• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

jimi_dini

Gonna try this. Been looking for the tell since I got the game.

It worked 5 times in a row for me. But then it wasn't that obvious anymore. Maybe there are 2 ways of telling the player.

The developers said previously that there is definitely a way to tell for sure which cock is going to win.

How do you do the events? I beat the game and it says I've only done 4 events, I don't see anything on my map

use your phone and call those 2 guys. They will give them out.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think I found a way to win in cockfighting every time :p

Cock A: 164 wins
Cock B: 0 wins

It's cock B right? Or perhaps the game thinks the player thinks it will be B, so it's A. But the game probably anticipates the player thinking A because B is too obvious over A, so it's B.

Right?

jimi_dini

Aren't those jobs though?

Hmm, then I guess those are the favors?!?! Those happen randomly, sometimes I saw some of them on the map (yellow sign with a man inside)

EDIT: Nevermind, that is also not possible. Then those have to be the random things that happen. I thought that those were the same as the favors, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Lesath

it seems if both legs are moving, it will win. Sometimes you need to wait a bit to be absolutely sure.

I just tried this, but it seems that
it's a looping animation

Cock A: 164 wins
Cock B: 0 wins

It's cock B right? Or perhaps the game thinks the player thinks it will be B, so it's A. But the game probably anticipates the player thinking A because B is too obvious over A, so it's B.

Right?

I thought so too, but it doesn't seem to bring consistent results either. I have had a bird trip into a box and kill itself, so I am beginning wonder if the battles are really predetermined (in the sense that a victor was decided before you place your bet), and perhaps the "battles won" may just set an initial health pool value (which, while possibly providing an advantage, doesn't seem to absolutely guarantee victory).

How do you do the events? I beat the game and it says I've only done 4 events, I don't see anything on my map

Some events are "random", but they're actually just hidden in predetermined places (dealing with drunks, dudes locked in cars). There are guides online for their general locations.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Probably the car collection/debt collection stuff. They aren't infinite(which is kind of silly considering you are collecting cars); I think there are roughly 30-35 cars you need to collect for Tran(?), probably the same amount of debt collection sidemissions.
Martial Art Clubs, Car deliveries, Dept thingys.
Pretty sure "jobs" are the ones you get from calling folks on your phone. Car stealing and racketeering missions, that sort of thing.
The car deliveries probably make up 10-15 alone and they pay so damn well. I don't know if the cars are randomized but I managed to get close to 4 million delivering them all. Then you have those dumb bank trucks or whatever they are.

Cheers. I'd done a few car missions but I was under the impression they were just random and constant, something to do for money even after the game had ended. I think those will cover the rest of my jobs.

How can you be so far in the game already with your fulltime job as a NeoGAF mod?

How will I be able to moderate Sleeping Dogs threads without knowing what the game is all about?

jimi_dini

I just did one. It's those situations, where you put a drunk away etc. It is said that they are not really random, but they will only appear, if you are near that spot and the spots aren't shown. So drive around and if a shield pops up on your map, then do that.

JoeBoy101

FYI for those still searching for stuff for their apartments:

I'm not certain its for all of the vendors, but pretty sure its the case that they are only available during the day. At night, they pack in and go home, so don't bother finding them then.

Voidance

FYI for those still searching for stuff for their apartments:

I'm not certain its for all of the vendors, but pretty sure its the case that they are only available during the day. At night, they pack in and go home, so don't bother finding them then.
I bought an AC unit, a coffee table and rug, and a mattress at night, so some vendors are available no matter the time.

Forkball

I beat it, clocked in around 19 hours. Did all the jobs, did most of the drug busts, some fighting clubs, no extra races, found a decent amount of collectables (including all the jade statues), etc. This game definitely has a lot of content, I can see it taking over 30+ if you want to get everything.

BREAKDOWN

+ACTION ACTION ACTION. Melee combat > pew pew pew third person shooter. I am so glad United Front focused mostly on the melee combat. It had the fluidity and simplicity of the Arkham games, but also had a lot of great combos and other elements to make every fight unique. Environmental attacks were kind of a gimmick, but they were certainly uh, visceral (especially the last one). There's a lot of the same enemy types (regular guys, weapon wielders, brawlers, fat grapplers), but every now and then there was a unique enemy sprinkled in that kept you alert. And actually, the shooting segments were pretty fun. The cover system worked well, and the HK action slow mo aerial gunfights never got old. The driving segments were also a lot of fun, especially when you were the shooter. Seeing cars explode in slow motion in the middle of the highway? Yes please.
+Sleeping Dogs is chock full of great missions. They don't last too long, checkpoints are generous, and they are pretty diverse. They also have a lot of weight to them because the story is so good, so you really feel into what you're doing. I also like the progression of the cop story missions, they operated quite differently from the triad missions, yet still had a lot of action. The side stuff, like drug busts, finding collectables, favors etc. were also really well done and actually worth doing.
+ The story and the characters were all top notch. You actually care about characters on both sides of the law, and Wei Shen is a fantastic protagonist. He's badass but likeable, heroic yet flawed. I highly recommend checking out the reports on your phone for more enlightening background information. Even the smaller characters had their own distinct personalities (who doesn't love Calvin or Salty Crab?). I felt like the story touched on some interesting themes, and was dynamic enough to keep me interested in the end. There were quite a few twists, but they were all very believable and memorable.
+Hong Kong. While the map may not be as big as other open world games (though I certainly never thought it was small), it's very diverse with a lot to see and do. Mountains, beaches, docks, grimy alleys, high-rise skyscrapers, ancient temples, it's all here. I'm really surprised more open world games aren't set somewhere in Asia.
+ The clothing was pretty diverse, and there were some amusing references with the preset outfits. I rocked the blue track suit jacket for a lot of the game, but when I got my face level high enough, I changed my suits periodically. Typically in games like this, I just go for one outfit and leave it be, but I was amused by Sleeping Dogs' diverse wardrobe.

- Sometimes the controls overlapped a bit too much. Admit it, you accidentally hijacked a taxi when you tried to hire one.
- Not enough Emma Stone (also insert "too much Emma Stone" depending on your opinion)

Sleeping Dogs is one of the best open world games this gen. Better than GTA IV, better than Saints Row the Third, better than Just Cause 2. Everyone should check it out, regardless of what you think about open world games. Bring on the sequel/DLC.

The Chef

I beat it, clocked in around 19 hours. Did all the jobs, did most of the drug busts, some fighting clubs, no extra races, found a decent amount of collectables (including all the jade statues), etc. This game definitely has a lot of content, I can see it taking over 30+ if you want to get everything.

BREAKDOWN

Nice impressions, thanks!
I so badly want to play this game but in my old age I have become a seriously cheap bastard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All lock boxes found.

All cars purchased.

Soon completion will be mine.

CSX

- Sometimes the controls overlapped a bit too much. Admit it, you accidentally hijacked a taxi when you tried to hire one.

The solution i found is to make sure you stand completely still for a second first before holding Y.

Works everytime for me

derFeef

Gimme a break, its hard to control the game with one hand on the gamepad and the other on the 'screenshot' key on the keyboard. Slows down progress a little.

BUT AT LEAST I TAKE TIME TO ENJOY THE SIGHTS

I do that too, and let Fraps take shots every 10 seconds.
8 hours only so far but hardly progressed through the story at all.

wingz

It's better to wait until you get Face Level 10, to get 40% off of car/clothes purchases. You save alot of money especially on expensive suits, and class A cars.

So I'm about 75% of the way through the story and about 80% complete overall and my Triad experience is really lagging behind. The thing is it's not like I've been doing bad at it in the missions, usually much better than my cop experience, but the drug busts and investigations helped top that up and it maxed out a while ago. I replayed one mission to see if that would do anything but the gain was minimal. Am I just going to have to grind it out?

So I'm about 75% of the way through the story and about 80% complete overall and my Triad experience is really lagging behind. The thing is it's not like I've been doing bad at it in the missions, usually much better than my cop experience, but the drug busts and investigations helped top that up and it maxed out a while ago. I replayed one mission to see if that would do anything but the gain was minimal. Am I just going to have to grind it out?

I didn't max out triad until the end of the game. Face and police were maxed out way before that.

wingz

You definitely don't need to have 3 triangles full for every triad mission, but you should 85-90% triangles full (altogether). What helped me to get alot points was doing the gun levels, and taking my time to do head shots and doing alot of vaulting when the opportunity arose. Also, when fighting enemies, you should use alot of heavy attacks and stunning enemies for additional points.

derwalde

because of the GAF-Hype i just bought that game (PC version), because in GAF i believe (no really im looking forward playing it; it looks great).

iNvid02

someone needs to invent a 360 controller with a screenshot button on the back

or enable controller buttons as the hotkey in afterburner, prolly easier

wouldbuy

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I don't buy that method for cockfighting. I watched both legs for a while and they always have the same animations. Both of them kick the same way in the same positions all of the time.

Tattooth

someone needs to invent a 360 controller with a screenshot button on the back

or enable controller buttons as the hotkey in afterburner, prolly easier

wouldbuy

Is it possible to map the Guide button on the 360 controller? I've always thought that could have cool uses like screenshots or steam overlay.

Nirran

Well it was good while it lasted. I got to the final mission and after enduring three game crashes my save will no longer load without crashing. I'm done with buying new games. Burned on both this and Darksiders 2. At least this wasn't as bad as Darksiders 2. I'll try reinstalling and see if that works it.

Edit: Anyone know where the save file is located so I can back it up?

I have a question that maybe some more PC-oriented gamers can answer for me. Why does the high-res texture pack not affect my benchmark (or in-game play for that matter) at all?

While I have 8 GB of RAM and a quad core processor, I only have (until my Radeon 6870 comes) a Radeon 5650, and I expected a huge hit when I turned that "DLC" on. It doesn't affect the FPS at all, yet it looks so much better. How can this be?

bitoriginal

Holy SHIT.

Very late/end game spoilers: Just did the mission involving Mr. Tong.
It was awesome, I actually felt a emotional response at seeing Jackie gutted like that. They did really well with making the whole Shen/Jackie relationship actually something I cared about. The proceeding torture scene with Tong was totally brutal too, they really didn't hold back on that one.
This game keeps delivering.

ekim

I have a question that maybe some more PC-oriented gamers can answer for me. Why does the high-res texture pack not affect my benchmark (or in-game play for that matter) at all?

While I have 8 GB of RAM and a quad core processor, I only have (until my Radeon 6870 comes) a Radeon 5650, and I expected a huge hit when I turned that "DLC" on. It doesn't affect the FPS at all, yet it looks so much better. How can this be?

It would affect performance if you'd have <512 MB of graphics ram.

ekim

Weird stuff happens in this game. I just stole ones motorcycle and shortly after I was chased by a random car and bike. After I stopped, some thugs left the car to beat me. Cool.

Top Bottom