• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

javadoze

Here's what will happen. I know because my Uncle Jimtendo works at Nintendo:

We'll get a few more DLC characters for Smash.

And then...

The NX will launch with a "DX" edition of Smash. Consolidates the WiiU and 3DS content. Includes all DLC. And adds some new characters. Like Ice Climbers. And Chorus Kids.

When it happens, you can thank my Uncle Jimtendo.

I have a strong feeling that this will happen. Especially if the NX cuts the WiiU's life short. It'd honestly make more sense to just expand on what Smash4 did and up-port it with the DLC.

Neiteio

There was a serious missed opportunity to even just tease about the ballot in the Smash Direct
Imagine the madness if they showed a close-up of a pupil. "This is a sneak peak at the next DLC newcomer!" We'd be here going crazy trying to deduce if it's Dixie's eye or K. Rool's eye. Then it would turn out to be Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

There was a serious missed opportunity to even just tease about the ballot in the Smash Direct

Ya, not even a reminder of "The ballot's still out there, guys, keep voting!"

Putting on a tinfoil hat, the silence on the ballot means that they've seen the characters it is favoring and are okay with it, or have made up their minds from its early votes which there are likely more of anyway.

Imagine

Dixe Kong

Down Taunt

She jams on her guitar from DKC2

And re: Dixie, I think we can all agree she should chew bubblegum and blow bubbles for her idle animation.
I need it!

I want Kaptain K. Rool over King K. Rool but I'll take what I can get :l
If they ignore the blunderbuss potential I might actually cry, it'll be like Wario for me all over again.

Wouldn't you be able to say the same thing about Roy and Lucas and Ryu? Also, might is the kicker here. They might think K. Rool is the hardcore fan's choice, but then again, they might see the hardcore fans as the ones to listen to, like they have tried to do with the tournaments they've held and FD mode and some balance changes.

I kind of like Dixie as a character but it feels like a lot of people are just unable to let go of the reasoning from 2014 that declared her an 100% lock.

Wish we knew more about the ballot too.

That username tickled me, someone get this man a 90's rendered avatar stat.

I still tend to think the main thing in Dixie's favour on the whole isn't so much Tropical Freeze but DKC3 and 2 as well to an extent seeing that they still get kept in mind through the VC, of course TF still helps by having the ol' modern relevance point but her leading role seems like her strongest point even if it was back in 1996.

If they ignore the blunderbuss potential I might actually cry, it'll be like Wario for me all over again.

Blunderbuss game 2stronk. He has like four different projectiles, can use it to dash, could use it as a thruster for his recovery move, can bash with it... Give me a Flying Krock stage along with him and we'll be good to go (though Bramble Scramble would also be acceptable).

Neiteio

Best case scenario:

Dixie Kong

-and-

K. Rool

K. Rool is Kaptain by default. King is his alternate. Wields a blunderbuss.

Both characters are bundled together, along with a stage: Crocodile Isle.

"I am a habitual liar," Sakurai admits, in reference to the "I don't think we can make many more stages" line.

In fact, Crocodile Isle is a traveling stage. Fly from Gangplank Galleon to Crocodile Cauldron, then Krem Quay, Krazy Kremland, Gloomy Gulch, K. Rool's Keep, the Flying Kroc and the Lost World. Each the size of Palutena's Temple. Each with their own Omega form. Each individually selectable. Each with fully orchestrated arrangements composed by Wise, with guest appearances by Kirkhope and Beanland.

A new item is Rambi the Rhino. Squitter can be seen chilling in the back of the Crocodile Cauldron stage. There is a Lanky Kong AT, because why the hell not.

There is a DK Coin hidden in each stage. It does nothing, but it looks cool.

Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down as DK, Diddy, Dixie or K. Rool to make Cranky Kong appear in a text box and start berating you about how back in his day, Street Fighter was the closest thing they had to Smash and they didn't even have pits to fall into, and they liked it.

Ryce

[...]and for Ryu, he reconciled Smash's two-button scheme with the six buttons and command inputs of Street Fighter. Honestly, after playing Ryu, I'm convinced Sakurai can do nearly anything.
I missed this post earlier, but speaking of Ryu’s implementation, I wonder if his “tap for light attack, hold for heavy attack” mechanic was inspired by SF1’s punch pad.
Instead of buttons, the Street Fighter upright cabinets came with punch pads - one for punches, one for kicks - that delivered light, medium, or heavy attacks depending on how hard and fast it was mashed.
That would be an obscure little nod that nobody’s picked up on.

In fact, Crocodile Isle is a traveling stage. Fly from Gangplank Galleon to Crocodile Cauldron, then Krem Quay, Krazy Kremland, Gloomy Gulch, K. Rool's Keep, the Flying Kroc and the Lost World. Each the size of Palutena's Temple. Each with their own Omega form. Each individually selectable. Each with fully orchestrated arrangements composed by Wise, with guest appearances by Kirkhope and Beanland.

iG7ahsYi7cJyA.gif

Blunderbuss game 2stronk. He has like four different projectiles, can use it to dash, could use it as a thruster for his recovery move, can bash with it... Give me a Flying Krock stage along with him and we'll be good to go (though Bramble Scramble would also be acceptable).
You could make an entire moveset with just the Kaptain's tricks, that's how versatile that blunderbuss is and I think they'd be mad to ignore it especially as a projectile focused heavyweight is a unique niche.

Bramble Scramble sounds great until you consider the stage would get the Sakurai treatment, two wooden plank platforms with brambles in between, overhead, at the side, touch them and get knocked around for like 10 seconds of percentage accumulation annoyance that no will want to play.

Imagine the madness if they showed a close-up of a pupil. "This is a sneak peak at the next DLC newcomer!" We'd be here going crazy trying to deduce if it's Dixie's eye or K. Rool's eye. Then it would turn out to be Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

SmashGAF would have gone out and invented the CSI magic resolution-maker software just to find out whose pupil it belonged to

Ya, not even a reminder of "The ballot's still out there, guys, keep voting!"

Putting on a tinfoil hat, the silence on the ballot means that they've seen the characters it is favoring and are okay with it, or have made up their minds from its early votes which there are likely more of anyway.

Or they're still having fistfights over which ballot winner they should go with

What if Wolf got added, that would be a great idea.

I don't know who you are, but I will find you... and give you a high five

What if Wolf got added, that would be a great idea.

I have him as a guarantee, but it's still unknown whether he'll just show up as a wanted veteran or if they'll have the gall to claim he was from the ballot when he was always planned for the game.

Key word: "Consider"

To me this seems like a loophole for if the trolls online make a horrible character win like Shrek, or less horribly, some dumb third party indie character. That way Nintendo doesn't have to openly dump on those character fans, they can just say "we considered them and maybe it'll happen later, wink wink." For them to veto a first party with that many votes would take some act of God, I think, since there's no outright problems with them.

Neiteio

You could make an entire moveset with just the Kaptain's tricks, that's how versatile that blunderbuss is and I think they'd be mad to ignore it especially as a projectile focused heavyweight is a unique niche.

Bramble Scramble sounds great until you consider the stage would get the Sakurai treatment, two wooden plank platforms with brambles in between, overhead, at the side, touch them and get knocked around for like 10 seconds of percentage accumulation annoyance that no will want to play.
Sakurai would probably also add this jerk to the Bramble Scramble stage:

latest

Music would be dope, though

I still tend to think the main thing in Dixie's favour on the whole isn't so much Tropical Freeze but DKC3 and 2 as well to an extent seeing that they still get kept in mind through the VC, of course TF still helps by having the ol' modern relevance point but her leading role seems like her strongest point even if it was back in 1996.

Using old games as a point in Dixie's favor doesn't really make any sense.

Donkey Kong Country - Just K. Rool
Donkey Kong Country 2 - K. Rool + Dixie
Donkey Kong Country 3 - K. Rool + Dixie
Donkey Kong Land - Just K. Rool
Donkey Kong Land 2 - K. Rool + Dixie
Donkey Kong Land III - K. Rool + Dixie
Donkey Kong 64 - Just K. Rool

The only thing Dixie has over K. Rool is recency, and Tropical Freeze is the worst selling game in the DKC series by far. Funny, since people like to justify the overabundance of Fire Emblem: Awakening representation by bringing up its sales. Is everybody going to suddenly bandwagon to K. Rool if he appears in a hypothetical third DKC game by Retro Studios? We shouldn't even have to be arguing over this, as both characters should have been in the base roster as far as I'm concerned. The near unanimity that there needs to be a new DK representative proves that Sakurai got it wrong. But nobody is perfect, I guess. Brawl had an incredible lineup of newcomers.

Key word: "Consider"

What else are they supposed to say? "Suggest a character and they'll definitely appear as DLC in the future!" I can't wait to play as Shrek.

In the case of K. Rool vs. Dixie, in particular, and on the topic of "who would sell," Nintendo might reason that strong K. Rool support in the Fighter Ballot is more reflective of Smash enthusiasts and not mainstream players. Both will buy DLC, so they might see love for K. Rool as love for DKC in general, and then reason that Dixie (a much bigger "star" who has appeared as recently as Tropical Freeze) would also sell well, and perhaps be more relevant and/or interesting as a character.

I'm just saying, manage your expectations. Sakurai hasn't promised us anything, other than that more stuff is on the way.

Perhaps, but half of the confirmed DLC characters are in the game because of Smash enthusiasts.

The only thing Dixie has over K. Rool is recency, and Tropical Freeze is the worst selling game in the DKC series by far. Funny, since people like to justify the overabundance of Fire Emblem: Awakening representation by bringing up its sales. Is everybody going to suddenly bandwagon to K. Rool if he appears in a hypothetical third DKC game by Retro Studios? We shouldn't even have to be arguing over this, as both characters should have been in the base roster as far as I'm concerned. The near unanimity that there needs to be a new DK representative proves that Sakurai got it wrong. But nobody is perfect, I guess. Brawl had an incredible lineup of newcomers.

What else are they supposed to say? "Suggest a character and they'll definitely appear as DLC in the future!" I can't wait to play as Shrek.

Oh come now, DKCTF was on the worst-selling Nintendo console of all time (barring Virtual Boy). Considering the fact that Mario Kart 8 is the worst-selling Mario Kart, shouldn't we take that to mean that the Wii U is the problem, not Tropical Freeze?

The point on Fire Emblem is that Fire Emblem sells only so much as standard, and DKCTF sold only that much because of its platform.

I have him as a guarantee, but it's still unknown whether he'll just show up as a wanted veteran or if they'll have the gall to claim he was from the ballot when he was always planned for the game.

This idea of Nintendo completely lying about the ballot winners is really silly, and without precedent as far as I know. People thought they were going to do this for Ryu and Roy when their data was originally found, but they didn't.

I don't know why we need an update on it. The ballot's not closed until October, which gives me the impression they'll be supporting this game for a while, regardless of how much extra content we get.

Anyway, as far as the question of "who else do you need for Smash to feel complete"...

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Takamaru
Chorus Kids (or another RH rep)
Tingle
Captain Syrup
King Hippo
Andy (or another Advance Wars rep)
Isaac
King K. Rool
Inkling
Dixie Kong

This is a long-term list of eventual things that I'd like to see happen, like across the next two games (and Captain Syrup, Tingle, and King Hippo are long-shot characters that I put a lot of value into). In the short term, like in this game's DLC, the essential additions are...

Ice Climbers
Wolf
King K. Rool
Chorus Kids

Ryce

A new section will probably go up on the site in October where Sakurai will post a bunch of survey responses and reply to some of them, just like he did with the first three games.

We should ponder how Sakurai could screw up great things like DKC2 themed stages based upon his infatuation with stage hazards, it's like a game in itself!

Hornet Hole: Half the floor is sticky honey that you can't move on so you have to jump everywhere, periodically King Zing just blitzes the stage with the knockback of Pikmin's Peckish Aristocrab.

Slime Climb: eternal upwards scrolling stage with the snapjaw ever present in the water below, dude one shots you like the ultimate chimera.

Jungle Jinx: It has no remixes of primal rave, just DK Island Swing again and it's not even the tribal jungle theme visually. Also giant tires of bouncy death.

Bonus: Frozen DK Island from Tropical Freeze, it's just the existing Jungle Hijinx stage just covered in ice that makes you trip.
Why does this now seem probable to me?

Well I'm not stating it as reasons for Dixie over K.Rool, I think K.Rool should be in for that exact lineup of boss roles (and there's still stuff like King of Swing/Jungle Climber as well).
But dare I try to predict Sakurai character choice logic (a fools game I know), he tends to take leads and secondary characters before villains going by our anaemic villain selection.
Dixie has been both a lead and support which is neat.

Oh come now, DKCTF was on the worst-selling Nintendo console of all time (barring Virtual Boy). Considering the fact that Mario Kart 8 is the worst-selling Mario Kart, shouldn't we take that to mean that the Wii U is the problem, not Tropical Freeze?

The point on Fire Emblem is that Fire Emblem sells only so much as standard, and DKCTF sold only that much because of its platform.

Don't get me wrong; the Wii U's install base is at fault here, not the quality of the game. Tropical Freeze's comparatively low sales are completely expected. I just don't understand this whole notion that K. Rool is for enthusiasts only and Dixie Kong is somehow a more "mainstream" candidate when K. Rool has appeared in more games, appeared in every episode of the DKC cartoon, and the best selling game in the series (by far) is the original Donkey Kong Country, which Dixie Kong didn't appear in.

To me this seems like a loophole for if the trolls online make a horrible character win like Shrek, or less horribly, some dumb third party indie character. That way Nintendo doesn't have to openly dump on those character fans, they can just say "we considered them and maybe it'll happen later, wink wink." For them to veto a first party with that many votes would take some act of God, I think, since there's no outright problems with them.
are you telling me Shrek doesn't deserve to be in smash

Neiteio

OK, K. Rool moveset time.

Kaptain is default costume, King is alternate.

B button shoots the blunderbuss. A cannonball, but it can be charged up to become a spiked ball that becomes like a bumper on the battlefield, or charged up further to become a "spirit ball" (the ectoplasm from DKC2), which can do... something. Slow-down or reversing controls might be a bit much.

Forward B throws the Kaptain's hat, which is redesigned to feature Oddjob-like blades. It launches outward and returns to him like a boomerang. When you play as the King, he instead throws his crown in classic DKC1 fashion. Same hitboxes and properties, of course.

Up B is a rocket recovery with his blunderbuss. He can actually direct it to travel horizontally or even backwards away from opponents while still facing them. Can roast enemies caught in the jet-thrusters.

Down B would set a Klaptrap on the ground who scuttles forward nipping at people's heels, like a Mecha-Koopa but hitting multiple times with mild pushback.

I wonder if all the kids holding out hope for Shrek know of that one PS2/XBOX/GC Shrek fighting game I played a demo of once, it may make their day.

edit: imagine how cheese the control reversing blob would be as an edgeguarding tool, yeah I doubt K.Rool would get to bring that one in.

Javier

They specifically say video-game character, though. Shrek is not eligible by default.

My point is that being the most voted character in the ballot, even if you're a first-party video-game character, doesn't mean said character will make it in. My guess is that Sakurai has his own list of potential characters he'd like to see in the game, and he's using the ballot as a guide of which characters of his (Sakurai's) list he will eventually choose as DLC characters.

Another thing I doubt is Sakurai waiting until the ballot period is over to fully decide on a character to add as DLC. That would mean starting a character from scratch in October, and said character wouldn't be ready until... May/June 2016 at the least? I really doubt the DLC is going to last that long.

Anyway, as far as the question of "who else do you need for Smash to feel complete"...

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Takamaru
Chorus Kids (or another RH rep)
Tingle
Captain Syrup
King Hippo
Andy (or another Advance Wars rep)
Isaac
King K. Rool
Inkling
Dixie Kong

This is a long-term list of eventual things that I'd like to see happen, like across the next two games (and Captain Syrup, Tingle, and King Hippo are long-shot characters that I put a lot of value into). In the short term, like in this game's DLC, the essential additions are...

Ice Climbers
Wolf
King K. Rool
Chorus Kids
You. I like you. Though I'd toss in Waluigi and a second F-Zero representative as well for personal reasons.

Even though all of the DKC sequels are better than the originals (1 and Returns), they get entirely ignored in Smash not counting the Bramble Blast song. That would point to K. Rool as the next in line, since he's in 1 and in 64.

are you telling me Shrek doesn't deserve to be in smash

His oniony gloriousness would be too much for poor pitiful Smash.

OK, K. Rool moveset time.

Kaptain is default costume, King is alternate.

B button shoots the blunderbuss. A cannonball, but it can be charged up to become a spiked ball that becomes like a bumper on the battlefield, or charged up further to become a "spirit ball" (the ectoplasm from DKC2), which can do... something. Slow-down or reversing controls might be a bit much.

Forward B throws the Kaptain's hat, which is redesigned to feature Oddjob-like blades. It launches outward and returns to him like a boomerang. When you play as the King, he instead throws his crown in classic DKC1 fashion. Same hitboxes and properties, of course.

Up B is a rocket recovery with his blunderbuss. He can actually direct it to travel horizontally or even backwards away from opponents while still facing them. Can roast enemies caught in the jet-thrusters.

Down B would set a Klaptrap on the ground who scuttles forward nipping at people's heels, like a Mecha-Koopa but hitting multiple times with mild pushback.

I'd like a vacuum attack somewhere, maybe forward B?

For his dash attack, have him propel himself forward with the blunderbuss like in DKC2. Could be similar to ZSS' dash attack.

Oh Kaptain, my Kaptain :3

Neiteio

Even though all of the DKC sequels are better than the originals (1 and Returns), they get entirely ignored in Smash not counting the Bramble Blast song. That would point to K. Rool as the next in line, since he's in 1 and in 64.
That's true, I'm not sure Sakurai even knows DKC2 and DKC3 exist. I think the Dixie Kong trophies, leftover data, and Bramble Scramble remix were just meddling by the intern, who was probably promptly scolded — "Those games don't exist! Why is this not DK Island Swing!" — only to realize the game had already gone gold.

Neiteio

I'd like a vacuum attack somewhere, maybe forward B?

For his dash attack, have him propel himself forward with the blunderbuss like in DKC2. Could be similar to ZSS' dash attack.

Oh Kaptain, my Kaptain :3
The vacuum would be his grab. Suck opponents into his blunderbuss, then launch them out.

I thought about making the rocket boost his side special but I felt like I needed to include a hat/crown-throwing boomerang attack in reference to DKC1, so I just made it so the up special can rocket-boost in any direction. Up B, quickly followed by Forward B. Think Greninja's Hydro Pump.

You know what? I would be okay with not getting a Rhythm Heaven rep if it meant that every newcomer in the next Smash would be a villain.

You. I like you. Though I'd toss in Waluigi and a second F-Zero representative as well for personal reasons.

<3

Also yeah I forgot an F-Zero rep. Personally I want Jody Summer because shit, who's going to anticipate that? And how awesome would it be to have a character who does takedown attacks and stuff???

Oh also forgot about Isabelle and Toon Zelda and Kumatora

I'll never be satisfied

Neiteio

If they add another F-Zero character, it has to be Samurai Goroh, because he pilots the raddest vehicle in the series (Fire Stingray) and because he looks like Ozzy Osbourne with an inexplicable six-pack beer belly.

Also, whenever he's in play, the background music should change to the character select screen theme from F-Zero X.

javadoze

Why do I feel like the only reason the N64 stages are being brought back is because they fit the criteria of:

-being able to be used between WiiU and 3DS
-being able to be used for 8-player smash
-aren't really all that complex to remake

Neiteio

For a second F-Zero rep, I'd go down the predictable route and say Black Shadow, give him Capt. Falcon's moveset, and finally give Ganondorf a moveset that represents him
Ganondorf ain't changing. He's established.

Really, Samurai Goroh is next in line for F-Zero, if they make another F-Zero character. He's an AT, so he's ripe for promotin'.

Fandangox

F-Zero is not popular enough for a second rep, plus the Captain perfectly represents F-Zero type gameplay with his speed and rushdown-oriented playstyle.

However that does not excuse the fact that we only got ONE new remaster and it was fucking Mute City again.

Neiteio

Why do I feel like the only reason the N64 stages are being brought back is because they fit the criteria of:

-being able to be used between WiiU and 3DS
-being able to be used for 8-player smash
-aren't really all that complex to remake
They're bringing them back so they can justify the overworld theme from SM64 and the Hyrule Castle theme from ALBW, which is A-OK in my book

Neiteio

F-Zero is not popular enough for a second rep, plus the Captain perfectly represents F-Zero type gameplay with his speed and rushdown-oriented playstyle.

However that does not excuse the fact that we only got ONE new remaster and it was fucking Mute City again.
Oh, yeah, I'm not expecting a new F-Zero character. I'm just saying that -if- anyone were to be a second rep, it should be Samurai Goroh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom