• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

I just started playing this with the HD texture pack using a GTX 680. To think I almost didn't buy this game. It is joy to both play and watch. I've never been able to get very far in these games. Usually I get bored, but I've got a good feeling about this one.

BFIB

Just bought, my first purchase on Green Man Gaming. I'm a sucker for open world titles, and I didn't even have this game on my radar. Can't wait to dig in tonight!

Proxy

Is there a 3rd party fix to the absolutely unusable mouse controls on PC?

I'm trying to like this game, but I do not own a controller for PC and I really like everything else, but I seriously cannot play like this :/

Own a PS3? As in do you have a PS3 controller. Because you can use that with Motioninjoy.

Is there a 3rd party fix to the absolutely unusable mouse controls on PC?

I'm trying to like this game, but I do not own a controller for PC and I really like everything else, but I seriously cannot play like this :/

I'm not having any trouble with the keyboard and mouse, though I'm only 2 hours in. For me, the trick was making sure that you don't touch the mouse while driving. Just use the directional keys. It's fine when the character is walking around. I will try it with the 360 controller in a bit to see if I like it better.

jrcbandit

I am getting close to solving the game and still have no idea how Quick Disarm works since there was no instructions ;p. For Melee weapons, run + tackle after upgrade works, or if you have Face meter active and you grapple. But I have no idea how to activate quick disarm for ranged weapons...

Mario007

Just want to ask how authentic is the game to the real Hong Kong. I've lived in Shanghai this past year and would love a game that actually nails the Chinese setting pretty well. I know Hong Kong is, to a certain degree, quite far away from your ordinary Chinese city but it still has a certain Chinese element to it, and I wonder if that is present in the game at all?

bighotdog

Neo Member
So I downloaded and patched the game through steam and when I try to run it, it just stays stuck on the splash screen with all the different logos on it.

I've read the official forums as well as Steam's forums and lots of people are having the same issue.

If I disable steam community, I can get to the menu screen but once I click on new game it loads for about 15 secs and then freezes. WTF did I do wrong?

Arcteryx

I am getting close to solving the game and still have no idea how Quick Disarm works since there was no instructions ;p. For Melee weapons, run + tackle after upgrade works, or if you have Face meter active and you grapple. But I have no idea how to activate quick disarm for ranged weapons...

If they are near cover you can slide over it and it will auto disarm(assuming you have the perk upgraded for it). Can't remember what the standing disarm is though. Go in the upgrades menu and it should list it.

Just want to ask how authentic is the game to the real Hong Kong. I've lived in Shanghai this past year and would love a game that actually nails the Chinese setting pretty well. I know Hong Kong is, to a certain degree, quite far away from your ordinary Chinese city but it still has a certain Chinese element to it, and I wonder if that is present in the game at all?

It's more of a compacted version that's more keyed into gaming, which works. There are several areas that have greater chinese elements can be seen, as for how it feels around the city if you drive like a maniac or act odd, you'll have a lot of cantonese insults/swear thrown at you XD, which is authetic to me XD, might be a tad more frequent insults though XD.

TBH Hong kong is a place that is kinda like a fusion between of British Influence and Chinese.

Spat_triate

A normal tackle, running tackle or vaulted tackle will disarm gun toting thugs.

Mario007

It's more of a compacted version that's more keyed into gaming, which works. There are several areas that have greater chinese elements can be seen, as for how it feels around the city if you drive like a maniac or act odd, you'll have a lot of cantonese insults/swear thrown at you XD, which is authetic to me XD, might be a tad more frequent insults though XD.

TBH Hong kong is a place that is kinda like a fusion between of British Influence and Chinese.

Yeah I know Hong Kong isn't exactly Chinese to begin with ;) Is it only Cantonese or is there Mandarin in the game too?

Also, I guess what I wanted to ask all along, is if you do drive around the city will you kinda get the sense of being in Hong Kong (and China) rather than being in any other random modern city?

derFeef

So I ran into this yellow mission close to my house and had no idea what I was getting into. Suddenly I am a fully armed, swat-uniform wearing cop shooting motorcycles and cars from the side window of a cop-car. It was fucking fantastic! Apparantly that was a DLC mission.

KePoW

Banned
Yeah I know Hong Kong isn't exactly Chinese to begin with ;) Is it only Cantonese or is there Mandarin in the game too?

Also, I guess what I wanted to ask all along, is if you do drive around the city will you kinda get the sense of being in Hong Kong (and China) rather than being in any other random modern city?

Strictly Cantonese.

As for your second question, it certainly feels like a Chinese city so I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you afraid it feels like NYC or Paris or something?

I mean all the signs are in Chinese, and all the people speak Cantonese in the game. Not sure what else it could feel like.

Mario007

Strictly Cantonese.

As for your second question, it certainly feels like a Chinese city so I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you afraid it feels like NYC or Paris or something?

I mean all the signs are in Chinese, and all the people speak Cantonese in the game. Not sure what else it could feel like.

Yeah that was kinda was I was asking about. Thanks! Will try to pick this up next week, in that case!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
sleep10erm1.png

sleep2r5phm.png

KePoW

Banned
Haha EatChildren, I took that same exact screenshot of the white car from the top-down view, during my playthrough.

Arcteryx

hmm ok thought they'd be a bit more fleshed out, seems weird to have emma stone voice like maybe 2 missions for example. thanks anyway

Yea I was hoping for more out of it as well. Oh well, there's always Sleeping Dogs 2
lets hope!

Marks out of 10 for PS3

Graphics: 7.5
Performance: 8

Cheers :p

It's definitely the worst of the 3 platforms, but I wouldn't hold back if you only have a PS3.

outsida

Just finished the main story... Enjoyed ever last minute of it. Took me about 23 hours but I still have a few side missions I'm going to go back and tackle.

Mik2121

I got this game a few dyas ago and today started playing it (on the PS3).

There are many things that I'm liking like the combat (feels amazing), the mood of the city, the fact that the game is in cantonese (even though I don't understand anything), and a few other things...

But there are some things that just make the game not feel as good as I was hoping. Mainly the car and bike handling. I like GTA IV's car handling... once you get used to it, it just feels great and the cars have that heavy feel that I really like. Another thing is the camera in the game... it goes crazy sometimes :S And last but not least, the player movement... why do I have to press a button to walk? I like being able to walk by pushing the stick a bit... I don't mind having a button for running, but having one for running AND one for walking just feels stupid.

Anyway, I'm one of those that think GTA IV plays infinitely better than SR3, and this time too.. GTAIV just plays better than this, to me. That doesn't mean the game isn't good, but good handling of a character is pretty big to me. I will still enjoy this game a lot though, as I just barely started playing :)

KePoW

Banned
I got this game a few dyas ago and today started playing it (on the PS3).

There are many things that I'm liking like the combat (feels amazing), the mood of the city, the fact that the game is in cantonese (even though I don't understand anything), and a few other things...

But there are some things that just make the game not feel as good as I was hoping. Mainly the car and bike handling. I like GTA IV's car handling... once you get used to it, it just feels great and the cars have that heavy feel that I really like. Another thing is the camera in the game... it goes crazy sometimes :S And last but not least, the player movement... why do I have to press a button to walk? I like being able to walk by pushing the stick a bit... I don't mind having a button for running, but having one for running AND one for walking just feels stupid.

The driving handling has been discussed a ton, and it's just personal preference. Does someone like arcade or realistic handling, there's no right or wrong.

As for pressing a button to walk, I have no idea what you're talking about. There's only a button to sprint, not to walk. (PC version with 360 controller)

The driving handling has been discussed a ton, and it's just personal preference. Does someone like arcade or realistic handling, there's no right or wrong.

As for pressing a button to walk, I have no idea what you're talking about. There's only a button to sprint, not to walk. (PC version with 360 controller)

I believe you hold the left trigger to walk.

Derrick01

Banned
The 50k cockfight achievement isn't unlocking for me :(

I didn't get it the first time either when I went to a $25k max bet ring. I had to go to the $100k max bet and win there to get it (the one in that kennedy port area)

That's also how I'm slowly climbing out of my ridiculous debt to get the $1 million earnings medal.

Top Bottom