• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

jimi_dini

Nope...still haven't gotten even half of them, probably never will.

See

And why will you never get them all? Because nothing is shown on your map. The pigeons that you already got are not shown. And even if you got 95% of them, you will never be able to know where the last few are. UNLESS you strike them off a fucking guide, which is tedious and shouldn't be needed at all.

Finding a Pigeon that barely does anything in GTA4 is far more satisfying than looking at my map to locate/activate a shrine that boosts my health in Sleeping Dogs.

Uhh, you didn't understand. The collectables aren't shown right from the start. They are shown, if you accomplish certain tasks. Which means you are free to explore (and should do that) during the game. BUT they show them at a later stage of the game to help you finding the last few ones. That's quite helpful for completionists like me. You are obviously not a completionist, so you shouldn't even care about this feature. It also seems that you obviously also have not even played the game at all.

BUT because of this feature I was totally FREE TO EXPLORE the whole game without a fucking guide, BECAUSE I knew, that if I miss a few, it won't matter, BECAUSE I will be able to see their location at a later stage. I mean I tried this in GTA:SA and was then missing a few of this and that and whatever and had to restart the whole fricking game and then use a guide for every single one. Isn't that fun? No, it isn't. Finding every single one is just not possible without a guide, because you don't even know the ones that you got, because you already picked them up. Uh, that's another point. Cameras, lockboxes, health shrines all STAY there, which means even without the map, you would at least know that you opened/hacked/got them already.

Lima

The way they handled the collectables in this game is amazing. It is also the only game in ages that actually gives you some kind of ingame benefits rather than just achievements for collecting them.

Sarcasm

I am for the system..but them showing you ingame is relatively the same as looking at a guide. GTA was just more like...dark souls - tedious and hard (and boring) and if you did it you got bragging rights.

This way is more...like...SR3..everything is handed and is also flashy.

Just my take on it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I second for the dislike of the structure for the pigeons in GTA4. Not having them marked off after you find them was annoying. I used an online guide and remember getting up to about 90 or so then have up, it just wasn't enjoyable. See, in SD, quite a few of them involve a fight, some are hidden well. I didn't know I was going to unlock their location later in the game and had spent a bit of time looking. I probably had over 80% of then prior.

Story complete, all favors complete, all races won, all collectables found, 34 hours. I'll finish up the car deliveries eventually. I probably won't go for the medal achievements as those are a bit grindy and I'm not in the mood for that + I have still yet to touch Darksiders II.

And this game's way of letting you find the collectables >>>>>>>>>>>> GTA's. I've NEVER found all the packages/pigeons/oysters/tags/whatever in GTA games because the process is way too tedious. Give me rewards that encourage going to the back corners of this beautiful map you've built and I'll go. Give me no hints and force me to use a checklist online guide, and I'll hate it.

The Chef

Love this game so far. The combat is soooooo satisfying. Almost exactly like Arkham City.
Driving along and then seeing a red person icon on my map, screeching to a stop and jumping out of my car and then proceeding to grab a surprised gang member and slam their heads against the hood of my car. Soooo freakin bad ass.

bedlamite

Hunting down a bunch of seagulls hidden throughout an entire city with nothing but an audio clue for each of them? Down that path lies madness

jimi_dini said it best. Non-completionists won't care, and for those that do, the collectible map isn't exactly convenient to get into anyway. Instead of layering collectible locations all over your minimap and spoiling the fun, you still have to bring up the map, AND press another button to finally bring collectible locations up. Very good implementation IMO, definitely much better than you going your own way. Collecting shit with a guide in hand is mind-numbing tedium, doing it on your own is, as I said, a sure path to insanity

Hazanko

Banned
Went to the shop to buy this game and it's completely sold out! That's never happened before, even popular games were never sold out. So I've ordered it online and got next day delivery, can't wait.

iNvid02

after losing $200k on cockfights i found these guys, was ready to take my revenge but i couldnt use my gun on the mission

tried to beat them up but they nearly dropped me - dont mess with roosters
KuGsj.gif

wmsdq.jpg

DanielJr82

Finished the game, it was good. I didn't get to unlock all the Triad upgrades, though. I'm half a level shy of getting the last upgrade. I replayed two missions thinking it would get me there, but they only gave me a miniscule amount of Triad XP. At that rate I'd pretty much have to replay every single mission in the game again, forget it.

I did get all the collectibles, races, and most of the events though. Didn't finish Tran and I'm sure there's a few yellow events that I haven't found, but I think it's time to move on. I clocked in 35 fun hours, so I'd say I got my money's worth. =)

GeoramA

This is so fucking good. For an open-world game, it does everything right. UF freaking nailed it.

Voice acting is outstanding as well.

Meier

The thread title is so damn clever.. shame to see the OP was banned. Started it up last night and am having a blast although I think the combat is relatively frustrating since the counters can be a little hit or miss and the opponents seem to have all the advantages. I'm sure once I get a gun or two though it'll be quite different.

Did a few missions on both the police and triad side. Hate that property damage lowers your police score. :( It's absurdly hard to not do some while driving..

antitrop

Did a few missions on both the police and triad side. Hate that property damage lowers your police score. :( It's absurdly hard to not do some while driving..
I noticed that property damage only lowers your police score while actively doing a mission, in-between there seems to be no consequence. You probably figured that out already, but it took me a bit.

UrbanRats

PLayed a bunch of hours.
Damn Ninja radio is fucking ace.

The only thing that is bothering me is the slowness of the face meter, i can't buy shit.
Also i'm not crazy for the handling, but it's not that bad and bikes are pretty good.

Everything else is amazing so far.

calder

Yeah i was always as careful as could be but it's really tough to not get any vehicle damage on most missions. Just go in assuming you'll probably get 2 'shields' for the cop score as 3 will only happen on a few missions where you aren't being chased in a car.

But don't worry too much about the cop XP. I maxed out police level 10 looong before I finished the game. Still only half way through level 9 triad score though, I'm not sure how to be more of a badass than I am now that the missions are all done.

calder

See

Uhh, you didn't understand. The collectables aren't shown right from the start. They are shown, if you accomplish certain tasks. Which means you are free to explore (and should do that) during the game. BUT they show them at a later stage of the game to help you finding the last few ones. That's quite helpful for completionists like me. You are obviously not a completionist, so you shouldn't even care about this feature. It also seems that you obviously also have not even played the game at all.

Completely agree, I also really liked they way they handled it. It totally made getting all the collectibles both not a huge pain and worthwhile as the upgrades/money/xp were a nice bonus. Reminds me of the Infamous games, another game that included some fun little aids to the collecting mini-game.

jimi_dini

Finished the game, it was good. I didn't get to unlock all the Triad upgrades, though. I'm half a level shy of getting the last upgrade. I replayed two missions thinking it would get me there, but they only gave me a miniscule amount of Triad XP. At that rate I'd pretty much have to replay every single mission in the game again, forget it.

replay the missions that you haven't 3 Triad symbols (?) on.

I'm now at 96.57%, damnit.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I never want to go back to a "realism" style open world game against that doesn't have at least this level of combat mechanics. It really makes it so much more satisfying to actually replay missions or randomly explore and be ambushed.

Yes it's not the best combat system ever made, but compared to the clunkiness of so many others in the past, especially the big name titles, it's exactly what I need for any future title no matter how fancy the graphics are or how many jet fighters you can fly.

Grimsen

I love how all of Sleeping Dogs DLC is just "pay for cheats".

It's the most bullshit thing in all of video gaming.

Yeah, so far they're pretty bad.

Even the ''High roller'' pack or something is for stuff you can earn in-game.

The only one that is half decent is the 80's pack. That one I enjoyed quite a bit.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Boosey & Hawkes for life.

nod-of-approval.gif

Even if you miss one: they all (including any collectable, health shrine, camera, etc) will be shown at some point on your map.

LIKE IT SHOULD BE IN ANY OTHER OPEN-WORLD GAME.

Mafia 2, GTA IV, I'm looking at you.

Hell, Rockstar had 4 tries to do it that way and failed every time. GTA:SA missing 1 oyster, 2 horseshoes and 3 tags. "Now look everywhere, good luck
fuck you and btw. buy our guide
". God damnit.

And GTA IV even went a step further. I had a really hard time finding those pigeons, even WITH a guide. And shoot them? Instant 3 stars. Horray for bad game design.

Yes, the developers dressing up for the wanted posters was a nice touch but finding all 159 became tedious. If they ever make a third iteration of Mafia I hope they take notes from SD. Obtaining the poster on the roof was fun though.

Don't forget that GTAIV was released four years ago, and United Front used Rockstar's innovations as a baseline for United's own innovation.

Cheska

Story done, but I'm no where near ready to say good bye to Hong Kong yet. I love when you go into a game with no expectations, especially when it wasn't on your radar and then it turns out to be one of your favorite games of the year.

T.O.P

Banned
that's the only place :O

yeah i was looking at the DLC in Properties but i just needed to search for it directly on the market

now, i donnow if it's just me or what, game runs smooth as hell everything maxed, but i'm noticing some weird white auras around the characters model, especially during cutscenes...not much of a pain because in the city goes pratically unnoticed, still is there anything i can do to fix it?

Seronei

Does anyone know if you can replay the police investigations? I tried looking but didn't see them anywhere.

yeah i was looking at the DLC in Properties but i just needed to search for it directly on the market

now, i donnow if it's just me or what, game runs smooth as hell everything maxed, but i'm noticing some weird white auras around the characters model, especially during cutscenes...not much of a pain because in the city goes pratically unnoticed, still is there anything i can do to fix it?

Has to do with the Anti-Aliasing you might want to turn it down and see if it fixes it.

foxdvd

I have a question...probably an obvious answer..

I am almost done with the game, all I have left is two missions and the races...do the race markers disappear after you finish a race? How do you know which races you have done? I ask because I have only done 3 races, but I recently went to one thinking I had already done it, but there was nothing I could see if I had...and sure enough after the race I did not get credit for finishing another race...

bitoriginal

I have a question...probably an obvious answer..

I am almost done with the game, all I have left is two missions and the races...do the race markers disappear after you finish a race? How do you know which races you have done? I ask because I have only done 3 races, but I recently went to one thinking I had already done it, but there was nothing I could see if I had...and sure enough after the race I did not get credit for finishing another race...

They dissapear once you've done them. Also, you need to buy cars to access the different races, you need to buy a class C, B, and A car for the markers to appear on your map. Sorry if you already knew that.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I really like about this game is how you can just turn it on and just do some random shit for 30 minutes for a quick laugh and do some of those side missions in the process. I really do love this game, I think it's one of the best open sandboxes ever done. It just feels so right.

Top Bottom