• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Munin

I am just happy this gem wasn't canceled.

And with my slowpoke ways it will take me a long time to complete the game.

But lets hope this becomes a surprise hit (I remember how not long ago it felt like only a few of us looked forward to the game) and that we get a sequel.

Then they will probably add more to do.

Except I assume they will change the city in that case. Which is too bad because I'd like to see them give HK another try with a bigger budget and scope (and perhaps more authenticity)

Dennis

Banned
The aesthetic is what has surprised me the most.

I did not expect this game to be perhaps the most aesthetically and artistically pleasing game in years.

They have really captured the visuals of Hong Kong with great integrity.
I have never been to Hong Kong

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know if I'd call the gate light on side content, so much as the side content being quite easy. Counting the four cases (and their stages of investigation), the favours, the random events, races, fight clubs, and the dates, there's a ton of side content and most of it I thought pretty creative and interesting.

But it's all little bite sized missions that are over almost as soon as they start. I don't really mind this as they make for a punchy slice of fun, but it does mean you chew through them pretty quickly.

If we get a sequel I'd like to see everything stay (I really like the short favours, races, etc), but a good few longer missions. More cases really. A good supply of lengthy, story driven cases would be the perfect companion to the main missions.

Yeah I didn't mind what was there in Sleeping Dogs it was just too short. It kind of has the opposite problem GTA 4 has. I kill GTA 4 all of the time for not really having much to do but minigames and that ridiculous pigeon collecting thing but that's because GTA 4 doesn't have stuff like Sleeping Dogs has. If we could sort of fuse those two games' side content together I think I'd find a happy medium.

Like I mentioned Yakuza 4, that game has a lot of minigames like golf, batting cages, bowling and all that stuff but it also has character specific substories (sidequests I guess you could call them) and a couple of different features where you have to work on training and leveling up people to do jobs for you. Plus it also has an underground fight club which I don't know why Sleeping Dogs doesn't have. The different fight things it has is alright but there's no bosses or really tough scenarios.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd argue GTAIV and RDR had better thunderstorms. SD looks amazing in the rain thanks to the magic they worked with the wet pavement textures, but the lightning and thunder effects are lacking.

RDR had better skyboxes as well. So many variations.

I'd agree. Environmental wise RDR is hard to beat. My biggest gripe is the skybox in Sleeping Dogs because it seems a bit lazy compared to everything else. Ah well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The rain in SD is great, but the thunderstorms in Red Dead are legit terrifying. I'll stay in a town until they're down because it looks like it'll just whip me into a tornado. They're tied with Hot Pursuit for scariest thunderstorms in games.

The thing I'm really looking forward to in next gen open world games is putting seasons in. Kind of like Mafia 2 but on an actual game clock. Put some snow in, ffs

KyleN

Banned
Wow!
Just edited my BF3 Fxaa injector to make it work with SD.
I added a little bit of sharpning to get rid of most the blur and also added AA and stronger colors.

Feel free to test it out!
http://www.mediafire.com/?bk5wuqkqj4dthfz

Copy all the files to the SD folder.

Toggle it on and off with the "pause" key.

icTbYJlkIefZu.png

Shinta

Banned
I've been wondering, is there a weapon disarm move I'm missing somewhere? One time I managed to do a counter that stripped the knife from an enemy and left me holding it, but I can't figure out how I did it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
15 hours in and I'm still getting in cars on the wrong fucking side. Every single time.

Now you know how us British, Australians, New Zealanders, Japanese, and Singaporeans felt when we played GTA.

I'm not afraid to admit that it took a tiny bit of time to get used to driving on the "proper" side of the road in a game.

Yep. I suppose that's better than getting used to it, getting into your car IRL and driving down the wrong side of the road until you slam into a taxi.

I'm assuming this is one of the reasons they don't make GTA games based outside of the US. It seems like a good idea but there are a lot of little things you have to either change for the North American player or keep in. I just can't get used to it at all.

This game really came out of nowhere for me, I saw someone playing it on Justin.tv and I had to try it out. The combat is some of the best I have ever played.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I asked this a few pages back but didn't see a response. Is Two Chins house a story mission? I got a Spy Camera and Jade Statue in there that need OCD'ing but I can't enter the premises.

15 hours in and I'm still getting in cars on the wrong fucking side. Every single time.

Now you know how us British, Australians, New Zealanders, Japanese, and Singaporeans felt when we played GTA.

I'm not afraid to admit that it took a tiny bit of time to get used to driving on the "proper" side of the road in a game.

Nailed it. When all these racers started coming out with traffic on the 'wrong' side and I had to drive on the right, it took me ages to get used to. Now, we finally get a GTA Sandbox clone and I have to relearn driving on the left again. Although I do drive on the left in real life, it's fuinny how your mind is programmed to think. Games = drive on right. Real life = drive on left. :lol

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Yep it's a mission.

Cheers!

One more question for the masses as I really don't want to look up a guide, but is there a 'non' obvious way into this building for a Jade Statue?

646ff.jpg

I've been up into the scaffolding and made it onto the balcony but can't get in through the doors.

legbone

Cheers!

One more question for the masses as I really don't want to look up a guide, but is there a 'non' obvious way into this building for a Jade Statue?

646ff.jpg

I've been up into the scaffolding and made it onto the balcony but can't get in through the doors.

same here, this jade statue is driving me fucking nuts. i hope it is a mission because i can't figure out how to get it otherwise.

yeah, poor decision to make that statue visible before the mission is possible.

GPS is also quite... poor, especially if your destination is indoors. It doesn't take you to the door, but... as close as possible outside to the destination, which is problematic if you wanna say use karaoke at club bambam.

It also does tend to get funky on the highway.

Arcteryx

yeah, poor decision to make that statue visible before the mission is possible.

GPS is also quite... poor, especially if your destination is indoors. It doesn't take you to the door, but... as close as possible outside to the destination, which is problematic if you wanna say use karaoke at club bambam.

It also does tend to get funky on the highway.

haha yea whatever "shortest route" algorithm they are using is absolutely shit. I've had the GPS tell me to basically drive ALL the way around the map, instead of...you know, making a turn here and being at the destination in .0005 secs.

So I was doing a drug bust and drove my car into most of the guys, I finish off the amount needed the last guy stole my car and took off. 3 minutes later the fucker comes flying by me in my car, doing like 100 mph. I knew it was him by the damage done to the car. Game is seriously impressive.

Try calling your Valet when you're off the main roads, such as in the hospital parking lot. It's quite funny.

And yes, people, don't worry, you get that particular statue much later in the story. That's the only way.

HoodWinked

The aesthetic is what has surprised me the most.

I did not expect this game to be perhaps the most aesthetically and artistically pleasing game in years.

They have really captured the visuals of Hong Kong with great integrity.
I have never been to Hong Kong

can you believe that this game actually gets criticized for its visuals when its head over shoulders better than the majority of open world games. it is truly insane how off base some reviewers opinions can be.

can you believe that this game actually gets criticized for its visuals when its head over shoulders better than the majority of open world games. it is truly insane how off base some reviewers opinions can be.

I agree im playing the 360 version and it looks excellent, im jealous coming into this thread and seeing the pc shots though.

I love that the best way to escape the police is to destroy their cars. I can never seem to outrun them above level 1 though

Buy faster cars and bikes it helps a lot, my favorite thing is doing doughnuts around there car with the E brake then jetting off. The precision you have with the e brake is so much fun you can navigate through anything, and turn your car around so fast and it doesnt get stuck on stupid shit like other games.

Yopis

Hype men kissing up early to get exclusive gta previews.

SRG01

The "problem" is that cop XP is easy to gain because of all the drug busts.

Triad however has none. There should've been "enforcer" sidemissions or something where you beat up thugs or collect protection money, something like that to balance it out.

Can you mission replay from the same save and get Triad points that way?

Dead

well not really...yet
I haven't really seen people mention it much, but there is some cool as shit stuff on the radio stations.

Cruising around town listening to stuff like the Maccabees or Opeth is amazing

Grisby

I love that the best way to escape the police is to destroy their cars. I can never seem to outrun them above level 1 though
I've managed level 3 or so. It's a pain in the ass. Especially if you steal money trucks. They just drop in wherever you are and seem magnetically stuck to your ass.

I've managed level 3 or so. It's a pain in the ass. Especially if you steal money trucks. They just drop in wherever you are and seem magnetically stuck to your ass.
crazy rubberbanding for everything below class A cars.

the not lambo and not gtr are the only cars i've used to outrun cops.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got all the collectibles and done everything from the map, but I still haven't opened up all events apparently and not at 100%. I guess I have to be near proximity to finish up the rest of the events? Kinda making me go crazy since I'd have to drive everywhere if so

is there a way to 'hold a drift'? I can't seem to get a hang of it, and it does seem kinda pointless when you can corner so sharply without letting go of the gas anyways.

Cloudy

Banned
haha yea whatever "shortest route" algorithm they are using is absolutely shit. I've had the GPS tell me to basically drive ALL the way around the map, instead of...you know, making a turn here and being at the destination in .0005 secs.

The GPS is pretty good once you figure it out. The little white arrows mean your destination is in that direction but don't make the turn until you see the big, faded colored ones

trinest

I got all the collectibles and done everything from the map, but I still haven't opened up all events apparently and not at 100%. I guess I have to be near proximity to finish up the rest of the events? Kinda making me go crazy since I'd have to drive everywhere if so

You upgrade your flats 100%?

Top Bottom