• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

antitrop

Lol. I'm totally a console peasant, but I needed to upgrade my PC in general (the one we have is like, 5 or 6 years old), and I thought, "Well, if I'm going to get a new PC anyway, why not just build a monster?" It will be the first high end gaming PC I've ever had. I usually built them pretty low spec.

I'll probably snag Sleeping Dogs when the computers finished, since I know I'll be itching for things to show off what it can do. Lol.

Thanks bish for the response. It certainly looked like it was worth $60, but now that I've decided to wait, I'm sure by the time I pick it up, it'll have dropped in price anyway. From the looks of it, it's doing well commercially, so I don't feel too guilty about sitting out week one. lol.
Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, and Skyrim with mods are all great ways to test out what your new hardware is capable of.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sandra is trouble. The best kind of trouble.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I accidentally plowed through a group of civilians at some ludicrous speed during that mission, and she screeched with joy.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
wow, no clue that was Lucy Liu. just met her. i really like Sandra's VO.

Sandra makes my heart race.

I found that it was terribly easily to down enemies with grappling attacks, Wei Shen knows Gung-Fu, but a bit of Jiu-Jitsu mixed-in would have been BOSS.

You can take most enemies with the grapples, but it's better for your thug meter to torture them slowly, juice the most out of them.

I also liked the Dim Wok Bruce Lee homage move.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have terrible reaction skills to counter an attack...

It takes some practice for sure, especially the melee weapon attacks.

And after 25-plus hours I'm still struggling with the big grappling enemies. I never know if the prompt is going to be Y, X or B.

Zeliard

I find the timing to be overly generous, even.

Arkham is overly generous. Sleeping Dogs' countering window is quite small in comparison, but you can get the hang of it.

when they glow red, just mash the counter button. no timing involved.

Mashing? That isn't keeping in the Ong Bak spirit mayne.

I accidentally plowed through a group of civilians at some ludicrous speed during that mission, and she screeched with joy.

My kinda gal.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm going to be honest here, the combat engine isn't as responsive as it should be, but this game was developed at an earlier time, the next Sleeping Dogs installment should be better.

Countering exposes the engine.

You can also do a Robin Shou/Jackie Chan Style wall-jump kick, run towards the wall, then pull the analog back while holding run and pressing punch\kick.

Also, the next game should have separate kick, punch, and grapple buttons. It would so help with stunning a foe.

I'm not saying steal Arkham's button mapping, but STEAL Arkham's button mapping\engine NOW!

25264316.jpg

Also tweak it for Sleeping Dogs.

antitrop

I'm going to be honest here, the combat engine isn't as responsive as it should be, but this game was developed at an earlier time, the next Sleeping Dogs installment should be better.

With an Arkham amount of combat polish this game would have blown my mind. I already love the combat system as is, but it's just... not Arkham even though it kind of wants to be.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, and Skyrim with mods are all great ways to test out what your new hardware is capable of.

Yeah, those were pretty much top of my list. My wife is dying to play Skyrim with mods. We only have the PS3 version right now, and she's beat it a few times, but the bugs killed her buzz.

I think she'll dig The Witcher 2 as well. I rented Max Payne 3 from Gamefly, and enjoyed the little bit I played, but I certainly wouldn't mind picking it up for the PC at some point. Thanks for the suggestions!

antitrop

Yeah, those were pretty much top of my list. My wife is dying to play Skyrim with mods. We only have the PS3 version right now, and she's beat it a few times, but the bugs killed her buzz.

I think she'll dig The Witcher 2 as well. I rented Max Payne 3 from Gamefly, and enjoyed the little bit I played, but I certainly wouldn't mind picking it up for the PC at some point. Thanks for the suggestions!
Witcher 2 absolutely embarrasses Skyrim from a story perspective and if you can max it out with Ubersampling and full AA then it makes the 360 version look like shit.

The Max Payne 3 PC version also runs incredibly well, considering how amazing it looks.

Pandemic

Question, on the map there's green, blue and yellow markers. Which is which? Blue is to do cop-related missions I guess, but is yellow the side-missions, and green are the Triad related missions..? Or vice-versa?

Cheska

I thought Peggy was Lucy Liu?

Haha what the hell.

No, that's Lindsay Price I think.

I actually just finished that Sandra mission and it wasn't that great, though I do like her character. I really liked Not Ping but she hates me now lol. Is there any way for them not to find out about the other girls?

Also, mind blown that Vivi=Lucy Liu. Would never have guessed.

Question, on the map there's green, blue and yellow markers. Which is which? Blue is to do cop-related missions I guess, but is yellow the side-missions, and is green the Triad missions..? Or vice-versa?

Green is the main story missions, blue indicates police missions and yellow are side quests. As you get further you'll get orange ones as well which are for races, martial clubs, gambling, etc.

SMT

With an Arkham amount of combat polish this game would have blown my mind. I already love the combat system as is, but it's just... not Arkham even though it kind of wants to be.

Square-Enix London helped materialize Arkham, I wonder if they are allowed to reuse some elements from Rocksteady.

SRG01

You can also do a Robin Shou/Jackie Chan Style wall-jump kick, run towards the wall, then pull the analog back while holding run and pressing punch\kick.

Also, the next game should have separate kick, punch, and grapple buttons. It would so help with stunning a foe.

I'm not saying steal Arkham's button mapping, but STEAL Arkham's button mapping\engine NOW!

Also tweak it for Sleeping Dogs.

What are you talking about? I hated Arkham City's combat engine but loved Sleeping Dogs. I love how the combat actually flows instead of being stale tap-tap-tap.

Also, like someone previously said, the only similarity is the counter-button and that a lot of it borrows from The Warriors.

Is there a way to get rid of the shaky cam effect while driving on PC? It's giving me a massive headache every time I try to play.

There's shaky cam while driving? I've played PS3/PC and the camera's locked on the vehicle... Are you touching the mouse/r-stick at all?

antitrop

Square-Enix London helped materialize Arkham, I wonder if they are allowed to reuse some elements from Rocksteady.
I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of animation, the Batman games feel far more fluid and precise than Sleeping Dogs does.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sleeping Dogs' combat is fun and great (especially compared to something like GTA4) and I think it sets the standard for open-world combat, but the Arkham games were close to perfection.

SMT

What are you talking about? I hated Arkham City's combat engine but loved Sleeping Dogs. I love how the combat actually flows instead of being stale tap-tap-tap.

Also, like someone previously said, the only similarity is the counter-button and that a lot of it borrows from The Warriors.

I found the combat enticing, it's not to say it isn't without its flaws. To you the flaws may not be so apparent, but I have found them. To each his own, I haven't played or heard of 'The Warriors'. :/

Damn, i got owned by a bus :( . I went into the temple to collect some shrines and i came back out to go to another spot for more. I jumped on my motorcycle and did a quick spin around in the direction i needed to go but....WHAM outta no where a bus just plows into my ass at full speed no less and i go flying across the street and into the temple walls and i died. That is so harsh but hilarious, sigh.

antitrop

I found the combat enticing, it's not to say it isn't without its flaws. To you the flaws may not be so apparent, but I have found them. To each his own, I haven't played or heard of 'The Warriors'. :/
The Warriors was a PS2 game put out by Rockstar in 2005 based on the 70's flick. Pretty decent for the time, here's some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtb_2qin-4&feature=player_detailpage#t=275s

There are definite comparisons to be made between the combat engine of The Warriors and Sleeping Dogs.

SMT

ezekial45

Banned
Weird, I only got one phone call and date with all the girls, and I can't contact them again afterward.

The dates all went fine to me, and I'm not sure how I rubbed them the wrong way. :p

But seriously, Is there more? The posts here talking about the girls interaction continuing is intriguing.

antitrop

This game really just nails so many aspects from some of my favorite movies (Hard Boiled, especially).

Sleeping Dogs is a better "Hard Boiled game" than Stranglehold ever even hoped to be.

SMT

i need a mod for this game to make amanda look like emma stone.
Yeah, you know, I'm sure someone's going to do that, but then again, you only saw her twice, for a few minutes.

Now if someone can mod her so we can take her for a drive whenever we want, like a doll of some kind...

Most PS2 games don't really hold up in 2012. Only the best of the best.

So true, I won't vehemently hold it back.

To me, there was Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster and then Sleeping Dogs.

I haven't played Yakuza yet.

I knew Lucy Liu was in it but didnt recall who until I saw the VA video again. What's neat is that Liu Kang (Robin Shou) are Conroy/Roland.

It blew my mind when I saw the credits, I knew Robin Shou was in there, but I had no idea he was Conroy or Roland. He did a good job, like Lucy.

I'll always remember Robin for his wall-kick in Mortal Kombat, best Liu Kang. I did it a few times in the game, feels good.

Yeah, EatChildren, it's the fluidity (responsiveness) I was going for, maybe it was the polish, but I thought it was the slow engine. Next time it will be better, without a doubt.

In UNITEDFRONT we trust.

EatChildren

The only thing Arkham's combat engine has over Sleeping Dogs is the crazy attention to detail and presentation in animations, especially how animations connect. In terms of how it looks it's about as good as a 3D combat system can look.

Otherwise, as I said earlier in the thread, they're combat systems built on completely different fundamentals. Both aim to provide distinctly different experiences and both have a 'flow' and dynamic independent of the other. Sleeping Dogs is slower and more methodical with each attack, with a greater focus on precise crowd control. Arkham's is fast and floaty, with a very responsive attack system that aims to give you the feeling of an overpowered, unstoppable superhero no matter how many enemies you can face. In Arkham you can counter, punch, dodge, and obliterate enemies without paying much attention to how you move Batman. Sleeping Dogs is the opposite.

I don't think anything other than Arkham's crazy degree of polish has any place in Sleeping Dogs. They share a counter button and that's about it. Even then the method of counters differs between the two.

LiK

This game really just nails so many aspects from some of my favorite movies (Hard Boiled, especially).

Sleeping Dogs is a better "Hard Boiled game" than Stranglehold ever even hoped to be.

so damn true. Stranglehold was fun for what it was but SD really nails the HK crime drama feel with its homages and references. hell, i'm still impressed people speak REAL Cantonese int his game. i wish i could sit next to you guys and tell you what the NPCs are saying when you jack them or hit them. it's all pretty hilarious.

antitrop

The only thing Arkham's combat engine has over Sleeping Dogs is the crazy attention to detail and presentation in animations, especially how animations connect. In terms of how it looks it's about as good as a 3D combat system can look.

Otherwise, as I said earlier in the thread, they're combat systems built on completely different fundamentals. Both aim to provide distinctly different experiences and both have a 'flow' and dynamic independent of the other. Sleeping Dogs is slower and more methodical with each attack, with a greater focus on precise crowd control. Arkham's is fast and floaty, with a very responsive attack system that aims to give you the feeling of an overpowered, unstoppable superhero no matter how many enemies you can face. In Arkham you can counter, punch, dodge, and obliterate enemies without paying much attention to how you move Batman. Sleeping Dogs is the opposite.

I don't think anything other than Arkham's crazy degree of polish has any place in Sleeping Dogs. They share a counter button and that's about it. Even then the method of counters differs between the two.
The polish in the animations of Arkham over SD is mainly what I was talking about.

SRG01

Precisely. I guess I just get annoyed at the constant comparisons between Arkham and SD...

Water apparently makes cops forget you just murdered some other cops. I merely start swimming and the cop meter goes away. Except for when I do it while being chased in a boat by cops that are in a boat, in which case I ride that boat up onto land and then the boat cops keep yelling at me to get down, but they're still way out in the water seemingly unfamiliar with how to dock a boat. Suckers.

kiryogi

Banned
so damn true. Stranglehold was fun for what it was but SD really nails the HK crime drama feel with its homages and references. hell, i'm still impressed people speak REAL Cantonese int his game. i wish i could sit next to you guys and tell you what the NPCs are saying when you jack them or hit them. it's all pretty hilarious.

I must admit at first was I was disappointed it wasn't full on Cantonese, but the end result that we have with the mix is actually even better. I absolutely love it.

SMT

I knew Lucy Liu was in it but didnt recall who until I saw the VA video again. What's neat is that Liu Kang (Robin Shou) are Conroy/Roland.

Water apparently makes cops forget you just murdered some other cops. I merely start swimming and the cop meter goes away. Except for when I do it while being chased in a boat by cops that are in a boat, in which case I ride that boat up onto land and then the boat cops keep yelling at me to get down, but they're still way out in the water seemingly unfamiliar with how to dock a boat. Suckers.

Also, entering your home makes all your naughty deeds go away. I guess there's no house-arrest.

To get me prepared, I watched a few Chow Yun Fat Hong Kong Cinema movies, but Hardboiled wasn't on netflix. :(

Next game I get is Stranglehold.

calder

iuihG0Z3dKzIw.jpg

Grr. When I want to have a couple of cars for a photo shoot they always disappear. When I'm in a hurry I'll crash into a car I abandoned on the road 20 minutes ago in a different mission.

Finished the story, just have some little things left. I bought the Velocita (obviously) and the nice class A bike and wow the races are pretty much too easy now. I struggled on the class B races with my one shitty B car (the awful WRX-ish thing) as everyone outclassed me. Now I win every race first try and usually by so much I can't see any competitors by the half-way point of the race lol. The Velocita is just insane, you barely need to brake and if you do you're back up to stupid-fast in like 4 seconds.

LiK

I must admit at first was I was disappointed it wasn't full on Cantonese, but the end result that we have with the mix is actually even better. I absolutely love it.

one thing i have to say is while it's weird Uncle Po speaks in English entirely, i was glad Mrs. Chu only spoke Cantonese. seems more real to me.

Also, entering your home makes all your naughty deeds go away. I guess there's no house-arrest.

To get me prepared, I watched a few Chow Yun Fat Hong Kong Cinema movies, but Hardboiled wasn't on netflix. :(

Next game I get is Stranglehold.

yea, Stranglehold is a decent shooter. too bad Chow Yun Fat's English is so weak. it causes him to speaks softly which isn't how Tequila sounds in HardBoiled. Should've had an alternate Canto track for Tequila at least.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I just bought a selection of exotic A Class cars, carefully selecting a paint job for each one and now when ever I choose a car from the list, I get the default colours. :^/

Top Bottom