• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

bryanee

Just found the
Kickboxer
costume from the movie its awesome.

This is easily my favourite game of the year so far.

lefantome

-Can someone upload a screenshots of the skyline from the sea, or from the mountain?

-is it possible to climb the mountain?

-how is the draw distance on pc? Look like they used some bloom filters and blur for the background objects :(

Do we have real screenshots of the game running on a console?

derFeef

Dennis found the slowalk button! god he will not make any progress.
(me neither).

GTA V's PC version needs to be preeetty awesome to top the look and feel of SD for me.

I keep that asking myself. I don't get most of the mediocre reviews too.

part of promoting blockbuster titles involves trashing non-blockbuster titles. it's understood that you've only got so much money, & so you're being encouraged to save it for / spend it on blockbusters...

only explanation that's ever made sense to me :) ...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished. The end game was brutal. Like they dialled up the violence factor to eleven.

Overall I really enjoyed the story, but it did need work. Conceptually it's great, and the dialogue is excellent, as are the characters. It's one of the few games where I've felt characters are pretty well defined and acted realistically. Wei especially makes for a great protagonist.

Where I felt it slipped up was the overarching narrative. Again, conceptually fine, but it feels like it's a bit all over the place, like it's missing exposition and development of certain characters and events. I'm glad I kept up to date with reports as they unlocked as they helped fill in a lot of gaps and built characters up a little more, but there were certainly a good few moments of "and now this is happening".

If I had one major complaint to the gameplay it's that I wish there was more. Free running, melee, gun fights, driving: yeah okay, there was some jank in all parts of the game, but they worked and they were fun. In a way I feel the game was just a bit too short. I wanted to engage in more shoot-outs, more brawls, and more driving. The best missions where the ones that did a little of everything, and they were very memorable because of it. Having so much going on is both Sleeping Dogs' greatest strength and arguably it's biggest weakness: it allows for variety, but it also makes me wish there was more of each individual component.

But I guess I'm being greedy, because the game took me just over thirty hours to complete. And that's doing everything, sans for two events, which I'm sure are annoyingly buried somewhere in the map. To have played that much game, and enjoyed 99% of it, and still want more. Well, that's a sign of a fantastic product.

I'll be doing the review for Rocket Chainsaw, which I hope to get up Thursday if not tomorrow. End of the day, Sleeping Dogs is far and away my favourite sandbox game of this generation, and the rightful kick in the pants this particular style of sandbox gaming needed. United Fronts did great things. The game deserves to sell very well, and United Fronts deserves to next work on whatever the hell they want to.

I was rushing through the game, but I stopped. Gems like this are rare. I'm going to cherish it. Especially since I don't see much between now and the end of the year besides Borderlands.

Marleyman

Banned
Like what.

Not a fan of the driving or the camera associated with it, radio stations are weak, gunplay isn't great, and the narrative and gameplay contradict too often(which isn't a huge deal), money is pointless(Just like GTA IV), losing cop points for idiotic reasons rally bothers me.

That being said, I love this game. My 3rd favorite open world title this generation. So, are you saying this game has no flaws?

derFeef

Not a fan of the driving or the camera associated with it, radio stations are weak, gunplay isn't great, and the narrative and gameplay contradict too often(which isn't a huge deal), money is pointless(Just like GTA IV), losing cop points for idiotic reasons.

That being said, I love this game. My 3rd favorite open world title this generation. So, are you saying this game has no flaws?

Oh not at all. I was trying to figure out how you measure this and as far as I can see most of those complaints are subjective.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It'll be Sleeping Dogs 2 if the sales so far are any indication.

Sales are good? I have to give credit to the marketing department for this one. They picked a perfect launch window, used unique iconography to differentiate it from the pack and really sold the police angle well.

Marleyman

Banned
I think the idea is more that similar flaws in higher-profile games from major devs like Rockstar, Bethesda, etc would tend to be glossed over by the mainstream games press.

I am asking him personally since he asked me. I get what you are saying however I don't always agree with it.

derFeef

What flaws do you think it has?
For example:
The camera centering is horrible, I hate it.
The "romance" plots are not very well realized, funny even.
It can feel janky in places.
Plot seems to progress too fast regarding the actions you do.

I think the idea is more that similar flaws in higher-profile games from major devs like Rockstar, Bethesda, etc would tend to be glossed over by the mainstream games press.
Yup.

Marleyman

Banned
For example:
The camera centering is horrible, I hate it.
The "romance" plots are not very well realized, funny even.
It can feel janky in places.
Plot seems to progress too fast regarding the actions you do.

Camera centering annoys me to no end. The romance portions start off solid but they just go away; it is strange. Plenty of jank, for sure. Thanks.

Gestahl

Finished. The end game was brutal. Like they dialled up the violence factor to eleven.

Where I felt it slipped up was the overarching narrative. Again, conceptually fine, but it feels like it's a bit all over the place, like it's missing exposition and development of certain characters and events. I'm glad I kept up to date with reports as they unlocked as they helped fill in a lot of gaps and built characters up a little more, but there were certainly a good few moments of "and now this is happening".

Yeah the game tosses and drops characters in and out of the narrative like candy. Like that Naz guy who showed up in a mission and that one police case? He's the guy you're with in the opening yet you would have no fucking clue this was the case if you didn't go back and replay the start of the game.

c0Zm1c

The game looks so good, for gameplay as well as graphics. I really do enjoy open world games so this is definitely on my to-buy list.

Jimrpg

Overall I really enjoyed the story, but it did need work. Conceptually it's great, and the dialogue is excellent, as are the characters. It's one of the few games where I've felt characters are pretty well defined and acted realistically. Wei especially makes for a great protagonist.

If I had one major complaint to the gameplay it's that I wish there was more. Free running, melee, gun fights, driving: yeah okay, there was some jank in all parts of the game, but they worked and they were fun. In a way I feel the game was just a bit too short. I wanted to engage in more shoot-outs, more brawls, and more driving. The best missions where the ones that did a little of everything, and they were very memorable because of it. Having so much going on is both Sleeping Dogs' greatest strength and arguably it's biggest weakness: it allows for variety, but it also makes me wish there was more of each individual component.

But I guess I'm being greedy, because the game took me just over thirty hours to complete. And that's doing everything, sans for two events, which I'm sure are annoyingly buried somewhere in the map. To have played that much game, and enjoyed 99% of it, and still want more. Well, that's a sign of a fantastic product.

I'll be doing the review for Rocket Chainsaw, which I hope to get up Thursday if not tomorrow. End of the day, Sleeping Dogs is far and away my favourite sandbox game of this generation, and the rightful kick in the pants this particular style of sandbox gaming needed. United Fronts did great things. The game deserves to sell very well, and United Fronts deserves to next work on whatever the hell they want to.

well said - i agree with everything you say... im 2/3rds of the way through but im sure everyone who is enjoying the game is actually trying to slow down take in the sights and do a lot of side stuff and the side stuff is alot of fun at the same time. Sign of a great game when you have to slow down the main storyline. But from a design point of view it looks to me they've been quite strict with cutting things out in the story and missions so that people don't get bored and that they actually finish the game. 20-30 hours is a long game but its not for Sleeping Dogs.

Ranger X

Camera centering annoys me to no end. The romance portions start off solid but they just go away; it is strange. Plenty of jank, for sure. Thanks.

We seem to be pretty much in line me and you with GTA in general...
How's the driving in this game? Feels near GTA4? San Andreas maybe?
For more precision on my tastes, I didn't like the physics and feel in general in Saint's Row 2 for instance. I also quite like the cars in GTA4 and I love the "weight" feel of the characters in GTA4 and Red Dead. (or again Assassin's Creed Brotherhood).

Just trying to see if i'd like Sleeping Dogs. What's the consensus around here about the extra stuff you can do in the game? Diverse? not much stuff? too much? boring or good? ,etc

How does the game compare to the Yakuza series? I don't know many open-world games.
From 2 pages back...
Why do you love Yakuza?

Melee system? SD doesn't have as much depth in it as Yakuza
Funny substories? SD delivers
Karaoke? SD has it as well, but the controls are completely different and easier. Also the bullcrap slowing down/getting faster all the time doesn't happen in SD. It's scrolling through, which would make Yakuza Karaoke much better.
Memorable main story? SD delivers
Sympathic characters? SD delivers
nailed the setting? SD did so as well
100+ hours content? SD doesn't have nearly as much, but it also has no textbox dialog

SD has a freerunning system unlike Yakuza, which I guess I will miss in any upcoming open world games, that won't have it.

How does the game compare to the Yakuza series? I don't know many open-world games.

I personally hate the Yakuza series. Bores me silly. This game feels more like GTA mixed with Saints Row and Bully. But it also has enough of its own unique spins on things to be its own game.

On a sidenote, I just heard a Queen song while driving around. Whoot. And the DJ also said they were going to play Siouxsie and Banshees after, but I died before it came on.

FStop7

Banned
Oh man I took out a guy by throwing a meat cleaver into his chest and then took out another with a roundhouse kick for the slo-mo finish.

Also, I love the drug bust missions where you have to clear the guys out before you can hack the cameras. My new favorite way to initiate those fights is to high speed crash a car into the loitering thugs.

Oh man I took out a guy by throwing a meat clever into his chest and then took out another with a roundhouse kick for the slo-mo finish.

Also, I love the drug bust missions where you have to clear the guys out before you can hack the cameras. My new favorite way to initiate those fights is to high speed crash a car into the loitering thugs.

I did this with a truck. Killed many of them with it, the others pulled me out and I finished them off via melee. Then I took a cab back to my place to use the camera and the fucking truck was still there blocking the view of the bad guys. Haha. Fortunately all it took was for me to step outside, jump in a car and then jump back out to reset the placement of the last car I drove.

Wazzim

Banned
Played a bit. Gameplay is cool and the environments are awesome, story is lame though and I can't help but skip the cutscenes.

JoeBoy101

Played a bit. Gameplay is cool and the environments are awesome, story is lame though and I can't help but skip the cutscenes.

6.jpg

On a side note, Dennis has inspired me to go back and just walk around town for a while. No side quests, no joyriding, no re-doing plot, no achievements. Just take a nice long look around. I didn't rush through it, but it would be great to just go through at a deliberately slow pace.

EatChildren said:
Also sequel with a female protagonist please. Based on Meiko Kaji from the Female Convict Scorpion series, pretty please.

Mmmhmm, mmmhmm. Tell me more.

Top Bottom