leads me to nothing. I go into this building thats like a small mall but with nothing to do inside of it.

I see nothing that can lead me to this martial arts club, its the last one left and annoying me

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I did but I won't lie it was by pure chance. I wasn't trying to get them I was just picking up weapons during fights and luckily both popped.

The random events are going to screw me if there's no guide for them. These last 2 are hiding pretty good from me. After that all I need are about 4 gold medals and I should have all of the achievements.

I barely needed more than a pistol for the shooting segments, so i'm more worried about my use of guns because I never used anything other than the pistol they gave you at certain drug busts, and i know you can't replay drug busts

Jimrpg

Just did the wedding mission.

VU7DZ.gif

This game just keeps delivering. I must admit I also highly enjoyed the mission before that one too with
the monks. Haha that came out of nowhere.
The gunplay isn't so bad, but bullets hurt a lot and the cover system isn't so intuitive. Those gun-based drug bust missions are nigh near impossible because there's always a guy that pops up behind you with an automatic.

Having just had my own wedding - i really felt for Winston (even though he was a bit of a prick (in a good way)) and getting you to drive Peggy around was a good move. It really is (supposed to be) the best day of your life. Now I'm looking forward to the rest of the game.

I also love the radio in the car

- Bach Orchestral Suite No.3 in D came on as I drove to the wedding to get my suit... amazing - i had this at my own wedding.... i stayed in the car and drove around the block to let it finish.

- the choice of songs it plays when someone else gets in the car or depending on the mission.

Oh and after Tiffany dumped me for no good reason, I put her in the boot and drove her off into the harbour.... (then realising what i did I tried to swim out and save her - but it doesn't let you dive down...)

its also hilarious that it lets you wear whatever you want - its funny to turn up topless, pantless with a gold chain and sunnies to the cutscenes... to ANY cutscene.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
wtf, I replayed an earlier mission on my end game save. Now I can't replay any of the missions after that one. I replayed the 2nd mission...fuck

I need to grind to max up my levels and the 2nd mission hardly gives me any exp. Fuck

Just finished it. Pretty good game. The story was pretty good, but it could have been a lot better. Still for a videogame story, it's up there. Definitely felt like a full game, although I doubt I'll be going back in for DLC.

bitoriginal

Those are mega-spoilers....

I just got spoiled in the screenshot thread and here.... Great.... Well I'm not coming back to these threads until I beat the game, because this is ridiculous.

They're very minor spoilers if spoilers at all... you've got nothing to worry about.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
27 hours later and just beaten the game. Really want to play a sequel now.

Same, I just finished the game 31 hours in all. Did everything, got everything. Loved it.

It was a real joy to play this game, but my biggest complaint would be that the main plot came and went too quickly. It was a lot like Mafia II in that regard, outstanding atmosphere, decent enough plot, great characters, really solid gameplay, but the overall progression felt rushed and severely underdeveloped.

I kept wanting to see more of the life. The game never really gave me a sense of what the life of a Triad member was like. Wei progressed through the ranks far too quickly, the entire main plot felt extremely bullet points only, just like Mafia II. I wish there was another 10 hours to the main campaign to really flesh out Wei's rise in the Triad and to develop the supporting cast. Other than Jackie, which wasnt even that well developed, Wei's relationship with everyone was almost non-existent. More police work would have been great too, a lot of the "tools" Wei had were barely ever used, like the security cameras, whats the point of hacking all of them when only like 1/3 were actually used, and even then only for the drug bust sidequest.

I would love to see a sequel where they really beefed up the game, providing a super detailed and well developed journey from the bottom ranks to Triad glory.

Top Bottom