• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

Jimrpg

It also helps that Wei looks like a martial artist. Batman looks like a Gears of War character, and it looks real goofy when he does any kind of kick in Arkham. Batman's counter punches and backhands look awesome though, but there's one animation Batman does where he jumps up and does a split kick and it's the dumbest looking thing ever.

Yeah i think it was an inspired choice to get George St Pierre from UFC to do the mo caps for the moves.... the moves are so freaking bad ass

nOoblet16

I like how everyone picks up the phone instantly and can reply back with long text messages within a second of me sending them a message. When will people be like this in real life?

Jimrpg

one thing i have to say is while it's weird Uncle Po speaks in English entirely, i was glad Mrs. Chu only spoke Cantonese. seems more real to me.

yea, Stranglehold is a decent shooter. too bad Chow Yun Fat's English is so weak. it causes him to speaks softly which isn't how Tequila sounds in HardBoiled. Should've had an alternate Canto track for Tequila at least.

Uncle Po is rather high up on the totem pole and probably does a lot of business and is well educated

Mrs Chu is stuck in a lower class in her kitchen as a cook and probably didn't get the opportunity to learn english

I feel like whoever directed the game got all the details and design choices right.

Orgun

I use a youtube mod with chrome, that has a lot of handy features. One of them is to disable youtube comments from showing up. I'll never go back.

Great video. Why do you need a mod for that? Couldn't you just, you know, not look at the comments. :)

lexi

Banned
Got a great laugh out of this.... I really love this game.

qSCRW.jpg

hMlPe.jpg

haikira

Great video. Why do you need a mod for that? Couldn't you just, you know, not look at the comments. :)

Ah i use the mod for other things. Like having the video start up in a larger mode and with the background darkened. The comments thing is just a random feature i also turned on.

Zaptruder

Banned
Got a great laugh out of this.... I really love this game.

I think the best funny part of the game for me has to be during this one particular mission where you're sent out to take photos of various vistas for some t-shirt designs (I believe it's one of the yellow side missions), and as you get to a location overlooking the ocean on a cliffside, there's a guy just standing around blocking the view.

Of course, he's not there by chance - he's been placed there - and as you try to take the picture, he gets into a 'Kawaii anime' pose, doing the V for victory post, with one knee bent up.

Wei get's all pissed and essentially you're required to punch him - which you do - and sends the guy flying off the cliff - before you're able to take the real picture and complete the mission.

dreamfall

Whoawesome, this game! Finally found that last event in Kennedy Town, and 100%-ed the Single Player stat!

I had a real José González moment post a really heavy mission with Jackie. Bonobo's "Kiara" majestically drifted over the speakers, and I think it was serenity/relief that would
be utterly fleeting. Our last shared moment together before Tong tortured him to nothingness.
Major spoilers!

This game has been nothing short of exhilarating. Here's to taking long boat rides to watch the sunsets and purple skies across Aberdeen's bridges!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game has really impressed me as well. The environment and atmosphere is top notch, the mechanics are tons of fun, and the characters are solid.

One minor complaint I have, though, is the camera placement while driving a vehicle. It just doesn't feel right and I'm annoyed that it cannot be adjusted. The poor camera placement combined with the shaky cam really makes driving feel janky compared to the rest of the game.

I'd like to see some fight arena horde arcade type mode with more interactive elements and Yakuza style object attacks. Probably not gonna happen, but I do hope they do more with the fisticuffs with the DLC, not just clothes and things. Fight club's not enough. And they could always introduce more moves and enemy types. Or whatever. I want more fighting.

LiK

Uncle Po is rather high up on the totem pole and probably does a lot of business and is well educated

Mrs Chu is stuck in a lower class in her kitchen as a cook and probably didn't get the opportunity to learn english

I feel like whoever directed the game got all the details and design choices right.

that may be true but he spoke zero Canto iirc. which still kinda bugged me

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone got a map for all the events? Got one left and no idea where it is exactly.

I'm about 4 hours in and found 5 of the Jade statues just lying around during missions. Will it be a pain getting them all or will I just stumble across the rest?

I went with the bottom melee tree

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm about 4 hours in and found 5 of the Jade statues just lying around during missions. Will it be a pain getting them all or will I just stumble across the rest?

I went with the bottom melee tree

They're all in places that you do missions.

Neiteio

I think the best funny part of the game for me has to be during this one particular mission where you're sent out to take photos of various vistas for some t-shirt designs (I believe it's one of the yellow side missions), and as you get to a location overlooking the ocean on a cliffside, there's a guy just standing around blocking the view.

Of course, he's not there by chance - he's been placed there - and as you try to take the picture, he gets into a 'Kawaii anime' pose, doing the V for victory post, with one knee bent up.

Wei get's all pissed and essentially you're required to punch him - which you do - and sends the guy flying off the cliff - before you're able to take the real picture and complete the mission.
I just did that sidequest. You forgot the funniest part: When you try to take the picture and the NPC is posing all kawaii-like, you hear Wei say "Get out of the way" and the NPC deadpans in reply, "I simply cannot resist having my picture taken." That's when the game prompts you to beat down the asshole, lol. On a side note, the fight with the thugs just prior to that was badass -- I grappled all three of them, one by one, and threw each off the overlook. I then went down the beach and explored under the overpass; there's a series of huts under there but I wasn't sure how to reach them. But I digress.

Another funny bit came from one vendor selling roast duck: "Duck so fresh! Duck so fresh! Duck so fresh other ducks don't know he's gone yet!"

garath

Ha, I didn't have to do that. I just snapped the picture and left. That would have been cool.

AEREC

Great game so far, enjoying the combat and characters/dialogue. But honestly the world feels a bit bland to me so far (much like Mafia 2's).

GTA4 still rains supreme as far as having the most detailed open world game for me.

Ban Puncher

Finished the game a couple of hours ago, just need to mop up on clothing, cars and jobs and everything will be done.

Sleeping Dogs was a blast to play from start to finish. I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

If there is a sequel then in true HK film fashion, anyone who died has to come back as a sibling or cousin with a slightly different name but look and act exactly the same as the original character.

dreamfall

Roughly how long did this take? I'm loving this game at the moment and don't want it to end. (´ー`)

I'm a really, really slow gamer. I think my final play time was around 41 hours? But, I seriously spent some major time just changing outfits, and walking about. The city was too pretty!

I need to complete 11 races still, then get 11 gold stats I'm missing (Overall, Fluid Striker, Handyman, Disarming, Reckless Driver, Hijacker, Wrecker, Racer, Gambler, Completionist, Rogue Cop) and then get the half-a-level I need in Triad.
After that, the only things I may be missing are the remaining appartment decorations but I don't know how I can keep track of them all and how to know I purchased them all.

edit 2h later, all races won, 2 gold stats get so only needing 9 gold stats and my half-level in Triad.

jimi_dini

Even if you miss one: they all (including any collectable, health shrine, camera, etc) will be shown at some point on your map.

LIKE IT SHOULD BE IN ANY OTHER OPEN-WORLD GAME.

Mafia 2, GTA IV, I'm looking at you.

Hell, Rockstar had 4 tries to do it that way and failed every time. GTA:SA missing 1 oyster, 2 horseshoes and 3 tags. "Now look everywhere, good luck
fuck you and btw. buy our guide
". God damnit.

And GTA IV even went a step further. I had a really hard time finding those pigeons, even WITH a guide. And shoot them? Instant 3 stars. Horray for bad game design.

And I love that those collectables are marked as being priority within the graphics engine, which means they don't pop up, when you are 5m away from them - instead you should see them from a mile away. And cameras, lockboxes and health shrines, that you found, will get marked on your map as well, which means at any point you definitely know what you already got. Which means: Good bye guides, hello looking for them by yourself.

IronRinn

Switched from Darksiders 2 to play a bit of this Saturday and haven't stopped. I'm still having a hard time understanding why Activision let this go. Some of the side stuff gets a bit tedious maybe (as they tend to in all open world games, really) but, overall, it's a pretty damn good game.

AEREC

Even if you miss one: they all (including any collectable, health shrine, camera, etc) will be shown at some point on your map.

LIKE IT SHOULD BE IN ANY OTHER OPEN-WORLD GAME.

Why? Whats the point of having hidden collectibles if they show you where they are? I liked GTA4's version where the only clues you were near one was the pigeon sounds.

Why? Whats the point of having hidden collectibles if they show you where they are? I liked GTA4's version where the only clues you were near one was the pigeon sounds.

I agree with you, to an extent. They should at least mark the ones you've already collected. I too see no point in showing me where all the collectibles are.

AEREC

And you managed to get them all in a reasonable amount of time?

Nope...still haven't gotten even half of them, probably never will. I just don't think stuff should be spoon fed to you in games. Finding a Pigeon that barely does anything in GTA4 is far more satisfying than looking at my map to locate/activate a shrine that boosts my health in Sleeping Dogs.

Also stuff like that shouldn't be expected to be done in a reasonable amount of time, GTA4's version gets you to explore the game world and try new things...SD's version doesn't really encourage anything.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
After a bit of grinding challenges last night I finally wrapped the game up completely:

cheevosjaier.png

Loved every bit of the game. I'll be there day 1 for any gameplay DLC or sequel.

joesiv

Yeah, you know, I'm sure someone's going to do that, but then again, you only saw her twice, for a few minutes.

Now if someone can mod her so we can take her for a drive whenever we want, like a doll of some kind...

Might actually be doable if we had access to write scripts, that'd be pretty neat! Give her a call, similar to your car valet, she'll spawn near you, and "follow" you. Similar to how other NPC's will follow you out side the car, then jump into the passenger seat when you enter a car.

calder

Probably been asked and answered, but what's the best way to make money after the main game is over? I just have a couple of expensive cars and some clothes left to buy, but the only thing left to do is the events and they pay for shit. I find hijacking the armoured cars not terribly lucrative either, it's like what 20K per or something?

Oh hell, I think I may have some stolen cars left. Nevermind, I think those pay pretty well - is there a finite number of them like the loan sharking missions?

Probably been asked and answered, but what's the best way to make money after the main game is over? I just have a couple of expensive cars and some clothes left to buy, but the only thing left to do is the events and they pay for shit. I find hijacking the armoured cars not terribly lucrative either, it's like what 20K per or something?

Oh hell, I think I may have some stolen cars left. Nevermind, I think those pay pretty well - is there a finite number of them like the loan sharking missions?

Stolen cars, the later ones, pay like 150K+, sometimes 300K if you don't damage them. Also, the security vans still roam the streets and net you a good amount.

Lima

Yeah there is a finite number of missions for Tran.

You should have something like 4 million after you delivered them all. Enough to buy all the cars and clothes.

Top Bottom