• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

jimi_dini

Anyone who can compare it to the Yakuza games for me? What will I dislike/like about this game if the Yakuza games are my favourite games in this kind of genre?

Why do you love Yakuza?

Melee system? SD doesn't have as much depth in it as Yakuza
Funny substories? SD delivers
Karaoke? SD has it as well, but the controls are completely different and easier. Also the bullcrap slowing down/getting faster all the time doesn't happen in SD. It's scrolling through, which would make Yakuza Karaoke much better.
Memorable main story? SD delivers
Sympathic characters? SD delivers
nailed the setting? SD did so as well
100+ hours content? SD doesn't have nearly as much, but it also has no textbox dialog

SD has a freerunning system unlike Yakuza, which I guess I will miss in any upcoming open world games, that won't have it.

Yaska

Finished the main story, liked the game. Now for a brief break,before I delve back in and 100% the game.
Only real complaint about the game is the *potential spoiler about the whole game* is
the dates. I mean you just date 'em once and then they're gone completely? I never heard of 'em again except for Tiffany who broke up with Wei and Not Ping apparently left a voicemail. And then one mission for one or 2 dates. Would've wanted to see more of the girls.

garath

Why do you love Yakuza?

Karaoke? SD has it as well, but the controls are completely different and easier. Also the bullcrap slowing down/getting faster all the time doesn't happen in SD. It's scrolling through, which would make Yakuza Karaoke much better.
100+ hours content? SD doesn't have nearly as much, but it also has no textbox dialog

SD has a freerunning system unlike Yakuza, which I guess I will miss in any upcoming open world games, that won't have it.

Not related to just Yakuza, but I'm going to have a tough time playing any open world game like this again without a solid melee and free running system like SD. It's just so satisfying and really makes me enjoy the game even more.

Marleyman

Banned
I'm absolutely loving this game. Got it on Friday and have about 6 hours logged; I just finished the mission where I unlocked the pistol. Really enjoy how lively the city feels in comparison to GTA or Saints Row - so many people walking around.

The city blows away Saints Row however Liberty City is still the king. I fucking love this game though; 3rd on my list of open world titles this gen(GTAIV, RDR) but man is it just fun.

joesiv

I've just noticed that there's a modding forum in the official Sleeping Dogs forum and the first few people with good mods will get a t-shirt and a signed poster :D

These guys are pretty awesome ^^

http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1351

Epic, thanks for the heads up, I'm very interested in modding this game :) I wonder if they bothered to encrypt the PC files or not :)

*edit* I just realized, modding the script files will be pretty interesting for most people, as it's a proprietary scripting language designed by one employee of UFG... anyone know skookum script?

The city blows away Saints Row however Liberty City is still the king. I fucking love this game though; 3rd on my list of open world titles this gen(GTAIV, RDR) but man is it just fun.
It seems the pedestrians do more in Sleeping Dogs and there's a lot more ambient scenes of pedestrian interaction (even if some of them are canned)... like people arguing, chatting, hanging laundry, eating together, buying food, etc. Then places like the night market in North Point is 10x more alive then all of Liberty City combined.

There's just a lot of really great ambiance that makes the city seem more realistic than a big 3D maze with a bunch of lemmings bumbling around. Not speaking of Sleeping Dogs, I've noticed the same things in the previews of Watch Dogs (heh, dogs) as well. It's an awesome trend that I hope more open world games improve on, especially as systems get more powerful next gen.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why do you love Yakuza?

That was exactly the response I was looking for. Amazing, thanks.
How much content is there actually?

comrade

Not related to just Yakuza, but I'm going to have a tough time playing any open world game like this again without a solid melee and free running system like SD. It's just so satisfying and really makes me enjoy the game even more.

I like the melee combat(not as much as Arkham City) but the free running I definitely would not miss.

Anyone who can compare it to the Yakuza games for me? What will I dislike/like about this game if the Yakuza games are my favourite games in this kind of genre?

got this game because of my love of the yakuza series (not a fan of gta), &, if you like yakuza, i can't imagine you not enjoying sleeping dogs...

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
ok, so how do I tell whats a story mission and a side mission? id like to do side missions first
The green markers are story missions, yellow and the rest are side ones. You need to do some story missions for more side missions to unlock though.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
That was exactly the response I was looking for. Amazing, thanks.
How much content is there actually?

Depends on the player but I'd say closer to 35-40hrs to do everything. Currently I'm at 70% completion and around 26hrs. I've been trying to do all side quests that have been available before I've needed to progress with the story. Also been hunting for the packages and Jade statues.

This game is definitely the best surprise of 2012 for me. I love sandbox games but was kinda disappointed in SR3 (SR2 is my personal favorite of the genre), but Sleeping Dogs is scratching the itch in a way SR3 didn't.

The game is surprisingly polished given its troubled development history. United Front should be really proud of what they accomplished.

NIN90

Anybody remember the old True Crime screens with super bored Wei?

image_true_crime-12756-1967_0001.jpg

image_true_crime-12756-1967_0003.jpg

truecrimeemotion.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
Anyone knows anything about the beta tabs i steam for sleeping dogs? There are 3 of them and I have no idea what they do.

Diman

Thank you NeoGAF for pointing me to this wonderful game!
I have played it for 3 hours and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The car driving is so much better then GTAIV. Almost everything is better then GTA. Although the games are different because sleeping dogs has a more realistic setting compared to GTA.

So I'm still in the tutorial part of the game (having just returned some money to the restaurant), and I'm finding the controls quite clunky so far (on PC). Not altogether responsive, the combat takes some getting used to, etc. I might persist tomorrow.

KePoW

Banned
So I'm still in the tutorial part of the game (having just returned some money to the restaurant), and I'm finding the controls quite clunky so far (on PC). Not altogether responsive, the combat takes some getting used to, etc. I might persist tomorrow.

It's much better with a PC controller, that's the general consensus. There's not much shooting in the game, so KB+M is not really necessary.

Mafia 2 might be the only open world game that I actually preferred m+k.

Driving with wasd is shitty for the most part, and you drive a lot this genre.

I ended up scooping it up on PS3 for $15 due to a pricing error at BB but I wish I could have gotten it for 360/PC instead. However, it still looks and feels great and I am having a blast. Will prolly run through it again on PC but for now, I'm happy with what I got.

The game just feels right.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So what's the deal with 'jobs'? I'm nearing the end of the game (only three missions left by the looks of things), and have hacked every camera, completed all races, beaten the fight clubs, finished all favours, and have I think two 'events' left to complete. But jobs? I've only completed half or so.

I'm not sure what is considered a 'job'.

Arcteryx

So what's the deal with 'jobs'? I'm nearing the end of the game (only three missions left by the looks of things), and have hacked every camera, completed all races, beaten the fight clubs, finished all favours, and have I think two 'events' left to complete. But jobs? I've only completed half or so.

Probably the car collection/debt collection stuff. They aren't infinite(which is kind of silly considering you are collecting cars); I think there are roughly 30-35 cars you need to collect for Tran(?), probably the same amount of debt collection sidemissions.

derFeef

Martial Art Clubs, Car deliveries, Dept thingys.

omonimo

Banned
360 seems to have a little more eyecandy/polish, but there is nothing "wrong" with the PS3 version. I played through it on PS3 and only had a few hiccups and one crash.

Mmm... it's subjective... probably you need to check both, because reading DF & from my eyes too ps3 IQ remind to GTA 4 blurry in the texture details & it's not a great deal for all...

Darklord

Banned
Is there a point to Amanda and those girlfriend characters? I've been on like 1 date with her and then that's it. I can't even call her anymore.

krishian

Is there a point to Amanda and those girlfriend characters? I've been on like 1 date with her and then that's it. I can't even call her anymore.
You get shrine/camera/statue icons on your map, that's it.
The "cheating" cutscene with Tiffany is hilarious though.

Pretty sure "jobs" are the ones you get from calling folks on your phone. Car stealing and racketeering missions, that sort of thing.

Arcteryx

They unlock abilities(lockboxes/statues visible etc), but otherwise they are just merely a diversion. A couple figure into the plot, but not a great deal though.

Derrick01

Banned

The car deliveries probably make up 10-15 alone and they pay so damn well. I don't know if the cars are randomized but I managed to get close to 4 million delivering them all. Then you have those dumb bank trucks or whatever they are.

Dennis

Banned

How can you be so far in the game already with your fulltime job as a NeoGAF mod?

Top Bottom