• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyeforce

I'm still secretly hoping that we get a Rhythm Heaven character, with the two Rhythm Heaven songs appearing on Miiverse being excused because the Rhythm Heaven stage that comes along with the Rhythm Heaven character is synced to music and thus tied to a specific song so, like Hanenbow in Brawl, it doesn't have any alternate music, and they threw song extra Rhythm Heaven songs on Miiverse to compensate. I know, it's a crazy stretch, and I should probably just abandon all hope now, but I'm just so disappointed that we didn't get a Rhythm Heaven character after learning that one was planned at one point... It would be so perfect. =( I suppose it was always too good to be true... =/

Aside from that, I'm having a hard time guessing which other DLC characters we'll be getting. Characters that once seemed like obvious choices now seem like impossibilities (Rhythm Heaven, Inkling, etc.), and beyond Wolf, I just don't know what to expect. Either Dixie Kong or King K. Rool may be expected at this point, but I just don't know anymore. I feel like Sakurai's looking at DLC character with a different mindset or something, because so far the choices have been, well...not as expected at all, beyond Mewtwo. Not that they're crazy choices or anything, but it just doesn't seem to be the kind of additions that Sakurai is known to value. Like, a Rhythm Heaven character would be so unique and totally something that Sakurai would like to go through with...and since one was already planned at one point, why aren't we getting that as DLC? I dunno, it just doesn't make sense...

Ryce

Like, a Rhythm Heaven character would be so unique and totally something that Sakurai would like to go through with...and since one was already planned at one point, why aren't we getting that as DLC? I dunno, it just doesn't make sense...
I didn't want to believe it at first, but maybe the Chorus Kids really were AI-intensive characters and cut for the same reason as the Ice Climbers. Thanks, 3DS.

I'm calling it now: Wolf and Dixie Kong are the only characters left. Everyone will complain that we got Dixie over K. Rool, people will whine that six DLC characters isn't enough, and people will call Sakurai a liar for not making the "ballot winner" into a character. All of Sakurai and his team's hard work will go unappreciated for months before people come to their senses and realize how great the game's roster is.

You expect people to whine if the ballot turns out to be a sham? You don't say. Can we stop making passive aggressive, blanket statements like "THOSE INSATIABLE FANS WILL WHINE AND ATTACK POOR SAKURAI" in order to deflect criticism away from the game and guilt people into feeling bad for having dissenting opinions? In terms of popularity, Dixie Kong is nowhere near K. Rool's level. That doesn't make her a lesser character. That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be in the game. She's my second most wanted newcomer behind K. Rool himself; but it's foolish to believe that they're just going to take Dixie Kong and pass her off as ballot winner. I mean, technically they could, but everybody would see right through it.

VucVKqN.png

bbUK6aS.png

SaikyoBro

If you had asked me pre-release about Dixie vs. K. Rool I definitely would have sided with Dixie, but I kinda fall in the middle now. It's true that Tropical Freeze is the most recent and most relevant DK game, but a year and a half later it's not like the game made a huge or lasting impact. Don't get me wrong, I adore that game, I beat it over 100%, but I don't think it made nearly as big of a splash as DKC Returns did. One of the biggest points in her favor was that Tropical Freeze was a big upcoming game, but now it's a year and a half old. They wouldn't be promoting a new game anymore, they'd just be adding Dixie Kong.

And don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of merit to adding her; it's another female character, she's still the most relevant choice for a DK character, she had her own game, she's in lots of promotional material with DK and Diddy, and she'd probably take less work than K. Rool. That being said, K. Rool is overwhelmingly the most popular ballot newcomer (not counting Shovel Knight or Banjo-Kazooie or Shantae or whatever) and it's clear that, for better or worse, people want him more.

Sakurai almost definitely prefers Dixie, but I'm not sure if he's going to be doing this DLC based on what he wants above what the fans are asking for. I'm not arguing that there's going to be a "ballot winner" or whatever because I'm pretty sure they're not taking that thing entirely seriously, but I do think the data they're taking away from it is going to indicate K. Rool is the more popular choice by a long shot, and take that as meaning he would end up selling more. I think it could go either way but I'd be happy to see either or even both of them.

I didn't want to believe it at first, but maybe the Chorus Kids really were AI-intensive characters and cut for the same reason as the Ice Climbers. Thanks, 3DS.

Did people imagine them like that? I always thought they were going to be one "character" with a three-character model. Well, who knows, really.

Neiteio

Ryu, to me, is so amazing. Light/medium/heavy attacks, command inputs, a crumple move (with new crumple animations for every character), FADC, a shield-breaker, two Final Smashes, etc... He's like the work of several characters in one. He plays like a dream, too. You can know how to use only half of his toolbox and still have a blast.

I want to see Sakurai try and top what he did with Ryu. I had no idea how he could still surprise us after characters like Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt, etc., but then along comes Ryu with so many options. Just amazing.

Really looking forward to the next newcomer, whoever it may be. Right now I love this game more than ever, thanks in part to the DLC.

For me it's Wolf and Ice Climbers. The roster won't feel complete without them. They were vets since Melee, extremely unique, fun to use and watch and I really, really wanna see how they'd play in Smash 4's environment. If Sakurai can work out the technical issues I will love him forever.

Add Chorus Kids and I agree. Rhythm Heaven as a series belongs in Smash.

I'm confident Wolf will arrive this fall to coincide with Star Fox Zero.

As for anyone else...I dunno, maybe Dixie. I'd like to think the Ballot has some purpose (at the very least, it lasting until October means the DLC team will be busy for a while)

mStudios

King K. Rool should stay where he is at now:
Dead

Also, I'm like 100% sure that they will announce the next DLC Character in August, whenever they do the Tournament DLC Patch Smash Direct. Then they will announce the Ballot winner.

For me it's Wolf and Ice Climbers. The roster won't feel complete without them. They were vets since Melee, extremely unique, fun to use and watch and I really, really wanna see how they'd play in Smash 4's environment. If Sakurai can work out the technical issues I will love him forever.

I've surrendered to myself that Ice Climbers won't be back this time.

I do have to say though, an Ice Climbers reveal would probably be the hypest DLC reveal they could do, just because most people have given up hope on them.

Hello guys! New junior guy here looking to join the GAF speculation scene for Smash's upcoming DLC--hoping for K. Rool and Wolf personally.

If you had asked me pre-release about Dixie vs. K. Rool I definitely would have sided with Dixie, but I kinda fall in the middle now. It's true that Tropical Freeze is the most recent and most relevant DK game, but a year and a half later it's not like the game made a huge or lasting impact. Don't get me wrong, I adore that game, I beat it over 100%, but I don't think it made nearly as big of a splash as DKC Returns did. One of the biggest points in her favor was that Tropical Freeze was a big upcoming game, but now it's a year and a half old. They wouldn't be promoting a new game anymore, they'd just be adding Dixie Kong.

And don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of merit to adding her; it's another female character, she's still the most relevant choice for a DK character, she had her own game, she's in lots of promotional material with DK and Diddy, and she'd probably take less work than K. Rool. That being said, K. Rool is overwhelmingly the most popular ballot newcomer (not counting Shovel Knight or Banjo-Kazooie or Shantae or whatever) and it's clear that, for better or worse, people want him more.

Sakurai almost definitely prefers Dixie, but I'm not sure if he's going to be doing this DLC based on what he wants above what the fans are asking for. I'm not arguing that there's going to be a "ballot winner" or whatever because I'm pretty sure they're not taking that thing entirely seriously, but I do think the data they're taking away from it is going to indicate K. Rool is the more popular choice by a long shot, and take that as meaning he would end up selling more. I think it could go either way but I'd be happy to see either or even both of them.

Interesting analysis, chiefly the bit about Dixie and her relevance in Tropical Freeze kind of fading in comparison to all the old DKCs released anew on the VC, which feature both her and King K. Rool. I don't understand why Sakurai "almost certainly" prefers Dixie though, she was just a cut duo add-on almost a decade ago that he didn't bother revisiting.

So what then are you suggesting? That the ballot isn't going to be utilized at all for this game, merely for future titles, even though the website specifically says:

I don't buy it.

Nobody said that either. How I would imagine this actually works:
  • Ballot.
  • Data from ballot is aggregated in a sensible manner.
  • Sakurai is given the summary of the ballot.
  • Sakurai sakurandomly takes his previous ideas and checks what's high on the ballot.
  • Sakurai sakurandomly browses through other characters high in the ballot in case he, you know, skipped somebody obvious and easy to implement.
  • All in all, Sakurai selects whatever he finds adequate, which may for example result in one character taken from the ballot (but not necessarily the first place), one previous idea confirmed as popular in the ballot, and one precious idea that wasn't mentioned in the ballot that much at all.
  • Nintendo selects appropriate ballot quotes for character promotion.
  • The rest of ballot is archived for next Smash.

Tyeforce

I suppose that could have been the case...but that's no reason to drop the concept of a Rhythm Heaven character entirely. =/ A move set could easily be made for a single Chorus Kid or Marshal... I just don't understand why Sakurai wouldn't do it...

Neiteio

I've surrendered to myself that Ice Climbers won't be back this time.

I do have to say. An Ice Climbers reveal would probably be the hypest DLC reveal they could do, just because most people have given up hope on them.
Expect the unexpected with Sakurai. He aims to surprise and delight. There's no telling what this madman will do.

I mean, this is the guy who once indicated that characters from fighting games weren't eligible for Smash. BOOM — Ryu! He once said characters like Villager and Mii Fighters aren't appropriate for Smash. BOOM — Villager and Mii Fighters! No one saw Wii Fit Trainer coming. Or all seven Koopalings alongside Bowser Jr. in the Junior Clown Car. Or Duck Hunt incorporating Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley. Or Rosalina being a stand/puppeteer character with Luma. Or multiple reps from the same third-party (Mega Man and Ryu).

I mean, can you imagine how GAF would've reacted if someone said Ryu is coming but didn't have leftover data to prove it? It would go beyond mere skepticism to automatic dismissal such as, "He's a fighting game character," "There's already a Capcom rep," etc. So what I'm trying to say is, sometimes we think we know the rules of Smash — what kind of characters get in, and in what ways — but really, Sakurai can redefine this stuff at the drop of the hat. There's really no telling who he will add next.

So in other words

Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

After Roy's huge makeover that skyrocketed him to top tier, I wonder what they'd do to this little guy to make him interesting
Pichu_SSBM.jpg

If he came back, only Ice Climbers would remain.

Toon Link is Young Link and nobody will tell me otherwise

If there's room for 6 more characters with a minor adjustment to the CSS, I think Pichu, based 100% on Melee nostalgia, could potentially come back.

Neiteio

There's no guarantee the top vote-getter of the Fighter Ballot will become a character. They never said that's how it works. It's probably more like, "You guys tell us who you want, and then Sakurai will pick the character he thinks works best."

So if the results are:

1) King K. Rool

56) Dixie Kong

and Sakurai thinks Dixie Kong is the first "reasonable" character who would work well the way he wants, then Dixie Kong would be it.

And I say this as someone who wants K. Rool. Although I wouldn't turn down Dixie. Basically, the DKC trilogy was a huge part of my childhood, so I just want more of that!

KingBroly

Banned
After Roy's huge makeover that skyrocketed him to top tier, I wonder what they'd do to this little guy to make him interesting
Pichu_SSBM.jpg

If there's room for 6 more characters with a minor adjustment to the CSS, I think Pichu, based 100% on Melee nostalgia, could potentially come back.

Toon Link will be replaced by Young Link in the next Smash game due to the 3DS remakes. I'm calling it now.

I'd rather not have Pichu come back. He's worse than Pikachu in every way, and is essentially a joke character.

In terms of characters I want in Smash and am voting for: Ridley, Impa and Nabbit.

javadoze

Pichu_SSBM.jpg

Best character? Best character.

Pichu's attacks will now do 50% damage to opponents and to himself simultaneously.

Neiteio

If the Smash fanbase hadn't convinced itself that Ridley is impossible (and I'm not saying he's possible — I believe Sakurai when he says he would be incredibly challenging), then I think Ridley would be the runaway winner right now, based on past polls and his notoriety in general.

Ryce

In Ryce's scenario, Wolf and Dixie Kong are the only two remaining DLC characters, and neither of them are going to "win" the ballot. Your scenario definitely sounds more plausible.
My point is that there is nothing to "win." The ballot isn't a high-security election; it's merely a suggestion box and a way for fans to reach Sakurai without flooding his Twitter. I'm just trying to be cautionary -- all of this widespread talk about "ballot winners" is premature and certain to lead to disappointment. It was never stated that the survey would have a direct impact on the DLC choices.

There's no guarantee the top vote-getter of the Fighter Ballot will become a character. They never said that's how it works. It's probably more like, "You guys tell us who you want, and then Sakurai will pick the character he thinks works best."

So if the results are:

1) King K. Rool

56) Dixie Kong

and Sakurai thinks Dixie Kong is the first "reasonable" character who would work well the way he wants, then Dixie Kong would be it.

And I say this as someone who wants K. Rool. Although I wouldn't turn down Dixie. Basically, the DKC trilogy was a huge part of my childhood, so I just want more of that!
Fair point, but you have to keep in mind that DLC has to sell. Claiming that "the Smash fanbase will buy every character regardless" when there is evidence to suggest otherwise doesn't really fly.

Roo

Ice Climber (3DS) / Ice Climbers (Wii U)

Didn't Sakurai say 8 players Smash exists because of the lack of Ice Climbers?
Unless the game prevents players from selecting Ice Climbers over 4 times*, it's pretty much guarantee Ice Climbers are not coming back this gen.

*Not sure how many are required before we see frame drops, slowdowns, etc.

I'd rather not have Pichu come back. He's worse than Pikachu in every way, and is essentially a joke character
Well they can fix that. Make him a lighter, faster Pikachu with very fast attacks that don't hit as hard. Cap his self damage at 50% and limit it to only Smash attacks and Specials that cause it (and only at 1% a pop).

They managed to turn Roy from borderline joke character who was far worse than Marth in every way and made him a beast.

Didn't Sakurai say 8 players Smash exists because of the lack of Ice Climbers?
Unless the game prevents players from selecting Ice Climbers over 4 times*, it's pretty much guarantee Ice Climbers are not coming back this gen.

*Not sure how many are required before we see frame drops, slowdowns, etc.

He's never mentioned Ice Climbers in the context of 8 player Smash. Only that they were working on the Wii U, but they couldn't dedicate the resources to make them work on the 3DS. He never really outright said the 3DS was impossible, just they weren't a big enough series to dedicate the time and that as it stood, it was a challenge they couldn't overcome to get them working.

Which to me means they were in fact working in 8 player, as 8 player is so ingrained into the game modes and map designs that they'd basically have to had been developing 8 player right along with Ice Climbers since the beginning.

NeonZ

Toon Link will be replaced by Young Link in the next Smash game due to the 3DS remakes. I'm calling it now.

I don't think Toon Link is going anywhere. Zelda Triforce Heroes is using the Toon Link design again, and Hyrule Warriors Legends is going to add Wind Waker characters. So, it doesn't look like Nintendo is phasing out that design.

Neiteio

Fair point, but you have to keep in mind that DLC has to sell. Claiming that "the Smash fanbase will buy every character regardless" when there is evidence to suggest otherwise doesn't really fly.
In the case of K. Rool vs. Dixie, in particular, and on the topic of "who would sell," Nintendo might reason that strong K. Rool support in the Fighter Ballot is more reflective of Smash enthusiasts and not mainstream players. Both will buy DLC, so they might see love for K. Rool as love for DKC in general, and then reason that Dixie (a much bigger "star" who has appeared as recently as Tropical Freeze) would also sell well, and perhaps be more relevant and/or interesting as a character.

I'm just saying, manage your expectations. Sakurai hasn't promised us anything, other than that more stuff is on the way.

Roo

He's never mentioned Ice Climbers in the context of 8 player Smash. Only that they were working on the Wii U, but they couldn't dedicate the resources to make them work on the 3DS. He never really outright said the 3DS was impossible, just they weren't a big enough series to dedicate the time and that as it stood, it was a challenge they couldn't overcome to get them working.

Which to me means they were in fact working in 8 player, as 8 player is so ingrained into the game modes and map designs that they'd basically have to had been developing 8 player right along with Ice Climbers since the beginning.

Interesting. I could have sworn I read that somewhere.
Oh well, we won't see them this gen anyway.

I feel like most here are a lot more optimistic than I am, is there any reason to figure that Dixie would fall into what could be one of these last potential spots? because aside from the ol' Spainkiller rumour nothing really has ever pointed to her for Smash 4.

Other than that she should be in there in the first place of course.

I think it's wrong to assume that the character who gets the most votes is who they'll end up turning into a fighter. It's a popularity contest, yes, but Sakurai has said in the past that popularity isn't everything, and even the ballot mentions that they'll "consider" turning the suggestions into fighters.

I figured that they're just going to use this to gauge popularity, view some of the more frequent choices and decide amongst themselves whether or not they fit or deserve to appear. There's probably a reason they picked a format where we have no idea who's really leading, and why I don't think they'll ever offer that information. They don't want people saying "X got in over Y despite having fewer votes? What bullshit!"

Ryce

I feel like most here are a lot more optimistic than I am, is there any reason to figure that Dixie would fall into what could be one of these last potential spots? because aside from the ol' Spainkiller rumour nothing really has ever pointed to her for Smash 4.

Other than that she should be in there in the first place of course.
  1. She was planned for Brawl as a tag team character. This shows that the tough-to-predict Sakurai at least considers Dixie Kong worthy of being playable in Smash Bros.
  2. Like Mewtwo, Dixie Kong’s return to prominence came just a little too late to impact the on-disc roster. Unlike Mario Kart 8 and Yoshi’s Woolly World, which have stages and song remixes, Sakurai probably didn’t know anything about Tropical Freeze during the early planning of this game. All Tropical Freeze has is a few trophies (the first few enemies publicly revealed) and song rips.
  3. I really don’t think we’re going to reach six DLC characters without one of them being female, and Dixie Kong is Nintendo’s most notable female character not already in the game. Just look at every other fighting game: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, PlayStation All-Stars, Injustice, and Mortal Kombat X each have at least one female DLC character.
It's mostly just intuition, but no prospective newcomer stands out to me as much as Dixie Kong.

They don't want people saying "X got in over Y despite having fewer votes? What bullshit!"
Unfortunately, people are already doing that based on unofficial Reddit/Smashboards exit polling.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I
Snake is DEEEEEEEAD

I know! ;_; I don't really expect him to be back in this game but it would be nice if he make his appearance tho.

Yeah I don't think I need to temper my expectations here with DLC.

That's what I think. It just seems to me that Sakurai is very eager to bring back vets. That's why I'm betting so much on Ivysaur and Squirtle, as well as Ice Climbers.

I think you should temper your expectation a lot. I'm sorry but I would like to believe that I just saw a word, "betting." Sooo, what about avatar bet? :p

Meh, I'm already satisfied with the roster as it is. But hey, wouldn't mind if there's one or two DLC characters.

Well, I already am satisfied with the roster at launch day but heck, those dlc characters are making it even much better. I'm very pleased with downloadable contents. I have no regrets that I send a lot of money on it.

I'm still secretly hoping that we get a Rhythm Heaven character, with the two Rhythm Heaven songs appearing on Miiverse being excused because the Rhythm Heaven stage that comes along with the Rhythm Heaven character is synced to music and thus tied to a specific song so, like Hanenbow in Brawl, it doesn't have any alternate music, and they threw song extra Rhythm Heaven songs on Miiverse to compensate. I know, it's a crazy stretch, and I should probably just abandon all hope now, but I'm just so disappointed that we didn't get a Rhythm Heaven character after learning that one was planned at one point... It would be so perfect. =( I suppose it was always too good to be true... =/

Aside from that, I'm having a hard time guessing which other DLC characters we'll be getting. Characters that once seemed like obvious choices now seem like impossibilities (Rhythm Heaven, Inkling, etc.), and beyond Wolf, I just don't know what to expect. Either Dixie Kong or King K. Rool may be expected at this point, but I just don't know anymore. I feel like Sakurai's looking at DLC character with a different mindset or something, because so far the choices have been, well...not as expected at all, beyond Mewtwo. Not that they're crazy choices or anything, but it just doesn't seem to be the kind of additions that Sakurai is known to value. Like, a Rhythm Heaven character would be so unique and totally something that Sakurai would like to go through with...and since one was already planned at one point, why aren't we getting that as DLC? I dunno, it just doesn't make sense...

What if those musics for Miiverse stage is red herring? *foil hat on*

Anyway, they might felt that Chorus Kids as DLC wouldn't sell that much so they might save the character for next sequel, like they did with Villager and Mii.

I think they might go with popular characters this time because of sales power. It's possible that they believe that people wouldn't buy the characters if it's not what majority wanted.

But again, Roy and Lucas.

For some reason, I always felt that they were three characters into one hurtbox but you could be right that it might be AI-intensive.

Ryu, to me, is so amazing. Light/medium/heavy attacks, command inputs, a crumple move (with new crumple animations for every character), FADC, a shield-breaker, two Final Smashes, etc... He's like the work of several characters in one. He plays like a dream, too. You can know how to use only half of his toolbox and still have a blast.

I want to see Sakurai try and top what he did with Ryu. I had no idea how he could still surprise us after characters like Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt, etc., but then along comes Ryu with so many options. Just amazing.

Ryu is pretty amazing newcomer, and I really enjoy playing with him. Everything about Ryu is just perfect in Smash universe.

Just let you know that Crumble animation isn't exactly new since they are Stamina animations.

Rooligan

Neo Member
I really don’t think we’re going to reach six DLC characters without one of them being female, and Dixie Kong is Nintendo’s most notable female character not already in the game. Just look at every other fighting game: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat 9, PlayStation All-Stars, Injustice, and Mortal Kombat X each have at least one female DLC character.

I really don't feel like having a semantics argument over the rest for the hundredth time.

All of the games you mentioned also have villain DLC, (Shuma Gorath, Kreuger, Zeus, Zod, Jason) and this game is far more lacking in villains than females, much less heavyweights. The political correctness quota has already long since been met.

Pompadour

If we get Wolf and a new DK rep then I'll be satisfied with only two more DLC characters from now.

Snake is DEEEEEEEAD and the IC are taking a break Sakurai doesn't want to bring them out of for this game. Squirtle and Ivysaur are meh; neat if they get back in, but they're the only original movesets I'm not losing sleep over. Splatoon representation is probably stuck with that trophy and Mii costume until Inkling can headline Smash 5.

I'd like to see Sakurai make them playable on the New 3DS and Wii U. That should be doable and would still fulfill is previously stated commitment that their would be roster parity between platforms, sort of.

Ryce

I really don't feel like having a semantics argument over the rest for the hundredth time.

All of the games you mentioned also have villain DLC, (Shuma Gorath, Kreuger, Zeus, Zod, Jason) and this game is far more lacking in villains than females, much less heavyweights. The political correctness quota has already long since been met.
Smash will also have villain DLC: Wolf.

Neiteio

Ryu is pretty amazing newcomer, and I really enjoy playing with him. Everything about Ryu is just perfect in Smash universe.

Just let you know that Crumble animation isn't exactly new since they are Stamina animations.
Ah, forgot about Stamina Mode! Thanks for the corrections. Still cool, though!

And re: Dixie, I think we can all agree she should chew bubblegum and blow bubbles for her idle animation.

Neiteio

Here's what will happen. I know because my Uncle Jimtendo works at Nintendo:

We'll get a few more DLC characters for Smash.

And then...

The NX will launch with a "DX" edition of Smash. Consolidates the WiiU and 3DS content. Includes all DLC. And adds some new characters. Like Ice Climbers. And Chorus Kids.

When it happens, you can thank my Uncle Jimtendo.

Neiteio

I want Kaptain K. Rool over King K. Rool but I'll take what I can get :l
Yeah, if I could have it my way, K. Rool would be like Wario, where the "quirky" costume is the default. So in this case, Kaptain by default, with the King as the alternate.

I know that in Wario's case, the reason is he's better known by his WarioWare appearance these days, but still.

Here's what will happen. I know because my Uncle Jimtendo works at Nintendo:

We'll get a few more DLC characters for Smash.

And then...

The NX will launch with a "DX" edition of Smash. Consolidates the WiiU and 3DS content. Includes all DLC. And adds some new characters. Like Ice Climbers. And Chorus Kids.

When it happens, you can thank my Uncle Jimtendo.

I was thinking about a "DX" version of Smash earlier today... Thought it would be sweet if, in addition to palette swaps, you could also change the character model to previous Smash iterations. For example, swapping Smash DX Link for his N64 version and facing him against Brawl Ganondorf. As for the characters, like Ganondorf, that don't have a complete back catalogue, they could have versions made, so you could play as N64-style Wii Fit Trainer and Wolf.

In the case of K. Rool vs. Dixie, in particular, and on the topic of "who would sell," Nintendo might reason that strong K. Rool support in the Fighter Ballot is more reflective of Smash enthusiasts and not mainstream players. Both will buy DLC, so they might see love for K. Rool as love for DKC in general, and then reason that Dixie (a much bigger "star" who has appeared as recently as Tropical Freeze) would also sell well, and perhaps be more relevant and/or interesting as a character.

I'm just saying, manage your expectations. Sakurai hasn't promised us anything, other than that more stuff is on the way.

Wouldn't you be able to say the same thing about Roy and Lucas and Ryu? Also, might is the kicker here. They might think K. Rool is the hardcore fan's choice, but then again, they might see the hardcore fans as the ones to listen to, like they have tried to do with the tournaments they've held and FD mode and some balance changes.

I kind of like Dixie as a character but it feels like a lot of people are just unable to let go of the reasoning from 2014 that declared her an 100% lock.

Wish we knew more about the ballot too.

Neiteio

Wouldn't you be able to say the same thing about Roy and Lucas and Ryu? Also, might is the kicker here. They might think K. Rool is the hardcore fan's choice, but then again, they might see the hardcore fans as the ones to listen to, like they have tried to do with the tournaments they've held and FD mode and some balance changes.

I kind of like Dixie as a character but it feels like a lot of people are just unable to let go of the reasoning from 2014 that declared her an 100% lock.

Wish we knew more about the ballot too.
RE: Roy and Lucas: They're veterans. Whole different story. They already have a history with Smash, people who mained them and were attached to them, etc. They're "popular" by default. As Smash characters, if nothing else.

Ryu is freaking Ryu. He's one of the most beloved videogame characters of all time. Star of a SNES game that sold more than A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Mr. Fighting Games Himself.

Ryu also has an orange gi for precious Goku points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom