• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isaac has no foot in the door. Goroh has Falcon to recommend him!

*cut to scene of Falcon whispering in Sakurai's ear*

Falcon: "Falcon WHISPER!"

I heard that Goroh at least sent his resume to Sakurai (a dirty napkin that said " I cut stuff and drive fast. 'Nuff said. Goroh.") along with a FALCON REFERENCE!! letter

After Mario Kart and this Amiibo board game thing I feel confident that Isabelle is going to be a fighter in the next Smash Bros. Nintendo seem to love her.

SaikyoBro

After Mario Kart and this Amiibo board game thing I feel confident that Isabelle is going to be a fighter in the next Smash Bros. Nintendo seem to love her.

It's an interesting idea and she's probably the most prominent Animal Crossing character at this point besides the playable character, but Villager already represents just about every aspect of that series perfectly. I wouldn't be interested in having Isabelle as a clone and I don't think there are enough quirky Animal Crossing things left to give her an entirely unique moveset, especially considering they already had to stretch some stuff for Villager (gyroid rocket, fireworks, boxing gloves, bowling ball). The best idea I've seen is to have her fight using assorted furniture but I think that's kind of a cheap way to do it.

For the time being I'm perfectly happy with just Villager.

I quite agreed with you. I think Villager is just perfect representative of the franchise, and they should leave it alone for now.

Next game though

super_smash_bros_wii_u_isabelle.jpg

Ryce

Isabelle is best suited as an assist trophy. She's literally an assistant in New Leaf. Throwing fruit from the sidelines suits her personality perfectly.

If Villager gets New Leaf proportions in Smash 5, then Isabelle, Nook, and other series characters would make great alts.

Kind of like a mash up. First 8 alts are human villagers, the other 8 are animal ones. Costume wise, it's a combination of Bowser Jr. and Little Mac I guess. 16 alts, 8 of which are separate characters with unique names and faces. The great part is you don't even have to use voice clips. Just the Animalese sounds from AC.

Isabelle is best suited as an assist trophy. She's literally an assistant in New Leaf. Throwing fruit from the sidelines suits her personality perfectly.

But now she's a racer in Mario Kart - not just assisting Villager :v

But nah, they're clearly building her up as this awesome character, they'll make her work. They could even make her have a sad face if she damages Villager.

The best second AC rep imo is a Neighbor that has skins of different neighbors you can be with different species and what not.

It would fight like a semi-clone villager.

Neiteio

Just make Isabelle a semi-clone of Villager, with some tweaked moves (i.e. a tether recovery with the fishing rod!) and a new Final Smash ("Public Works!").

Yeah there's plenty of AC stuff for a clone. Bell bags, fish and bugs, the fishing rod (oddly absent from Villager), furniture popping up, and more in sure I'm missing.

I agree though that it really shouldn't be a priority.

RomanceDawn

If the Smash fanbase hadn't convinced itself that Ridley is impossible (and I'm not saying he's possible — I believe Sakurai when he says he would be incredibly challenging), then I think Ridley would be the runaway winner right now, based on past polls and his notoriety in general.

My thoughts exactly. So sad but if he ever came to be playable, this period of "all is lost" will make the triumph so much sweeter. But gadzooks man being a fan and supporter of Ridley is just as hard as it ever was. It used to be just the typical Smash in fighting/civil wars but now the negativity and pessimism has spread to many Ridley supporters as well. People who used to "campaign" with me have just completely given up, telling me there is no point and I shouldn't waste my vote. I'm thinking, maybe not for this game but how about the next? No way this massive amount of data from all over the world won't be considered for years to come!

Shit, make Isabelle a moveset that's only based on Happy Home Designer. Dash attack? Pushing furniture forward! All the other moves could be based on furniture placements, kind of a more expanded version of Villager's tree annoyance.

Richie

Fuck Dixie Kong and King K Rool, let's get Cranky Kong as DLC!

I'd main Cranky and pay whatever his asking price was.
BUT.
I'd pay even more to have him as a Resetti-sque AT that tosses shade on the whole cast and in modern game tendencies in general.

Also it has been awhile since I post a picture of currently tarot cards. According to the artist, it was inspired by CardCaptor.

I'll confess to it, I was hooked with CardCaptors back when I was a teen. These are freakin' awesome.

Hatchtag

Banned
The best second AC rep imo is a Neighbor that has skins of different neighbors you can be with different species and what not.

It would fight like a semi-clone villager.

It's either going to be Isabelle or Tom Nook if we ever get a new AC rep. Isabelle seems more likely with the fan following she has, but Tom Nook's greedy self seems like it could have a funnier moveset.

jph139

Before Smash 4 was release, there were four "iconic" Nintendo characters that I felt were necessary for a complete roster: Little Mac, Villager, Mii, and Dixie Kong. So at this point I'm just waiting on Dixie Kong. Once she's included I'll be completely content with the Smash roster - any further additions are gravy.

As time goes on I suspect that Inkling will join the "icon" bracket. And I think it's pretty likely that Isabelle will get there, too. And I think Wolf should make a return, too; he's on that list, somewhat remotely but above Lucas and Roy for sure.

But for now I just want Dixie.

SaikyoBro

Why won't they release costumes for the characters that aren't mii? It seems like such a no brainer.

I get the feeling Sakurai doesn't like the idea of radical costume changes unless it represents an entirely separate character (Koopalings, Alph, Wireframe Mac) or a gender flip of a customizable avatar (Robin, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer). I guess the only exceptions are Wario and Little Mac since the plumber outfit/pink hoodie are so iconic.

I get the feeling part of it is the idea that he wants consistency to some degree. Like, look at Project M - as cool as a lot of those alts are, they're all over the place. Some of them have recolors, some of them don't, some of the characters still don't have anything at all. Sakurai probably feels like if he does DLC outfits for one character he'll have to do it for every character and for whatever reason (a lot of the characters don't have a whole lot of options without making some serious creative stretches) doesn't want to bother with that.

That's all just my take on it anyways. Personally I think it's a fun idea.

Neiteio

This is random, but I just want to take a moment to observe that so many of us (including myself) overthought and overcomplicated what they would call Roy (from Fire Emblem) because of Roy (the Koopaling). In the end, they just called them both... Roy.

I remember when we would debate here what they might call FE Roy. If not for the leak, I bet many people would've continued to think that FE Roy was not possible simply because another character in the game already had his name.

It just goes to show that the "rules" we come up with in Smash can change at a moment's notice.

This is random, but I just want to take a moment to observe that so many of us (including myself) overthought and overcomplicated what they would call Roy (from Fire Emblem) because of Roy (the Koopaling). In the end, they just called them both... Roy.

I remember when we would debate here what they might call FE Roy. If not for the leak, I bet many people would've continued to think that FE Roy was not possible simply because another character in the game already had his name.

It just goes to show that the "rules" we come up with in Smash can change at a moment's notice.

Also lol @ FE Roy wrecking Koopaling Roy in the reveal trailer.

Zubz

Banned
If the Smash fanbase hadn't convinced itself that Ridley is impossible (and I'm not saying he's possible — I believe Sakurai when he says he would be incredibly challenging), then I think Ridley would be the runaway winner right now, based on past polls and his notoriety in general.

I mean, like, I didn't give up. Although I voted for, like, 4 different characters at 4 different times on 4 different devices, though, so I voted for Wonder Red, Sami, and Ice Climbers, too. Of course, I think F-Zero deserves a second rep... I don't think I've voted on the Ballot using my phone yet, have I? Because Samurai Goroh's still a character I'd love to see as DLC/in Smash 5!

Also, I 100%'d the 3DS version and I never noticed that about R.O.B.'s eyes are supposed to turn green when he's hit! Huh. I hope they fix that glitch with the next patch!

Azure J

I mean, like, I didn't give up. Although I voted for, like, 4 different characters at 4 different times on 4 different devices, though, so I voted for Wonder Red, Sami, and Ice Climbers, too. Of course, I think F-Zero deserves a second rep... I don't think I've voted on the Ballot using my phone yet, have I? Because Samurai Goroh's still a character I'd love to see as DLC/in Smash 5!

Also, I 100%'d the 3DS version and I never noticed that about R.O.B.'s eyes are supposed to turn green when he's hit! Huh. I hope they fix that glitch with the next patch!

I definitely threw down votes for Takamaru, Lip, Wonder Red and the Inklings myself. I even did TeamGonzo a solid and donated a vote for K. Rool. :p

JazzmanZ

More like it goes to show nobody can predict Sakurai at all.

Neiteio

More like it goes to show nobody can predict Sakurai at all.
Yep. And I think Sakurai wants it this way, because he feels surprise is exciting. I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to tell a white lie, here and there, if it meant managing expectations such that he could exceed them (or subvert!).

Zubz

Banned
... I just noticed. Those tarot cards have "The Pirate" on them, and the fact that Viridi has a card shows that the artist isn't just sticking to confirmed fighters here... Granted, it may end up being Tetra or Captain Syrup, but I think this artist is about to make Gonzo's day coming up here.

I didn't think he was impossible, just a really boring idea for a DLC veteran to bring back when you already had Lucina filling in as a Marth clone.

I was wrong about him being boring (funnily enough I play as him wya more than any other FE rep now), but five FE reps is still something I didn't imagine would be a possible outcome back in '13 when SSB4 got revealed.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I found this article fascinating because it really show where Sakurai came from.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/...akurai-on-fighting-games-skill-gaps-and-more/

... I just noticed. Those tarot cards have "The Pirate" on them, and the fact that Viridi has a card shows that the artist isn't just sticking to confirmed fighters here... Granted, it may end up being Tetra or Captain Syrup, but I think this artist is about to make Gonzo's day coming up here.

That's Wolf. It's in cut character section.

I don't know what it would take to have a complete roster, some characters I previously might not have thought of became favourites when they were put in smash. Having said that my main wanted list would be:
-Ice climbers
-Wonderboy
-Majora (skull kid)
-Ganon
-Bomberman
-Plok
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur
-Andy (AW is long overdue for a rep)
-Wolf
-Boo
-hector (fire emblem, no moar swords)
-V joe or wonder red
-inklings (not even a fan but feel they deserve a spot)
-Shy guy
-King K Rool

There are others I would like that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Whilst those are my favourite choices I also like surprises, always look forward to new smash content.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah there's plenty of AC stuff for a clone. Bell bags, fish and bugs, the fishing rod (oddly absent from Villager), furniture popping up, and more in sure I'm missing.

I agree though that it really shouldn't be a priority.
Technically it does in Villager's final smash. If you pause at the right moment you'll see furniture being thrown into the new house.

Amazing art, however some of the names are a bit cringeworthy and don't fit well in the tarot scheme ("the knockout").
Also 'The Strongman' (made up) but not 'The Strength' (real)?

Neiteio

This would be amazing:

August update:

- Wolf and Snake
- Tournament Mode
- Peach's Castle 64
- Hyrule Castle 64
- Shadow Moses Island

The two most-wanted veterans (each named after an animal, and each dark in style). Snake could capitalize on the hype for MGSV (similar to how Snake in Brawl was right around the time of MGS4). They could leave out the codecs and just recycle his Brawl voice clips if Hayter is an issue. Konami could make a killing on Snake DLC. I would imagine Ryu DLC has proven lucrative for Capcom. Like Ryu and Suzaku Castle, Shadow Moses would be bundled with Snake.

If packaged as part of a Nintendo Direct, they could also have a trailer for Star Fox Zero, making the Wolf tie-in more sensible.

To be clear: I don't expect this to happen. But it would be amazing!

And then how about this:

October update:

- Squirtle (with new Down Special and Final Smash)
- Ivysaur (with new Down Special and Final Smash)
- Saffron City 64
- Fight Ballot update

Again, not expecting this, but it's fun to picture it. :)

Parshias7

If the majority of the Sm4sh character DLC is veteran characters, I'll be pretty disappointed.

I'm cool with Wolf coming back, but I don't want DLC to just be a dumping ground for old characters that Sakurai couldn't fit into the regular development schedule. I want it to be a dumping ground for NEW characters that Sakurai couldn't fit into the regular development schedule!

Ryce

If the majority of the Sm4sh character DLC is veteran characters, I'll be pretty disappointed.

I'm cool with Wolf coming back, but I don't want DLC to just be a dumping ground for old characters that Sakurai couldn't fit into the regular development schedule. I want it to be a dumping ground for NEW characters that Sakurai couldn't fit into the regular development schedule!
There are probably a lot more cut veterans than cut newcomers, though, and veterans are much easier to make. The on-disc roster is approximately 1/3 newcomers, and I suspect DLC will follow a similar trend -- if we get 6 DLC characters then 2 will be newcomers, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom