• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

JohngPR

Graphics: 7
Performance: 9
Fun Factor: 10

fAIT5.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just finished. Still my GOTY. Never dipped in quality for me once. I thought the story got more interesting as it went on, but I knew that would happen. Great voice acting. Wish the characters got more time like a Yakuza game, but that's not what kind of game this is. I never had any real complaints about the shooting parts. They were easy. They were no worse than a GTA or Saints Row or Red Dead. I think this game does a good job outting certain journalists as always nitpicking stuff about open world games unless they're made by Rockstar or Bethesda(and I like both those developers).

I will say, if there's a sequel, I hope it is more focused on you being a cop rather than 'oh yeah you're also a cop', but I doubt it. Probably my favorite open world game of all time. I need to replay San Andreas to check though.

tigerin

btw: are the 2 sewer access drug bust missions activated through story missions? Not too sure how to get to them.

try jumping in the water, it should be underground.

I've been wondering, is there a weapon disarm move I'm missing somewhere? One time I managed to do a counter that stripped the knife from an enemy and left me holding it, but I can't figure out how I did it.

you run toward them and grapple. i'm pretty sure it's an upgrade move.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I never had any real complaints about the shooting parts. They were easy.

The shooting is super basic and not hard at all, but I can't help but find it very satisfying. I love that you can vault over cover, enter slow mo, and chain together headshots to clean a room without taking a hit. The guns sound meaty and tough, especially with the sound dilation in slow mo, and impacts are bloody and satisfying.

I also managed to have the game bug out at one point and, while jumping on a bike, have the game think my pump action shotgun was the pistol. I lived out my Terminator 2 bike scene fantasies and it was glorious.

I do wish vaulting over stuff wasn't the only way to activate slow mo. I've been in a few missions or situations where you are pretty much forced to hold down an area, or if you vault over stuff but can't keep slowmo going due to lack of enemies within sight (or have shit aim) you end up pretty exposed.

leng jai

Sleeping Dogs at night is what I always envisaged GTA4 looking like with ENB (I could never be assed putting the effort into setting it up). Stuttering seems to be completely gone after todays patch. Game runs virtually flawlessly now on my PC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Psst, force anisotropic filtering ;).

Cloudy

Banned
Is anyone else unable to download the ps3 update to this game? It sucks cos the social hub and other dlc content aren't available to me :(

Moaradin

This may very well be my favorite open world game so far this gen. The story up to this point has been great so far and I love the atmosphere.

iNvid02

Yeah, I was going back the thread and noticed my shots don't look as nice as others (blur aside). Time to bump up the eye candy.

everyone down samples these days which makes stuff look a lot nicer. but yeah af should be enabled/forced all the time

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Managed to get the 10 guns achievement by finishing the game, but i'm still missing the melee ones. I know I've used
the hatchet, the knife, the lead pipe, the shopping bag, tong's knife, and the handsaw
any ideas?

Managed to get the 10 guns achievement by finishing the game, but i'm still missing the melee ones. I know I've used
the hatchet, the knife, the lead pipe, the shopping bag, tong's knife, and the handsaw
any ideas?

I got mine using
a briefcase you can grab off a pedestrian in the street.

quaere

Can someone tell me how to play this game? The knife/crowbar guys, that are immune to grabbing. If I counter an attack as soon as I try to follow it up I'll be hit with an attack I couldn't counter from one of the other guys.

any ideas?

Briefcase, purse, and umbrellas from pedestrians, batons from baddies, and the fish.

Can someone tell me how to play this game? The knife/crowbar guys, that are immune to grabbing. If I counter an attack as soon as I try to follow it up I'll be hit with an attack I couldn't counter from one of the other guys.
You should be able to counter even if you are doing a combo. Or you can run up and tackle them.

Cloudy

Banned
Is anyone else unable to download the ps3 update to this game? It sucks cos the social hub and other dlc content aren't available to me :(

The key was to disable the media server option in the ps3 network settings if anyone else was experiencing this

Cloudy

Banned
Does anyone know what the ps3 patch fixes? I've played 9 hours already without it and I think the game is almost perfect lol

newsguy

Is there a glitch with the surveillance missions? I've hacked all the cameras in the first section but only 6 of 9 show up on my surveillance monitor.

EatChildren

I still love this game, but fuck car races in open world games. Stop it. Stop. Just stop it.

If they released DLC composed of nothing but bike and car racing tournaments, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

That's how much I enjoyed the racing in Sleeping Dawgs.

I still love this game, but fuck car races in open world games. Stop it. Stop. Just stop it.

I actually really enjoyed the racing. More than I have in any other open world game. The neon flying past you, the great music, the beautiful flares, etc. Overload of lights was like being hypnotized in the Class A races.

EatChildren

Does it show somewhere the martial arts clubs I've already beat? I can't seem to locate it.

Nup, as you can keep fighting them for money or fun. There's only four though, one in each area of the island, so it shouldn't be too hard to remember which ones you've beaten.

Is there a glitch with the surveillance missions? I've hacked all the cameras in the first section but only 6 of 9 show up on my surveillance monitor.

There are other cameras in the area that aren't part of the drug busts. You can either seek it out or wait for a certain event that will allow the cameras to show up on your map.

Zaptruder

Banned
If they released DLC composed of nothing but bike and car racing tournaments, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

That's how much I enjoyed the racing in Sleeping Dawgs.

I did too, despite my earlier bashing about the driving model (which is still not fantastic, but is acceptable once I figured out the idiosyncrancies of it). Just a really nice experience - but one that's also a bit too easy for its own good.

It'd be good if they could have multiple laps, tougher opponents, and maybe even a tweaked driving model to provide more weight to the vehicles.

Still... some of the racing up and down Victoria peaks is my favourite racing from any game ever.

Cloudy

Banned
Unreal I loaded the SD update and now my ps3 won't read the game. What a nightmare :(

edit: restoring system defaults seems to have fixed it. Man this ps3 is so ready to die lol

Zaptruder

Banned
The driving is solid but it is definitely very flawed. Favourite racing from any game ever? Really?

Really just limited to the one race. For all the flaws of the racing and driving model, just the sheer awesome factor of racing up and down narrow winding mountain terrain with oncoming traffic overcame all other limitations.

I'm assuming this is one of the reasons they don't make GTA games based outside of the US. It seems like a good idea but there are a lot of little things you have to either change for the North American player or keep in. I just can't get used to it at all.
You do realize that GTA games are sold outside the US too, right? And that the developers of GTA drive on the opposite side of the road from their game and its cars, right?

rocK`

Banned
Got SD to work, had to reinstall it.

Played for about 4 hours today - such an awesome game. Thought how they slow rolled getting a gun was pretty cool, I completely forgot it as I think the combat rivals Yakuza series.

Jezabel

loving this game. just got my first gun and have no inkling to use it, the hand to hand combat is to much fun.

my GOTY so far.

For me,
the story really lost it's momentum after Uncle Po got shot. The first half really built up tension about where Wei's loyalty lies and whether or not I was going to get outted as a rat. But after Uncle Po gets hospitalized, it turns into this Sun on Yee internal betrayal stuff and I feel like the main theme gets lost. They tell you that you've been outted when it doesn't seem to matter anymore, and the conversation when Jackie wants out is great in the context of the duplicitous paranoia they have established, but I was hoping for something like a moment when Wei is forced off the fence and has to deal with the consequences. Even better, give me two endings based on where the player chooses to put their loyalty in a tight spot.
The first half was so engaging that I ended up with some significant expectations.

I had this constant thing in my head where
the characters actions' later on just didn't make sense. Indeed, earlier on I kept asking myself "why don't I just go to Dogeye's house and shoot him in the face? No, let's wait for him to kill Winston and his bride at their wedding. Later it was "why don't I just go kill Big Smile Lee if he's clearly the traitor?" It was unclear later on whether he was the one behind the infighting or if it was the 18k, but just to be safe, I kept wanting to just go kill him before he could fuck everything up.

I get the same sense of disconnect between the realism of the story and the over-the-top design of the action. I'm getting chased out of rival gang territory and shooting the pursuing motorcycles in one of the side missions and I must have blown up 50 of the fucking things. I'm fighting 15 guys at a time constantly and kicking all their asses. I'm shooting up room after room full of thugs and nobody in the game stops to say "wait a minute, Wei, I think you might be Jesus". You simply kick too much ass and do too much insane shit in this game is what I'm saying. It works in Saints Row because those games are supposed to be ridiculous, but in this game, a lot of the action felt wrong within context.

With that said, it was still entertaining, and I'm surprised that a spectacle game can still impress me with action setpiece stuff. For the most part, it worked because that stuff was integrated with the gameplay really well, and there's a nice variety between driving, shooting and punching people to make it so that I never get bored with any single element.

Got SD to work, had to reinstall it.

Played for about 4 hours today - such an awesome game. Thought how they slow rolled getting a gun was pretty cool, I completely forgot it as I think the combat rivals Yakuza series.

I really like the combat too. I heard that the combat designer from Bully and The Warriors worked on it. You can really see the similarities if you played those games. Especially the first time I ran and tackled an enemy.

Top Bottom