• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illucio

Banned
You guys think they'll announce the next DLC character tomorrow?

Something. Last Smash direct released the content that was already made. But there is content still being developed that haven't been shown off or release, there MIGHT be a new character or two scheduled to be shown off or at least an acknowledgement that said character is in development like Mewtwo was.

I doubt Nintendo will leave Smash completely hanging, after Sony's conference they need something big. Star Fox and even a new Metroid won't be enough, Zelda U is showing for sure I highly doubt Nintendo will keep quite about it and will go back on their word and show it. A new Pokemon game for sure, and something else big.

I really don't want to hear anything about Yoshi Yarn or Mario Maker, and we know we will see Hyrule Warriors 3DS get properly announced.

Nintendo won't be able to top last year's E3 for sure, and no way can they top Sony. Sony killed it with 3 megaton nukes. But I'm sure Nintendo has some surprises in store.

You guys think they'll announce the next DLC character tomorrow?

If not today.. By the end of the week I think there's a decent chance. Usually Sakurai will talk about future upcoming dlc. All we got on Sunday morning was tournament mode confirmed for August, and no release date for hyrule castle and peach castle.

It would make sense to announce more dlc characters(and or modes) that would come out months from now imo, but I don't think it will be as much content announced as Sunday's, or at least I'm not expecting.
Announcing Wolf with Star Fox Wii U news would be the perfect chance.

I'm also wondering the same about MK8. Perfect chance to announce a pack 3 to come out in November.

Ryu was supposed to be a huge bomb, but he was leaked. That's not Nintendo's fault.

That is Nintendo's fault. They left data of Ryu, Roy, and dreamland music on the 3ds patch when Mewtwo came out. We were expecting them since then.

Something. Last Smash direct released the content that was already made. But there is content still being developed that haven't been shown off or release, there MIGHT be a new character or two scheduled to be shown off or at least an acknowledgement that said character is in development like Mewtwo was.

I doubt Nintendo will leave Smash completely hanging, after Sony's conference they need something big. Star Fox and even a new Metroid won't be enough, Zelda U is showing for sure I highly doubt Nintendo will keep quite about it and will go back on their word and show it. A new Pokemon game for sure, and something else big.

I really don't want to hear anything about Yoshi Yarn or Mario Maker, and we know we will see Hyrule Warriors 3DS get properly announced.

Nintendo won't be able to top last year's E3 for sure, and no way can they top Sony. Sony killed it with 3 megaton nukes. But I'm sure Nintendo has some surprises in store.

Nintendo said they wouldn't sow Zelda U though. Whether they go back on their word, is up to them of course.

Ryu was supposed to be a huge bomb, but he was leaked. That's not Nintendo's fault.
Having people take the patch off their servers isn't something I think they could've foreseen, but the earlier Mewtwo update that included references to Roy/Ryu/Dreamland 64 could've been scrubbed through better.

I'd be a bit pissed at Roy's announcement if I only found out during the Direct (until I played as him because holy shit is he way better than the rest of the FE crew now), but Ryu's announcement would've been an amazing surprise if it'd happened without any prior left-over material making his inclusion obvious.

Lucas was sort of a surprise without having any leaks but after Mewtwo most people reached the conclusion Lucas and Wolf would get the DLC treatment.

Illucio

Banned
T

Nintendo said they wouldn't show Zelda U though. Whether they go back on their word, is up to them of course.

I think it's going to happen, they still haven't even announced the damm title for it yet. If they game would have been completed at the end of this year, odds are they are that far completed with the game to give us at least that. It wouldn't be "showing" the game, but it would be telling you what it or what it is about.

Nintendo has been very literal with their statements in the past before.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At least they are confirmed to be in Star Fox Zero

I'm not feeling it anymore too.

Mind you I'm not a "let's bring Star Fox back to its roots" guy, I'm an "let's see an evolution of the game, a more polished experience of Assault if not taken further".

I see no logical reason to bring back Roy and Lucas, but not Wolf.

Not one.

Roy and Lucas were requested and popular, but not at all compared to Wolf. Wolf was the Mewtwo cut of this generation of Smash.

They're saving him for promotion for Star Fox Zero. The Wolfen is even on the box of the game!

It's just not going to compute with me if Wolf doesn't get in. I just... can't really figure out what they'd be doing. It would almost make me resent Lucas and Roy lol.

Wolf was one of my mains in Brawl :(

Zubz

Banned

Not one.

Roy and Lucas were requested and popular, but not at all compared to Wolf. Wolf was the Mewtwo cut of this generation of Smash.

They're saving him for promotion for Star Fox Zero. The Wolfen is even on the box of the game!

It's just not going to compute with me if Wolf doesn't get in. I just... can't really figure out what they'd be doing. It would almost make me resent Lucas and Roy lol.

I think he means that he doesn't want Wolf anymore. Many, myself & possibly Doggie included, want Zero to be an evolution of the series that stuck to what made 64 good while still feeling like a fresh experience, but the preview has many worried that it's going to be 64 HD, with the Walker from the unreleased Star Fox 2.

Even if we didn't see Wolf in the trailer, his presence was clear. He was already a shoo-in for Smash 4, but I'm just going to assume he's confirmed at this point. I'm thinking he'll have his design from this game when he comes back, much like how Roy had his Awakening design, minus the Sword-Arm.

Roy actually has a mix of his classic and Awakening designs

The new Star Fox actually seems to take some elements from the Smash 4 designs of Falco and Fox, so maybe Wolf looks like his Brawl self in the game.

Wolf would probably be more or less unchanged visually from Brawl. Falco and Fox only had minor changes. Their designs were already unique to Smash anyway

Ryce

Wolf is definitely coming back. I wouldn't worry about that. Like others have said, I'm sure he'll be released near the launch of Star Fox Zero. Lucas and Roy came out first because they don't tie into anything.

Also, this is just an observation, and I doubt it was intentional, but the recent wave of DLC is so incredibly Japanese.

C8aIXHC.jpg

Lucas - from the Japan-only Mother 3
Roy - from the Japan-only Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Ryu - Japanese martial artist
Suzaku Castle - stereotypical Japanese setting

Seeing that image... I still can't believe friggin' Ryu is in Smash.

It's just...
Like, that's so cool.

It hasn't even settled yet that Ryu is in Smash. He's a vet now. There's expectation he'll be around forever. People will main him. The king of crossovers is in our crossover!

He's so out of place and yet he works so well and fits so well. Never would I have imagined Ryu in Smash, let alone as our first DLC new comer. Let alone with a whole dedicated control system that even carries over to Kirby. He's a perfect third party character for this game, and yet he was one I had never even considered.

And Roy. Roy is the best sword fighter in the entire game. He's a high tier character. We live in a world were Marth is one of the worst characters in the game and Roy is one of the best. Roy went from groans of "ugh, another Marth" pre-release to being one of the competitive highlights of the entire update and a popular character people are excited to see high level play of. I dare say Roy is even gaining more hype and attention than Mewtwo did, maybe because Roy is just so much better and so different from Melee, he's practically a new fighter.

What a crazy time to be a Smash fan.

Azure J

Also, this is just an observation, and I doubt it was intentional, but the recent wave of DLC is so incredibly Japanese.

C8aIXHC.jpg

Needs more Takamaru. :p

OmegaFax

Wolf is definitely coming back. I wouldn't worry about that. Like others have said, I'm sure he'll be released near the launch of Star Fox Zero. Lucas and Roy came out first because they don't tie into anything.

C8aIXHC.jpg

Ryu needs a sparring partner.

latest

Not one.

As long as his final smash isn't another fucking Landmaster, we're good.

Qurupeke

C8aIXHC.jpg

Japan the Game.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Fox and Falco had rival lines for Wolf already recorded ages ago.

Wouldn't really be a reason not to do them back when they were doing all the other lines.

I imagine "PK FWEEZE" was also recorded before Lucas was officially cut. Although I'm not entirely sure since HAWDOOKEN and HIYYAAAA had to be recorded. Hey, Wolf saves them some money there, no need for a new Kirby line.

NOA really dropped the ball with Wolf's up special too.

It's not even supposed to have any relation to Fire Fox and Fire Bird. And yet they called it Fire Wolf.

It's supposed to be Wolf Shoot. Since it obviously doesn't use Fire. Making it a unique sounding move for Wolf. But NOA made it sound like a cloned move :(

You'll also note Fox doesn't truly have Fire Wolf as a custom, the closest one to it doesn't behave all that similar and isn't even named relative to it either, "Twisting Fox."

Actually, Fox only really has Wolf Flash as a custom. Not sure where the idea he has Wolf's entire moveset came from. It's no different than Luigi having Mario's Fireballs or Falco having Fox's blaster.

Then we better get the "incredibly Western" wave of Mike Jones, Ridley, and King K. Rool next. But K. Rool is also popular in Japan, just like how Roy is popular in North America because of Melee.

I'm not brave enough to bet my account, but I'm like 99.9% sure Wolf is coming back. Come on now. We know why he's being held back.

Ryce

I just noticed something else: in order to accommodate the DLC characters, the select screen portraits have been stretched horizontally to fit a 14th row. It's not a big deal, but if you look closely at the portraits everyone is just a tiny bit too narrow. Unless the select screen is mechanically redesigned through a patch, there isn't going to be room for a 15th column. I thought the borders of the portraits would move inward to fit more characters, in which case a 15th column would be feasible, but instead the game simply stretches the portraits horizontally.

Here's what a regular portrait looks like:
JoJtPCe.png

Instead of making room for additional columns by moving the borders in, like this...
LIYXNFK.png

...the game stretches the portrait like this:
X9a34Qd.png

It's barely noticeable as is, but it's going to look way too unprofessional if we get at least three more DLC characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

It's so interesting to think about. I didn't really realized that it was pretty much heavy japanese those characters and stages were. I know it's just pure coincidence nevertheless it was pretty cool.

I just noticed something else: in order to accommodate the DLC characters, the select screen portraits have been stretched horizontally to fit a 14th row. It's not a big deal, but if you look closely at the portraits everyone is just a tiny bit too narrow. Unless the select screen is mechanically redesigned through a patch, there isn't going to be room for a 15th column. I thought the borders of the portraits would move inward to fit more characters, in which case a 15th column would be feasible, but instead the game simply stretches the portraits horizontally.

With 3DS Leak, we already know that they already planned for two more downloadable characters so I wouldn't be surprised that those two characters would be final two. Basically our character selection screen already have two more available space, so it would make a sense to have two more downloadable characters.

It's barely noticeable as is, but it's going to look way too unprofessional if we get at least three more DLC characters.

Nintendo stahp wut r u doing to the css

The CSS situation is a mess.

Ryce

With 3DS Leak, we already know that they already planned for two more downloadable characters so I wouldn't be surprised that those two characters would be final two. Basically our character selection screen already have two more available space, so it would make a sense to have two more downloadable characters.
Yeah, I've been thinking we might only get two more DLC characters: Dixie Kong and Wolf. That's been my suspicion for a while. Dixie Kong is in the same position as Mewtwo -- she was reintroduced to prominence a little too late into the development process, with Tropical Freeze receiving only a few trophies and song rips. She's also a girl, and we haven't had a female DLC character yet. Just about every fighting game has had a female DLC character: Jill (MvC3), Skarlet (MK9), Sakura/Elena/Alisa/Christie (SFXTK), Batgirl/Zatanna (Injustice), and Tanya (MKX).

I find it funny people are super hyped for Hyrule Castle, but forget it had one of the most annoying hazards of Smash 64 with that stupid tornado.

It wasn't in the preview though, maybe they got rid of it. But probably not.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, I've been thinking we might only get two more DLC characters: Dixie Kong and Wolf. That's been my suspicion for a while. Dixie Kong is in the same position as Mewtwo -- she was reintroduced to prominence a little too late into the development process, with Tropical Freeze receiving only a few trophies and song rips. She's also a girl, and we haven't had a female DLC character yet. Just about every fighting game has had a female DLC character: Jill (MvC3), Skarlet (MK9), Sakura/Elena/Alisa/Christie (SFXTK), Batgirl/Zatanna (Injustice), and Tanya (MKX).

I already have a good feeling that it might be Donkey Kong Representative which is more likely to be Dixie Kong but It's entirely possible that we could get new franchise representative. It could be anyone.

I find it funny people are super hyped for Hyrule Castle, but forget it had one of the most annoying hazards of Smash 64 with that stupid tornado.

It wasn't in the preview though, maybe they got rid of it. But probably not.

Yes, it was shown in the preview.

WOzi44L.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom