• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
Shuuuuush, let me dream about Set 2 DLC.

Anyway, serious question here.

Why people suddenly jump on PIchu Train now? If I have to make a decision between Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu, then I would go with Ivysaur over other two pokemon. I'm still not sure if we would see any of those three pokemon.

Like people said, because Roy is on now, and you know how melee fans are.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Honestly, it'd be cool if Sakurai threw out a curve ball, giving us another retro character like Sukapon/Mach Rider/Some other retro (unrelated to the ballot).

or give us Isaac, so IntelliHeath can lose his shit. Lol

I wish, Batty.

If they add Wolf, Snake, Isaac and Takamaru. I don't know what would happens to my body XD

Chance of that happening is like .000001%

Hey, I voted for Excitebiker, and I'm still pulling for Excitebiker.

Both a more important franchise than Murasame Castle and a more interesting moveset potential, so suck it, Takamaru. lol

L Thammy

Whoa, I never realized that Mach Rider started out as a toy. This makes me want to see him in Smash. Just give him Snake's moveset!

Him? Mach Rider might have been a her; the picture of that woman is gradually revealed on the arcade version. And it came out before Metroid, by the way.
The toy's actually a localized version of a Hasbro toy. It's from 1972, older than the Duck Hunt toy.

Zubz

Banned
I secretly hope that Sakurai ignores the ballot and just adds in someone awesome that no one knows about. And Mach Rider totally fits the bill:

Mach Rider was one of my most wanted characters going into the game! This is a character that'd need an updated design, so it might take awhile to add her, but personally, I'd flip my lid if Mach Rider made it in! If you want to argue because of the toy, one could say she's the only Nintendo character older than Game & Watch, so that'd be pretty cool to see, as well. Although granted, it might give them more reason to save her as the Retro Revival character, like Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt.

Bomberman.

Bomberman is all I want.

Bomberman is all I need.

I swear if he gets in I will main him no matter how he plays.

That'd be pretty incredible, too. Thinking about him being unable to get into Smash because Konami bought Hudson and then proceeded to... be Konami, just angries up my blood now, though.

Him? Mach Rider might have been a her; the picture of that woman is gradually revealed on the arcade version. And it came out before Metroid, by the way.
The toy's actually a localized version of a Hasbro toy. It's from 1972, older than the Duck Hunt toy.

Force of habit :v I actually usually call Mach Rider a she, but when everyone defaults to him for the character, it's easy to slip up.

I wonder when Nintendo will start working on the next Smash? Considering how much of a success this one was (relative to the console's sales), I can't imagine that they're not thinking about getting a Smash game developed for NX as soon as possible. They might even take this game and basically give it a massive update.

Pizza

I wonder when Nintendo will start working on the next Smash? Considering how much of a success this one was (relative to the console's sales), I can't imagine that they're not thinking about getting a Smash game developed for NX as soon as possible. They might even take this game and basically give it a massive update.

That's what I'd want! No need to wipe the slate clean again imo. Just add in more characters and both version's stages (plz) and drop it as an nx title and I'd be golden, ponyboy

Merc_

Why did people suddenly jump on PIchu Train now? If I have to make a decision between Squirtle, Ivysaur and Pichu, then I would go with Ivysaur over other two pokemon. I'm still not sure if we would see any of those three pokemon.

It's pretty much just balladofwindfishes who seems to want Pichu back. If we had to have more vets I would prefer we get the ones that are interesting and unique which are both things Pichu isn't.

Neiteio

Going forward, I would prefer they just upgrade the current Smash. Change the "for __" in the title but essentially use everything from WiiU/3DS as a base, and simply continue to add more characters, content, balance tweaks, etc. The more characters, stages, etc., there are, the more "dream scenarios" we can create. So no need to start from scratch. What we have is already great. Just build on it.

That's what I'd want! No need to wipe the slate clean again imo. Just add in more characters and both version's stages (plz) and drop it as an nx title and I'd be golden, ponyboy

*nods* If they did that, we could have the biggest and best Smash game. Bring the 3DS stages into the fold, add in a bunch of new and old stages, bring back Break the Targets, make a better Stage Builder mode, maybe even make a new adventure mode!

It's pretty much just balladofwindfishes who seems to want Pichu back. If we had to have more vets I would prefer we get the ones that are interesting and unique which are both things Pichu isn't.

Hey, I'd absolutely take Pichu back.

Going forward, I would prefer they just upgrade the current Smash. Change the "for __" in the title but essentially use everything from WiiU/3DS as a base, and simply continue to add more characters, content, balance tweaks, etc. The more characters, stages, etc., there are, the more "dream scenarios" we can create. So no need to start from scratch. What we have is already great. Just build on it.

I dunno if it was coincidence that you made this post or you were just continuing the discussion that just occurred. :p I agree though, the engine is pretty good, there's no need to spend another cycle coming up with a brand new thing that might be worse, would take more time to do, and would take more balancing and recreation of the same content.

The trains a coming, CHU CHU. Actually based on some stuff I've seen around the Internet, Pichu isn't really all that unpopular. Most of the stuff people complain about were also applicable to Roy and that turned out great.

And after Roy, there's no reason to believe Pichu couldn't be interesting or unique.

1. I want the entire Melee crew back. Pichu is the last character cut from Melee who never returned or was effectively replaced.
2. We need more Pokemon that aren't just from the 1st generation. The second gen is basically ignored in Smash.

And while I like Pichu a lot (I think it just needs to be less of a joke character), if I had to choose a Pokemon to represent gen 2, I'd probably go Celebi. Celebi was a super popular and rare Pokemon, it's Grass-type (which we are sadly lacking), and it could be a tiny, fast, floaty character. Also its Final Smash could do something cool with time travel or some shit (though I'm guessing Sakurai would just rip off Shulk's counter attack and make it Celebi's Down B :p).

It's just so wholly unnecessary to have Pichu back, just for the sake of nostalgia. It's the one character in Smash history that just needs to stay where it is. I like the Pokémon and all, but it just seems like an utter waste of time. I would take Pichu back only after every single other vet returned.

If NX really is coming soon, then Super Smash Bros. for NX could just be a big port of the Wii U game + Some 3DS Content + All DLC.

It really makes a lot of sense. Now that they have a good DLC platform in place, they could support this game for a long while (as long as Sakurai still wants to). And since Smash 4 plays like a dream to me, that is very exciting.

It's just so wholly unnecessary to have Pichu back, just for the sake of nostalgia. It's the one character in Smash history that just needs to stay where it is. I like the Pokémon and all, but it just seems like an utter waste of time. I would take Pichu back only after every single other vet returned.

If NX really is coming soon, then Super Smash Bros. for NX could just be a big port of the Wii U game + Some 3DS Content + All DLC.

It really makes a lot of sense. Now that they have a good DLC platform in place, they could support this game for a long while (as long as Sakurai still wants to). And since Smash 4 plays like a dream to me, that is very exciting.

What if they added Emolga instead of Pichu

Neoxon

The issue with that while we like the physics of Smash 4, a good number of people don't.

L Thammy

On the subject of awesome curveball characters and how we wasted our votes, I voted for ST Falcon from Battle Clash and Metal Combat. Will never happen, but it's so cool. Coolest series that Intelligent Systems has ever made. Screw all you guys.

story_bhjbzr.gif

b_falrolwz.gif

title2bi8l0y.gif

ST Tornado is an obvious alt colour:

The issue with that while we like the physics of Smash 4, a good number of people don't.

Granted, but I don't think that a new Smash game would necessarily make for better physics. I think that this could end up being Sakurai's "perfect" vision of how Smash operates, and frankly, I prefer this to the possibility of getting another Brawl fiasco (which is much more likely than getting a game that plays like Melee).

On the subject of awesome curveball characters and how we wasted our votes, I voted for ST Falcon from Battle Clash and Metal Combat. Will never happen, but it's so cool. Coolest series that Intelligent Systems has ever made. Screw all you guys.

ST Tornado is an obvious alt colour:

My votes were ALL about being a waste, haha. The only people I voted for were Sami from Advance Wars, Jill from Drill Dozer, Captain Syrup from Wario Land, King Hippo from Punch-Out!!, and Tingle from The Legend of Zelda.

Call me weird but I'd rather have Pichu as opposed to Squirtle or Ivysaur just because he had his own character slot. The other two just feel like half characters to me even though they are unique. I know that's an odd way of looking at it but there you go. I kind of actually don't want Squirtle and Ivysaur back.

Edit: I feel like Charizard now represents that slot and that having the other two will just be too much.

Give me Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Pichu (in that priority order) and this to me is the perfect game. Anything on top is an added bonus and I would kill for Bomberman.

Call me weird but I'd rather have Pichu rather than Squirter or Ivysaur just because he had his own character slot. The other two just feel like half characters to me even though they are unique. I know that's an odd way of looking at it but there you go. I kind of actually don't want Squirter and Ivysaur back.

Give me Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Pichu (in that priority order) and this to me is the perfect game. Anything on top is an added bonus and I would kill for Bomberman.

At the same time though, the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur are missing two moves gives us the opportunity to have characters that are more than just familiar faces.

This would be the ideal scenario for me:

DLC Pack 1: Mewtwo
DLC Pack 2: Lucas, Roy, and Ryu + Dream Land (64), Miiverse, and Suzaku Castle
DLC Pack 3: Wolf + Peach's Castle (64), and Hyrule Castle (64)
DLC Pack 4: King K. Rool and Dixie Kong + Gangplank Galleon
DLC Pack 5: Rayman + The Fairy Glade

I'm not sure why people are saying there's a "pattern" of one Melee veteran, one Brawl veteran, and one newcomer. Patterns aren't established until something happens multiple times.

Neiteio

If that's the case. Then screw Pichu and give us fully unique characters like Squirtle/Ivysaur. :3
I love me some Pokeymanz. Gotta have 'em all!

But if I -had- to pick from the Pokemon vets...

Mewtwo would be No. 1. Thank you, Based Sakurai, for already fulfilling this wish.

No. 2 would be Squirtle. So much fun to play in Brawl. Sliding around in the shell, riding the wave of water, pushing back fools with water. The way he twirls and tumbles through the air. SO GOOD.

No. 3 would be Ivysaur. I love how he felt like an anti-air tank, running on all fours, firing seeds up into the air. I love how he manipulates items (and enemies) with his vines. SO GOOD.

No. 4 would be Pichu. Melee nostalgia and cuteness overload! And you better believe Pichu would sell like hotcakes. It's a goddamn baby Pikachu. License to print money!

Neoxon

I'm not sure why people are saying there's a "pattern" of one Melee veteran, one Brawl veteran, and one newcomer. Patterns aren't established until something happens multiple times.
The problem is that I honestly can't see King K. Rool getting in without the ballot. And given the falling-out between Nintendo & Ubisoft, I don't Rayman will ever get in. Though in the case of Rool, he's doing very good in the ballot, but that doesn't end until October.

I don't want Pichu, Squirtle or Ivysaur. Give me Sceptile and it's the perfect Pokemon lineup. The 2 "original 12" Pokemon, 3 third evolution starters from different generations, first gen legendary pokemon, 4th gen's most popular Pokemon. Each one represents a different type. Electric, Fairy, Water, Fire, Grass, Psychic and Fighting.

People thought that there was a pattern going on because Mewtwo was announced and then Lucas was announced.

Anyway, my ideal (but not too ideal) scenario would be

1. Mewtwo
2. Lucas, Roy, Ryu
3. Wolf
4. King K. Rool
5. Mach Rider, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Rhythm Heaven rep

Neoxon

This is what I think will happen.

• August Update: Wolf & 1 Non-Ballot Mystery Character (I'm thinking either the Inklings or the Chorus Kids, but Sakurai could surprise us)
  • February 2016 Update: 3-4 Ballot Characters (King K. Rool likely being one of them, along with the Inklings if they aren't the Non-Ballot Mystery Character)
I'm only saying February 2016 because they need to tally the results come October, weigh their options, & get started on the characters. After this, I think Sakurai will stop Smash 4 DLC altogether.

Neiteio

My ideal list:

August: Wolf, Ice Climbers and Snake: BOOM! Ice Climbers are still a pair but reworked, Olimar-style, to function on WiiU and 3DS. Snake is the big surprise, bundled with Shadow Moses Island. No codecs, and VA is recycled from Brawl, but he's a great surprise, and timely too, with MGSV coming out in September. (Not unlike Snake in Brawl around the time of MGS4). And Wolf is Wolf. The three most wanted veterans, no doubt.

October: Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur: The Pokemon pack. Saffron City 64 is also presented, updated with models popping out of the building. Another stage is Pokemon Stadium 1, which first appeared in Melee and would also work well on 3DS (where there are no stadium stages). All three Pokemon now have their own Final Smashes. Squirtle and Ivysaur each have a new Down Special move.

December: Dixie Kong and K. Rool: For a Christmastime Direct, Sakurai unveils the winners of the Fighter Ballot, planned for release in Spring 2016. The two DKC characters were among the top vote-getters and Sakurai agreed they'd make interesting characters.

Zubz

Banned

Hey, there's characters I want more, but I'd love to see Pichu come back! And Pichu had that risk/reward system of damaging itself. If it was balanced instead of being used as a joke, I could see Pichu being an interesting character. Wolf isn't a mechanically interesting vet, Ice Climbers are screwed because of roster parity, Snake's screwed because of Konami (Although they could give his moves to another character, like an Advance Wars rep...), and the other 2 Pokemon are low-key Gen 1's in a game glutted with them.

Again, as much as I'd love Ivysaur more than any of those characters, Squirtle's not coming back without the Pokemon Trainer gimmick returning because it's not popular enough to stand alone. Ivysaur's even less popular. Out of everyone we're missing, Pichu and Wolf are the only ones that have a really good chance. I definitely expect Wolf, but I'm starting to feel Pichu coming back, too.

What if they added Emolga instead of Pichu

You know, I would actually prefer it. Pachirisu, Emolga, Plusle/Minun (alts for each other) would all be better. I like Pichu, I just have an admittedly irrational dislike of it as a Smash character.

Actually, I would really love Plusle and Minun (not as a joint character, but as alts) since they were supposed to replace Pichu in Brawl. They were kind of a "serious" attempt at a Pika clone pokemon. Though it would be cool to see them paired, the 3DS says no to that.

I don't agree that a "good number" don't. I'd say there are a few who genuinely just have qualms, but I think a very vocal portion of the Smash 4 Physics haters are just the same small group that say Sakurai is a hack.

But I think the balance is amazing, the physics are great, and the only thing lacking is repayable single player content.

The problem is that I honestly can't see King K. Rool getting in without the ballot. And given the falling-out between Nintendo & Ubisoft, I don't Rayman will ever get in. Though in the case of Rool, he's doing very good in the ballot, but that doesn't end until October.

My list assumes that K. Rool is the lone first party ballot winner, and Rayman is the third party ballot winner. Ubisoft seems willing to cooperate, and they're one of the few third party publishers still releasing games for Wii U. Yeah, Rayman Legends was ported to other platforms. So what? Maybe we'll get extremely lucky and receive multiple ballot characters, in which case I'd like:

First party:

1. King K. Rool
2. Isaac
3. Inkling

Third party:

1. Rayman
2. Snake
3. Shantae/Banjo-Kazooie/Crash Bandicoot/Shrek

I'd be pretty insulted if I were a Nintendo employee, considering how many people are bandwagoning to random third party characters like Shovel Knight and Sora. I really wish they would clarify how the ballot works.

Pizza

*nods* If they did that, we could have the biggest and best Smash game. Bring the 3DS stages into the fold, add in a bunch of new and old stages, bring back Break the Targets, make a better Stage Builder mode, maybe even make a new adventure mode!

If they added arcade mode, adventure mode, and stages I'd be so damn happy. I'm really happy with the roster and it can only get better if they do smash 4.5 instead of doing everything over AGAIN

My list assumes that K. Rool is the lone first party ballot winner, and Rayman is the third party ballot winner. Ubisoft seems willing to cooperate, and they're one of the few third party publishers still releasing games for Wii U. Yeah, Rayman Legends was ported to other platforms. So what? Maybe we'll get extremely lucky and receive multiple ballot characters, in which case I'd like:

First party:

1. King K. Rool
2. Isaac
3. Inkling

Third party:

1. Rayman
2. Snake

I'd be pretty insulted if I were a Nintendo employee, considering how many people are bandwagoning to random third party characters like Shovel Knight and Sora. I really wish they would clarify how the ballot works.

It's not too surprising considering there's around ~45 Nintendo characters that the 46th Nintendo character might get fewer votes than the second Sega or the first Konami or the first Ubisoft or *insert company here*

I am personally sort of biased when it comes to Pokemon. As I don't care about the games too much, I mostly think about them as potential roster diversity expanders... but I don't know much about them, so what I say probably doesn't make much sense to everyone else. So naturally, from the vets I prefer the Ivysaur (which could end up as a Venusaur if I understand correctly, or would that annoy somebody?), because there's not much plant-based fighting in Smash.

On the other hand, I have an interest in not putting Ivysaur/Venusaur in for precisely the same reason, since I think other grass starter evolutions (Torterra, Serperior) have greater nonsensoleum potential thanks to their (Smash-)unorthodox body shapes and putting Ivysaur in would dampen their chances. Decisions decisions. Good that I'm not making them, I'd put Serperior in and have a lot of people complain it's too generic or something.
#WrongSnake

First party:

1. King K. Rool
2. Isaac
3. Inkling

Third party:

1. Rayman
2. Snake

Oh come now, Shovel Knight isn't random. People got onto his bandwagon because a lot of people liked him, his game was SUPER well-received, and is one of the best-rated 3DS and Wii U games.

Not to like blatantly bash people's preferences since what with my Rare preferences I've heard to expect that all the time in this board, but it feels like when people support Pichu and Young Link, it's like they're trying to wear Crocs to a fashion show and be like "haha look at what I'm wearing instead of what I could be wearing!"

I hope we get Wolf and K. Rool in a villains set then Isaac and Bandana Waddle Dee in a weapon user set.

Oh come now, Shovel Knight isn't random. People got onto his bandwagon because a lot of people liked him, his game was SUPER well-received, and is one of the best-rated 3DS and Wii U games.

Rayman Legends (Wii U) Metascore: 93
Shovel Knight (Wii U) Metascore: 88

Shovel Knight was my second favorite game of 2014, but I don't think starring in one game is a good enough résumé. All of the other third party characters have legacies and historical significance, hence Ryu's inclusion.

Not to like blatantly bash people's preferences since what with my Rare preferences I've heard to expect that all the time in this board, but it feels like when people support Pichu and Young Link, it's like they're trying to wear Crocs to a fashion show and be like "haha look at what I'm wearing instead of what I could be wearing!"

I hope we get Wolf and K. Rool in a villains set then Isaac and Bandana Waddle Dee in a weapon user set.

People played as Young Link and Pichu a lot in Melee (Pichu less so of course), so clearly they're going to have a fanbase. People used to group Roy in with those two, and now we can see that Roy's really fun and really popular.

PSqueak

Banned

Also, didn't Shovel Knight release in nintendo platforms before any other platform?

And has that Wii U unique functionality?

People played as Young Link and Pichu a lot in Melee (Pichu less so of course), so clearly they're going to have a fanbase. People used to group Roy in with those two, and now we can see that Roy's really fun and really popular.

Roy has always been more popular than the other two, especially in Japan. Young Link is literally just Toon Link, and Pichu is, well... Pichu. I wouldn't be vocally against the latter, but Young Link would feel like a blatant cash grab.

I hate the idea of playing as "other" versions of existing characters. Dr. Mario is not a character. Dr. Mario is Mario wearing a different outfit. Lucina and Dark Pit are actual characters.

As far as Nintendo newcomers go can we all agree that there are four characters who are far more wanted than the rest? (K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Inkling).

Who comes next though? Is it the likes of Paper Mario, Waluigi, Captain Toad or Ashley? Kamek? Is it possible to come up with another group of characters or is it probably too close to call at that point? A Zelda character? A certain Pokémon?

Also I've always wondered... does Dixie have enough active fans to complete in that first group? I mean.. I want her in, I know she would make sense and is deserving and a great alternative to diddy... but I'd never actually vote for her. Is she more expected than desired or am I mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom