• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

Was their any data mining with the latest content inclusion? I never would have thought our first 4 DLC characters would include Ryu and Roy. Boy what a time to be a Smash fan.

Samurai didn't mention anything about the ballot recently has he?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I find it funny people are super hyped for Hyrule Castle, but forget it had one of the most annoying hazards of Smash 64 with that stupid tornado.

It wasn't in the preview though, maybe they got rid of it. But probably not.

I'm guessing you got stuck in the tornado a lot.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Was their any data mining with the latest content inclusion? I never would have thought our first 4 DLC characters would include Ryu and Roy. Boy what a time to be a Smash fan.

Samurai didn't mention anything about the ballot recently has he?

I don't think so. I don't think we would get much stages too. I would expect one more stage then that's it.

L Thammy

Code:
October 23, 2014 - Mewtwo announced
November 21, 2014 - Smash Wii U announced
April 1, 2015 - Lucas announced, ballot opened
April 28, 2015 - Mewtwo released
June 14, 2015 - Lucas / Ryu / Roy released
October 3, 2015 - Smash ballot closes

Just food for thought. It was around five months between Mewtwo's announcement and release. Two months for Lucas, but he already seemed to be working at the time of announcement. The ballot runs for around six months.

I think it's possible that October marks the point where the characters selected by the ballots will be released, based on the votes collected in the first month so. That's assuming that a single character can take five months to create, base on Mewtwo.

Now, since we got those three DLC characters at the same time, they were presumably underway at the same time as well. Assuming Ryu, Lucas, and Roy all began five months earlier, they would have started around December... Which isn't that far from Mewtwo. So it's possible that Sakurai's current staff is capable of working on four characters at a time. Though I get the feeling that it's actually less, since Roy and Lucas both use current Smash 4 characters as a base.

Considering they also released two stages alongside each other along with the current set of DLC, I don't think the announced DLC will bog down their ability to develop new characters.

EDIT: Alternatively, if the ballot character is only going to be started when the ballot ends, we could get one new round of DLC characters beforehand.

Yeah, I've been thinking we might only get two more DLC characters: Dixie Kong and Wolf. That's been my suspicion for a while. Dixie Kong is in the same position as Mewtwo -- she was reintroduced to prominence a little too late into the development process, with Tropical Freeze receiving only a few trophies and song rips. She's also a girl, and we haven't had a female DLC character yet. Just about every fighting game has had a female DLC character: Jill (MvC3), Skarlet (MK9), Sakura/Elena/Alisa/Christie (SFXTK), Batgirl/Zatanna (Injustice), and Tanya (MKX).
I'd love both of them but that's going to piss a lot of people off if the fan ballot doesn't influence who becomes playable in the end. I guess they never really committed to that line of reasoning, but I think it's the interpretation most voters went with regardless.

Yes, it was shown in the preview.

WOzi44L.png

Oh well

That looks nicely remastered though.

Am I the only one bothered by the DLC N64 stages being named "Dreamland (64)" and not "Dreamland 64?"

It's inconsistent with "Kongo Jungle 64"

Masked Man

I said wow
Also, this is just an observation, and I doubt it was intentional, but the recent wave of DLC is so incredibly Japanese.

C8aIXHC.jpg

Lucas - from the Japan-only Mother 3
Roy - from the Japan-only Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Ryu - Japanese martial artist
Suzaku Castle - stereotypical Japanese setting

Funnily enough, I hadn't realized that, but it's a crazy coincidence! :O

Oh well

That looks nicely remastered though.

Am I the only one bothered by the DLC N64 stages being named "Dreamland (64)" and not "Dreamland 64?"

It's inconsistent with "Kongo Jungle 64"
The Game Boy stage on the 3DS is called "Dreamland", so that's probably why they felt the brackets were needed. No stages have the exact same name as Kongo Jungle in the Wii U version by comparison.

Berordn

I'd honestly just prefer it be called Kongo Jungle (64). Or just drop the 64 entirely. Kongo Jungle Melee is MIA.

roy should be Roy (FE)

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Somehow I don't think the CSS will be an issue for them, and will release who they want to. And given the indications we've been seeing so far, who knows how many we'll get. We could get anywhere between 2-6 more characters after Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu.

Don't forget that, while there's 2 slots left to fill currently on the Wii U CSS, the 3DS one is completely filled, and we know at least 2 more characters, probably pre-ballot ones (veeeeeeeery likely including Wolf) to take up those two "marios" in the 3DS code with ballot characters to follow.

Or it could literally just be Wolf and a Ballot Winner. We have no idea. So far one expectation has been shattered after another.

The 3DS is interesting because, while it could have pages, pages will make battles against CPUs a little more awkward to work out.

And having 2 characters all alone on the second page would look a little weird. I have the same complain with the stages. They have all this space with a second page, why not split up the SSS to not have all the stages on one page and then 2-3 on the second.

Also ffs flip the page 2 on the Wii U to be the second tab, not to the left. The arrow points right, why does the R trigger send me to custom stages??

- Rename "Extra Stages" to Page 2, rename "Basic Stages" to Page 1 (like Brawl)
- Split up the stages better between the pages so all stages have larger icons and page two doesn't look weirdly huge and unorganized. Just pick a stage and move everything after it to page 2.
- I really hate when DLC is segregated into its own special area. DLC fits so much better when it's treated as part of the base game and 100% integrated into the game. I was please when they put DLC into the Part 2 of classic (which happened with the Ryu patch, Mewtwo never showed up in Part 2 before).

For the 3DS CSS I have no idea what they can do to avoid a second page. They might have to, but that just sounds so cumbersome to check high scores or set up CPUs or whatever.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just noticed something else: in order to accommodate the DLC characters, the select screen portraits have been stretched horizontally to fit a 14th row. It's not a big deal, but if you look closely at the portraits everyone is just a tiny bit too narrow. Unless the select screen is mechanically redesigned through a patch, there isn't going to be room for a 15th column. I thought the borders of the portraits would move inward to fit more characters, in which case a 15th column would be feasible, but instead the game simply stretches the portraits horizontally.

Here's what a regular portrait looks like:
JoJtPCe.png

Instead of making room for additional columns by moving the borders in, like this...
LIYXNFK.png

...the game stretches the portrait like this:
X9a34Qd.png

It's barely noticeable as is, but it's going to look way too unprofessional if we get at least three more DLC characters.
The Character Selection Screen has looked unprofessional since the ESRB leak happened.

If Hyrule Castle gets Saria's song and Peach's Castle gets it's own theme (lol), Mushroom Kingdom I and II, then only Fourside, Jungle Japes and Balloon Fight will be the only Melee songs that are not in Smash 4. And Balloon Fight is a direct NES rip, so it hardly counts.

That's pretty cool. And I'd love for both Mushroom Kingdom I and II to be on Peach's Castle because I is a rip from SMB, is iconic and was also in Smash 64, and II would be the only music SMBII has, which is a shame, since the overworld of that game is so catchy.

What I'd like to see
Hyrule Castle (Obviously)
Saria's Song (Melee)
Hyrule Castle (Link Between Worlds)
Duel With Ganondorf/Ganondorf's Theme (Twilight Princess)
Legend of Zelda Title
Termina Field
Some kind of Majora's Mask medley or remix
Lon Lon Ranch

Peach's Castle (64)
Overworld (Super Mario Bros)
Overworld (Super Mario Bros 2)
Throwback Galaxy (I feel this absolutely mandatory)
Peach's Castle Remix using this tune as a base
Puzzle Plank Galaxy
Super Mario 3D Land Overworld

Masked Man

I said wow
If Hyrule Castle gets Saria's song and Peach's Castle gets it's own theme (lol), Mushroom Kingdom I and II, then only Fourside, Jungle Japes and Balloon Fight will be the only Melee songs that are not in Smash 4. And Balloon Fight is a direct NES rip, so it hardly counts.

That's pretty cool. And I'd love for both Mushroom Kingdom I and II to be on Peach's Castle because I is a rip from SMB, is iconic and was also in Smash 64, and II would be the only music SMBII has, which is a shame, since the overworld of that game is so catchy.

What I'd like to see
Hyrule Castle (Obviously)
Saria's Song (Melee)
Hyrule Castle (Link Between Worlds)
Duel With Ganondorf/Ganondorf's Theme (Twilight Princess)
Legend of Zelda Title
Termina Field
Some kind of Majora's Mask medley or remix
Lon Lon Ranch

Peach's Castle (64)
Overworld (Super Mario Bros)
Overworld (Super Mario Bros 2)
Throwback Galaxy (I feel this absolutely mandatory)
Peach's Castle Remix using this tune as a base
Puzzle Plank Galaxy
Super Mario 3D Land Overworld

This is sort of in line with what I envision for a Peach's Castle Remix. Simple, but still has that nostalgia effect. :)

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Unrelated but I've been considering investing in a New 3DS XL and trading in my old one, if only to have the c stick for Smash and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (which, as a gunner, looks so incredibly useful I hate that touch pad dpad camera so much). Only Xenoblade is exclusive to the system, so I'm wondering if it's worth the investment at all. The general consensus seems to be Nintendo picking up and moving on to the NX, and while that means and end to Wii U support I don't know how they'll continue to support 3DS after. I imagine they will, 3DS is widely successful.

I love all the games on my 3DS but hardly touch my Wii U outside Smash, and I actually enjoy Smash Run and Classic on 3DS to the Wii U version, Wii U though still has My Music and Special Smash that I like to toy with every now and then.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh yeah, I was wondering, how did they handle Mewtwo and Lucas trophy? Does this mean there are two Mewtwo and Lucas "base" trophies?

So remember when everyone hated Roy and he was the worst character ever and nobody wanted him for Smash, Sakurai is a fraud, etc, etc

A recent Reddit poll of over 2600 votes puts Roy well above the rest of the DLC as the most popular

Yea, so when people like me were saying Roy was popular and people saying he wasn't were just making it up. Guess what. They were just making it up.

Also 83% of people think Wolf will return, and he's the second most wanted vet to return behind Snake. If anyone doubts Wolf will return, don't. He'll be back.

King K Rool is also substantially ahead of everyone else as most wanted new comer DLC.

People also really want new costumes for non-Mii characters.

Kouichi

I totally expected Roy to have one of the highest number of votes in the ballot so that doesn't surprise me. Sakurai himself said that Lucas and Roy were particularly popular requests.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So remember when everyone hated Roy and he was the worst character ever and nobody wanted him for Smash, Sakurai is a fraud, etc, etc

A recent Reddit poll of over 2600 votes puts Roy well above the rest of the DLC as the most popular

Yea, so when people like me were saying Roy was popular and people saying he wasn't were just making it up. Guess what. They were just making it up.

Also 83% of people think Wolf will return, and he's the second most wanted vet to return behind Snake. If anyone doubts Wolf will return, don't. He'll be back.

King K Rool is also substantially ahead of everyone else as most wanted new comer DLC.

*reads Ballot poll*
*Wonder-Red only has 58 votes* You suck Reddit.
*Goku and Shrek have way more* You really suck Reddit.

Village

To bad that isn't anywhere near representative of the demographic of most folks who even buy smash or who would vote in a smash poll.

Or that might mean something, but it doesn't. So neat I guess

It's so interesting to think about. I didn't really realized that it was pretty much heavy japanese those characters and stages were. I know it's just pure coincidence nevertheless it was pretty cool.

With Nintendo being Japanese, I prefer another piece of trivia (credit to Smashboards for noticing): all DLC fighters except Ryu come from RPGs. How coincidental is that? We may never know.

Gleethor

The css will hopefully get a redesign when the final batch of characters are out. I remember the css in Injustice was a mess due to the dlc characters up until the final patch fixed it all.

Revven

People can want as much as they want, but I don't think it's going to happen. If it were to happen, we would have had clues about it from the datamines. Also, let's not forget that they need as many modelers available to work on DLC characters -- having them working on costumes doesn't seem like the best use of their time.

Azure J

We get it, Roy's popular. :p

Pizza

At least throw in a Melee stage like Fourside to even it out.

I'm super discouraged thanks to him saying "I don't think we can add many more but..." Like, you made a whole second page for a handful of stages?

Idk if he's fucking with everyone or if stages just aren't a priority at all, but you'd think they'd be easier than making whole new characters

Neiteio

Ryu is so much fun. Let me emphasize that: Ryu is SO MUCH FUN. I've barely touched Lucas and Roy because I'm having so much fun with Ryu. (Although I've been training against them, and I can tell they're great, too!)

I struggle to pull off the shoryuken command input on the analog stick (keep doing the dash attack instead), but otherwise I'm having a great time with the command inputs and light/medium/heavy attacks. Crumpling a foe with the Focus Attack and then delivering a donkey kick is the most satisfying thing ever. The donkey kick, in general, is one of the most satisfying smash attacks in the game. I also love the meteor effect on his down-air, launching enemies at a diagonal — great for off-stage interceptions. Haven't popped a shield yet with the Collarbone Breaker, but looking forward to it! Oh, and the karate chop on the down-throw never gets old.

Really, all of Ryu's moves feel good, thanks in part to the classic 16-bit sound effects. CRUNCHY!

I'm super-hyped for the next round of DLC — whatever and whenever that may be. My one request is that it includes WOLF. I mean, I'd also ask for Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur, but if I just stick to what seems reasonable to expect, I'd want Wolf.

Oh, and if they can find a way to rework Ice Climbers so they can function as a pair in both versions, that would be amazing. I still think Sakurai could find a way to make it work. The man is so brilliant that he managed to reconcile Street Fighter's six-button scheme and command inputs with Smash's two-button scheme and directional inputs. Someone who can figure out that can probably figure out anything.

So who knows what we'll get next! :)

P.S. Rocking the Goku gi with Ryu

I'm super discouraged thanks to him saying "I don't think we can add many more but..." Like, you made a whole second page for a handful of stages?

Idk if he's fucking with everyone or if stages just aren't a priority at all, but you'd think they'd be easier than making whole new characters
Probably has to do with the fact that they have to create, essentially, two stages at a time between regular and Omega modes.

People can want as much as they want, but I don't think it's going to happen. If it were to happen, we would have had clues about it from the datamines. Also, let's not forget that they need as many modelers available to work on DLC characters -- having them working on costumes doesn't seem like the best use of their time.

There wasn't anything about Hyrule Castle or Peach's Castle in the datamine either.

DLC costumes would be super popular. Even DLC recolors would be popular, especially if pulled from older Smash titles. They'd sell well and could advertise well and wouldn't even be that hard. It's one model recolored 7 times.

Stuff like Ocarina of Time 3D styles for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf, or Star Fox 643D costumes for Falco and Fox. They could even advertise them as making the characters look more like they did in Melee. I know I'd absolutely love an Ocarina of Time styled Link. Even minor stuff like headband Jigglypuff or some cut colors from past games (Blue/Red Mario, Black Olimar, Blue Bow Jigglypuff, those are just recolors).

They're playing with Melee nostalgia a lot with DLC. Costumes and colors could just add to that.

He's weird with DLC. He said they weren't really considering any DLC after Mewtwo and then 3 characters get released 2 months later.

It also could be an awkward translation. Remember when it was translated that Assist Trophies would have an important role in All Star?

I think he was more implying this was the end of the 64 remakes and they'll move onto other games or new stages.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I totally expected Roy to have one of the highest number of votes in the ballot so that doesn't surprise me. Sakurai himself said that Lucas and Roy were particularly popular requests.

Roy is our boy! :) Seriously, I have been rooting for him to come back. I'm very pleased that he finally become playable character for new smash bros.

*reads Ballot poll*
*Wonder-Red only has 58 votes* You suck Reddit.
*Goku and Shrek have way more* You really suck Reddit.

The problem with Wonderful 101 and NeoGAF, some of fans here were very loud about Wonder Red so what we experienced is basically echoes.

The css will hopefully get a redesign when the final batch of characters are out. I remember the css in Injustice was a mess due to the dlc characters up until the final patch fixed it all.

I truly hope.

I sure hope we get more than five stages. I'll be so let down if all they could handle was some n64 remakes

Well, Smash team is way smaller now because most of workers were moved back to their own teams for other game developments. They probably couldn't work on everything at once so they are taking their times with the developments.

I don't mind to see few more stages but at least we are getting Hyrule Castle 64 and Dream Land 64 tho.

Pizza

he's weird with DLC. He said they weren't really considering any DLC after Mewtwo and then 3 characters get released 2 months later.

It also could be an awkward translation. Remember when it was translated that Assist Trophies would have an important role in All Star?

I think he was more implying this was the end of the 64 remakes and they'll move onto other games or new stages.

Boy I'd hope so, having a couple stages from 64 and little else seems silly

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There wasn't anything about Hyrule Castle or Peach's Castle in the datamine either.

That's right.

Stuff like Ocarina of Time 3D styles for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf, or Star Fox 643D costumes for Falco and Fox. They could even advertise them as making the characters look more like they did in Melee. I know I'd absolutely love an Ocarina of Time styled Link. Even minor stuff like headband Jigglypuff or some cut colors from past games (Blue/Red Mario, Black Olimar, Blue Bow Jigglypuff, those are just recolors).

They're playing with Melee nostalgia a lot with DLC. Costumes and colors could just add to that.

If they are planning for alternative costume for characters, then I would love to see Star Fox U's Fox being alternative costume for Smash.

That's what I thought at first but it might be best for me to set my expectation low for that.

Pizza

Well, Smash team is way smaller now because most of workers were moved back to their own teams for other game developments. They probably couldn't work on everything at once so they are taking their times with the developments.

I don't mind to see few more stages but at least we are getting Hyrule Castle 64 and Dream Land 64 tho.

Yeah, I'm happy we're getting something, but the stage anti-reveal was the biggest letdown if e3 this year for me, I was really hoping for stage parity. ;(

Game still rules though!

The Sector Z dream is probably dead though

My next hope is 8 Player Orbital Gate is just the Great Fox part of the stage, mirrored, and they add an 8 player toggle for 4 player so I can have my Great Fox back! Do something Sakurai.

Smash without the Great Fox to play on feels really weird, and a perfect remake of it is sitting right there! 5 seconds of a tease of a great remake of a great stage is just mean.

It even has Corneria's music

We did finally got Wispy back (it felt weird without him as well), so that's a nice thing. Now bring on the Great Fox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom