• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

leng jai

I went to a clothing store and left without buying anything. The chicks says "please don't came again" on my way out. Bitch.

EDIT: Holy crap I started one of the Face missions right outside the shop and the dude just goes in and shoots her. LOL.

GlamFM

Banned
I just listened to the latest episode of IW on GameTrailers and Shane said the game is actually sold out in a lot of places.

God I hope it´s true - I really want this game to be a huge success.

Yep it make's a massive difference for immersion IMO. Seriously anyone who is from HK needs to buy this game. It's a really unique experience.
Yeah it's rare for our city to take the centre stage in a game, I think it should be encouraged so that more developers would take the risk in making games based in an area outside of the United States, and it should also be mandatory for every Hong Kong citizen to buy at least one copy of the game LOL.

But I was asking specifically about people who don't speak Chinese, do you feel like "the fuck is everybody saying?" or do you think it was a good decision to include all Cantonese dialogues for the pedestrians? Essentially you the player is a tourist in the city, but your virtual avatar is a born and raised local of Hong Kong, it's working on the assumption that you would understand (or at least pick up on as you play through the game) some of the slangs like pok gai and such. I just think it's a risky gamble on United Front Games' part (and one that I applaud them for taking), knowing that some of their target audience from the Western market can be reluctant to play a game that is foreign to their culture.

bud23

If nothing else, this game proves that GTA *can* explore a non-American setting. I know GTA's lampooning of American culture is arguably the cornerstone of the franchise - but after LA, why not Paris/London/Moscow/Tokyo etc?

not gonna happen.

Dan Houser last year;
"There are very interesting crime stories and other stories you can tell about anyplace in the world. Whether that would work with Grand Theft Auto — when so much about Grand Theft Auto is about the Americana, about the American media — is something I’m not sure about."

Jimrpg

Thanks. Too bad. I really would love to have some cantonese or mandarin in there :(

The voice acting is really great... u won't miss it - in fact its both good in english and the bits of cantonese they have in there.

im sure all hong kongers and purists would have wanted cantonese but i reckon UFG have made the right call on this and i think even hong kongers who know that the city is not 1:1 hong kong and the characters speak english that the experience is just fun.

SJRB

Gold Member
I went to a clothing store and left without buying anything. The chicks says "please don't came again" on my way out. Bitch.

EDIT: Holy crap I started one of the Face missions right outside the shop and the dude just goes in and shoots her. LOL.

Haha that guy is insane. There are several face missions with that dude, all pretty crazy.

Really enjoyed the first mission in the game where you get into a firefight (not counting that tutorial with Pendrew).

It seems now I'm dying every time I try to take down some dudes so that I can hack a security camera. Whether it's in melee combat (where I've mostly been unlucky/unskilled :p ) and a couple of firefights that have gone really poorly.

Very impressed with the game overall so far, though.

jimi_dini

I drove in a taxi cab and stopped somewhere.
And a NPC got in and asked me to get him somewhere. Wei Shen turns around and says "Do I look like a fucking taxi driver" LOL

dino1980

Dont know if this has been posted yet. Pretty great to beat NSMB 2!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/363921/uk-chart-sleeping-dogs-beats-mario-to-no1/

UK sales

Sleeping Dogs beat New Super Mario Bros. 2 to the top of the UK all formats chart for the week ended August 18.

Square Enix's open world title - formerly Activision's True Crime: Hong Kong - also enjoyed the fifth best opening sales week of 2012, according to retail monitor GfK Chart-Track.
Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg may now be forced to eat his words, having said in February 2011 that True Crime "wasn't going to lead to a title at or near the top of the competitive open-world genre... To be blunt, it just wasn't going to be good enough." The game currently has Metascores of 84, 82 and 80 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively.

New Super Mario Bros 2 had to settle for the No.2 spot, a decent achievement given that the game is a 3DS exclusive. London 2012: The Official Video Game, Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes and Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games rounded off the top five.

GfK/Chart-Track Top 10 (week ended August 18):

Sleeping Dogs (Square Enix)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
London 2012: The Official Video Game (Sega)
Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner)
Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games (Sega)
Batman: Arkham City (Warner)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Activision)
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Ubisoft)
Dead Island Game of the Year Edition (Koch Media)
Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Warner)

Sweden not so much information but on one of the biggest videogamestore here its number one on xbox360 and Ps3.

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/spel/xbox_360/
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/spel/playstation_3/

Derrick01

Banned
I'm glad it beat that lazy cash in nsmb2 but in all honesty let's see where this game is next week, or 2 months from now in comparison to that game :p

Dont know if this has been posted yet. Pretty great to beat NSMB 2!

Sleeping Dogs beat New Super Mario Bros. 2 to the top of the UK all formats chart for the week ended August 18.

Wow that is insane! I know it is across 3 formats but that is really impressive to beat such a huge title. Glad to hear Square's gamble has paid off, love their Western publishing work this generation.

jimi_dini

Gimme Sleeping Dogs 2.
Gimme Sleeping Dogs 2.

I hope this really sells shitloads. Would be a damn shame, if not. Rockstar could take a dump in a PS3 case, write GTA on it and it would still sell. And if this one doesn't, it's just because of the name.

SJRB

Gold Member
The devs deserve this game to be a huge financial success, as does Square for taking the risk of purchasing and releasing the game.

I wonder how Activision feels now..

saladine1

lol, I was battling it out downstairs with the Police, just outside the entrance to my first apartment. I got bored so I decided to go back into the building and inside my apartment which to my fucking surprise, had one of the cops waiting for me in what I call a "Glitch Ambush".
He proceeded to shoot and then all of a sudden he disappeared into thin fucking air!
Only in Sleeping Dogs..

Seance

Banned
And a NPC got in and asked me to get him somewhere. Wei Shen turns around and says "Do I look like a fucking taxi driver" LOL

I need this game. Damnit I have a backlog to work through and shit all time to game. :/

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
^I really earned this game in that retrospect. I told myself after Max Payne 3 I had to start clearing my backlog. July alone I finished 6 games. Sleeping Dogs was still my first retail purchase since early May.

Did the same thing and got mission failed like 5 times before I figured out I was dragging the store owner instead of the drunk guy.

Each time these 'drunk guy' quests come up (I've seen about 3 different ones in different locations) I've just looked for the guy holding the beer bottle.

Also, lol@the taxi comment Wei made. I love this game. Tempted to buy it again but this time on PC to experience it with a new lick of paint. This is the first sandbox game that has continuously impressed me throughout. Usually I get bored of them halfway through but SD just feels the right size. Also, having the entire island unlocked from the start was a plus too.

Jimrpg

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's opinion on the pedestrian talking in Cantonese and the use of Cantonese slangs in between dialogues?

I speak Cantonese so I understand everything they say, some of the things coming out of the pedestrians' mouths are pretty hilarious and darn right cruel sometimes. They talk about topical issues in HK and reference pop culture as well, but for the English-speaking audience I'd imagine you might feel like you're missing out on this part of the game? The random banter in GTA4 helps with the immersion and brings Liberty City alive, I guess having every pedestrian speaking in English would break the immersion in Sleeping Dogs, but at the same time, you're playing the part of Wei Shen, he understands what everyone's saying, it wouldn't make sense that you don't. (Dialogues have subtitles for Cantonese slang, but not for everyone else in the city, right?)

I lived in hong kong for the first 7 years of my life... i still speak cantonese. I love the game. I was a little disappointed that it was mostly english but i got over it pretty quick. I figured it would be better for sales anyway, the majority market is US and the cold hard fact is that media sells better when its voiced in English.

But there's plenty of cantonese and english on the streets so I don't think non-cantonese speakers will mind all that much. I'm pleased that both the Cantonese and English voice acting is top notch.

Yep it make's a massive difference for immersion IMO. Seriously anyone who is from HK needs to buy this game. It's a really unique experience.

I'm pretty sure that this will be HUGE in HK. i just hope that most HK ppl will accept that its not a 1:1 replica and just enjoy the game for what it is because it is a really good game.

Walking down the street, saw a women getting mugged and her handbag snatched. Chased the guy down, tackled him and picked up the bag. Took it back to the woman just to see if anything would happen and to my suprise the act was recognised, Wei said something along the lines of "Here's your bag back" she took the bag and game me some cash. I thought that was utterly amazing.

Here in Sweden its released today, and in UK tommorow.

Just checked my preorder, I thought it was a Friday release. looks like I should pay attention to release dates.

ekim

I just listened to the latest episode of IW on GameTrailers and Shane said the game is actually sold out in a lot of places.

God I hope it´s true - I really want this game to be a huge success.

I hope so too + a GOTY edition with all DLC and PC graphics for nextbox/PS4.

Jimrpg

Yeah it's rare for our city to take the centre stage in a game, I think it should be encouraged so that more developers would take the risk in making games based in an area outside of the United States, and it should also be mandatory for every Hong Kong citizen to buy at least one copy of the game LOL.

But I was asking specifically about people who don't speak Chinese, do you feel like "the fuck is everybody saying?" or do you think it was a good decision to include all Cantonese dialogues for the pedestrians? Essentially you the player is a tourist in the city, but your virtual avatar is a born and raised local of Hong Kong, it's working on the assumption that you would understand (or at least pick up on as you play through the game) some of the slangs like pok gai and such. I just think it's a risky gamble on United Front Games' part (and one that I applaud them for taking), knowing that some of their target audience from the Western market can be reluctant to play a game that is foreign to their culture.

I hope the Edison factor won't drive sales away.... (actually i thought he did a damn good job and better than his acting anyway)

However having said that alot of people in Asian countries (except Japan) still pirate a lot of their games. In fact because its seen as a recreational item and not a necessity people are shocked if you purchase an original copy especially when pirated copies are so readily available. I would like UFG to consider a Japanese dub. GTA style games aren't known to sell in Japan but I feel Sleeping Dogs has good enough gameplay systems to rival Yakuza games and the game is linear enough that u can play just the story and enjoy it that way.

Finished up the story after 15 hours, spent quite a decent amount of time buying cars, clothes and doing face missions. Still a decent amount of side stuff to do but the overall experience up to this point has been really great. Love the characters and the story, and I thought it ended pretty well all things considering.

Walking down the street, saw a women getting mugged and her handbag snatched. Chased the guy down, tackled him and picked up the bag. Took it back to the woman just to see if anything would happen and to my suprise the act was recognised, Wei said something along the lines of "Here's your bag back" she took the bag and game me some cash. I thought that was utterly amazing.

Just checked my preorder, I thought it was a Friday release. looks like I should pay attention to release dates.

No Sleeping Dogs in Italy 'till 31-08 :(
The only way to buy and play the game now is via Steam, but i don't want to spend full 50 Euro. I have a bunch of old titles to sell so i have to wait and use some of these much hated gamestop this time...

Gen X

Something else I would like to mention too, I've been loving the Blue police missions, especially when you have to
place bugs and tune them in, tap phones etc
. I really hope this style of gameplay crops up again. Can't think of many games where you play as an undercover cop.

Ken

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's opinion on the pedestrian talking in Cantonese and the use of Cantonese slangs in between dialogues?

I speak Cantonese so I understand everything they say, some of the things coming out of the pedestrians' mouths are pretty hilarious and darn right cruel sometimes. They talk about topical issues in HK and reference pop culture as well, but for the English-speaking audience I'd imagine you might feel like you're missing out on this part of the game? The random banter in GTA4 helps with the immersion and brings Liberty City alive, I guess having every pedestrian speaking in English would break the immersion in Sleeping Dogs, but at the same time, you're playing the part of Wei Shen, he understands what everyone's saying, it wouldn't make sense that you don't. (Dialogues have subtitles for Cantonese slang, but not for everyone else in the city, right?)

The negative of understanding Cantonese is that you notice how repetitive the pedestrian banter is.

It was funny driving people on a bus in one mission and hearing them yell "what did I do to deserve this" in Cantonese.

Pollux

I fucking love that this game is selling and that everyone loves it as much as I do. GOTfuckingY.

I'm going to have to live vicariously through the rest of you since classes start again this year in about 45 minutes which means *no* video games for the semester...so...more screen shots and crazy stories please!!!!

By no video games I mean a huge reduction :jnc...y'all really think I can stop gaming? haha. I was trying to explain why I was going to take a day off of law school when Halo 4 comes out and my dad just couldn't understand...I finished the conversation with "I've given 11 years of my life to Halo and only 1 year to law school...Halo wins at the moment". Same theory for Hitman...and Dishonored I won't even try to justify to myself it just looks fucking awesome. Sorry for rambling.

Gimme Sleeping Dogs 2.
Gimme Sleeping Dogs 2.

I hope this really sells shitloads. Would be a damn shame, if not. Rockstar could take a dump in a PS3 case, write GTA on it and it would still sell. And if this one doesn't, it's just because of the name.

at the very least i hope it does well enough to be supported with dlc like episodes for gta iv

It really is awesome to see the game get released and turn out to be so good after everything the project has been through. Hopefully word of mouth gets it some strong sales, that would be the last piece if this heartwarming (for lack of a better term, at least) puzzle.

i3 320 Ghz
ATI 5670 (512 MB)

Should I be able to run this at a fairly decent level? The specs in the OP make it seem like I'll be fine, but GTA IV's horrific optimisation has left me worried.

Gen X

It really is awesome to see the game get released and turn out to be so good after everything the project has been through. Hopefully word of mouth gets it some strong sales, that would be the last piece if this heartwarming (for lack of a better term, at least) puzzle.

There are two other gaming forums I frequent and in both I'm practically the only one talking about it. Most others are waiting for a price drop or have no interest despite there being big GTA & Saints Row fans. Kinda sad really. Personally, I think this is the best game out of the three IPs.

trinest

Finished the game, its a bit late (considering I have to wake up tommrow early). But I wanted to push myself a little further because I was like "this stuff is starting to be last few mission stuff". And I was like right. And I was like, OMFG.

This is GOTY 2012 unless anything epic comes out later this year I see nothing which will knock it from its purch.

And the final few missions wrap the story up nice and make it enjoyable.

Something else I would like to mention too, I've been loving the Blue police missions, especially when you have to
place bugs and tune them in, tap phones etc
. I really hope this style of gameplay crops up again. Can't think of many games where you play as an undercover cop.

Sometimes I wish there were missions where I chase dudes down and handcuff 'em.
Maybe dlc?

bedlamite

Just spent 850k on clothes, damn. Got a little sick of always having to visit the shops for new threads so after I got the
Dai Lo
perk I was like fuck it. The sad thing is that I'll probably still keep wearing that Andy Lau outfit, cuz it's just too fucking boss.

Stitch

Gold Member
I guess they actually would release an SDK but Squenix won't let them...

But hey, all the GTAs, Just Cause, the Saints Row games also never got an SDK and there are still many mods for them :)

ekim

I guess they actually would release an SDK but Squenix won't let them...

But hey, all the GTAs, Just Cause, the Saints Row games also never got an SDK and there are still many mods for them :)

deompiling that stuff and messing around with that botchy code is nothing but frustrating.

Clydebink

Neo Member
I had this constant thing in my head where
the characters actions' later on just didn't make sense. Indeed, earlier on I kept asking myself "why don't I just go to Dogeye's house and shoot him in the face? No, let's wait for him to kill Winston and his bride at their wedding. Later it was "why don't I just go kill Big Smile Lee if he's clearly the traitor?" It was unclear later on whether he was the one behind the infighting or if it was the 18k, but just to be safe, I kept wanting to just go kill him before he could fuck everything up.

I could get down with a Mount & Blade kinda system in gangster/copland. You have rackets and have to keep them in line so as not to piss off the police too much. But at any point you can shoot leaders or members and watch as the strategic A.I. tries to reach a relative peace and balance. The A.I. factions could have priority variations (depending on which N.P.C. leads them) of avoiding police attention, gaining territory, avenging deaths, and forming internal and external alliances.
Then you could shoot anyone you wanted, but you would have to make it look like an accident.

This game is fantastic. I have collected all of the health shrines, nearly half of the lockboxes, and every statue that is currently attainable. I have also done every race (that is available to me currently), every martial arts club, and a few other completion things. To boot, I am only about five or six missions in, too (whichever mission unlocks races was my last one).

I'm absolutely loving this game. Got it on Friday and have about 6 hours logged; I just finished the mission where I unlocked the pistol. Really enjoy how lively the city feels in comparison to GTA or Saints Row - so many people walking around. Someone was asking earlier if the pedestrians speaking Cantonese bothered people who don't understand the language; well, I don't understand a lick of it and I actually love that they're not all just talking in English (though, all the cutscenes/dialogue being English is great, even if it's not wholly authentic, the voice acting is awesome and they still throw in Cantonese slang and swear words all over the place).

I'm not sure what my completion % is but I'm trying to take it slowly, my only goal is hopefully beat it before Borderlands 2 comes out but, honestly, I'm hoping it lasts awhile because I'm having a ton of fun.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone who can compare it to the Yakuza games for me? What will I dislike/like about this game if the Yakuza games are my favourite games in this kind of genre?

Top Bottom