• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So remember when Sakurai said he can't just rip characters from Brawl

Nearly frame to frame identical. That doesn't come from remaking him. He's an updated port.

This was obvious as soon as I realized that all of the past stages were ripped directly from Brawl, including the ones that were originally from Melee. Fourside and Fountain of Dreams are never coming back, are they?

Rayman is practically unknown in Japan, and that's a huge problem for a potential guest character.

To be fair, Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan. The IP isn't super popular, but they know what it is; much like Punch-Out.

In terms of Japanese ballot popularity, the veterans, Waddle Dee, King K. Rool, and Krystal are consistently at the top. Inkling is on the rise as well, which is super exciting. Get working on Spla2oon asap, Nintendo.

Clefargle

Sorry, I can't take any of the wishlists ITT seriously if they omit snake. Fuck subjectivity, Snake is objectively the best choice for returning dlc vet. Most original moveset unused in Sm4sh so far.

U777tnj.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This would be the ideal scenario for me:
I'm not sure why people are saying there's a "pattern" of one Melee veteran, one Brawl veteran, and one newcomer. Patterns aren't established until something happens multiple times.

Yeah, it's just fun for us to discussing about it. I don't really see anything wrong with that, right?

Kouichi

I'm pretty confident that either Snake or Banjo will get the highest votes out of any third party video game character. Heck, I actually believe one of the two is going get the most votes in the end. Snake is obviously the likelier one to get picked despite who gets the most though.

As far as Nintendo newcomers go can we all agree that there are four characters who are far more wanted than the rest? (K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Inkling).

Who comes next though? Is it the likes of Paper Mario, Waluigi, Captain Toad or Ashley? Kamek? Is it possible to come up with another group of characters or is it probably too close to call at that point? A Zelda character? A certain Pokémon?

Also I've always wondered... does Dixie have enough active fans to complete in that first group? I mean.. I want her in, I know she would make sense and is deserving and a great alternative to diddy... but I'd never actually vote for her. Is she more expected than desired or am I mistaken?

It seems like K. Rool and Isaac are leading the pack now with Inkling a short ways behind, but then a big drop off. You have "expected" characters like Dixie and Captain Toad and Chorus Kids to some degree, but in terms of the votes they're getting it's not enough to make them viable outside of Sakurai having them already made or ignoring the dozen or so characters scoring higher to get them.

In general the third parties are probably outscoring all but the most popular veterans, like seriously Shovel Knight and Shantae have some really rabid fans pushing them everywhere. But I kind of write them off because I expect Sakurai (with his high 3rd party standards) to follow suit.

As far as Nintendo newcomers go can we all agree that there are four characters who are far more wanted than the rest? (K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Inkling).

Who comes next though? Is it the likes of Paper Mario, Waluigi, Captain Toad or Ashley? Kamek? Is it possible to come up with another group of characters or is it probably too close to call at that point? A Zelda character? A certain Pokémon?

Also I've always wondered... does Dixie have enough active fans to complete in that first group? I mean.. I want her in, I know she would make sense and is deserving and a great alternative to diddy... but I'd never actually vote for her. Is she more expected than desired or am I mistaken?

You forgot a Rhythm Heaven rep :V

Nearly frame to frame identical. That doesn't come from remaking him. He's an updated port.

Wow, this is a pretty cool video. Makes me feel comfortable that there's no way Wolf won't return, especially with the series having a big(gish) comeback.

This was obvious as soon as I realized that all of the past stages were ripped directly from Brawl, including the ones that were originally from Melee. Fourside and Fountain of Dreams are never coming back, are they?

To be fair, Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan. The IP isn't super popular, but they know what it is; much like Punch-Out.

In terms of Japanese ballot popularity, the veterans, Waddle Dee, King K. Rool, and Krystal are consistently at the top. Inkling is on the rise as well, which is super exciting. Get working on Spla2oon asap, Nintendo.

I'd like to make sure that we at least see all of the Past Stages from Brawl, but... :/

Funny enough, the Mother music cut from Smash 4 works surprisingly well on Fourside.

Fourside
Humoresque of a Little Dog
You Call This a Utopia?

All three work great on Fourside.

Isaac has a fairly sizable fanbase, and Waddle Dee and Krystal are also popular in Japan. Here are Snakey's findings. He's the Roy fanboy who got banned for flaming people. I guess he's having the last laugh, huh?

Japanese popularity as of 2012:

1. Mewtwo (got in as DLC)
2. Roy (got in as DLC)
3. Mega Man (got in)
4. Palutena (got in)
5. Shulk (got in)
6. King K. Rool
7. Dixie Kong
8. Chrom
9. Zoroark
10. Waddle Dee

Funny enough, the Mother music cut from Smash 4 works surprisingly well on Fourside.

Fourside
Humoresque of a Little Dog
You Call This a Utopia?

All three work great on Fourside.

This gives me a glimmer of hope. A few Donkey Kong tracks are missing as well, which they could lazily slap onto a potential Gangplank Galleon stage.

Updated, correct. I'm pretty sure that update did cost them some man-hours though and that's what Sakurai referred to.

Rayman is practically unknown in Japan, and that's a huge problem for a potential guest character.
I guess I can just hope for the regular "never say never" rule realizing itself again.

Sorry, I can't take any of the wishlists ITT seriously if they omit snake. Fuck subjectivity, Snake is objectively the best choice for returning dlc vet. Most original moveset unused in Sm4sh so far.
Sure, he's the greatest omission.

It seems like K. Rool and Isaac are leading the pack now with Inkling a short ways behind, but then a big drop off. You have "expected" characters like Dixie and Captain Toad and Chorus Kids to some degree, but in terms of the votes they're getting it's not enough to make them viable outside of Sakurai having them already made or ignoring the dozen or so characters scoring higher to get them.

In general the third parties are probably outscoring all but the most popular veterans, like seriously Shovel Knight and Shantae have some really rabid fans pushing them everywhere. But I kind of write them off because I expect Sakurai (with his high 3rd party standards) to follow suit.
Where is everybody getting exit polls from?

Neoxon

U777tnj.jpg
The problem is that the person who got Snake in Brawl (Kojima) no longer works at Konami as Snake's inclusion was just a favor for one of Sakurai's friends, plus Nintendo & Konami aren't on the best of terms right now. Though to be fair, Nintendo's only third party friends right now are Sega, Capcom, & Namco (notice the pattern?). I'd say Atlus, but they technically exist under Sega now. Plus Konami has their own shit to deal with right now.

As much as it pains me to say it, Snake's never coming back. The best we can hope for is for another character to take up the mantle of his moveset. There's just too much working against Snake's return. At this point, it'd take a miracle for Snake to come back.

Neiteio

If Sakurai were to approach Konami and say:

"Yo, Ko-drizzle, I wanna put Snake in Smash 4, ya dig,"

and Konami is all like:

"Snake is now voiced by Jack Bauer-san,"

Sakurai would just say:

"NO — we'll just recycle the Hayter Brawl clips,"

and then Konami is all like:

"You say 'no' to us about our character?! Ha! You have no power here!"

and then Sakurai puts on sunglasses and says:

"Fine. Leave that sweet DLC $$$ sitting on the table. I dare you."

and Konami be all like

FE_DA_120823ObamaSweat425x283.jpg

but wiping their brow with $100 bills, before finally saying,

"OK, Sakurai — OK. Snake in Smash. Recycle the VA. It's fine. We just care about money."

I'm sure many people would love to see Snake back. But Konami gonna Konami.

Konami being Konami means I can see this happening.

"You pay us licensing to use Snake and you do all the work of porting him over from Brawl, and we get free publicity for next year's Kojima-less corporate-produced MGS reboot? Cha ching!"

Clefargle

If Sakurai were to approach Konami and say:

"Yo, Ko-drizzle, I wanna put Snake in Smash 4, ya dig,"

and Konami is all like:

"Snake is now voiced by Jack Bauer-san,"

Sakurai would just say:

"NO — we'll just recycle the Hayter Brawl clips,"

and then Konami is all like:

"You say 'no' to us about our character?! Ha! You have no power here!"

and then Sakurai puts on sunglasses and says:

"Fine. Leave that sweet DLC $$$ sitting on the table. I dare you."

and Konami be all like

FE_DA_120823ObamaSweat425x283.jpg

but wiping their brow with $100 bills, before finally saying,

"OK, Sakurai — OK. Snake in Smash. Recycle the VA. It's fine. We just care about money."

This is what I had envisioned

Neiteio

"You pay us licensing to use Snake and you do all the work of porting him over from Brawl, and we get free publicity for next year's Kojima-less corporate-produced MGS reboot? Cha ching!"
Exactly. Konami has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. All stakeholders involved would make boatloads of money off Snake in Smash. They could just straight-up recycle all the stuff from Brawl, including the VA. Easy-peasy.

Neoxon

Exactly. Konami has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. All stakeholders involved would make boatloads of money off Snake in Smash. They could just straight-up recycle all the stuff from Brawl, including the VA. Easy-peasy.
Bare minimum, they'd have to redo the model.

Neoxon

Well of course, but the return on investment is so huge for everyone. Especially Konami, who at the most might have to, what, provide some reference renders?
But the thing is, this is Konami we're talking about. Plus Nintendo burning every third party bridge they once had (sans Sega, Capcom, & Namco) isn't doing them any favors.

Jawmuncher

U777tnj.jpg
True Fact
I can't take people in denial seriously. Sakurai ain't paying Jack Bauer.
If it's straight porting they can use hayter again.
Isaac has a fairly sizable fanbase, and Waddle Dee and Krystal are also popular in Japan. Here are Snakey's findings. He's the Roy fanboy who got banned for flaming people. I guess he's having the last laugh, huh?

Japanese popularity as of 2012:

1. Mewtwo (got in as DLC)
2. Roy (got in as DLC)
3. Mega Man (got in)
4. Palutena (got in)
5. Shulk (got in)
6. King K. Rool
7. Dixie Kong
8. Chrom
9. Zoroark
10. Waddle Dee

This gives me a glimmer of hope. A few Donkey Kong tracks are missing as well, which they could lazily slap onto a potential Gangplank Galleon stage.
Isn't there newer polls than this?
The problem is that the person who got Snake in Brawl (Kojima) no longer works at Konami as Snake's inclusion was just a favor for one of Sakurai's friends, plus Nintendo & Konami aren't on the best of terms right now. Though to be fair, Nintendo's only third party friends right now are Sega, Capcom, & Namco (notice the pattern?). I'd say Atlus, but they technically exist under Sega now. Plus Konami has their own shit to deal with right now.

As much as it pains me to say it, Snake's never coming back. The best we can hope for is for another character to take up the mantle of his moveset. There's just too much working against Snake's return. At this point, it'd take a miracle for Snake to come back.
Akidnamededdy is saying what I have been saying. Unless Sakurai holds a grudge as well, snake coming back in isn't a stretch.

Yep if they were asked for snake don't see why they would deny it.

----

Konami released some Castlevania on VC ain't much but I wouldn't say that's a burned bridge. They haven't been releasing games period as of late.

Kevinroc

But the thing is, this is Konami we're talking about. Plus Nintendo burning every third party bridge they once had (sans Sega, Capcom, & Namco) isn't doing them any favors.

There's also the Kojima situation. (Which, you know, is part of the whole "Konami gonna Konami" thing.)

Speaking of which, does Atlus have any sensible PEGI 12(-able) representatives?

Neiteio

Yes, it's Konami — the company that only cares about easy money. Which Snake DLC totally is. It's a revenue stream in itself, -and- it provides free advertising and buzz for MGSV. That's why I think it's a distinct possibility. Really, only thing I see stopping Snake from appearing in Smash is Sakurai himself thinking, for whatever reason, that he's not worth the effort. But the effort involved should be comparable to Lucas. They can straight-up recycle his assets (including VA) from Brawl, creating a new model and call it a day.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Updated, correct. I'm pretty sure that update did cost them some man-hours though and that's what Sakurai referred to.

I'm pretty sure that Sakurai didn't said Brawl. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai was talking about assets from Melee. I would like to see the source from you or ballad.

The problem is that the person who got Snake in Brawl (Kojima) no longer works at Konami.

I'm not delusion enough to believe that Snake is coming back but I would like to correct your mistake that Kojima is still under contract with Konami until December 2015. Kojima don't really have that much of power as he used to have in Konami.

Golnei

Speaking of which, does Atlus have any sensible PEGI 12(-able) representatives?

Jack Frost itself would be the safest bet. It's still the company mascot and the face of SMT and all its spinoffs, with a multitude of variations and costumes that can reference individual games.

If it did cost the same time to update as it did to recreate (as Mewtwo was) they wouldn't have ripped and then updated. There wouldn't have been a reason not to just remake Lucas unless ripping and updating was faster and easier.

It becomes a lot clearer how a tiny team managed to pump out 4 characters in 8 months when you realize one is an updated Brawl rip, the other is a heavily modified Marth and two are actually from scratch.

And there's nothing even wrong with that. It was probably the only realistic chance Lucas had. Mewtwo managed to get a total redo because he's Mewtwo and was the most requested cut vet Smash has ever had.

It doesn't even really matter. We have Lucas again and that's really the main positive end result here. It also makes Wolf a lot more likely knowing they can and will port and update Brawl assets.

I legitimately believe they cannot rip Melee and 64 assets though, after seeing Mewtwo, Dreamland and Kongo Jungle all 100% remade.

Jawmuncher

There's also the Kojima situation. (Which, you know, is part of the whole "Konami gonna Konami" thing.)

Only a factor if Sakurai considers it a issue. As in "they did my friend Kojimas dirty screw them". While at the same time could be "let me honor my friend one more time by putting snake in smash once more" last Kojima MGS last Snake in smash to commemorate that.

Yes. Just remove Chrom and Zoroark and replace them with Inkling and Krystal, respectively. Lucas and Wolf also replace Mewtwo and Roy as the highly requested veterans.
Ok just wanted to be sure, makes sense.

Neiteio

Honestly, I think Kojima would be happy with Snake in Smash 4, even if it doesn't profit him directly, since it's a tribute to his most beloved creations (Snake), in one of the most popular games of all time (Smash).

Jawmuncher

Honestly, I think Kojima would be happy with Snake in Smash 4, even if it doesn't profit him directly, since it's a tribute to his most beloved creations (Snake), in one of the most popular games of all time (Smash).

Yep that's how I look at it. It'll be a long road though to find out if it happens or not. Shame we really can't discuss much outside of conjectures for snake.

Golnei

That's exactly why it can't happen. Regardless of the complete lack of risk involved on their part, allowing Kojima to experience anything other than unending misery is against everything Konami stands for.

Neiteio

That's exactly why it can't happen. Regardless of the complete lack of risk involved on their part, allowing Kojima to experience anything other than unending misery is against everything Konami stands for.
Ha, you actually raise a good point. Wouldn't put it past Konami to stonewall Snake in Smash just to blue-ball Kojima. The only thing they like more than rubbing $100 bills on their titties is seeing Kojima sad.

I'm pretty sure that Sakurai didn't said Brawl. I'm pretty sure that Sakurai was talking about assets from Melee. I would like to see the source from you or ballad.

Weird, I've been hearing for years now that 100% of the characters were entirely recreated for Smash 4, but I actually found a Famitsu article directly contradicting that
According to translations, Sakurai explains part of the development process for a Smash game is to migrate data from the older games, enabling their models and animations to be developed accurately.

Sakurai was right though about the Melee data. The Melee data is clearly too old. If it wasn't they wouldn't have remade Kongo Jungle, Dreamland or Mewtwo entirely from scratch, as it's pretty evident they did that.

Edit: Wait, found this
Sakurai’s team did, however, rework almost every character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS from the ground up, something that contributes to his belief that the upcoming titles are much more interesting experiences than their predecessors.
I think some people may have taken a translation of this article, which is about balance, and ran with it assuming it meant 100% of the characters were built from the ground up. Models and all. Which doesn't really seem accurate based on some characters (Mario, Charizard, Lucas), but we do know they balanced the game from scratch because... well it's balanced (more or less).

Edit 2: Literally the first comment on the article is complaining that Ganondorf is identical, visually, to Brawl (as he basically is) so Sakurai is a liar. Yea, guess there is a lot of confusion around this article.

Snake would be awesome to see come back but we don't know why he was removed, so it's possible whatever happens locks him out for good :(

I do think it'd be great seeing K. Rool inherit Snake's traps and general 1-on-1 leaning playstyle. Like he can set a cannonball overhead to drop whenever someone passes under it or remote-control his crown to slice people.

Snake would be awesome to see come back but we don't know why he was removed, so it's possible whatever happens locks him out for good :(

I do think it'd be great seeing K. Rool inherit Snake's traps and general 1-on-1 leaning playstyle. Like he can set a cannonball overhead to drop whenever someone passes under it or remote-control his crown to slice people.
Thank you someone agrees

Breakless

Banned
I feel Toad, Inklings and Chibi Robo are all going to be shoe-ins for Smash 5.

Inklings are the fresh new hot IP rep. They would be wasted as DLC, when they can be saved as the big new series for Smash 5. If they put all new characters in as DLC, there wouldn't be any new series repped in Smash 5, which would never happen.

Toad is the only important Mario Character left. He has been a popular candidate since Melee, and now has his own game. More important, he is a mainline Mario character, far more likely than the likes of Waluigi and Daisy (Who should just be a proper Peach costume).

Chibi Robo is widely popular in Japan. He just got his 5th title in the series, which 4 of them were physical releases. He now is about to star in a 2D action game which looks like it will lend many potential moves to the Smash series. He is popular enough to get his own amiibo, which even turns him into a super form (perfect for a final smash.) He uses his plug like a whip in the new game, which would be unlike any or fighter. Many people wanted Simon Belmont for his whip gameplay, but since Konami is Konami this won't happen.

Of course we will get a new pokemon and FE Lord as a fighter, but these 3 are the most predictable at the moment.

K Rool is sitting pretty to win the ballot.

javadoze

Chibi Robo is widely popular in Japan. He just got his 5th title in the series, which 4 of them were physical releases. He now is about to star in a 2D action game which looks like it will lend many potential moves to the Smash series. He is popular enough to get his own amiibo, which even turns him into a super form (perfect for a final smash.) He uses his plug like a whip in the new game, which would be unlike any or fighter. Many people wanted Simon Belmont for his whip gameplay, but since Konami is Konami this won't happen.

Chibi-Robo's moveset potential is crazy. He can attack with his plug, use his tools from the first game for his other specials and attacks, and for alt costumes you have his costumes from the original game (Frogsuit, Dogsuit, Pajamasuit, DrakeRedcrestsuit, etc).

Ryce

Now that Splatoon has sold one million copies, the "it hasn't proven itself" argument is moot. It's more successful than Mother and Xenoblade were during their introduction into Smash Bros.

Inklings are the fresh new hot IP rep. They would be wasted as DLC, when they can be saved as the big new series for Smash 5.
Sakurai has said that he doesn't think about future Smash Bros. games unless he has to, so he's not going to intentionally withhold a character just to make a hypothetical sequel look better. He didn't do that with Ryu.

TBH, the perfect additions to me would be - and I might have basically made this post very recently sorry:

Smash 4 DLC:

King K. Rool
Wolf
Squirtle
Bulbasaur

Smash NX (which would be a remake of Smash 4/5 with all characters and stages from both games, DLC included):

Ice Climbers
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Captain Syrup
Gen 7 Pokemon
Toon Zelda
Dark Samus
Kamui
Isabelle
Inkling
Isaac
Andy
Chibi-Robo
Chorus Kids
King Hippo
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Snake
Bayonetta (I'm just gonna assume that they'll make a Bayonetta 3 for NX launch :v)

If they do end up just making it a remake, I think it could easily manage to sustain a record 19 characters.

If Sakurai doesn't end up doing a Smash 4 remake (or someone else), I'll be kinda "hmm :/"ing. Nintendo needs another Smash title for the NX, but building a brand new game will simply take too long to catch dat fire in a bottle.

If Sakurai doesn't end up doing a Smash 4 remake (or someone else), I'll be kinda "hmm :/"ing. Nintendo needs another Smash title for the NX, but building a brand new game will simply take too long to catch dat fire in a bottle.

I agree with your point completely. Nintendo can't afford to wait another 2-3 years for Smash. Porting over Smash 4 at launch with all of the DLC included + new characters and a story mode would be a wise decision. My list:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U DLC:

Wolf
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong

Super Smash Bros. for NX:

Inkling
Takamaru
Tingle
Waluigi
Ridley
Azura
Krystal
Chorus Kids
King Hippo
Ice Climbers
Chibi Robo
Snake
Rayman
Some random Pokémon

14 new characters in total, which is in-line with the amount of newcomers in SSB4.

Hypothetically, if Smash 4 gets a quickie NX upgrade in a year and a half's time, I wouldn't expect a newcomer cast that rivals a proper Smash sequel if it doesn't have the parity clause 3DS/Wii U had.

Ice Climbers and the rest of Pokemon Trainer's crew back as separate characters, some more alts and maybe an Inkling as the sole newcomer who wasn't in the original 'For', with all the DLC for the original games and both version's stage roster included. Anything more seems like you're setting your hopes way too high when you look at other next-gen remasters we've gotten.

Neoxon

Hypothetically, if Smash 4 gets a quickie NX upgrade in a year and a half's time, I wouldn't expect a newcomer cast that rivals a proper Smash sequel if it doesn't have the parity clause 3DS/Wii U had.

Ice Climbers and the Pokemon back, some more alts and maybe an Inkling, with all the DLC for the original games included. Anything more seems like you're setting your hopes way too high when you look at other next-gen remasters we've gotten.
But as I've said numerous times, I doubt that the NX will be released until 2017. Though Smash 4's DLC will likely go into 2016, so you may end up being right anyway. And I have a good feeling that we'll get the Inklings sooner rather than later.

But as I've said numerous times, I doubt that the NX will be released until 2017. Though Smash 4's DLC will likely go into 2016, so you may end up being right anyway. And I have a good feeling that we'll get the Inklings sooner rather than later.
This year's E3 still cemented in my mind the NX is on its way at the end of next year. A 2017 release would give me more hope for its specs and the Wii U having more than just Fire Emblem Meets Anime and Zelda U next year, but I just don't see it happening.

Neoxon

This year's E3 still cemented in my mind the NX is on its way at the end of next year. A 2017 release would give me more hope for its specs and the Wii U having more than just Fire Emblem Meets Anime and Zelda U next year.
  • Zelda U
  • Pokkén Tournament
  • Retro's Wii U Project
  • Next Level Games' Wii U project
  • Paper Mario U (supposedly leaked)
  • SMTxFE
That's a decent 2016 for the Wii U right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom