• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

I managed to call my Valet and subsequently push him to the passenger seat of my car. Now we're zipping around HK trying to get Max Speed award. :D

This game is so fucking rad.

calder

Fixed version:

1. Steal car.
2. Drive in front of taxi.
3. Get out of car.
4. Hold Y to Hire Taxi.
5. Somehow the Y button wasn't held down for some reason, even though you did, and you end up hi-jacking the Taxi.

Repeat 1-4 until success. Usually takes me 2-3 tries to do it successfully.
Lol I always press right up against the taxi's door and stop moving for a second. Only way to be sure.

Derrick01

Banned
Finally grinded out those last 3 gold medals. One of the few steam games I have all the achievements for.

I should rent it for ps3 now to get an easy platinum!

About 2 hours in. Really loving it so far.

Only issue I'm having is that I keep trying to get into cars from the wrong side, lol (and driving on the wrong side of the road for that matter).

lexi

Banned
Finally grinded out those last 3 gold medals. One of the few steam games I have all the achievements for.

I should rent it for ps3 now to get an easy platinum!

It's looking like I'll 100% the game too, not something I do very often at all, last game I did it for was RE4.

GAF hype served me well on this game, I hadn't even heard of it a few weeks ago.

I am really interested in this game, but I'm wondering...

...How's the gameplay outside of the main story elements? The videos I've seen have reminded me of a mix of Deus Ex, Shenmue and GTA, but what's the side stuff like?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Goddamn DLC. I don't need money I own everything in the game. Gimme missions!

Goddamn DLC. I don't need money I own everything in the game. Gimme missions!

Yep. Same here.

What I'm bummed about is that they had one of those bullshit retailer exclusive missions accidentally unlocked and they patched it out before I got to mess with it, apparently it was a marital arts club but with an endless wave of enemies

This might sound dumb, but how do I walk? Playing on the PC with a controller and he just keeps running, even if I slightly tilt the joystick.

Jimrpg

I am really interested in this game, but I'm wondering...

...How's the gameplay outside of the main story elements? The videos I've seen have reminded me of a mix of Deus Ex, Shenmue and GTA, but what's the side stuff like?

I found them really fun - but i did a lot of side quests just to stop myself from finishing the main story too quickly... the races are good for practising driving and riding bikes... in the fight clubs you fight a series of rounds which progressively get more difficult with more enemies in each round... the hand to hand combat engine is one of the best parts of the game and hasn't got old for me yet. The drug busts are awesome too and these are slightly different to the fight clubs as the baddies use weapons like knives and crowbars. All the collectibles give you something tangible like cash or a bit of health or melee upgrades. And you can unlock where the collectibles on your map so you don't have to go scouring every corner for the last lockbox. There's lots of random things that happen as well, jobs you can do like collect cars for people. In short most of the stuff is 'worth doing' and not just for completionist sake.

The only issue i have with the whole game is that the mastermind guessing pin number game gets old after a while as do the cracking the code on the lockboxes.

Cloudy

Banned
So I started over on the 360 version today. I'd played 9 hours on the ps3 version not knowing I had to hold for a strong strike and that you can counter when enemies flash red. Dunno how I missed this the first time around but it might have been the text size. Seems better on 360. This game needs a manual though lol

PS: Game looks quite a bit better on xbox

Jimrpg

I have now beaten the game twice and I still want more...

I wish there was a newgame+ option with beefed up enemies as the core game is just a blast to play, especially once you have the entire move set, that you're left wanting to spend more time as Wei in that world.

And though it may be a matter of semantics to some, I would argue that this is less a GTA clone as it is a Red Dead Redemption clone, one is satire the other is a love letter.

I really hope they patch newgame+ option in

ALso I find it interesting that Yakuza uses a item health system where you can stock up on health items and use them anytime in fights

but in Sleeping Dogs you have to rely on working up your face meter...

I think this leads to more intense fights with SD because you can't just rely on stocking up tons of health items

Derrick01

Banned
It's looking like I'll 100% the game too, not something I do very often at all, last game I did it for was RE4.

GAF hype served me well on this game, I hadn't even heard of it a few weeks ago.

It's a pretty easy achievement list too but it's fun and involves doing everything the game offers. Those are the best achievements.

Amagon

Yep. Same here.

What I'm bummed about is that they had one of those bullshit retailer exclusive missions accidentally unlocked and they patched it out before I got to mess with it, apparently it was a marital arts club but with an endless wave of enemies
I was wondering why that mission pack was available in my game. It was fun while it lasted.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Yep. Same here.

The one beside the docks and cockfighting arena? Good thing I haven't updated my game yet.

Derrick01

Banned
Yep. Same here.

Yeah I have that, there's also a mission where you're riding passenger on the highway and you have to gun down seemingly a billion triad bikes coming after you. The melee fight club is much more fun since it gives you a chance to really work the combat. But there's no environment kills during it.

I managed to get to 51 kills before they all started carrying knives and got a lot more aggressive.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
One thing that bugs me is was this the same story for the original female protagonist? because in few parts of the game it kinda feel like it was for a female character.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This game is like crack to me. I want to play this game for a whole week straight. Wei is such a dynamic awesome protagonist. When he tells someone to F-off he means it.

lexi

Banned
This game is like crack to me. I want to play this game for a whole week straight. Wei is such a dynamic awesome protagonist. When he tells someone to F-off he means it.

I giggle whenever Wei threatens someone...

'Sun on yee motherfucker!'

Best protagonist ever.

Just finished it, end credits are rolling now. Hell of a game, hell of a game. Probably my biggest, most pleasant surprise of the year. Hats off to United Front.

KissVibes

Banned
I hope this is alright to mention but I'm streaming the PlayStation 3 version of Sleeping Dogs over on twitch if any of you are on the fence about the game or just the PS3 version. Despite some low detailed items in the distance it's a pretty good version of the game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm going to get an extra copy of the game during the Steam Holiday Sale, I bought the PS3 version at full retail price. I LOVE IT.

We should have a trading thread, like last year.

LiK

Kiryu?!

2012-08-21_00028.jpg

Karak

I hope this is alright to mention but I'm streaming the PlayStation 3 version of Sleeping Dogs over on twitch if any of you are on the fence about the game or just the PS3 version. Despite some low detailed items in the distance it's a pretty good version of the game.

Nothing wrong with that. Even saying its the worst of all the versions doesn't mean its a bad game or unplayable or anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where do you go to replay missions? Just finished the game and still only a level 9 Triad. =(

Open your social hub and go to the mission list.

Note that you cant grind for Triad points. All you can do is attempt to get the highest possible Triad ranking in a mission to earn those missed points. If you've already got max on a mission you can't grind for more.

Which sucks, as I can't be arsed going through missions all over again trying to max out Triad points, yet am only 1/3rd of a way left to level 10.

bedlamite

The dates were merely gameplay devices to unlock collectible locations. The thing about SD's game design is that everything is wound together extremely tightly. Dates, collectibles all serve a purpose, map design is small but extremely dense, etc. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't have minded a little more fat in the game.

leng jai

oh yea. i have to find that password.

not ping. I do not get whats so great about Amanda.

She's butt ugly but voiced by Emma Stone...

It's surprising how Sleeping Dogs manages to maintain its level of quality. I keep expecting the graphics/mission to diminish but I'm up to 70% completion and still being consistently impressed.

Top Bottom