• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

antitrop

Yeah the fact that GTA4 has a meta in the high 90s and this is hovering in the 80s is a travesty. But games journalism and all that i suppose.
It's all about the name of the developer and the hype-train (and payoffs) that precedes the release.

Sleeping Dogs is a sleeper hit, right up there with Spec Ops: The Line in 2012 for me.

Bits of jank and a prevailing sense that it's not all it could have been, be it due to time constraints or whatever. Wish there was more to it, but I've had a bunch of fun with it for 30 hours.
WHY YOU NO HAVE PORK BUN IN HAND?

The dialog in this game is hilarious.
Stop fooling around and buy meat on a stick!

Also, run up a wall and press the fight button/key. Everyone should've tried that just because it seems like a thing one should be able to do. But anyway, it is a thing one is able to do in case you didn't know. Made me happy. Don't think the game ever tells you about it. It is highly worthless, but looks pretty cool.

Except for in this shot I took.
B95F7342B0329F027CF2675BF6A012BC81DF54DD

antitrop

Why are the review scores for this game so low? What am I seeing that they missed?

I realize GTA4 is a 4 year old game at this point and sort of a rough comparison to a 2012 game, but I didn't even think it was THAT great for its time and it was fellated all over the place (98 Metacritic). Sleeping Dogs is kind of blowing me away while sitting at an 80 metacritic.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hows the performance on PS3?

Why are the review scores for this game so low? What am I seeing that they missed?

I realize GTA4 is a 4 year old game at this point and sort of a rough comparison to a 2012 game, but I didn't even think it was THAT great for its time and it was fellated all over the place. Sleeping Dogs is kind of blowing me away.
Cuz Sleeping Dogs doesnt try to be Oscar worthy just damn fun.

JoeBoy101

The jank and bugs you see in AAA games by bigger developers tend to get glossed over. In this one, it was the basis for some droppage of ratings.

antitrop said:
I realize GTA4 is a 4 year old game at this point and sort of a rough comparison to a 2012 game, but I didn't even think it was THAT great for its time and it was fellated all over the place. Sleeping Dogs is kind of blowing me away.

Hmmm.

Dennis

Banned

Here is how it works.

Reviewers are enormously influenced by preconceptions of a game.

"Sleeping Dogs? hmmm, medium budget also-ran GTA clone?" "Probably a 7 or 8 out of 10 kind of game"

They don't have the courage to go "You know what guys, this game is frigging amazing - 10/10"

It looks "unprofessional" not to have the same unspokenly agreed upon opinion.

I realize GTA4 is a 4 year old game at this point and sort of a rough comparison to a 2012 game, but I didn't even think it was THAT great for its time and it was fellated all over the place (98 Metacritic). Sleeping Dogs is kind of blowing me away while sitting at an 80 metacritic.

That it is not made by Rockstar =p, oh and the prevailing midset that the overlord Activision said it wasn't any good, so they assume it's bad... and criticise things present in GTA as well XD

antitrop

Here is how it works.

"Sleeping Dogs? hmmm, medium budget also-ran GTA clone?" "Probably a 7 or 8 out of 10 kind of game"

They don't have the courage to go "You know what guys, this game is frigging amazing - 10/10"

It looks "unprofessional" not to have the same unspokenly agreed upon opinion.
I don't understand how it takes courage to give a video game a score.

Here is how it works.

I don't want to believe this, but it's becoming more and more evident that it's true.

Sleeping Dogs is amazingly polished and un-janky for me at least so far.

I have yet to encounter a bug.

Not sure if it's a bug, but I parked a smart car right outside my apartment door (yes, up both sets of stairs in front of the door). He couldnt get out so he kicked out the windshield and went into the apartment. Unfortunately he cant enter the car via the front so I was forced to restart from a save.

That's what it took? lol

This is easily a top 3 open world game this generation. Anyone who enjoys these types of games should pick it up. It's beautiful, has the best hand to hand combat system ever in its subgenre, and has a lot of heart. This is not a factory pumped out sequel, but feels like a love letter to Hong Kong, and martial arts action films. So good.

And through 34 hours, I've encountered very little in the way of bugs or jank. Certainly no more than the "almighty" GTAIV with it's terrible cover system and bad movement controls.

Dennis

Banned
I don't understand how it takes courage to give a video game a score.

If you are not one of the big name reviewers it is safer to go with the expected flow.

You don't want to look amateur by having a divergent opinion.

And you don't want to fuck up your relationship with publishers and their PR people by giving one of their big games an unexpectedly low score.

antitrop

If you are not one of the big name reviewers it is safer to go with the expected flow.

You don't want to look amateur by having a divergent opinion.

And you don't want to fuck up your relationship with publishers and their PR people by giving one of their big games an unexpectedly low score.
But what about giving a small game an unexpectedly high score? It happens incredibly infrequently.

Dennis

Banned
But what about giving a small game an unexpectedly high score? It happens incredibly infrequently.

Makes you look unprofessional.

If the expectation is that it will have a middling score and you give it a 10/10 maybe you are an unserious fanboy and not a serious game journalist.

MarkusRJR

So how is the game for someone who just goofs off and never does the story in GTA games? Is it fun to just wander around? GTA4 was kind of shit in that regard.

Reviewers are fucking morons who are more or less bought out by publishers; what else is new

Yep. There's no reason at all for me to pay attention to them anymore. If I'm on the fence about a game, I'll watch a Giantbomb Quicklook, a TotalBiscuit WTF is... or just a Twitch.tv stream of someone playing it to get a sense of what the game is about. Reviews are a bunch of shit in the modern world where media has grown FAR beyond the need for them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Some reviewers are shit. Some aren't. Taste is subjective. Publisher and preconception influence varies. It's not complicated.

Anyway, all clothes/cars bought. All missions finally completed. Only thing left to do in the game is karaoke, and grinding for gold/silver medals if I really want them. And I'm about half a level away from maxing out triad, but I don't see how I'm going to be able to do that now. I'm not even sure how you replay missions.

someone needs to invent a 360 controller with a screenshot button on the back

or enable controller buttons as the hotkey in afterburner, prolly easier

wouldbuy

Well I never tried if this works but technically you could bind Print Screen or any other button with Joy2Key to any free controller button :)

FStop7

Banned

Gamerankings shows an average score of 86% for PC, 80% for PS3, and the 360 splits the two. Let's call that an average score of 83%. That seems like a pretty fair average. The game's not without fault. I would give it a 4/5, personally. That fits right in with the averages.

Lesath

Some reviewers are shit. Some aren't. Taste is subjective. Publisher and preconception influence varies. It's not complicated.

Anyway, all clothes/cars bought. All missions finally completed. Only thing left to do in the game is karaoke, and grinding for gold/silver medals if I really want them. And I'm about half a level away from maxing out triad, but I don't see how I'm going to be able to do that now. I'm not even sure how you replay missions.

They're accessible from the social hub.

stn

I'd score the game in the 80's, which gives it about an A- rank. That's a great score. The game has a few flaws that I cannot ignore: the driving cam, for example.

x3sphere

Yeah the fact that GTA4 has a meta in the high 90s and this is hovering in the 80s is a travesty. But games journalism and all that i suppose.

You have to remember though, GTA IV came out 4 years ago, it was also one of the first open-world games for this console generation.

Side-by-side, I'd say Sleeping Dogs is the superior game, but it's been 4 years and expectations are higher.

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're getting at, I do think the power of the Rockstar brand influenced some scores of GTA IV.

That's what it took? lol

I've been right on the verge of getting this. I plan on building a PC within the next year and this would be a game I'd wait to play on that platform. Knowing the kind of experience it offers changes that though. If it isn't on a Bayonetta-level of "worse on PS3," I'll get it there.

Man, when I did the training mission for this, it kept bugging out on me and wouldn't let me advance past the tutorial, so must have broken the guy's leg about 50 times before it finally worked. Poor dude was never gonna walk again.

Same thing happened to me; I wondered just how many broken legs that guy could endure.

Gestahl

You have to remember though, GTA IV came out 4 years ago, it was also one of the first open-world games for this console generation.

Side-by-side, I'd say Sleeping Dogs is the superior game, but it's been 4 years and expectations are higher.

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're getting at, I do think the power of the Rockstar brand influenced some scores of GTA IV.

GTAIV was boring when it came out though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Laughed my ass off during the
Roland job where you hire the thugs to harass the Massage parlor. I thought they'd rough him up, but no, lol piss and vomit in the store instead.
lmao

I don't remember it as being boring, the game had tons of er, minigames.

I did however, got so pissed off at getting calls from people every minute, and having my relationship with them dwindling when I just can't give a fuck to hang out with them anymore.

It's more with the over-saturation of THAT in a sense. It just felt so overbearing that I just stopped playing the game entirely.

Long story short, GTA IV felt like an overly attached girlfriend.

JoeBoy101

How big is the map when compared to GTA IV?

Not sure what the exact comparison is, but SD's map is smaller. By at least a sizable portion. That said, it didn't feel like it in the slightest. Thing is that they used their real estate efficiently and through alleys, traffic, vendors, pedestrians, and so forth, the city feels much bigger than it is.

golem

Yea its one of my most dissapointing purchases this generation. I liked Vice City and SA too. Even went for the collectors tin. And Im guessing I'll never play RDR thanks to their refusal to put it on PC for some strange reason. Oh well.

Saw a couple funny things tonight. I left my apartment and threw the lady outside my apartment down the stairs. A woman at the bottom of the stairs hovered over her, then took out her phone and snapped a picture and walked away.

Went into a massage parlor and it was a legit place instead of a back alley massage parlor. The male masseur was asking a potential customer what kind of massage he wanted and the guy he was asking said this isn't what he expected and then walked away. Pretty funny.

hauton

Giving this a try

Story on first impressions seems quite throwaway, but I'm not playing this for some kind of Triad crime magnum opus.

But the interleaving between Cantonese and English is killing me. If I hear one more person say the EXACT SAME THING in Cantonese RIGHT AFTER he says it in English, I'm going to lose my shit.

Sarcasm

The repetition of English and in Cantonese is annoying ...but my biggest gripe is:

Why can I get 60 FPS (can't turn v sync off) at night even in a night market with like 90 people on the screen and FOG.

But once it day and less objects on my screen, its down to 49 FPS...and its jumpy 1 or 2 FPS which makes it really noticeable....

So odd.

Gambit61

Yeah I mentioned it earlier and haven't seen many people talk about it, but the content is really, really good. Surprisingly so.

I agree. I haven't been following the game at all so when Freddie Gibbs came on Real.FM I knew this game was going to be awesome.

Top Bottom