• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Man I would kill for a pichu dlc. Just make him a lot stronger than pickahu

I'd be cool with it. And it'd make sense; if the "hurting himself" mechanic came from Pichu using too much electricity in each shock, it'd probably mean it's releasing more power in the process. Just keep it's feathery lightness and i'd love to see it return!

RomanceDawn

Oh, and RomanceDawn, I'm totally with you on more DK reps, but you gotta share that awesome DK/One Piece Miiverse drawing you did! Maybe we can start a campaign to get more non-DK Island Swing songs, too...

Oh I almost forgot! Yes please like and spread the goodness! Oh and I'll be sure to campaign for more DK music as well! There are a few perfect trophies I use as well.

"Let's complete the DK Crew! Vote Dixie and K Rool!"

zlCfzTRgF14Rx7WGZP
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjuaNoDvQ

Zubz

Banned
So if Isaac makes it into the game, are we gonna have a Bison/Vega/Balrog situation? What pseudonyms should we use then?

Probably? I mean, at least it's only 2 characters, and each has a name that isn't "Robin" between English and Japanese speaking regions. Maybe the professional scene will just call the Golden Sun Robin either "Isaac" or "Psynergy" and call the Fire Emblem Robin either "Reflet" or "Tactician/Avatar?"

What's funnier is it's probably the most accurate stage in relation to it's source material in Smash 64.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...f_Time).png/revision/latest?cb=20100514234758

I think his issue was with the skybox, that it was facing the wrong direction and was at the wrong time with the sun in the wrong place, if I read the interview correctly.

Anyway, Splatoon Direct coming up. What a nice time to announce Splatoon Mii hats.

So if Isaac makes it into the game, are we gonna have a Bison/Vega/Balrog situation? What pseudonyms should we use then?

Robin and Reflet, there's no Roy situation for Isaac and Robin in Japan because Robin isn't called Robin.

woopWOOP

Give Pichu a stronger forward smash, but make him useless in everything else. Very short B spark, dizzy after hitting itself with thunder, etc. Weak joke characters are the best. Also they should give him a pink headband while they're at it.
What's funnier is it's probably the most accurate stage in relation to it's source material in Smash 64.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...f_Time).png/revision/latest?cb=20100514234758
Oh wow. I never really recognised the top of the castle so I figured he pulled the design out of his ass like most of the others. Funny that it's actually very similar to it's OoT model.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think his issue was with the skybox, that it was facing the wrong direction and was at the wrong time with the sun in the wrong place, if I read the interview correctly.
If it's just the background that is annoying him, I'm sure he could get someone to edit the original texture if they're going to do a straight port.

FghUAS8.png

We don't really know what is behind the castle since it's at the edge of OoT's map, so most of it can stay as is. I think it's the fact Death Mountain should technically be a bit further to the right. Colouring might need touching up to fix the sun problem. Sky should be bluer I guess.

Speaking of fixing old stage issues, why has Sector Z been the only stage in the entire series to be remade with better graphics?

Redoing old stages with newer art styles and changing them slightly seems like something they would do, but they haven't yet.

Speaking of fixing old stage issues, why has Sector Z been the only stage in the entire series to be remade with better graphics?

Redoing old stages with newer art styles and changing them slightly seems like something they would do, but they haven't yet.

Actually this is the best way to get lots of 64 stages back. The layouts are awesome, but the graphics would be so jarring (especially the backgrounds). Saffron City would benefit so much from an updated background, some new Pokémon models, and some detail added to the textures of the stage. A straight port would be kinda hard to swallow next to all the newer stages. Kongo Jungle looked fine, but I'm not really sure why it not being touched up didn't seem off to me. Maybe cause its a really dark and simple stage.

JCX

I like Smash 4, but I don't want it to be a SF2 of sorts, partially because 3DS prevents Wii U from using some characters. My hope is Melee as an early VC game for the next Nintendo console, with Smash 5 coming in year 2 or 3.

Actually this is the best way to get lots of 64 stages back. The layouts are awesome, but the graphics would be so jarring (especially the backgrounds). Saffron City would benefit so much from an updated background, some new Pokémon models, and some detail added to the textures of the stage. A straight port would be kinda hard to swallow next to all the newer stages. Kongo Jungle looked fine, but I'm not really sure why it not being touched up didn't seem off to me. Maybe cause its a really dark and simple stage.

I agree. I would love to have classic 64 stages back that are updated to match visuals in Smash 4. However, I would take them back even without any updates.

Kongo Jungle's Skybox being dark works in its favor. The 64 sky boxes were super blurry, very low res, and abstract. Nobody cares the neckies in the back are really low res 2D sprite either, because they're dark.

It also matches the art style of the SNES DK's pretty much exactly, making it feel more authentic than the other 64 maps (except Sector Z, which has a lot of the same graphical advantages Kongo Jungle has)

Peltz

I kind of liked the low res textures on that stage in Smash 4. I don't think I'd mind blurry textures on other N64 stages.

Nevertheless, bringing back Fountain of Dreams from SSBM should really be their top priority (in my humble opinion). It's possibly my favorite stage in the whole series.

I made a poll on GameFAQs for everyone's most wanted third party character. I used the 10 that I believe were most talked about (pre-ryu). I also made it so it's only one vote per IP and username. These are the results so far after 112 votes:

Banjo-Kazooie (2nd)
16.96% (19 votes)

Bayonetta (10th)
2.68% (3 votes)

Bomberman (5th)
10.71% (12 votes)

Phoenix Wright (4th)
11.61% (13 votes)

Professor Layton (9th)
3.57% (4 votes)

Rayman (6th)
5.36% (6 votes)

Simon Belmont (3rd)
12.5% (14 votes)

Shantae (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Shovel Knight (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Snake (1st)
27.68% (31 votes)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
it_s_not_zelda__it_s_link____by_amazingartistyellow-d8p89wf.gif

Since we didn't get Corneria for Wii U version so only way we would get Corneria-like stage is Sector Z, so we will see.

Since we didn't get Corneria for Wii U version so only way we would get Corneria-like stage is Sector Z, so we will see.

Sector Z being so huge is perfect for 8 player as well.

Loads of 64, 643D, Assault, Command and SNES music they can rip too.

It's be nice to get the Star Wolf/Sector Z remix on the stage though, along with Venom, so I hope they don't stick to keeping music to one stage with DLC.

MagnesD3

I made a poll on GameFAQs for everyone's most wanted third party character. I used the 10 that I believe were most talked about (pre-ryu). I also made it so it's only one vote per IP and username. These are the results so far after 112 votes:

Banjo-Kazooie (2nd)
16.96% (19 votes)

Bayonetta (10th)
2.68% (3 votes)

Bomberman (5th)
10.71% (12 votes)

Phoenix Wright (4th)
11.61% (13 votes)

Professor Layton (9th)
3.57% (4 votes)

Rayman (6th)
5.36% (6 votes)

Simon Belmont (3rd)
12.5% (14 votes)

Shantae (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Shovel Knight (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Snake (1st)
27.68% (31 votes)
A vet and banjo Kazooie leading seems accurate

Arkeband

Banned
You know who else gives me Mega Man Zero vibes? Mega Man, because if you recall they're actually both one and the same.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...

"Megaman" Zero himself was reconstructed from the remains of Zero from the X series.
X was reconstructed from Megaman.
Zero is fan-theoried to be constructed from Bass or even pieces of Protoman.

In Mega Man Zero, you actually fight what's become of X at one point, so they're two separate entities. The reason the game is called Megaman Zero is because of branding.

"Megaman" Zero himself was reconstructed from the remains of Zero from the X series.

In Mega Man Zero, you actually fight what's become of X at one point, so they're two separate entities. The reason the game is called Megaman Zero is because of branding.

Read the link, lol. It's a joke from pre-release SmashGAF.

Ironically, while you couldn't have known that a pre-release SmashGAF joke was being referenced, your entire post is still incorrect lore-wise. MMZ-era Zero wasn't "reconstructed" from MMX-era Zero; in the MMZ series, you're playing as
the real Zero's soul in a copy body, while Zero's original body has become Omega, who was responsible for doing a lot of bad stuff before the Zero series starts and is the final boss of Mega Man Zero 3
. I guess I can see how you could get "reconstruction" from that... maybe... but it's still not really accurate.

But where you're really off-base is the idea that X has anything to do with Mega Man other than being his successor. X and Mega Man are two completely separate entities. X was not built from Mega Man's parts and he isn't the original Mega Man with tons of upgrades and a wiped memory. These are common misconceptions. X and Mega Man are two completely, totally, utterly separate characters.

Zero is not constructed from Bass, pieces of Proto Man, or anyone else. Zero is Zero. No official word has been given on what has happened to the Classic series characters by the time the X series starts; Inafune has only confirmed that Zero didn't kill them and that none of the X series characters are upgraded versions of or built from classic characters.

Finally, you never fight "what has become of X" at any point in the Zero series. Ever. You fight Copy X, an imperfect replica of X that Ciel built to lead Neo Arcadia in the real X's absence. As for what has become of X in the Zero series,
he used his body to seal the Dark Elf and basically became a digital Jesus-like entity who acts as Zero's guide/mentor/advisor and provides digital Jesus support in Zero's fight against the Dr. Weil, Omega, and the Dark Elf.

I will concede that Copy X was originally the real X in an abandoned story concept for the first Zero game, but that's as far as that ever went (thankfully).

Sorry, I'm a huge Mega Man fan and lore nerd. It's basically impossible for me not to correct Mega Man lore mistakes when I see them. No offense intended. :p

A vet and banjo Kazooie leading seems accurate

A lot of people aren't voting for Wolf because they think he's getting in anyway. Who else is left? Snake? I don't know why people keep referring to "Banjo-Kazooie" (which isn't even the name of the character) as third party. Microsoft is not third party.

Banjo-Kazooie (2nd)
16.96% (19 votes)

Bayonetta (10th)
2.68% (3 votes)

Bomberman (5th)
10.71% (12 votes)

Phoenix Wright (4th)
11.61% (13 votes)

Professor Layton (9th)
3.57% (4 votes)

Rayman (6th)
5.36% (6 votes)

Simon Belmont (3rd)
12.5% (14 votes)

Shantae (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Shovel Knight (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Snake (1st)
27.68% (31 votes)

Why is queen Bayonetta 10th? That is ridiculous!

Azure J

I can't believe we're doing this again. :lol

So who's starting the campaign for Yooka-Laylee in Smash?

Right after notMegaman from Mighty No. 9 I guess.

Ironically, while you couldn't have known that a pre-release SmashGAF joke was being referenced, your entire post is still incorrect lore-wise. MMZ-era Zero wasn't "reconstructed" from MMX-era Zero; in the MMZ series, you're playing as
the real Zero's soul in a copy body, while Zero's original body has become Omega, who was responsible for doing a lot of bad stuff before the Zero series starts and is the final boss of Mega Man Zero 3
. I guess I can see how you could get "reconstruction" from that... maybe... but it's still not really accurate.

But where you're really off-base is the idea that X has anything to do with Mega Man other than being his successor. X and Mega Man are two completely separate entities. X was not built from Mega Man's parts and he isn't the original Mega Man with tons of upgrades and a wiped memory. These are common misconceptions. X and Mega Man are two completely, totally, utterly separate characters.

Zero is not constructed from Bass, pieces of Proto Man, or anyone else. Zero is Zero. No official word has been given on what has happened to the Classic series characters by the time the X series starts; Inafune has only confirmed that Zero didn't kill them and that none of the X series characters are upgraded versions of or built from classic characters.

Finally, you never fight "what has become of X" at any point in the Zero series. Ever. You fight Copy X, an imperfect replica of X that Ciel built to lead Neo Arcadia in the real X's absence. As for what has become of X in the Zero series,
he used his body to seal the Dark Elf and basically became a digital Jesus-like entity who acts as Zero's guide/mentor/advisor and provides digital Jesus support in Zero's fight against the Dr. Weil, Omega, and the Dark Elf.

I will concede that Copy X was originally the real X in an abandoned story concept for the first Zero game, but that's as far as that ever went (thankfully).

Sorry, I'm a huge Mega Man fan and lore nerd. It's basically impossible for me not to correct Mega Man lore mistakes when I see them. No offense intended. :p

THANK GOODNESS.

SHIT I was going to nerd rage to hell and back...

People still think X and Mega Man are the same being? How did people get to the idea Zero is made from Protoman or Bass? In Mega Man power battle Zero is revealed and Wiley threatens Bass with the creation of Zero. This also happened again in Mega Man and Bass (Mega Man 9, before the recent actual Mega Man 9)

Arkeband

Banned
I went through the wiki on Zero and realized I had never played Zero 3 or 4, which is where they pull all this plot-twist stuff.

As of X5 and Zero 1 and 2 my 10+-year old memory of the original trajectory is still pretty much correct though it seems the originals -> X plot has been clarified to not involve re-using robots. (Throughout the X series, when the Internet was young, this was pretty much the accepted hypothesis.)

And now I'm the shittiest lore nerd in the thread. /wrist

Bass's chest crystal's still in Zero's helmet. #jetfuel

Crayolan

Banjo-Kazooie (2nd)
16.96% (19 votes)

Bayonetta (10th)
2.68% (3 votes)

Bomberman (5th)
10.71% (12 votes)

Phoenix Wright (4th)
11.61% (13 votes)

Professor Layton (9th)
3.57% (4 votes)

Rayman (6th)
5.36% (6 votes)

Simon Belmont (3rd)
12.5% (14 votes)

Shantae (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Shovel Knight (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Snake (1st)
27.68% (31 votes)

I think it says something when not a single character voted for is actually a Nintendo character.

actually believe it or not not only is mega man zero actually mega man but he's also mega man x's worst enemy: Weta Man, who attacks with cake analogies and is a Takamaru/Paper Mario supporter.

Finally someone is talking about this and others are responding!

This game's development just keeps going and going and going, like a big pink rabbit. I mean for goodness sakes the poll ends this October. Isn't that almost a full year after the initial release of the Wii U version?

So much work went into this game and with the install base as low as it is the game isn't going to ever see it's full potential in players. Well the Wii U version anyway. Next Nintendo gen can't be more than 2 or 3 years away and that is just too soon for development to start from scratch again. Now the transition from Smash 64 to Melee wasn't that long but that was a different time and a different world, things are not working like that again.

I think it's in everyone's best interest(players and Nintendo) to rerelease this on the NX as a launch title with all the bells and whistles. All DLC, brand new characters, stages and a few modes. Fine tune things a little more and I feel like that would satisfy casual Smash fans and players like me who want to get good at this game for years to come without having to switch over to an entirely new system of play within the next 3 or 4 years.

I mean with all this DLC at what point will they say enough is enough and take a break before the next inevitable Smash? The answer is that they won't. Doesn't matter if that Job listing for Smash 6 was intended to look like it's all for DLC, it's clear to me everything we have now will be upgraded into some super addition ready for the launch of the first NX device or very soon after it's release.

And you know what else? When the GameCube underperformed wasn't it obvious Nintendo was trying make sure all those games got a second life with the New Play Control series? I certainly hated it because I had both Pikmin titles and Mario Power Tennis but I think the same applies here. Nintendo is going it make sure all that initial Smash development is played by the masses!
The way I see it is keep releasing costumes (hopefully more than just Miis) stages, and characters every couple months then combine them all for the next portable/home systems. Then after that, keep releasing more DLC for next systems. I hope the DLC just keeps going forever even into porting the game to the next systems and so on. Would be the best way to do it. Continiously add to the roster across generations. I am ready to buy all DLC available. I don't want any huge break between characters like we have with 64-Melee-Brawl-4.

Zubz

Banned

Banjo-Kazooie (2nd)
16.96% (19 votes)

Bayonetta (10th)
2.68% (3 votes)

Bomberman (5th)
10.71% (12 votes)

Phoenix Wright (4th)
11.61% (13 votes)

Professor Layton (9th)
3.57% (4 votes)

Rayman (6th)
5.36% (6 votes)

Simon Belmont (3rd)
12.5% (14 votes)

Shantae (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Shovel Knight (7th)
4.46% (5 votes)

Snake (1st)
27.68% (31 votes)

I'm so glad I left that site years ago; it should be burned to the ground for this dreadful travesty.

Muzy72

Banned
I'm so glad I left that site years ago; it should be burned to the ground for this dreadful travesty.

Sorry for off topic, but where'd you get that avatar? I've seen a couple of posters have Smash characters in that art style as their avatar and I was wondering who made them.

I suddenly want Tabuu as a playable character. Or maybe as a costume for one of the Miis. I do wish Tabuu, Galleom, and Duon at least got some sort of acknowledgement.

Granted Tabuu has an incredibly bland design and literally no personality, but he's alien to the rest of the cast, I find him kind of interesting in a way.

And yes, I am well aware not many people like Tabuu.

Made before Mewtwo I see.

Zubz

Banned
I suddenly want Tabuu as a playable character. Or maybe as a costume for one of the Miis. I do wish Tabuu, Galleom, and Duon at least got some sort of acknowledgement.

Granted Tabuu has an incredibly bland design and literally no personality, but he's alien to the rest of the cast, I find him kind of interesting in a way.

And yes, I am well aware not many people like Tabuu.

Although I'm in the camp that doesn't want Tabuu, I'd love to see, like, a Primid become playable in Smash.

Primid_Trophy.jpg

I dunno, I thought these guys had a charm to them, and the number of variations that existed could easily comprise a moveset.

Although I'm in the camp that doesn't want Tabuu, I'd love to see, like, a Primid become playable in Smash.

Primid_Trophy.jpg

I dunno, I thought these guys had a charm to them, and the number of variations that existed could easily comprise a moveset.

Yup, not to mention the different faces they had as you go through Subspace could make some good alternates.
Maybe it's Final Smash could be it summoning an army of Primids to wreck the other fighters. Similar to King Dedede's old Final Smash.

I'm glad some enemies like the Poppant and Roturret returned in Smash Run, so Subspace Emissary hasn't been completely forgotten.

Primid_Trophy.jpg

As someone who loved the Subspace, I would hate to see a Primid as a playable Smash character. I think it's just that they seem so generic that at that point you might as well put in Goombas and Waddle Doos. I mean, the Primids were cool and all, but I think that if they were to ever return, it should be as an Assist Trophy at best. Now Tabuu? He can stay in Brawl and never come back lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom