• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

antitrop

One thing I really like about this game is how you can just turn it on and just do some random shit for 30 minutes for a quick laugh and do some of those side missions in the process. I really do love this game, I think it's one of the best open sandboxes ever done. It just feels so right.
I think the world is very well designed and feels "full" and interesting to explore. Lot's of people everywhere and plenty to see and do.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Major perverted Spoilers VIVI:
So during the mission where I have to bug Vivi's place, I decided to see what all the fuss was about when she was stepping in the shower. To my surprise the steam was preventing me from seeing anything. I was disappointed.

Major perverted Spoilers RANDOM EVENT:
As I was making my way down the highway driving worse than my other Asian counterparts, and setting the highway ablaze (not from sheer speed, but rather the amount of vehicle explosions I kept causing), I came across a yellow shield event, so I decided to check what was happening. Upon first glance there was an abandoned car in front of a gated a community; I kept hearing bonks, thus, I decided to check the trunk of the car... And out pops a female NPC dressed in revealing lingerie, asking my character who he was and where her husband was located. After a brief awkward moment, Wei reassured her that she was fine, but she obviously knew that, and then ran-away looking for her husband leaving Wei perplexed. Rich people kinky.

TDLR; the woman was parodying an incident that happened in Canada a few years back, where a 17 year-old girl and her 20 something boyfriend were roleplaying a kidnapping to make their sex-lives better. To make matters more interesting the girl called the cops and told them there was someone in her house. The police later found the girl in her boyfriend's car, naked, and telling them that they were only roleplaying and that the phone call to the police was just part of the deal.

The more you know.

iNvid02

this game continues to amuse me

4ZeV8.jpg

still cant post screenshots so i'm just making gifs - all come out in slow-mo though, so im guessing the game is conflicting with msi afterburner's capture utility

also the 305.67 drivers coupled with the 0x0C4010F5 SLI bit gave me much better performance than older drivers with nvidia's own SLI profile.

ibcJ2NenXRWhiP.gif

15 hours in and loving every minute

So amazing they put some great music in here (I already own every track on the ninja tune station and warp records station already!) people need to know names like Autechre, Hudson Mohawke, Two Fingers, Flying Lotus and Emika.

so good

As mentioned I been playing this game on PS3 and having a good time.

Got a chance to play it on PC.

I don't want to play it on PS3 anymore ;_;

Jimrpg

Nope...still haven't gotten even half of them, probably never will. I just don't think stuff should be spoon fed to you in games. Finding a Pigeon that barely does anything in GTA4 is far more satisfying than looking at my map to locate/activate a shrine that boosts my health in Sleeping Dogs.

Also stuff like that shouldn't be expected to be done in a reasonable amount of time, GTA4's version gets you to explore the game world and try new things...SD's version doesn't really encourage anything.

thats why the collectibles are on a second map page - you don't ever have to press the button to know where they are if you don't want to... you can play it either way

Dilly

Banned
Huh, I'm pretty sure I just saw an old man get a heart attack on the streets. Paramedics came to revive him with defibrillators but he died.

I don't think he got hit by something, because he dropped on his knees while holding his chest.

KePoW

Banned
Huh, I'm pretty sure I just saw an old man get a heart attack on the streets. Paramedics came to revive him with defibrillators but he died.

I don't think he got hit by something, because he dropped on his knees while holding his chest.

Haha that's awesome

lucius

What do the different color missions mean, I guess Blue means Police I think, but I have seen Orange and Green, which ones are main story?

geestack

What do the different color missions mean, I guess Blue means Police I think, but I have seen Orange and Green, which ones are main story?

Green are main story, Orange are side things, like fight clubs and street races. Yellow are favors/sidequests, and yeah, blue is police quests.

Replaying this game is amazing, so much fun, even without all the upgrades available at the start.

jimi_dini

Ladies and Gentleman

freaking platinum done :p

I guess I will now download the limited edition DLC. It's supposed to contain an extra mission.

Now that I got all achievements, I tried the Red Envelopes DLC pack...
Got 19 out of 20 envelopes, and every single one of those were placed right besides
parking garages
...and because I can only find 19
parking garages
on the map, I don't know yet where the 20th envelope is ^^

There's something terribly wrong about turning on the classical station, hearing the circus music song, and then just plowing through a crowd of people.

SJRB

Gold Member
Where can I find a grey suit?

The one without a tie, I mean. I found the pants, but not the torso part.

Same goes for the dark brown suit, by the way. Assuming those even exist? It kind of annoys me that the different stores all sell a piece of some collection. I hate driving all over town to find that one store that may or may not sell that one item.

It would've been mighty helpful if the map hud indicated what brand of store it is when you hover over it.

Astral

I just tried the demo. I really wanna play it just to explore the game world. That small festival where the demo starts you off was really nice. I liked the ambient music and the chatter going on among the citizens. It's too bad there was no driving segment in the demo. That's what I really wanted to try out. There's one thing I'm worried about though. How's the game replay value? Is it still worth playing once you beat it? I got bored of GTAIV soon after I beat the story.

T.O.P

Banned
seriously having a blast here, the city is gorgeous, the fighting mechanics are awesome (thank god they didn't hold back with the gore), driving has that arcade feeling that i fuckin love and Shen is hot as fuck

and i can't stop playing, something that hasn't happened to me in a long time <3

being a HK's movies maniac surely helps a lot lol

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have a question:

Is there a lot of spoken Cantonese in the game? My wife is from Hong Kong, and I would love it if there was a lot of people speaking in her native language. Can you change the spoken language to Cantonese in any of the versions?

antitrop

I have a question:

Is there a lot of spoken Cantonese in the game? My wife is from Hong Kong, and I would love it if there was a lot of people speaking in her native language. Can you change the spoken language to Cantonese in any of the versions?
No, there is not an option to change the spoken language, but much of the cutscene dialogue is english with random cantonese words thrown in (usually swear words, or an important word repeated in cantonese after being spoken in english). Lots of people on the streets speak cantonese.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I have a question:

You can put Cantonese subtitles, most of the dialogue is in Cantonese.

DukeBobby

I am absolutely loving this game. I'm about 2/3 the way through the main story, and if it maintains the same level of quality through to the end, this will go down as one of my favourite games of the generation. Dodgy camera issues aside, I honestly cannot think of any flaws this game has. Simply superb.

Jimrpg

I have a question:

Its mostly english with some cantonese thrown in here and there to keep it 'authentic'

but it works well. I like it - this is coming from someone who wanted a cantonese dub when before the game came out.

there's subtitles for the cantonese if you don't understand.

My mind is blown by the voice acting... is this just about the best voice acting u can get in a game? I don't play many games so I wouldn't know - but Sandra and Vivi's voice acting is absolutely outstanding.

I have now beaten the game twice and I still want more...

I wish there was a newgame+ option with beefed up enemies as the core game is just a blast to play, especially once you have the entire move set, that you're left wanting to spend more time as Wei in that world.

And though it may be a matter of semantics to some, I would argue that this is less a GTA clone as it is a Red Dead Redemption clone, one is satire the other is a love letter.

SeriousApes

I just picked this game up today. It's pretty awesome so far. I had to go with the PS3 version, but I think it looks amazing. I had a laugh when listening to the radio and I heard a travel ad to visit Panau.

My mind is blown by the voice acting... is this just about the best voice acting u can get in a game? I don't play many games so I wouldn't know - but Sandra and Vivi's voice acting is absolutely outstanding.

Omg yes. Seriously the voice actors in this game for all the main characters are amazing. The face missions/sidequests/some misc. npcs are ok, but Wei, Vivi, Sandra, Winston, Pendrew, Raymond, etc are alllll so good.

I haven't heard voice acting so good since Red Dead Redemption =)

Ken

Finished the game at 13 hours. Liked the ending.
I want more to the story but I don't really think they could go anywhere else as interesting with Wei Shen. Would settle for a new protagonist though.

Dennis

Banned
Enough with the screens dude.
Why dont you answer my question? :p

I am not really sure I understand.

I don't think I have FXAA disabled so if my screenshots are less blurry than others it must be a combination of 1600p being downsampled to 1050p combined with maximum quality JPEG settings.

I capture the screenshots with FRAPS as BMPs and then convert to JPGs.

1. Steal car.
2. Drive in front of taxi.
3. Get out of car.
4. Hire taxi.

Fixed version:

1. Steal car.
3. Get out of car.
4. Hold Y to Hire Taxi.
5. Somehow the Y button wasn't held down for some reason, even though you did, and you end up hi-jacking the Taxi.

Repeat 1-4 until success. Usually takes me 2-3 tries to do it successfully.

SMT

I just picked this game up today. It's pretty awesome so far. I had to go with the PS3 version, but I think it looks amazing. I had a laugh when listening to the radio and I heard a travel ad to visit Panau.

They both exist in the same universe. Crossover!

Disappointing demo. No driving? Meh.

Just buy the game, thank me later.

Ken

Fixed version:

1. Steal car.
3. Get out of car.
4. Hold Y to Hire Taxi.
5. Somehow the Y button wasn't held down for some reason, even though you did, and you end up hi-jacking the Taxi.

Repeat 1-4 until success. Usually takes me 2-3 tries to do it successfully.

I don't get why games can't use a different button to hire taxis. I remember having the same problem in GTA and Red Dead. :(

Top Bottom