• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Dead

well not really...yet
The
Marriage
mission. Holy shit. Not to mention
Mrs. Chu's revenge after. God damn, Wei is in it DEEP
The story in this is pretty damn engrossing lol.

goodfella

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the song selection in this game is fantastic.

Ninja Tunes and Warp Records are both fantastic picks, and the hip hop station has a couple of good songs too (JJ DOOM!)

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the song selection in this game is fantastic.

Ninja Tunes and Warp Records are both fantastic picks, and the hip hop station has a couple of good songs too (JJ DOOM!)
Yeah I mentioned it earlier and haven't seen many people talk about it, but the content is really, really good. Surprisingly so.

lefantome

iW8OUFJ7T86FL.jpg

is the draw lod covered by blur and maybe fog all the time? can you show me better pics of the skyline?

can you climb the mountain?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
1024x640.resizedimage

Before I go insane, does anybody know where to go to hack the camera for the Drug Bust at Foo Long Overpass?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is constant depth of field, probably to obscure draw distance/lod pop-in. In that respect it's not the sharpest game over distance. But in motion the DOF effect, along with motion blur, works beautifully. It softens lighting and shadows over distance, giving the impression of natural sunlight. And in the rain it gives a sense of density to rainfall. It looks fine.

No you cannot climb the mountain. Natural terrain is the ugliest of all the assets in the game, but the entire game is otherwise restricted to roads, streets, harbours, the ocean and a few small beaches. It is not like San Andreas where you have complete free roam over every square inch of the island.

Before I go insane, does anybody know where to go to hack the camera for the Drug Bust at Foo Long Overpass?

It's up above the underpass from memory. Follow the orange wire from the camera. It will always lead to the box.

calder

Funniest random conversation I've heard so far was by a random detective giving someone shit on the phone. Basically asking the guy why on earth he was following "Crazy Eddie Lee" (can't remember the actual name) or something because the dude is crazy so what the hell is he going to lead the cops to. Ends up with the cop saying Eddie is most definitely not faking it, and that he's known Eddie's family his whole life so if Eddie was pretending to be crazy at 8 years old just so the cops wouldn't tail him now he deserves to get away with it.

FStop7

Banned
I did this with a truck. Killed many of them with it, the others pulled me out and I finished them off via melee. Then I took a cab back to my place to use the camera and the fucking truck was still there blocking the view of the bad guys. Haha. Fortunately all it took was for me to step outside, jump in a car and then jump back out to reset the placement of the last car I drove.

Hahaha! Seeing your wrecked car still sitting there when you check the camera is the best! Imagine the conversation going on between the thugs.

"Dude what the FUCK happened to all the guys we had set up here earlier? What's with all of this blood and whose car is that?"

calder

I have maybe one or two main missions left, all the secondary quests are done (except the random events and races) and I've collected everything. 26 hours in, I'd have done more races but I don't actually have many cars to my name yet, I keep spending all my cash on clothes lol. Very close to having all the clothes in the game I'm sure.

Oh, one thing, is gambling anything other than random? Not the dead simple poker games, but the cock fighting. I've lost... oh a couple hundred grand on that damn thing so far just trying to get the 'win 50k' cock fighting achievement. I lost about 300k in like 5 consecutive wagers. :(

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
It's up above the underpass from memory. Follow the orange wire from the camera. It will always lead to the box.

Are you following the orange wire?

Just follow the cable.

(It's on a building above)

Follow the gold wire.
Didn't even know that there was a golden wire to follow; I've always just wandered around looking for a glowing box. Thanks.

One of my favorite animations is when you slam the car between two walls or two cars and Wei kicks out the windshield in order to get out.

dreamfall

So post 35 hours, I'm one event away from 100%- and yet I've not a clue where to look! I've been driving around aimlessly for about twenty minutes with no luck; but it's such a joy to sightsee that I don't really mind...

antitrop

Just picked this up on Steam. First thing I have to say is... DEM GRAPHICS. I can max out every setting and hit about 40 average fps (60 w/ Ambient Occlusion on Medium, but I think the fps hit is worth it) and it looks absolutely incredible. Right up there with Max Payne 3, maybe even a bit better in some areas.

I've been playing through a little bit and I have to ask if the game is better on PC with M/KB or 360 controller. It feels like the hand-to-hand fighting system seems... weird with a mouse. For anyone who's played a lot of the game, which did you find preferable?

Not finished yet, and I'm loving this game, just walk around kicking some asses is awesome!

Yeah, and I like that some of the regular pedestrians always come back when the game resets. Like the woman and her daughter outside my door. Whenever I go outside if I hear the mother chastising the girl, I pick her up and toss her over the railing. She's a sturdy one though, since she always seems to come back. You'd think they'd learn and stand outside someone else's door.

Toki767

Just picked this up on Steam. First thing I have to say is... DEM GRAPHICS. I can max out every setting and hit about 40 average fps (60 w/ Ambient Occlusion on Medium, but I think the fps hit is worth it) and it looks absolutely incredible. Right up there with Max Payne 3, maybe even a bit better in some areas.

I've been playing through a little bit and I have to ask if the game is better on PC with M/KB or 360 controller. It feels like the hand-to-hand fighting system seems... weird with a mouse. For anyone who's played a lot of the game, which did you find preferable?

The game plays better with a controller by a longshot. It also has a maybe too generous aim assist for shooting.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I imagine that for most people it'll play better with a controller, but at least as far as the quicktime events are concerned, I can repeatedly tap my mouse and quickly hit F faster than I can hit a button, so I'm sticking with a keyboard/mouse scheme.

kaskade

I think I'm going to get this next weekend when I have some more cash. Some of the screens look amazing. Especially the nighttime stuff with all the neon signs.

Zeliard

Played for some, only at the point where you first get your bike and the game opens up a bit.

I'm rather shocked at how well it runs on my machine given how good it looks. I'm on an i5 2500k @ 4.5 & a GTX460 and I'm getting a very smooth 40-50+ frames everywhere with everything maxed cept AA on 1920x1200. I'm got AA on the normal setting so it's just the in-game FXAA (which I wish you could just turn off), but I'm also using an SMAA injector on Ultra which greatly reduces the blur, and the aliasing isn't particularly an issue overall.

Obviously I'd like to use a better AA solution but that's where my rig starts to really feel the strain. SSAO is on High as well, and the high-res textures are a treat.

I wasn't at all expecting to be able to run it this well with a 460. And the game is good stuff so far though I'm obviously just getting started.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm a little disappointed with all the relationship missions. I thought they'd be more in depth, but all we get is the one date per girl.

I want to keep dating Emma Stone!

golem

I think the idea is more that similar flaws in higher-profile games from major devs like Rockstar, Bethesda, etc would tend to be glossed over by the mainstream games press.

Yeah the fact that GTA4 has a meta in the high 90s and this is hovering in the 80s is a travesty. But games journalism and all that i suppose.

Zeliard

If you turn SSAO to Medium, it'll run a lot better.

I know, but I'm too fond of quality AO, especially in a game like this where it compliments the great lighting and textures. It's worth the frame loss to me in certain cases, this being one of them. It already runs much better than I was expecting even with it on High.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Beat the story the other night, but I've been playing here and there to 100% it. My only real complaint with the game so far is the face level requirement for clothing and cars. I understand wanting to use it to incentivize players to do the side missions, but it ends up just making the side missions feel like a chore.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I started downloading the Hi-Res Texture pack not realizing that Steam wouldn't allow me to launch the game until the pack finished downloading. Is there a way to cancel the download so I can resume playing the game now and download the textures overnight?

Dennis

Banned
I started downloading the Hi-Res Texture pack not realizing that Steam wouldn't allow me to launch the game until the pack finished downloading. Is there a way to cancel the download so I can resume playing the game now and download the textures overnight?

p..play...without the high-res textures...I...I don't even know what to tell you man....

2 main missions left and I really don't want it to end. I want more. More missions, more hand to hand combat, more shootouts in the middle of the streets, more crazy on foot and vehicle chases, more minigames, more side missions, more activities, more weird dates, etc. This has been a joy to play. Once you unlock the Tony Jaa elbow and the Ip Man style Wing Chun counter, the combat goes to another level of badass. So happy this turned out as well as it did.

GET TO WORK ON DAT SEQUEL PLEASE UNITED FRONT. MORE OF EVERYTHING.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
p..play...without the high-res textures...I...I don't even know what to tell you man....
I was afraid my computer wouldn't be able to handle them, but I heard that they don't impact the performance too much. I really wish I could play the game in the meantime, as the download's going to take half a day to finish.

JoeBoy101

Idly walking around and checking stuff out.

But dinner first! What looks good?

iblJpsGIUvJWMA.bmp

Thugs jump me for my takeout. It doesn't end well for them.

iTMYbst0jJ9ol.bmp

Leads me to a backstreet martial arts tournament. Is this everybody?

iu1d4DJtgdc2l.bmp

iX5756Rk6G3H3.bmp

ibjVotFNKSOaUA.bmp

Top Bottom