• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sandbag is first in line in the "characters originating in Smash that should become playable" list.
none of those characters should ever become playable

Golnei

Although I'm in the camp that doesn't want Tabuu, I'd love to see, like, a Primid become playable in Smash.

Primid_Trophy.jpg

I dunno, I thought these guys had a charm to them, and the number of variations that existed could easily comprise a moveset.

Primids should never actually be playable, but they'd be a perfect Mii costume - along with Polygons, Wireframes and Alloys. The latter three would be especially fitting due to how the Miis have served as their successor in Stadium modes.

You know who else gives me Mega Man Zero vibes? Mega Man, because if you recall they're actually both one and the same.

1) It's best if you link to beginning posts (like this) so that people with 50 or 100 posts per page can both see it.

2) Oh god the Beelfebufo posts, I still have PSTD from arguing with him (not on this particularly matter, but others). His avatar is appropriate because he's as impermeable to logic as pelicans are to water.

Neiteio

So someone finally put together my roster. Thank you, based Weiner_Whistle.

Not pictured: Young Link is an alt of Toon Link; Plusle and Minun are alts of Pichu; Toadette is an alt of Captain Toad; Octoling is an alt of Inklings (who also include male and female variants); and so on.

Yes, this ignores overscan, but it's just a way to see all the icons at once. They could always rework the CSS.

Side note: I like how Dr. Mario (a Mario clone) lines up with Pichu (a Pikachu clone) and each bookend their series.

NeoGAFSmashRoster_zps7vvgxrps.png

Golnei

I would take practically any Nintendo newcomer over a playable Subspace character.

tumblr_nkd1evhYye1rqz5qko6_r1_500.gif

So someone finally put together my roster. Thank you, based Weiner_Whistle.

Not pictured: Young Link is an alt of Toon Link.

Yes, this ignores overscan, but it's just a way to see all the icons at once. They could always rework the CSS:

Kind of unrelated, but I like the choice of artwork for Ryu's icon - Kawano's depiction of him from Namco x Capcom is probably my favourite of his semi-official incarnations.

ryu-nxcfix.jpg

The SF5 appearance they'll be mandated to stick to is okay, but something matching that art would fit in a lot more naturally - a shame that Capcom will probably dictate his portrayal completely; seeing as he's not from a dead, worthless series.

I know not-yet-released characters aren't eligible (well, probably), but still!

They'll definitely be in the next version of Project M, at least.

L Thammy

The SF5 appearance they'll be mandated to stick to

It's possible, but I don't think that's necessarily true. The Smash files specifically refer to Street Fighter II: it's entirely possible that they'll stick to the Fist of the North Star inspired appearance that Ryu had in early games. Maybe with Ryu's modern black hair. That feels like a very Sakurai thing to do.

On top of that, I don't think Capcom's too strict about having multiple versions of the same character at the same time. The recent Vs games have stuck with the modern black hair, but they're pretty distant from the Street Fighter IV style that was running at the same time.

Neoxon

It's possible, but I don't think that's necessarily true. The Smash files specifically refer to Street Fighter II: it's entirely possible that they'll stick to the Fist of the North Star inspired appearance that Ryu had in early games. Maybe with Ryu's modern black hair. That feels like a very Sakurai thing to do.

On top of that, I don't think Capcom's too strict about having multiple versions of the same character at the same time. The recent Vs games have stuck with the modern black hair, but they're pretty distant from the Street Fighter IV style that was running at the same time.
Hopefully they don't go too retro (or lazy, depending on how you see it) & use his retro voice clips.

Also, we need Yooka-Laylee, complete with a stage:

4NM057J.gif

F9JhsN7.gif

8a9bSM8.gif

I know not-yet-released characters aren't eligible (well, probably), but still!
You mentioned their potential problem right there. Splatoon is already a bit on the too recent side, Yooka & Laylee won't even be released by the time Smash DLC will likely end (mid 2016). Though at the very least, they have a better chance than Banjo & Kazooie on account that they aren't owned by a rival first-party company. If only I had enough spare cash to support the kickstarter.

Regiruler

I suddenly want Tabuu as a playable character. Or maybe as a costume for one of the Miis. I do wish Tabuu, Galleom, and Duon at least got some sort of acknowledgement.

Granted Tabuu has an incredibly bland design and literally no personality, but he's alien to the rest of the cast, I find him kind of interesting in a way.

And yes, I am well aware not many people like Tabuu.

Made before Mewtwo I see.
Tabuu is visually distinct and would provide a neat playable boss-character niche like Seth and Alpha-152.

Crocodile

At some point a fighting game can have too many characters in it right? Like I know there is an appeal in a having a character select screen with a million faces on it but for the sake of gameplay, balancing, competition, etc. there has to be a breaking point no?

Village

At some point a fighting game can have too many characters in it right? Like I know there is an appeal in a having a character select screen with a million faces on it but for the sake of gameplay, balancing, competition, etc. there has to be a breaking point no?
See mahvel

Actually I agree. The current layout looks like they can fit another 5 in (including Lucas). That's all i am expecting and will be happy with that too.

Pizza

With the giant succcess Yooka-Laylee's kickstarter campaign, I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo doing some sort of deal for Banjo in Smash seems likely.

If Microsoft had a secret banjo project (or even "a new 3-D platformer from rare") and decided to release the N64 games on their console, and Nintendo got the games on their console as well, Banjo being in smash would benefit both parties by tapping the Banjo hype as hard as they can.

Neoxon

With the giant succcess Yooka-Laylee's kickstarter campaign, I feel like Microsoft and Nintendo doing some sort of deal for Banjo in Smash seems likely.

If Microsoft had a secret banjo project (or even "a new 3-D platformer from rare") and decided to release the N64 games on their console, and Nintendo got the games on their console as well, Banjo being in smash would benefit both parties by tapping the Banjo hype as hard as they can.
Honestly, it would take the next Banjo game also releasing on the Wii U for Nintendo to budge on letting Banjo into Smash. There's too much pride going on with both sides.

Neoxon

What do you guys think of a monster hunter warrior as a char? Mh is pretty much huge on Nintendo systems?
The Monster Hunter devs have a thing against their characters being featured in crossover games (see MvC3 & UMvC3). It's kinda like how The Pokémon Company doesn't like their characters crossing over with other Nintendo IPs outside of Smash.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I'd support the hell out of Yooka and Laylee. I do agree that Laylee (the bat) looks...weird, but still. I'd rather not get too off topic here, but listening to the Jungle World music on the Kickstarter...that just OOZES Banjo-Kazooie. God I want this game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That would depend on if Sakurai (or whoever is in charge of Smash 5 if Sakurai passes the torch) chooses to just upgrade the Smash 4 engine or use a new engine like they did for Smash 4 & remake all the characters from scratch again.

Fair enough but I have a good feeling that they are not going to make characters from scratch again for next game.

That's if it happens, a Smash '5' that is. (Yes, I know you're counting 3DS/Wii U)

And then.. That'll be years from now. >.<

Who know *shrugs* If they really want to take a shortcut for next game so they could port Smash 4 and add some features, characters, stages, etc to it.

Smash is mostly about seeing beloved icons of Nintendo fight each other. Dream matches like Charizard vs Ganondorf, that would never happen without Smash. So I think Smash can get away with huge rosters compared to other fighting games.

Neiteio

Watching Marth on the Replay Channel, I am suddenly very excited for the return of Roy. The two will always be inseparable to me, because of Melee, so it'll be nice to finally see them reunited.

Golnei

Smash is mostly about seeing beloved icons of Nintendo fight each other. Dream matches like Charizard vs Ganondorf, that would never happen without Smash. So I think Smash can get away with huge rosters compared to other fighting games.

Though unless they plan to iterate on the current game forever, at some point the bloat has to be cut in order for any substantial overhauls to be made. And while it's true that a large part of Smash's appeal comes from its iconic cast; a significant amount of the roster don't really have widespread popularity - if ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, Palutena, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Olimar, Falco, Shulk, Dr. Mario, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Toon Link, Lucas, Meta Knight, Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus were cut; nobody would be particularly bothered outside of a few bitter internet mouth-breathers who'd buy the game anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly want to see new franchise characters not added and instead be seen in the next game, as well as characters with extensive gimmicks (like say, Inklings with territorial control).

Hatchtag

Banned
I honestly want to see new franchise characters not added and instead be seen in the next game, as well as characters with extensive gimmicks (like say, Inklings with territorial control).

In a way I agree. Representing a new franchise would be fairly difficult considering the amount of work that is on top of a character (trophies, stages, assist trophies, music, items, etc.), and if they were to do any less than that, it'd be kind of jarring. But at the same time, I really wanna see Custom Robo make it in, and there's already some franchises that are lacking in bonus content compared to others (Sonic's lack of new music, Punch-Out's lack of assist trophies/items, ROB still doesn't really have a stage).

Neoxon

We're already getting Street Fighter being added as a franchise to Smash via DLC, so too late for that.

Though unless they plan to iterate on the current game forever, at some point the bloat has to be cut in order for any substantial overhauls to be made. And while it's true that a large part of Smash's appeal comes from its iconic cast; a significant amount of the roster don't really have widespread popularity - if ROB, Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, Palutena, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, Olimar, Falco, Shulk, Dr. Mario, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Toon Link, Lucas, Meta Knight, Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus were cut; nobody would be particularly bothered outside of a few bitter internet mouth-breathers who'd buy the game anyway.

I wouldn't really be that confident you'd be right. The cuts to Brawl upset people a lot, and with such huge cuts to fan favorites, the game wouldn't feel right to many people. You underestimate how big of a selling point the roster is.

Besides, making those cuts, who do you replace them with? You release a sequel missing key Nintendo characters and a roster less than the previous game? Who'd go for that?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In a way I agree. Representing a new franchise would be fairly difficult considering the amount of work that is on top of a character (trophies, stages, assist trophies, music, items, etc.), and if they were to do any less than that, it'd be kind of jarring. But at the same time, I really wanna see Custom Robo make it in, and there's already some franchises that are lacking in bonus content compared to others (Sonic's lack of new music, Punch-Out's lack of assist trophies/items, ROB still doesn't really have a stage).

Yeah they cut the Custom Robo assist. Among others.

Nah. The more the merrier.

Sponge

Banned
My friend Sean, who made a Smash render for Banjo and Kazooie, also finished one for Yooka and Laylee today. He's uploading a video about it later today as well. I'll share that with you when he uploads it.

oEU51mo.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Article about Sakurai and E3 decision about Brawl. I found it interesting. There are more contents in the article that you need to read.

Basically Aonuma is one of guys that probably convinced Sakurai to take over the production of Brawl.

The request to make the difficult game, Smash came up when I was speaking with Aonuma, the producer of the “Legend of Zelda” series. Mr. Aonuma understood this topic well. Here is a summary of our conversation.

We were at a big party with people from the industry, the day of Nintendo’s E3 presentation.

“Mr. Sakurai! Please make Smash! You’ll do it, right?”

“Nah, hmmm, What should I do?.” (I didn’t know how to respond at that time)

“To put it bluntly, if you aren’t involved with Smash, then I guess it’s the end of the series. Without your ability to integrate a variety of games, you skill, design sense and without your way of thinking, the team would fail. Simply put, there’s no one who can replace you. I believe that we would be forced to make a new Smash game without heart [without you].”

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/im-making-smash-sakurais-famitsu-article-on-brawl/

Did you seriously just put Diddy Kong in the same sentence as Dark Pit?

Seriously? The community would go in a riot if Diddy Kong got cut. It's bad enough that Donkey Kong got treated as badly as it did this game, imagine if it lost its second most important character. Along with cutting the nineteen other characters on the list and you're talking losing a significant amount of sales for the game. If Diddy Kong was cut I definitely would not buy Smash 6 (which I'm likely already not going to do considering Smash 3DS & Wii U mostly satisfies my need for Smash).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom