• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

No, really though...

--> Jump over cover
--> Bullet time
--> Headshots for more bullet time

...is a really fun mechanic. It might make the shootouts a bit easy, but gotdamn if it isn't badass to clear a room like that and watch 4 enemies fall simultaneously as you exit bullet time. Also the melee --> slow motion point blank headshot --> MORE BULLET TIME is so good. If the aiming controls were tighter, this would be more fun than some pure shooters.

SRG01

Anyone else feel a bit sad when a guy gives you a gun during a cutscene?

Gunplay is fine, but... i'd much rather utilize my punching skills and give me some new environmental kills.

I can shoot people... in about every other full price game out on the market :S

Nearly all of the gunplay segments are meant to be set pieces. It's really hard to die in those parts unless you really screw up.

No, really though...

--> Jump over cover
--> Bullet time
--> Headshots for more bullet time

...is a really fun mechanic. It might make the shootouts a bit easy, but gotdamn if it isn't badass to clear a room like that and watch 4 enemies fall simultaneously as you exit bullet time. Also the melee --> slow motion point blank headshot --> MORE BULLET TIME is so good. If the aiming controls were tighter, this would be more fun than some pure shooters.

I've always thought that it was headshots too, until I realized that normal kills gave me more time too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Apparently UFG is working on a patch to make the Police Protection stuff usable outside of the mission since they got busted by showing a preorder trailer for the stuff where Wei was walking out of the car in the stuff.

I've always thought that it was headshots too, until I realized that normal kills gave me more time too.

Oh God bullet time errwhere, I love it. If you're in a normal speed shootout, you're doing it wrong, especially after that Police upgrade that gives you longer bullet time. Hop cover --> exterminate fools --> eat a pork bun to be a whole man

Jawmuncher

I was reading about the game and some of it reminds me of wheelman, did anyone else play that?

Mainly the hopping from car to car, and how you can ram with the vehicles.

Sidzed2

Of the pure GTA clones (i.e open-world urban crime adventures) I've played, this is by far the best. In many ways, it surpasses its inspiration - the shooting, driving, traversal and melee mechanics exceed the equvalents in GTA. The whole thing looks simply gorgeous, too - bravo to Square Enix for giving UFG the time they needed. I hope this is a huge success to the horror of Activision.

Only downers were the lame story and the general lack of creativity - melee combat aside, this is hewn straight from the GTA template with little deviation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've found that the best way to feel like Bruce Lee in this game is to ride around on a motor scooter and never change the station from Daptone.

I don't know why motor scooter makes me think of Bruce Lee, but it totally does.

How's the PS3 version? Thinking of getting it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sleeping-dogs-face-off

Aside from a few issues with regards to a sometimes inconsistent frame-rate, lower-resolution effects and presentation (on the PS3), it's an experience which works very well on all platforms. On the 360, the slightly upscaled framebuffer isn't much cause for concern. Meanwhile, on PlayStation 3, despite the lower-resolution visuals and pared-back texture details and effects, this is still an engrossing experience despite the graphical downgrades. In fact, when it comes down to the gameplay, the PS3 version features a tangible benefit in that the controls somehow feel less 'twitchy' than they do on Xbox 360 - which seems to be down more down to the controller than the code.

Overall Sleeping Dogs is worthy of consideration on both console platforms, but on balance the 360 game is the better buy: minor controller issues aside, the cleaner presentation is preferable over the murkier look of the PS3 game. Naturally, the PC offering provides the best experience out of the three, which comes as no surprise given that there's no fixed hardware limitation on the platform - just the size of your wallet and how much you want to spend on building a mega-powered gaming rig. That said, as the DFPC video above demonstrates, as long as you're realistic with the quality settings, those with more respectable set-ups should be able to play the game smoothly at either 720p or 1080p with most settings ramped up.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Some cut scenes before fights as the camera pans around has a few frame hits, but I'm finding it doesn't deter from the gameplay itself. LOD is a bit of a mess though in certain places.

KePoW

Banned
Man, so frustrated that you can't disable FXAA on PC in this. I have my own AA solution I want to use, damnit!

On the High setting with SSAA, it looks fine and really good. If they only had FXAA, I would agree with you but it's not a problem.

Pezking

Played for a few hours, I think it's really good, but unfortunately a bit sub-HD (which I only noticed when I hit the Home button and saw the bigger-than-usual letters in the menu).

But overall, the performance is great, next to no tearing, and I love the DTS sound. Also, I like the Dualshock controller much more, so that's another bonus.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Georges St-Pierre Pack, including:

- GSP’s signature “flying punch”
- Exclusive GSP outfit including T-shirts, headband and shorts, unlocks the flying punch, increases grappling & throwing damage

Police Protection Pack, including:

- High Speed Mission
- HK Police SWAT Outfit
- Exclusive assault rifle
- SWAT Police Vehicle

Martial Arts Pack, including:

- Exclusive Shaolin Warrior outfit
- Shaolin Showdown Mission
- Wing Chun decorations for your safehouse, which grants you combat buffs

Was wondering where these would be available in New Zealand since we don't have Best Buy, Amazon etc then I read the DLC Card that comes in our version and we get all three packs in one code.

Wish this happened more often since we usually miss out on quite a few pre order content due to lack of affiliated stores.

Gambit61

Just impulse bought this due to finishing Darksiders 2 earlier and hearing how awesome the PC port is. Ugh, my GTX 460 better not fail me >_>.

Herla

Holy shit, I didn't know this game had some sort of random event system.
I saw I guy running down the street, thought it was suspicious and followed him. Then he "tackles" a woman and tries to run away with her purse. So I take him down, grab the purse and give it back. I got some money for doing that!

That's awesome.

derwalde

so i want to buy sleeping dogs via steam (EU, germany). sadly there is no steam-page of it aviabale ("This item is currently unavailable in your region").

Anyone else getting this error? ;_;

Anyone else frustrated with the auto-camera-centering :/
Yes. Just like in GTAIV, really annoying. I never had an issue with the camera in SR3, for example. My only real gripes are the camera and the driving. The driving is okay but waaay too fast and silly.
Getting the knack of the combat now, especially after unlocking new moves. Annoyingly I keep losing my gun. I found one then lost it (in a mission) then got another one and it vanished too. I don't think you're supposed to keep a gun on you outside of missions, are you?

Jimrpg

so i want to buy sleeping dogs via steam (EU, germany). sadly there is no steam-page of it aviabale ("This item is currently unavailable in your region").

Anyone else getting this error? ;_;

i think germany is getting a censored version due out later in about a month

Forkball

Holy shit, I didn't know this game had some sort of random event system.
I saw I guy running down the street, thought it was suspicious and followed him. Then he "tackles" a woman and tries to run away with her purse. So I take him down, grab the purse and give it back. I got some money for doing that!

That's awesome.

Yeah, I've had a few random events. One time there was a drunk bothering a store, and the owner asked me to get rid of him. I threw him in a trunk and someone drove off with him. There was another mission where a drunk was bothering a noodle stand, and I had to drag him away. A funny moment happened in the same area. Apparently, someone was killed, so the ambulance came rushing over. As the medic was trying to help the guy, he got run over by a random car. Poor guy.

I really like the shooting missions from the car. It's cool to see cars flip and explode in slow motion, especially if you can make a lot do it at the same time.

Zaptruder

Banned
So I'm like 3 hours into this... Does it get any better?!

Yes... but not magically so. It's generally you unlocking more things, seeing more of the game, getting better at the game.

If you don't like the feeling it gives after a half hour of gameplay, an extra 10 hours isn't going to change that feeling much.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I mentioned it in the PC performance thread, but if you're not forcing anisotropic filtering you're doing it wrong. Sleeping Dogs appears to have none. Force 16x through your drivers and it cleans up textures over distance beautifully.

Toki767

Money seems kinda of useless. The only thing I really ever spent money on was cars.

There's also clothes.

I finished collecting all the lockboxes, praying at all the shrines, getting all the statues, and hacking all the cameras. I'm basically done with this game now unless I want to get all the achievements but that would mostly be just grinding for money.

FtHTiny

Any reason why my social hub doesn´t work with friends? It only shows me as 1 in everything. If i switch to global it seems to work fine.

Lyonaz

Yes random stuff happening is so hilarious. I had this huge fist fight near the street and out of nowhere a taxi just ran over 2 thugs. I was laughing my ass off.

Has anyone figured out what "Sleeping Dogs" means in the context of the game?

Is it like one of those Asian things like Black Lotus, where it doesn't really mean anything?

Just realised I am only 50% of the way through the missions. Awesome! Was worried it would end soon.

Also find it awesome that I personally feel more like a Triad than a cop, I think they have handled the story and the voice acting extremely well. Usually I play the good guy 100% in every game but here I can't help but wonder how cool it would be to just tell Raymond to fuck off and spend the rest of my days as a Triad.

Just impulse bought this due to finishing Darksiders 2 earlier and hearing how awesome the PC port is. Ugh, my GTX 460 better not fail me >_>.

Running on 460 and 2500k and it looks amazing at 1080p. Solid frames that don't take you out of the action.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, this confirms I like small maps with lots of stuff happening instead of huge maps that feel like a wasteland.

Top Bottom