• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simbabbad

A Metroid character is a must. It's crazy some secondary franchises like Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem have way more characters than Metroid: it's what, 3 for KI and 5 for FE vs. 1 for Metroid?!

At the very least, remove the Dark Samus assist trophy and make it a character. Or even better, do a SA-X character with morphing abilities, it could be incredibly fun and iconic.

Azure J

So who are we expecting before Christmas? I don't think they'll have the ballot character ready so close after October, but I bet they won't finish the year without another round of DLC.

Takamaru.

I got nothing. Though I imagine K.Rool is happening almost assuredly. Probably with a surprise Wolf announcement.

Azure J

I have good feeling that Takamaru, Inkling and RH representative would have good chance to make in Smash 5.

I feel like people are too suddenly dropping off the Inkling train personally. But yeah, by Smash 5 I see Inkling and a Rhythm Heaven character for sure if they haven't made it in by the end of 4's DLC campaigns.

Takamaru is the eternal "should I/should I not" character. Let's hope someone slips Sakurai a double headed coin when he's doing the toss to decide if he should be playable the next time around.

Ryce

A Metroid character is a must. It's crazy some secondary franchises like Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem have way more characters than Metroid: it's what, 3 for KI and 5 for FE vs. 1 for Metroid?!
There are series more popular than Metroid with fewer characters (Animal Crossing, Wii Fit) or no characters at all (Brain Age, Nintendogs). It's not just a matter of popularity -- character viability is just as big a factor, and Metroid simply doesn't have anyone else suited for Smash Bros. besides some obscure D-listers like Anthony or the Space Pirates. Dark Samus could work, but I don't think she's a big enough deal, appearing in only two games that Sakurai/Nintendo don't like to reference a lot. Fire Emblem gets a new protagonist with each installment so it's easy to justify a bunch of playable characters.

NeonZ

At the very least, remove the Dark Samus assist trophy and make it a character. Or even better, do a SA-X character with morphing abilities, it could be incredibly fun and iconic.

Even though Samus and Zero Suit are the same "person", as far as resources and development go they're two completely separate characters in Smash. KI has 3 characters, but one of them is a clone who reuses most of his animations, so it's barely above Metroid. I'm pretty sure you'd be complaining if Dark Samus got added as a cheap Samus clone reusing most of her attacks and animations.

Also, keep in mind that Uprising sold better than Prime 2 and Other M (although worse than Prime 3). So they aren't really in different tiers if you look at recent games.

Meanwhile, Fire Emblem Awakening sold better than all Metroids aside from the original and Prime 1. At least in Japan, Nintendo seems to be expecting a lot from the franchise's future, even releasing the next game with two versions.

JoeM86

So who are we expecting before Christmas? I don't think they'll have the ballot character ready so close after October, but I bet they won't finish the year without another round of DLC.

I think you're thinking of the ballot wrong. It's not a vote for who's the most popular. It's for them to gauge demand of characters, see who's viable. I'd be very surprised if they weren't already working on some popular choices on it.

Simbabbad

I'm pretty sure you'd be complaining if Dark Samus got added as a cheap Samus clone reusing most of her attacks and animations.
Actually, not that much: something like Captain Falcon/Ganondorf would be perfectly fine. I understand constraints. But one character (doubled into two, you're right) is just not enough compared to 5 for Fire Emblem or 3 for Kid Icarus who had mostly one recent game and that's it. Metroid has a richer history and impact.

Pizza

I think you're thinking of the ballot wrong. It's not a vote for who's the most popular. It's for them to gauge demand of characters, see who's viable. I'd be very surprised if they weren't already working on some popular choices on it.

Me too! I could easily see a "mewtwo is on the way!" Style announcement for one of them

Pizza

That's pretty much what I'm expecting to go down, but expectations and Nintendo is a very dangerous combination to rest laurels on.

Well to be honest all I'm *expecting* is a letdown because everything cool got leaked, and isn't what I was hoping for (stages plz) the couple new stages are neat though, two more battlefield layouts and a whole new one

Who

Banned
Im not sure if hes been nominated yet but Kalas from Baten Kaitos

1038.jpg

He would be a pretty sick character in my opinion. Kind of like an Ike mixed with Pit.

Also, Nintendo/Monolith should totally bring back Baten Kaitos and have it replace the Xenoblade series as its flagship first-party JRPG.

Golnei

Also, Nintendo/Monolith should totally bring back Baten Kaitos and have it replace the Xenoblade series as its flagship first-party JRPG.

Given Xenoblade X's flaccid performance, I think Nintendo's more likely to give up on the 'flagship first-party JRPG' altogether; barring future Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
OH MY GOD

Not only is Fountain of Dreams back, but Pop Star theme from Kirby 64 (my favorite kirby game) is in! I wanted more music from that game.

Masked Man

I said wow
OH MY GOD

Not only is Fountain of Dreams back, but Pop Star theme from Kirby 64 (my favorite kirby game) is in! I wanted more music from that game.

I was super-pumped when I heard that track! Absolutely loved that game.

It's a shame that we only got the Forest Stage music from Air Ride because that game has my favorite music out of all the Kirby games. I want more!

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with all the above posts. I wish Kirby 64 had more stuff in Smash but I'll gladly take Popstar. I WAS ecstatic when I found out 02's theme was in...until I listened to it and realized they butchered it with a bad remix.

Also, unrelated, but I'm not sure if Miiverse Stage was the best idea ever or worst idea ever. They are clearly not filtering these posts XD

I hate to break it to you but Metroid is planted firmly in secondary franchise land ever since Other M. Fire Emblem is coming off of the hottest entry the franchise has ever seen.

I hate to break it to you but Metroid is planted firmly in secondary franchise land ever since Other M. Fire Emblem is coming off of the hottest entry the franchise has ever seen.

So one Fire Emblem game manages to sell 1.79 million copies worldwide and it somehow invalidates 25 years worth of history? Gotcha. People would be justifying the overabundance of Fire Emblem content even if Awakening bombed. You know, like every other game in the series. Other M does poorly (deservedly so) and it's the fucking apocalypse. Metroid will rebound. I wonder how you guys felt during the N64 era, since the Metroid series went almost a decade without a release.

Pizza

Today's stuff was pretty rad, I'm loving the new stages and everything honestly!

I'm still holding out home for a 3ds stage pack. At this point I know it's not going to happen but *god* having two pages of TONS of stages would be nuts. One page of wiiu+3ds and another of everything new. Plzplzplz

I wonder if they'll update the Mother content to say it comes from Earthbound Awakening.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 5 renames the entire series to Earthbound, since that's what they seem to want the series to be called outside of Japan.

I have a feeling it'll be awhile before we get another character.

Well when Lucas was first revealed, no one thought he would release alongside two more characters, three stages and a bunch of additional content. I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if the eventual N64 stages + Tourney update also launches alongside more than what we know now. Whether that is a full fledged character or not I'm not optimistic, but I guess we'll have to wait for the next non E3 direct for any new info.

Javier

So one Fire Emblem game manages to sell 1.79 million copies worldwide and it somehow invalidates 25 years worth of history? Gotcha. People would be justifying the overabundance of Fire Emblem content even if Awakening bombed. You know, like every other game in the series. Other M does poorly (deservedly so) and it's the fucking apocalypse. Metroid will rebound. I wonder how you guys felt during the N64 era, since the Metroid series went almost a decade without a release.
I wouldn't say every game in the series pre-Awakening bombed. FE3 was around 750k and FE4 was near 500k, I believe, which isn't bad for Japan-only titles. I don't believe Nintendo ever had high expectations for the series which is why they continued making it despite the 300k average sales. It was probably expected for a niche series.

The only games in the series I'd say are near bomba territory are the Tellius games (FE9 and FE10), which despite being released worldwide Nintendo didn't do much to promote them.

FE5 is the least selling game in the series, but come on, it's an SNES game released in 1999, for crying out loud.

Zubz

Banned
I wonder if they'll update the Mother content to say it comes from Earthbound Awakening.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 5 renames the entire series to Earthbound, since that's what they seem to want the series to be called outside of Japan.

Maybe? It seems like a minor detail to fret about, but there is a good chunk of Mother content in Smash 4 for them to go back and correct. Plus, I'd appreciate the consistency. With Lucas back, though, maybe they'll just wait until they have to go back and update trophies/possibly a stage to say "EarthBound 2."

But yeah; I feel Smash 5'll call Mother 3 "EarthBound 2" regardless of whether or not it's happening by that point.

AgeEighty

So, question: I bought the whole bundle for both consoles on my Wii U, but it's not showing as purchased or downloadable on my 3DS. Is there some kind of code I missed?

EDIT: Think I answered my question. Apparently there is a code, which I can't pull up anywhere else but on my Wii U, which is not currently in front of me. That's silly.

NeonZ

Sakurai specifically commented on how characters were chosen this time based on future plans for the series. So, Awakening performing very well and IF seemingly getting a bigger budget and push certainly influenced FE's prominence in Smash 4.

Also, all FE games released worldwide performed better than Other M, in spite of never received such push, like closing an E3 presentation (Well, I'm saying this last one without being able to check the old numbers posted here on NeoGAF right now, so I might be mistaken).

Ryce

So, Awakening performing very well and IF seemingly getting a bigger budget and push certainly influenced FE's prominence in Smash 4.
The roster was finalized a month after Awakening's Japanese release and nearly a year before its American release. It wasn't a massive success until long after this game's planning period. Really, Awakening got very lucky -- Robin is playable because he's from the most recent game in the series (the same reason Ike was included in Brawl), and Lucina is playable because she was originally a Marth alt.

NeonZ

The roster was finalized a month after Awakening's Japanese release and nearly a year before its American release. It wasn't a massive success until long after this game's planning period. Really, Awakening got very lucky -- Robin is playable because he's from the most recent game in the series (the same reason Ike was included in Brawl), and Lucina is playable because she was originally a Marth alt.

That conversation mentioned 5 FE characters though, so it's counting Lucina (who likely was individualized after Awakening's success was known) and Roy (who was clearly added post development, and even has his design influenced by Awakening's post launch DLC).

So let's see.

These are leftover from Brawl for Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle.
-Ground Theme 2 (Super Mario Bros.)
-Underground Theme (Super Mario Bros.)
-Gritzy Desert

-Termina Field
-The Great Sea (Original version)
-Molgera Battle

I could easily see Termina Field on Hyrule Castle, and Ground Theme 2 on Peach's Castle. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't. Miiverse and Dreamland had previously cut music (Big Brain Title and Fountain of Dreams). The other cut songs, I'm not so sure. Two Wind Waker rips don't scream Ocarina of Time to me. Underground might work fine, not even sure why this got cut, as it's on the 3DS. Gritzy Desert would be odd.

I do wonder if we'll get Peach's Castle music. Not like the Smash songs. Like the actual song from Peach's Castle in Mario. Why is this song not been in Smash yet? I could even see it being the remix for the stage.

I couldn't see them not ripping at least one song straight from Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. Hyrule Castle from Link Between Worlds would be appreciated by me as well.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

What are the chances of Japan adopting the title? I mean still calling them Mother, but Earthbound as the full title...so...Earthbound: Mother. I know Castlevania adopted the dub title in Japan eventually.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So let's see.

These are leftover from Brawl for Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle.

I could easily see Termina Field on Hyrule Castle, and Ground Theme 2 on Peach's Castle. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't. Miiverse and Dreamland had previously cut music (Big Brain Title and Fountain of Dreams). The other cut songs, I'm not so sure. Two Wind Waker rips don't scream Ocarina of Time to me. Underground might work fine, not even sure why this got cut, as it's on the 3DS. Gritzy Desert would be odd.

That's big if we are not going to get Pirate Ship for DLC Stage, but again Sakurai said that there wouldn't be much left after two stages so I'm going to temper my expectation to only two stages left, which is Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle.

However, I would prefer Melee version of Peach's Castle but it's not big deal tho.

30 more minutes until Sony Conference so NeoGAF is going to crash for sure if the rumor is correct. *hide in #smashgaf irc chatroom*

Enjoy the meteor! :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
30 more minutes until Sony Conference so NeoGAF is going to crash for sure if the rumor is correct. *hide in #smashgaf irc chatroom*

Enjoy the meteor! :)

What rumor are they calling for?

By the way, if there's anything Kingdom Hearts III related will it be at the Sony one, or is there a separate SE one?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What rumor are they calling for?

By the way, if there's anything Kingdom Hearts III related will it be at the Sony one, or is there a separate SE one?

The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy 7 HD. hence, me saying enjoy the meteor! Also people were hyping for Shenmue 3 as well.

Kingdom Heart 3 is more likely to be at Square-Enix Conference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom