• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Ken

This game is pretty fun, although the HK radio stations need more songs than Hong Kong Kowloon 24/7.

Are there any radio stations with just Cantonese talk shows?

bitoriginal

IT TAKES GUTS TO WEAR THAT!

Seriously, i'd love the find the NPC that shouts that. I generally beat up whoever is outside the shop at the time because its so godamn annoying, but its a hollow victory, because whoever it is still says it every fucking time.

Aaron

Doing one of the drug busts where you beat up enough guys that they scatter, one of the panicked thugs tried to steal my bike. So I knocked him off with a flying kick and beat him into the pavement.

Zampano

Is there a way to store cars you've jacked for later use? So far the only things I have in my garage are my bike and the street racing car.

KlotePino

Is there a way to store cars you've jacked for later use? So far the only things I have in my garage are my bike and the street racing car.

It doesn't work like GTA, you have to buy cars at the gray market vehicle dealers. You unlock them pretty fast if you don't already have them, once you buy them there you can use them from any parking garage.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm going to break a rule here guys. I'm going to talk about Fight Club.

I was just having a fight on a rooftop, made it up to Round 6 and surrounded by guys. I was dealing to this guy in front of me then I pressed X and Square for a flying kick, only the guy ducked (Was a skinny guy with long black hair, they seem quite agile) and I missed, but(!), I hit the wall and jumped off only to kick the guy behind me!

Man, the fighting in this is amazing considering the basic controls. I can understand people being bored with it early on, but once you start unlocking all these disarm moves, limb breaks etc it really comes into its own.

Wish I knew how to make gifs. I have a video capture device but no idea aside from Adobe Image Ready, but that seems quite cumbersome for 5-10 sec gifs with decent frames.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dat rain.

sleepx3b2y.png

FtHTiny

Played for 4 hours now and have to say i´m glad i didn´t skip it like i wanted to do at first. Game looks and plays great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Night time in this game really reminds me of GTA IV with the ENB mod.

To be honest, even the day reminds me of ENB. Every single thing about the lighting and shadows engine impresses the hell of out me. Daytime lighting looks like proper sunlit, and the shadows cast from buildings are gorgeous. Night has the beautiful neon blooms, and rain speaks for myself.

Easily the most impressed I've ever been with a lighting/shadows engine in an open world game. It's crazy good.

Jimrpg

UFG should be over the moon with the positive response from the game. I wonder how they felt prior to release?

its a great game

but UFG can't choose who gets to review it... and i don't know but im feeling GAF's response to this game is much more positive than reviewers. Its not a stretch that this is GOTY. I hope this drives sales for them. There were so many previews that said the game was clunky and i suppose you could see it in a way... but now that its all there and the game is in our hands, the game is great. and there are hardly any bugs to speak of. Im playing on PC and have had one crash in 17 hours.

Jimrpg

I'm going to break a rule here guys. I'm going to talk about Fight Club.

I was just having a fight on a rooftop, made it up to Round 6 and surrounded by guys. I was dealing to this guy in front of me then I pressed X and Square for a flying kick, only the guy ducked (Was a skinny guy with long black hair, they seem quite agile) and I missed, but(!), I hit the wall and jumped off only to kick the guy behind me!

Man, the fighting in this is amazing considering the basic controls. I can understand people being bored with it early on, but once you start unlocking all these disarm moves, limb breaks etc it really comes into its own.

Wish I knew how to make gifs. I have a video capture device but no idea aside from Adobe Image Ready, but that seems quite cumbersome for 5-10 sec gifs with decent frames.

Yeah its awesome - its so freaking badass to counter and break people's legs and arms... does anyone know if there's a block button? ive just been countering the entire time.

id really like to see in sleeping dogs 2 the ability to develop your guy with different martial arts styles.... would give it a ton of replayability.

Derrick01

Banned
These last 2 random events are pissing me off. I don't want to be that guy and use a guide and go around to each one on the map hoping I'll find the 2 I need but I may have no choice. I want that 100%

Jimrpg

was just checking out old videos and came across True Crime LA and True Crime NY and they looked like this (dem textures)

LA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIB4Ptua3Wg

NY looked a bit better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEmicnkNYUk

and this trailer last trailer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb4qMpO7JPY

shows Sleeping Dogs back in 2010, you can see alot of the game mechanics were already in the game.... and that alot of George St. Pierre's moves (the UFC Fighter) had done alot of his work already. Also at the end of the vid they said it was going to come out Fall 2010... hard to believe that they worked on this game for an extra two years... thats a lot of polish.

Lyonaz

Running around the city and doing random flying kicks on pedestrians never gets old, it's even better on bikers on the street.

To be honest, even the day reminds me of ENB. Every single thing about the lighting and shadows engine impresses the hell of out me. Daytime lighting looks like proper sunlit, and the shadows cast from buildings are gorgeous. Night has the beautiful neon blooms, and rain speaks for myself.

Easily the most impressed I've ever been with a lighting/shadows engine in an open world game. It's crazy good.

I thought this at well.

Night time and rain is so amazing, this game is definitely a looker. Absolutely stunning. I wish there was a cheat to make it rain. That thing would be used constantly in my game.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow that was quick. Just when I was losing faith I found the last 2 I needed and got 100%. Now all I need to do is get the last 3 gold medals I need, but 1 includes gambling and I'm awful at it.

So I got arrested. At the police station I did a flying kick on one cop, then disarmed the other one and shot them both. Tucked the pistol in my pocket and grabbed the shotgun from the trunk of their cruiser. Stole their cruiser, then while being chased I shot out the wheels of one of the three pursuing vehicles and rammed the other one off of the overpass. I slammed on the brakes to let the last one pass, sped back up and did an action hijack on their SUV.

I'm speeding towards a blockade so I dove out of the SUV. To my surprise, it initiated a slow motion sliding sequence. I shot the SUV right as it plowed into the blockade and the whole thing set of off a chain of explosions. Got up, shot the driver of the first cruiser to arrive on the scene in the face, stole his car and made my way to a big ass jump and got away.

I fucking love this game.

dino1980

I dont know if it something wrong with the graphic on my computer with the rain. For me it looks really god walking at nighttime when it is raining, but when im driving its a whole other story. For me its looks like the ground in the distans is flashing back and forth in the distant with alot of different white and colours. Its like the reflection in the pavement isnt done correctly or the different reflections is to fast. This is also on the reflections in windows at buildings. It looks a bit wierd to me.

saladine1

Jumped on top of a bus in the rain to see if my walking produces in splashes. Well what do you know it does. Little touches like that are great..

Derrick01

Banned
cockfighting is the worst. It's luck based so you have a 50/50 shot and I've won once in my last 15 tries. If I wasn't reloading my save after every loss I'd be in the red by over a million right now.

derFeef

cockfighting is the worst. It's luck based so you have a 50/50 shot and I've won once in my last 15 tries. If I wasn't reloading my save after every loss I'd be in the red by over a million right now.

Hey you know the cock that won 5 times and the one that won 0 times? Guess which one wins! (not the one you think)

EatChildren

Is the face level designed so that you can only get level 10 at the end or near the end after getting all the side quest done?

I got full level ten face ~50% completion, including main and side quests. Stuff like racing increases your face heaps.

iNvid02

*sees cockfight icon, wants to give shitty mini game at least one try*

cock #2 has won 5, cock #1 has won 0

$200,000 on cock #2 please

cock #1 beats the shit out of #2

KuGsj.gif

Derrick01

Banned
*sees cockfight icon, wants to give shitty mini game at least one try*

cock #2 has won 5, cock #1 has won 0

$200,000 on cock #2 please

cock #1 beats the shit out of #2

KuGsj.gif

Yeah those numbers don't mean anything it's always a 50/50 shot. Or if you're me it's 10/90.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hey you know the cock that won 5 times and the one that won 0 times? Guess which one wins! (not the one you think)

You wanna know why this happens?

The one that has won 5 times has fought 5 times and been injured 5 times. When you lose as a cock, you're dead. Meanwhile, the one with 0 wins is fresh, an uninjured.

Top Bottom