• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why are the review scores for this game so low? What am I seeing that they missed?

I realize GTA4 is a 4 year old game at this point and sort of a rough comparison to a 2012 game, but I didn't even think it was THAT great for its time and it was fellated all over the place (98 Metacritic).

Don't forget how the GTA 4 review process worked. The only way to get a review was to spend 2 days locked in a hotel room/Rockstar building with Rockstar PR reps while you played the game.

antitrop

Don't forget how the GTA 4 review process worked. The only way to get a review was to spend 2 days locked in a hotel room/Rockstar building with Rockstar PR reps while you played the game.
I've heard that before, but it actually seems like an incredibly obnoxious way to play through the game.

Yopis

Ala Mgs4 with kojima in front of the fireplace.

Sober

Dang, achievements on Steam won't unlock naturally for me, which is weird. For a quick moment they were working fine but now I'm stuck again plus the social hub "works" but the popups don't put any of my friends on the rankings, so I'm just #1 for everything.

Gambit61

Played for some, only at the point where you first get your bike and the game opens up a bit.

I'm rather shocked at how well it runs on my machine given how good it looks. I'm on an i5 2500k @ 4.5 & a GTX460 and I'm getting a very smooth 40-50+ frames everywhere with everything maxed cept AA on 1920x1200. I'm got AA on the normal setting so it's just the in-game FXAA (which I wish you could just turn off), but I'm also using an SMAA injector on Ultra which greatly reduces the blur, and the aliasing isn't particularly an issue overall.

Obviously I'd like to use a better AA solution but that's where my rig starts to really feel the strain. SSAO is on High as well, and the high-res textures are a treat.

I wasn't at all expecting to be able to run it this well with a 460. And the game is good stuff so far though I'm obviously just getting started.

Do you have anything on for screen tearing? I have the same card and the only way I can get the game to run smoothly without that weird stuttering/jitter is if I use Afterburner to limit the FPS to 30 and turn on D3Doverrider or the in-game vsync.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Just finished the game, I can't wait for the sequel, so excited!

Was there any alternate endings? I finished the game with Cop level 10, and Thug Level 8, Face level 10.

When I got through the credits my thug level boosted to level 9.

DLC moar! :)

what engine is this game running on?

The Xtreme Awesome Engine v.1.0

Wait... What the fuck. Did Wei just get laid on the first date?

Yes, he is Don Juan.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One part of the story I really liked was (major spoilers)
the way they handled Jackie's death. The fact you went out of your way to save him from one death, only to have him butchered the next day, really showed fucked up everything was and how knee deep in shit Wei was. Neither him nor Jackie had any control over their situation, even when they thought and wanted things to change. The fact there was nothing climatic about his death was great too. When Wei was saying how he wanted Jackie to speak at the voting, to explain what Big Smile has done, it would have been such an obvious set piece for Jackie to die. Instead they just went "nope" and had him killed off with no glory or dramatic climax. They wanted Jackie dead to get to Wei, and so Jackie died.

Zeliard

Do you have anything on for screen tearing? I have the same card and the only way I can get the game to run smoothly without that weird stuttering/jitter is if I use Afterburner to limit the FPS to 30 and turn on D3Doverrider or the in-game vsync.

I had to turn vsync off since it gave me that odd microstuttering. Without vsync the picture is still pretty smooth, though, in my experience. I'm not getting much tearing at all.

Hey guys I figured out something cool (probably not the first.) You know how you can't change individual parts of preset outfits without it unequipping everything? Well if you do this, you can.

1. Put on preset outfit. For example, try the grubby clothes. Notice if you try to unequipping any part of it, or equip something else (like glasses), it won't let you.
2. Now hit the button that is usually assigned to 'save as outfit'. You can't see this option but it'll work. On the 360, this is the X button. Overwrite if needed.
3. Now go to custom outfit and put on what you just saved. It'll look like the preset outfit you were just wearing, only now you can equip/unequip other outfit parts at will.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
One part of the story I really liked was (major spoilers)
the way they handled Jackie's death. The fact you went out of your way to save him from one death, only to have him butchered the next day, really showed fucked up everything was and how knee deep in shit Wei was. Neither him nor Jackie had any control over their situation, even when they thought and wanted things to change. The fact there was nothing climatic about his death was great too. When Wei was saying how he wanted Jackie to speak at the voting, to explain what Big Smile has done, it would have been such an obvious set piece for Jackie to die. Instead they just went "nope" and had him killed off with no glory or dramatic climax. They wanted Jackie dead to get to Wei, and so Jackie died.

Yeah, it was was terrible, I saved him, and then I saw him hanging in the alley like a piece of meat from Mrs. Chu kitchen. I kept thinking he would cough-up blood and awake from his sleep... But his eyes were open, and it was terribad.

But listen, it's pretty dumb how Wei tells Conroy to lay-low after the funeral incident, but not to the frail Jackie. No, Wei lets Jackie stroll around and go for a 'walk' after he's rescued from the first kidnapping, and 18k is still on the loose . WTF?

I liked how Wei Shen was able to walk-out of the torture room without a single scratch.

I wonder where all those women Wei hooked up with went... I mean I expected him to pull something on inspector Teng at the end, but she left us with a witty remark.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Man, I didn't think I would fail the Quick Time Fellatio Quest.

enfrn.jpg

Zeliard

Hey guys I figured out something cool (probably not the first.) You know how you can't change individual parts of preset outfits without it unequipping everything? Well if you do this, you can.

1. Put on preset outfit. For example, try the grubby clothes. Notice if you try to unequipping any part of it, or equip something else (like glasses), it won't let you.
2. Now hit the button that is usually assigned to 'save as outfit'. You can't see this option but it'll work. On the 360, this is the X button. Overwrite if needed.
3. Now go to custom outfit and put on what you just saved. It'll look like the preset outfit you were just wearing, only now you can equip/unequip other outfit parts at will.

Real men will strut around wearing a dress shirt, tie and jacket, and boxers.

KePoW

Banned

Whoa if this actually works, great tip

Zeliard

Best type of outfit to cave heads in with. "Do you need medical attention? Sorry, forgot my pants at home, can't help you."

I've bought and found a lot of cool clothes, but so far nothing tops the Amazon pre-order bonus. If Mr. Black had a bonus for wearing it, I would, but it doesn't appear to.

Claude

Catalina's bitch

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

Jimrpg

If you are not one of the big name reviewers it is safer to go with the expected flow.

You don't want to look amateur by having a divergent opinion.

And you don't want to fuck up your relationship with publishers and their PR people by giving one of their big games an unexpectedly low score.

We have to remember now that review sites are MASSIVELY conflicted by
1) increasing number of clicks
2) maintaining some sort of consistency
3) delivering to reader's expectations
4) being mainstream to achieve 1)

Basically the way I see it as this - there was a new kid on the block... and trying to get with the 'in crowd' (of GTA, Saints Row, Just Cause) and the reviewers didn't give it much of a chance. Prejudice i would call it.

I'd score the game in the 80's, which gives it about an A- rank. That's a great score. The game has a few flaws that I cannot ignore: the driving cam, for example.

I get the driving cam issue, but its auto centering.... doesn't every open world game have this problem? im sure GTA has it.

if not how would you do it? would you swing the camera around manually every time?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I remember seeing this game at E3 while strolling past the Square-Enix booth and watching some folks play it for a few minutes. It looked cool, but I didn't know anything about it. I didn't even know it was open world. The part I saw was in a crowded market, and I just assumed it was kind of linear mission based, with areas of the city to explore.

Anyway, I was always intrigued, but after looking through this thread for a bit, I'm thinking I just might pick this up. I can't at the moment, since my August game is already spoken for, but I may snag it next month. It's looking really entertaining and I love Hong Kong cinema, which seems to be a primary influence on this game.

Worth the $60, take it?

I remember seeing this game at E3 while strolling past the Square-Enix booth and watching some folks play it for a few minutes. It looked cool, but I didn't know anything about it. I didn't even know it was open world. The part I saw was in a crowded market, and I just assumed it was kind of linear mission based, with areas of the city to explore.

Anyway, I was always intrigued, but after looking through this thread for a bit, I'm thinking I just might pick this up. I can't at the moment, since my August game is already spoken for, but I may snag it next month. It's looking really entertaining and I love Hong Kong cinema, which seems to be a primary influence on this game.

Worth the $60, take it?
Yes it's awesome. One of my favorite games this year.

pubba

This game is fantastic! I've been pining to go back and live in Asia ASAP and this game scratches that itch. I love just walking around taking in the sights and sounds. Plus the driving and fighting mechanics work really well, the story is great and there is also some genuinely funny moments as well.

Aussie members can get it for 360/PS3 for only $68 at Big W. It's a no brainer - go and get this game NOW

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yes it's awesome. One of my favorite games this year.

Nice. I'm actually in the process of building a killer gaming PC, which should be completed by the end of September. Think I should hold off on picking this up (was planning on getting the PS3 version), and get the PC version instead?

My first PC game was going to be The Witcher 2, but maybe I could swing both.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I love this game.

The melee, while not up to Arkham quality, clicks with me. It feels so bloody good to take on 10 guys in combat, quickly disarming a knife wielding goon before burying it up to the hilt in one of his buddies, then breaking another guy's leg and snapping someone else's neck. If they sold injuries (wrestling-style), I'd be in heaven, but this will do nicely. Great new setting that we never see (driving on the left side reminded me of The Getaway on PS2, another underrated title), and one that I really enjoyed exploring.

Great story. Characters I actually give a damn about, and avenues I want to see explored in further updates. The GF angle felt a little tacked-on, but overall Wei seemed like a cool guy. There's always that disconnect between "I'm a cop doing what I have to do" and then killing gangsters willy-nilly, but until someone comes up with Spec Ops: The Line: Open World Game...this will have to do. Still something I'd like to see explored properly in sequels. I don't think I've ever seen an open world title properly square up the written character with the player's ability to go sociopath like Vice City's Tommy Vercetti. I'd trust UFG to give it a try, however.

Voice acting is top notch, too. I wish there was a full Cantonese option with English titles, but eh - that's okay. Solid B+ title, one that I'm going to come back to time and again. Fits just a rung below the RDRs and TBOGT's of the world, but the bones and meat for something truly awesome is here. Just typing this out now is making me jones for another go-round later tonight to mess around and have fun in this world. Well worth the wait.

Worth the $60, take it?
Yes. This is a full-price purchase for sure.

Is there a way to get rid of the shaky cam effect while driving on PC? It's giving me a massive headache.

Turning the camera while driving gave me motion sickness, i wanted to vomit.

Can anyone tell me if i can disarm thugs who have melee weapons without having to unlock a disarm move? I believe i unlocked a disarm for thugs with guns but do i need to unlock melee disarms?

Nice. I'm actually in the process of building a killer gaming PC, which should be completed by the end of September. Think I should hold off on picking this up (was planning on getting the PS3 version), and get the PC version instead?

I'm just a lowly console peasant, don't ask me! I think the 360 version looks fine.

Zeliard

If you're not in any particular hurry, it's worth the wait. The PC version is an astonishingly good-looking game.

LiK

man, a lot of the girls you meet/date are really well written and have a lot of personality (great VO too). it's a shame most of them only appear in a few missions. i found Amanda to be the weakest outta all the girls i met so far.

SMT

man, a lot of the girls you meet/date are really well written and have a lot of personality (great VO too). it's a shame most of them only appear in a few missions. i found Amanda to be the weakest outta all the girls i met so far.

I also wasn't a fan of Amanda. I kept picturing Emma Stone.

Vivi was so good, I didn't even know it was Lucy Liu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El42uezGqn4 Found this on Neogaf of all places; EatChildren.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm just a lowly console peasant, don't ask me! I think the 360 version looks fine.

Lol. I'm totally a console peasant, but I needed to upgrade my PC in general (the one we have is like, 5 or 6 years old), and I thought, "Well, if I'm going to get a new PC anyway, why not just build a monster?" It will be the first high end gaming PC I've ever had. I usually built them pretty low spec.

I'll probably snag Sleeping Dogs when the computers finished, since I know I'll be itching for things to show off what it can do. Lol.

Thanks bish for the response. It certainly looked like it was worth $60, but now that I've decided to wait, I'm sure by the time I pick it up, it'll have dropped in price anyway. From the looks of it, it's doing well commercially, so I don't feel too guilty about sitting out week one. lol.

Top Bottom