• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

God what a shit port this is on PC. Game freezes at splash screen so I have to disable steam community to get it going. Graphics settings are bugged as fuck and don't save so I have to edit the XML files manually. New game freezes at loading. Google searches bring up hundreds of posts with the same problems. Fuck this.

I had nearly the same issue when I first tried to play the game but I couldn't even get to the logo screen. I tried a bunch of fixes in the threads on Steam and rebooted my computer and it finally worked. Since then I've had zero issues, but I feel your pain.

- J - D -

Is this the general consensus? I was going to buy it for PC, but I don't have a gamepad.

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a little. I've played worse ports with worse keyboard and mouse controls. Still, the combat just feels weird to me with a mouse and the camera feels floaty.

KePoW

Banned
God what a shit port this is on PC. Game freezes at splash screen so I have to disable steam community to get it going. Graphics settings are bugged as fuck and don't save so I have to edit the XML files manually. New game freezes at loading. Google searches bring up hundreds of posts with the same problems. Fuck this.

Apparently you've completely ignored the rest of GAF members/comments in this thread, because vast majority here (95+%) can run the game.

iNvid02

whats the easiest karaoke song?

i was trying to get 100% on all out of love but fucked up right at the end and got 98% ;_;

SJRB

Gold Member
So what's the deal with gambling dens? Will I go there at some point in the story or do I have to find a way myself?

Tried going to the northern den but there is no way I'm able to get there, or so it seems.

Apparently you've completely ignored the rest of GAF members/comments in this thread, because vast majority here (95+%) can run the game.

I'm running at 1050 on a freakin' 2011 MacBook Pro with HD textures enabled & the game looks godly. Deffo scales well. No issues 6 hours in.

KePoW

Banned
So what's the deal with gambling dens? Will I go there at some point in the story or do I have to find a way myself?

Tried going to the northern den but there is no way I'm able to get there, or so it seems.

Are you using a boat? The gambling dens are completely optional.

KingKong

Is this the general consensus? I was going to buy it for PC, but I don't have a gamepad.

nope, PC controls are mostly fine

turning during the chase sequences and the whole sliding and going into slo mo when shooting is kind of awkward but the rest of it is good

Clydebink

Neo Member
For me,
the story really lost it's momentum after Uncle Po got shot. The first half really built up tension about where Wei's loyalty lies and whether or not I was going to get outted as a rat. But after Uncle Po gets hospitalized, it turns into this Sun on Yee internal betrayal stuff and I feel like the main theme gets lost. They tell you that you've been outted when it doesn't seem to matter anymore, and the conversation when Jackie wants out is great in the context of the duplicitous paranoia they have established, but I was hoping for something like a moment when Wei is forced off the fence and has to deal with the consequences. Even better, give me two endings based on where the player chooses to put their loyalty in a tight spot.
The first half was so engaging that I ended up with some significant expectations.

SJRB

Gold Member
Are you using a boat? The gambling dens are completely optional.

I tried finding a boat at the ferry terminal on the north side and also around the cockfight dock on the southside. I figured there was a "secret" boat hidden somewhere, but I suppose that's not the case?

I'll just grab a boat from wherever then.

denshuu

Is there any way to keep getting Triad XP once you finish the game? Replaying missions doesn't seem to give you any XP, and you only get cop XP from doing drug busts.

Derrick01

Banned
Is there any way to keep getting Triad XP once you finish the game? Replaying missions doesn't seem to give you any XP, and you only get cop XP from doing drug busts.

You have to score better than you initially did with the triad stuff when you replay missions in order to get a decent boost in xp, but you should be able to wear bonus xp clothing too unless the mission makes you change.

I think you can do that one preorder mission too where it's endless waves of triads in melee and you have to see how high you can score. I was already at 10 when I did it but after it was over I did get triad xp, I just don't know how much.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Dont think so, I lucked out and reach max on the last mission. Its really uneven how you can get max Face before halfway through the game and then barely after halfway through you can max your Cop tree, but with Triad you have to wear Triad xp boosting clothes for every event and you'll just barely reach level 10 by the very last mission.

I'm surprised you dont get exp from replaying missions, kind of lame if thats the case. Really glad I was able to max out now.

SJRB

Gold Member
The "problem" is that cop XP is easy to gain because of all the drug busts.

Triad however has none. There should've been "enforcer" sidemissions or something where you beat up thugs or collect protection money, something like that to balance it out.

The "problem" is that cop XP is easy to gain because of all the drug busts.

Triad however has none. There should've been "enforcer" sidemissions or something where you beat up thugs or collect protection money, something like that to balance it out.

The Triad equivalent of Drug Busts should've been ongoing Turf Wars. Some would be hand to hand, some would be shootouts.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
quite funny running through the market near the beginning of the game and a few guys shout you want dvd lol

Derrick01

Banned
I'm surprised you dont get exp from replaying missions, kind of lame if thats the case. Really glad I was able to max out now.

You do. When I beat the game I was at level 9 on Triad and the bar was about 80% done. I went back to my lower scoring missions (which weren't many to be honest, most I got at least 2 or 2 1/2...triangles) and when I did better my bar would creep up a bit. I did about 4 missions I think and it was enough to get to 10.

It's a brilliantly designed aesthetic game. Probably the only open-world game where I look forward to it raining, especially at night.

I'd argue GTAIV and RDR had better thunderstorms. SD looks amazing in the rain thanks to the magic they worked with the wet pavement textures, but the lightning and thunder effects are lacking.

RDR had better skyboxes as well. So many variations.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dennis tries to take fancy pictures, but that's the second shot where you can clearly see someone he's murdered before stopping to take in the scenery.

You're not fooling anyone, sicko.

Arcteryx

FYI some clothing combinations give XP boosts.

Yep, if you really want to maximize your XP gain for a specific category then you should really go that route. I will say that the Shaolin DLC(if you got it thru the pre-order) is pretty much easy-mode for Triad leveling. You can pretty much just stand there and counter all day, wracking up HUGE kill totals and then exiting for a MEATTTTTTY Triad bonus.

When I first played that side mission I think I exited it with Triad lvl 5-6...that was with like 2-3 actual game missions completed.

For people without it...clothes + lots of replaying missions will be in store for you.

Dennis tries to take fancy pictures, but that's the second shot where you can clearly see someone he's murdered before stopping to take in the scenery.

Haha he might not have ;)

I actually came across some driver swerving onto the sidewalk who killed 3-4 people. Sometimes the AI does craaaaaaaazy stuff.

I'd argue GTAIV and RDR had better thunderstorms. SD looks amazing in the rain thanks to the magic they worked with the wet pavement textures, but the lightning and thunder effects are lacking.

RDR had better skyboxes as well. So many variations.

Yeah, GTA4 and especially RDR did it better. I like it in SD, but Rockstar is still king here.

Dennis

Banned

It was an accident and I had nothing to do with it.

The ambulance came impressively swiftly and emergency aid was performed.

Unfortunately a bus driver must not have seen the blinking ambulance because he plowed right into the two paramedics.

Quite the tragedy really.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It was an accident and I had nothing to do with it.

The ambulance came impressively swiftly and emergency aid was performed.

Unfortunately a bus driver must not have seen the blinking ambulance because he plowed right into the two paramedics.

Quite the tragedy really.

thisishongkong

Derrick01

Banned
Quick question: does SD have arcades or other mini games to waste time in?

Nope the game is rather light on side content. I got 100% completion in about 24 hours. That's one thing I hope they improve a lot in the sequel. I want Yakuza 4 kinds of side content, 20-30 hours worth.

RS4-

Nope the game is rather light on side content. I got 100% completion in about 24 hours. That's one thing I hope they improve a lot in the sequel. I want Yakuza 4 kinds of side content, 20-30 hours worth.

This is one of my problems with SD; there's nothing to do after you finish.

I tried finding a boat at the ferry terminal on the north side and also around the cockfight dock on the southside. I figured there was a "secret" boat hidden somewhere, but I suppose that's not the case?

I'll just grab a boat from wherever then.

Boats litter the coastline...

Check Aberdeen and Kennedy Town especially.

edgefusion

I finally finished it after 2 days of solid playing. I loved every freaking second, I can't remember what the last game was that had me so engaged. End game spoilers:
I'm so sad Jackie died. :( I really wanted him to make it out okay, he was such a sympathetic character.

Dennis

Banned
I am just happy this gem wasn't canceled.

And with my slowpoke ways it will take me a long time to complete the game.

But lets hope this becomes a surprise hit (I remember how not long ago it felt like only a few of us looked forward to the game) and that we get a sequel.

Then they will probably add more to do.

EatChildren

I don't know if I'd call the gate light on side content, so much as the side content being quite easy. Counting the four cases (and their stages of investigation), the favours, the random events, races, fight clubs, and the dates, there's a ton of side content and most of it I thought pretty creative and interesting.

But it's all little bite sized missions that are over almost as soon as they start. I don't really mind this as they make for a punchy slice of fun, but it does mean you chew through them pretty quickly.

If we get a sequel I'd like to see everything stay (I really like the short favours, races, etc), but a good few longer missions. More cases really. A good supply of lengthy, story driven cases would be the perfect companion to the main missions.

Ragus

Banned
Watched some media about Sleeping Dogs and I have to say - the game looks great. But, I thought the same about Just Cause 2, and I didn't enjoy that game.

I love GTA IV and Mafia 2. Will I also like this game?

Watched some media about Sleeping Dogs and I have to say - the game looks great. But, I thought the same about Just Cause 2, and I didn't enjoy that game.

I love GTA IV and Mafia 2. Will I also like this game?

If you like Mafia 2, you'll like this one. I would say it's more like that with obvious improvements on gameplay systems; I consider JC2 more of a sandbox game, intentionally different from the more story-based open world games like this and GTA/Mafia.

I don't know, everyone's taste is different. This is my favorite open world game. Best combat, amazing location, sound story, and aesthetically gorgeous.

Has anyone noticed in the Soho area there's a glitched NPC who is missing an arm, and has a weird shaped leg? He's wearing khaki shorts and a rolled cuffed button up. I'll post a pic later. I'm not sure if it is intentional and the guy is meant to be disabled.

Ragus

Banned
If you like Mafia 2, you'll like this one. I would say it's more like that with obvious improvements on gameplay systems; I consider JC2 more of a sandbox game, intentionally different from the more story-based open world games like this and GTA/Mafia.

I don't know, everyone's taste is different. This is my favorite open world game. Best combat, amazing location, sound story, and aesthetically gorgeous.

Yeah, I like story-based sandbox games, so I think I'll try playing this game. Thanks :).

Top Bottom