• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

golem

Those are mega-spoilers....

I just got spoiled in the screenshot thread and here.... Great.... Well I'm not coming back to these threads until I beat the game, because this is ridiculous.

Yeah dont go in the screenshots thread if you're not halfway through the game at least..

The main missions get real good around 50-60% in. The
club shootout, wedding, and hospital shootouts
are great. The
hospital
in particular with
the power cut, sprinkler system going, tac lights all over the place, slow motion + headshot galore
was straight John Woo.

This has got to be in my top 5 open world games this generation. So fun.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is the Part Time Assassin costume supposed to be a reference?

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man

I wish I could remember the one guy who talks about how his food is 'sticky, short and leaves an impression' or something and that he knows a girl like that but nevermind that try my *insert food here*

clear31

Can anyone help me out

I'm trying to beat all the martial arts clubs, I have one left and its the one in Central. I have looked all over the place and cannot get to it. It looks to be in like a thin alleyway behind buildings but I cant enter any buildings but one building that leads me to nothing. I go into this building thats like a small mall but with nothing to do inside of it.

I see nothing that can lead me to this martial arts club, its the last one left and annoying me

nevermind, finally found it. That was pretty badly hidden

Grisby

Holy shit. The ending mission to this game is badass. Custom animations everywhere. Asian Max Payne killing everyone up in this *****.

Goal: Slaughter his men.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Sigh. Finished downloading it on Steam and now I'm crashing to desktop at the same point of the opening cinematic every time.

Anyone find a way around this? Going to try updating my drivers first.

Nevermind. Ended up underclocking my card and it worked fine.

Grisby

I thought the cinematic ending was decent. Everything wrapped up a little to nicely but then again, the game just loved throwing plot shit at you so there was nothing really to wrap up.

Great game though. Kept me entertained. I really love the ambient music that plays on the radio.

Zaptruder

Banned
Same, I just finished the game 31 hours in all. Did everything, got everything. Loved it.

It was a real joy to play this game, but my biggest complaint would be that the main plot came and went too quickly. It was a lot like Mafia II in that regard, outstanding atmosphere, decent enough plot, great characters, really solid gameplay, but the overall progression felt rushed and severely underdeveloped.

I kept wanting to see more of the life. The game never really gave me a sense of what the life of a Triad member was like. Wei progressed through the ranks far too quickly, the entire main plot felt extremely bullet points only, just like Mafia II. I wish there was another 10 hours to the main campaign to really flesh out Wei's rise in the Triad and to develop the supporting cast. Other than Jackie, which wasnt even that well developed, Wei's relationship with everyone was almost non-existent. More police work would have been great too, a lot of the "tools" Wei had were barely ever used, like the security cameras, whats the point of hacking all of them when only like 1/3 were actually used, and even then only for the drug bust sidequest.

I would love to see a sequel where they really beefed up the game, providing a super detailed and well developed journey from the bottom ranks to Triad glory.

It's dumb, but you can use the TV in any apartment to crank up any surveillance camera, and get the police to arrest innocent people. It's good for a laugh.

Duffyside

Banned
Man, the reception this game is getting is really heartening. United Front Games totally deserves it. I hope Sony recognizes just how talented these guys are and ask them to take over the Infamous franchise.

Cloudy

Banned
Man, the reception this game is getting is really heartening. United Front Games totally deserves it. I hope Sony recognizes just how talented these guys are and ask them to take over the Infamous franchise.

Fuck that. They better get to work on SD2 lol

Seriously. I want them to have the opportunity to perfect THIS formula, not Infamous or anything else. They're about 10 hours short, and a few design decisions away from having one of the best open world crime/action games EVER.

Duffyside

Banned

Seriously. I want them to have the opportunity to perfect THIS formula, not Infamous or anything else. They're about 10 hours short, and a few design decisions away from having one of the best open world crime/action games EVER.

Haha, fair enough. I just don't want them to get stuck at Square. But maybe if they're part of the Western Eidos branch it won't be so bad. :p

JoeBoy101

This. The game as is a real brush with greatness. A few substantial tweaks here and there, combined with some gameplay plot choices by the player would have really made the GOTY. Its definitely the sleeper hit of the year so far, though.

Fjordson

Haha, fair enough. I just don't want them to get stuck at Square. But maybe if they're part of the Western Eidos branch it won't be so bad. :p
Square seems like a solid spot for Western devs right now. Was thrilled with Deus Ex: HR, this seems to be well liked, and Hitman looks promising as well.

Cloudy

Banned
This. The game as is a real brush with greatness. A few substantial tweaks here and there, combined with some gameplay plot choices by the player would have really made the GOTY. Its definitely the sleeper hit of the year so far, though.

I'd like to see a sequel where you can interact with more of the NPCs. I haven't finished the game so I dunno if this main character can return though. They don't even have to change the setting IMO. Just come at it from another angle. Maybe as a detective working on cases etc.

PS: It feels good to not be a total bad guy in one of these games lol

They just need to rip off a bunch of stuff from San Andreas (property buying, turf wars, taxi missions, dating), add more story missions (only 30 in Sleeping Dogs compared to 96 in San Andreas) and we'll be golden. Also steal the fighting arenas from Yakuza; the existing martial arts clubs are kind of like them but in Yakuza you fight crazy bosses and stuff.

I'm guessing they couldn't do everything they wanted since Sleeping Dogs is effectively a new IP

Derrick01

Banned
They just need to rip off a bunch of stuff from San Andreas (property buying, turf wars, taxi missions, dating), add more story missions (only 30 in Sleeping Dogs compared to 96 in San Andreas) and we'll be golden. Also steal the fighting arenas from Yakuza; the existing martial arts clubs are kind of like them but in Yakuza you fight crazy bosses and stuff.

I'm guessing they couldn't do everything they wanted since Sleeping Dogs is effectively a new IP

All of that stuff sounds like stuff I'd want in a game like this. I'm hoping they go Yakuza 4 in the next game and just flood it with content.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It's based on a percentage, I think it may be 10% of your money, could be wrong, but when I had around $120K I lost $12k when I came ouyt of the hospital. Just recently I lost $40k+ and I have over $400K.

Yeah, I have a few million but I think the last time I died (run over by a truck) they didn't charge me that much. I'm thinking about killing myself in the game to see if it is a straight percentage or if they implemented a cap.

For those in Japan, is it possible to buy the game through greenmangaming.com and use the code in Steam?

The game is not purchasable through Steam here, and Amazon gives me a message implying my codes won't work if my region is detected as outside the U.S., which makes me nervous.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
For those in Japan, is it possible to buy the game through greenmangaming.com and use the code in Steam?

The game is not purchasable through Steam here, and Amazon gives me a message implying my codes won't work if my region is detected as outside the U.S., which makes me nervous.

Valve changed their policy on that. Prior to the change, it was a grey area that they tolerated if you went through the trouble of setting up a vpn to authenticate a game the first time. Now, they've threatened to ban accounts if they detect vpn use for any reason and made changes so games are validated each time you click play to follow the laws/demands of publishers on region locking. So, erring on the side of caution, I wouldn't suggest trying it.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's based on a percentage, I think it may be 10% of your money, could be wrong, but when I had around $120K I lost $12k when I came ouyt of the hospital. Just recently I lost $40k+ and I have over $400K.

It's around 10% upto a max of 15k. I've died with 200k, and got pinged for 15k, and I've died with 500k and got pinged for 15k as well.

Valve changed their policy on that. Prior to the change, it was a grey area that they tolerated if you went through the trouble of setting up a vpn to authenticate a game the first time. Now, they've threatened to ban accounts if they detect vpn use for any reason and made changes so games are validated each time you click play to follow the laws/demands of publishers on region locking. So, erring on the side of caution, I wouldn't suggest trying it.
Thanks for the quick response. Steam Japan kind of sucks so I've avoided it when possible, but PC game region locking that can't be circumvented...guess I'm on the sidelines for this one.

Too bad, sounds like everyone's having a blast!

Anyone else feel a bit sad when a guy gives you a gun during a cutscene?

Gunplay is fine, but... i'd much rather utilize my punching skills and give me some new environmental kills.

I can shoot people... in about every other full price game out on the market :S

DanielJr82

As opposed to getting stuck at Sony?

When you die, does the cost keep accumulating?
I think it's like GTA, it's based on a percentage of how much money you have. If you have a lot of cash on you, they'll take away more and vice versa.

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man
LOL... reminds me of the Russel Peters skit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtrAMK7_Qk

Jimrpg

Same, I just finished the game 31 hours in all. Did everything, got everything. Loved it.

It was a real joy to play this game, but my biggest complaint would be that the main plot came and went too quickly. It was a lot like Mafia II in that regard, outstanding atmosphere, decent enough plot, great characters, really solid gameplay, but the overall progression felt rushed and severely underdeveloped.

I kept wanting to see more of the life. The game never really gave me a sense of what the life of a Triad member was like. Wei progressed through the ranks far too quickly, the entire main plot felt extremely bullet points only, just like Mafia II. I wish there was another 10 hours to the main campaign to really flesh out Wei's rise in the Triad and to develop the supporting cast. Other than Jackie, which wasnt even that well developed, Wei's relationship with everyone was almost non-existent. More police work would have been great too, a lot of the "tools" Wei had were barely ever used, like the security cameras, whats the point of hacking all of them when only like 1/3 were actually used, and even then only for the drug bust sidequest.

I would love to see a sequel where they really beefed up the game, providing a super detailed and well developed journey from the bottom ranks to Triad glory.

There's a balance between gamers who don't finish games and people who want as much game as they can get...most people can't finish 20+ hour games...

although i agree with you on all the story points (so far)

Neiteio

How would this run in 1600x900 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (laptop, 2GB), 8GB RAM, Windows 7 and Intel Core i7? According to Can You Run It, my comp is above the minimum from the game but below the "recommended" due to the videocard. This is the first time my computer hasn't exceeded the recommended specs for a game, so I'm afraid to buy since I don't know what I'd be in for.

I just got this game and Im getting Bluescreen crashes!

The game will crash and make this loud buzzing noise and then a bluescreen.

Wtf seriously

Veal

How does this game plays with a HD6870 1GB and i5 2500k?
Also, what's the cheapest place I can get it right now and how many gigs is the game download?

Pretty good actually. Close to a steady 60fps @1080p with everything cranked (minus AA. That's set to normal.)

LiK

haha, this was too perfect not to take a screencap of.

V3WQy.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's around 10% upto a max of 15k. I've died with 200k, and got pinged for 15k, and I've died with 500k and got pinged for 15k as well.

Yup, just came to post this, I went back into the game to see and I lost $15k when I died with a bankroll of $500k+.

Anyone know how to get that Jade Statue by Central Station? You have to climb a building and I can see the statue through the window but no way in.

Also, there is a Health Shrine at some guys place, think his name is Tom Chin or something similar, is there a story mission that gives you access?

How would this run in 1600x900 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (laptop, 2GB), 8GB RAM, Windows 7 and Intel Core i7? According to Can You Run It, my comp is above the minimum from the game but below the "recommended" due to the videocard. This is the first time my computer hasn't exceeded the recommended specs for a game, so I'm afraid to buy since I don't know what I'd be in for.

I have the exact same specs and it runs great. Some occasional frame rate drops when driving but it looks great overall.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So is the police protection pack seriously only available for the mission itself?

edit: Also dat screaming noise makes the final statue unlock completely worth it

Top Bottom