• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

With Inklings, I think the ability to leave ink on the battlefield is pretty integral - like, I can't imagine Sakurai NOT implementing that in some way, shape, or form. I'm not sure that can be done with Smash 4 as DLC - it seems like it'd be a really, REALLY complicated system to try and patch in long after the fact.

That's one of the reasons I'm skeptical they'll be included in Smash 4.
They were able to incorporate a new kind of input method for Ryu, so adding another mechanic for the Inklings involving the stages isn't impossible. Plus based on what data miners discovered about the game, the code itself is much more open for modification via patches than previous games (for obvious reasons).

SaikyoBro

But the point is that you can have a Mii costume & be playable as well. If anything, there are other reasons for certain Mii costume characters not being playable (Dunban is already in Shulk's Final Smash, Harada isn't too keen on Tekken characters being in Smash, etc.). The Inklings have nothing of the sort holding them back, & the success of their game is only helping their chances. If anything, they'd want to strike while the iron's hot. It's not like they'd play the same if the Inklings get in. And like I said before, who else is there to add besides Wolf before the ballot results come in?

Right, and my point is that the Inkling costumes literally disqualify them from being playable on the grounds that they look almost exactly identical to the Inklings themselves. With Dunban or Heihachi, there's no confusing the costumes for the real deal. With the Inkling costumes, the proportions and everything look pretty much spot-on, the only way to distinguish an Inkling from a Gunner would be to look at their faces. I really don't think that's something Nintendo would go for.

There's also the Inkling trophy in the latest patch; I'm aware that they clearly don't have a problem with having more than one trophy of the same character (Mewtwo and Lucas), but I really don't think it's likely at all that they'd decide to patch in an Inkling trophy for the sake of having one if there were any plans to make an Inkling DLC character.

I'm pretty sure the costumes and the trophy were planned before anyone knew Splatoon would be a big hit or that the Inklings would be highly requested characters, and maybe Sakurai's kicking himself in the ass right now for including them, but I'm pretty certain that there's not really any going back on the decision to put them in the game. Unfortunately, I'm also pretty sure that that decision is going to keep them out until next time.

Neoxon

Right, and my point is that the Inkling costumes literally disqualify them from being playable on the grounds that they look almost exactly identical to the Inklings themselves. With Dunban or Heihachi, there's no confusing the costumes for the real deal. With the Inkling costumes, the proportions and everything look pretty much spot-on, the only way to distinguish an Inkling from a Gunner would be to look at their faces. I really don't think that's something Nintendo would go for.

There's also the Inkling trophy in the latest patch; I'm aware that they clearly don't have a problem with having more than one trophy of the same character (Mewtwo and Lucas), but I really don't think it's likely at all that they'd decide to patch in an Inkling trophy for the sake of having one if there were any plans to make an Inkling DLC character.

I'm pretty sure the costumes and the trophy were planned before anyone knew Splatoon would be a big hit or that the Inklings would be highly requested characters, and maybe Sakurai's kicking himself in the ass right now for including them, but I'm pretty certain that there's not really any going back on the decision to put them in the game. Unfortunately, I'm also pretty sure that that decision is going to keep them out until next time.
The faces aren't even that accurate to the Inklings themselves, even in the promotional images. Plus the limbs are much thicker than the actual Inklings. They do clearly look like Miis, just with Inkling costumes. I doubt it'd be much of an issue to include them now. And even if Sakurai wasn't aware of Splatoon being a hit now, it's not too late. It's not like it'd be the first time he sold a DLC Mii costume for someone who's also playable (we both mentioned Link as that example). And again I ask, after Wolf, who else is there before the ballot closes? Other than the Chorus Kids, he'd have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for anymore potential non-ballot picks if it isn't the Inklings.

SaikyoBro

The faces aren't even that accurate to the Inklings themselves, even in the promotional images. Plus the limbs are much thicker than the actual Inklings. They do clearly look like Miis, just with Inkling costumes. I doubt it'd be much of an issue to include them now. And even if Sakurai wasn't aware of Splatoon being a hit now, it's not too late. It's not like it'd be the first time he sold a DLC Mii costume for someone who's also playable (we both mentioned Link as that example). And again I ask, after Wolf, who else is there before the ballot closes? Other than the Chorus Kids, he'd have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for anymore potential non-ballot picks if it isn't the Inklings.

Agree to disagree on the issue of them looking too much alike. I just really don't think they'd be easy enough to distinguish from the costumes, thicker arms and legs or not.

For the "who else is there to add" issue I see where you're coming from but I don't think it really means anything. I don't think there's any pressure to add a brand new unique character before October at all, and if there was there's no reason to say Sakurai needs to consult the ballot to come up with something. Look at Ryu, or even some of the on-disc newcomers. Not many people were asking for Rosalina or Greninja but I don't think most people would say they're bottom of the barrel characters at this point. If the Inklings do get in there's no reason it has to be now or never.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Isabelle would be OP as a fighter. No one would dare beat her up so you'd always win if you picked her.

Neoxon

Isabelle would be OP as a fighter. No one would dare beat her up so you'd always win if you picked her.
Which is why it's a shame that they made her an Assist Trophy. Isabelle would have been a great 2nd Animal Crossing rep, & given how big the franchise is now, it would have deserved it. Maybe in Smash 5.

KingBroly

Banned
They'd probably have a hard time getting Inkling to work. You have the Ink mechanic, sub weapon, special weapons, the Final Smash (Obviously TEH KRAKEN!!!). There's probably a ton of little things that would have to go into making it work right. With a new game, Inkling would be a Star arrival. As DLC, it's just 'oh, that's nice.'

And please, no more Fire Emblem characters. There are 5, 2 are clones of Marth. It's ridiculous. Other series deserve more representation, like Zelda, DK and Metroid, which all deserve at least 1 more spot. I also think we've hit the limit for Mario characters, 8 slots, 15 characters with all the Koopalings.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This. I was annoyed when everyone was asking for Roy to come back. Then he did, fine, congrats to the fans. Now people are talking about Wolf? And PICHU??!

When the Smash Ballot was announced my mind was overwhelmed with limitless possibilities for new characters, not "damn can't wait for every every boring clone to return for $5 a pop."

More Ryus please

Good thing Wolf isn't a clone!

On the subject of awesome curveball characters and how we wasted our votes, I voted for ST Falcon from Battle Clash and Metal Combat. Will never happen, but it's so cool. Coolest series that Intelligent Systems has ever made. Screw all you guys.

ST Tornado is an obvious alt colour:

what is Xabungle doing in Nintendo

And please, no more Fire Emblem characters. There are 5, 2 are clones of Marth. It's ridiculous. Other series deserve more representation, like Zelda, DK and Metroid, which all deserve at least 1 more spot. I also think we've hit the limit for Mario characters, 8 slots, 15 characters with all the Koopalings.
Yeah, no. I can sort of understand your FE aversion based on historical data (swords, swords everywhere, even Robin getting one), but this is a terrible method of deciding on roster. Mario characters in particular are quite varied so far with obvious exception of Doctor which was specifically designed as a clone because there was time to make a clone. If devs come up with another one that is interesting, I'd prefer that over Adam Malkovich as a Samus/Zamus cross clone.

The "this series has too many reps!" stuff really falls apart if you ever glance at the representation Mother gets.

A series that should have a hard time even getting a single Assist Trophy as its only appearance has 2 reps, 4 stages across the series, 2 assist trophies, 2 items and more music remixes than many, far more larger series.

The entire Mother series (Earthbound Beginnings, Earthbound, Mother 1+2 and Mother 3) combined sold less than Awakening.

Boss Doggie

Yeah rationalizing stuff about roster picks will only give you headaches.

Mmm Wolf in Wolfrun's clothing.

To quote Pirates of the Caribbean representation should be more like guidelines than a precise rule. Like Mother having two characters is cool but Fire Emblem having five is not, and DK having two is reeeeally not...give those clones to different series for crying out loud.

In other news, they had to update the way they ban accounts because of Memeverse lol

To quote Pirates of the Caribbean representation should be more like guidelines than a precise rule. Like Mother having two characters is cool but Fire Emblem having five is not, and DK having two is reeeeally not...give those clones to different series for crying out loud.

FE is a series with a ton of games that all have different characters of varying designs and popularity. A large roster of FE characters is really the only way to adequately represent the series.

If anything it makes more sense for FE to have 5 characters than it does for Mother to have 2.

If they do Inkling as DLC, then we can expect them to be among the first veterans to be revealed and used in the promotional material for Smash 5, kinda like Pit was for Smash 4.

That said, given how successful Splatoon is, and with the ongoing support for the game, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Inkling to headline for Smash 5. I mean, the first newcomers we got for Smash 4 were Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer.

Animal Crossing is a super strong franchise that was pretty much guaranteed to make it into Smash. Mega Man is a third party character from a decently strong, classic series which fans are very passionate about. Wii Fit Trainer though, seems like an odd choice as a headliner, don't you think?

Most of the newcomers were from new titles or new characters introduced into their old series (i.e. the 2 new Mario characters). There's very few "classic" characters left that would make sense as headliners, and Nintendo will want an easily recognizable face on the promotional material for Smash 5. Villager and Mega Man are perfect for that - the third one, Wii Fit Trainer, wasn't in nearly as much promotional material as the other 2 were.

So in the end, we'll be down to popular new Nintendo IPs such as Splatoon (which is easily recongizable and a perfect fit for Smash promo material), and third party characters. And at least one newcomer should be from Nintendo themselves. So unless Nintendo churns out more new IP that is as much of a success as Splatoon, I think they'll want to keep Inkling as a Smash 5 newcomer instead of DLC.

FE is a series with a ton of games that all have different characters of varying designs and popularity. A large roster of FE characters is really the only way to adequately represent the series.

If anything it makes more sense for FE to have 5 characters than it does for Mother to have 2.

While this statement is fair enough, I think the point of criticism isn't the sheer amount of FE characters, but rather the fact that a series with, as you say, a ton of games that have different characters of varying designs and popularity, gets 5 characters out of which all 5 use the same weapon (swords), and 2 of which are clones, making the series' representation extremely lopsided towards one archetype, as opposed to representing the variety of the series by introducing characters with a wide variety of weaponry. Robin is a step in the right direction as he also uses magical tomes, at the very least, but there's plenty of other archetypes and classes that could be represented that Smash does not have access to yet. Spears, axes, bow & arrow - all of that is in Fire Emblem but not Smash. I'd imagine a character like Hawkeye from UMvC3 would be super swell in Smash.

Also, note that the franchise that shares Fire Emblem's status of being a big series with many a character to choose from, Pokemon, has a wide variety of characters that don't play remotely the same, and all have a very different archetype. It's a pretty stark contrast to Fire Emblem's representation.

**** man. Really irritating that people are already talking about the next smash bros game and the NX like the Wii U is done for already

For pete sakes, this game isn't even a year old, and the Wii U is just getting a steady stream of quality games.

ENJOY THE MOMENT DAMMMIT. No way in hell is Sakurai gonna develop another smash bros game anytime soon anyway.

Naw they will probably just port Smash 4. Maybe as a remaster with all DLC and a few updates

Makes more sense to just migrate and support it than rebuild a new game from scratch. Plus Smash 4 has so much more to offer.

Porting Smash 4 to NX would give them the time and resources needed to give the DLC a proper CSS position and custom moves.

I could see the DLC easily being completely adapted into the base game. New events, challenges, etc that include the characters. With Roy and Mewtwo made unlockable. A new Assist Trophy for Street Fighter. Stuff like that, make the DLC not even feel like DLC at all.

A good reason to bring back Ice Climbers as well. Maybe even Snake.

Also a re-ordering of the character trophies would be nice. The order is all sorts of wacky, especially with the DLC tacked to the end and Jigglypuff hanging with the Brawl characters, and Doc with the Smash 4 characters. Also the Viruses are not considered Mario Trophies for reasons unknown to anyone.

Not necessarily, you can just take Marth and the most recent lord and keep the other prominent figures as ATs (or keep the past most recent lord if he's really loved like Ike). Spread the clone wealth to other series, cuz no one would care if the series had three.

Also the thing about varied and interesting characters still applies to DK even though I'm guessing the counterargument is "because you mostly play as DK it's okay to ignore the others."

Considering how popular Roy has become, I think it's pretty evident people would care if they suddenly cut 4 characters for arbitrary reasons (but left Mother over represented because of reasons).

Pizza

The inking mechanic *would* be rad for inklings, but I can't think of any way it'd work.

The most I could see is maybe a bomb-based attack that leaves an ink puddle that hampers movement. Maybe if ducking turns you into a squid, crawling could let you slide on the floor or hide in the puddle, and doing so could give you a small power boost?

Every weapon shoots ink, so you'd have the whole stage covered in no time. Having full stage control would be cool for a kraken final smash, but I'm not so sure it could be their base mechanic tbh

Having their up+b be the super squid jump would be so rad and perfect though.

And if crawling doesn't feature squid-form I'll be shaking my head.

Hopefully they'll have an exclusive mechanic were you can jump while crawling so you can bounce around the stage as a squid

Nintendo have obviously had the NX planned for a while and so it's highly likely the purpose of the ballot was also used as which characters to bring into the possible port of Smash 4 rather than make a whole new game which at this point is unneeded. If Smash NX is a combo of both 3DS and WiiU releases with all DLC and some kind of new mode that would justify a new release. As for characters? I'm not saying all bolded characters will/should make it in, those are the ones that have a good shot/deserve it. I'd also be surprised if these characters weren't towards the top of the ballot requests.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario
Rosalina, Junior/Koopalings, Doc
Captain Toad

Link
Zelda
Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Tetra
Impa

DK
Diddy
Dixie
Cranky
K. Rool

Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Dark Samus (Ridley just ain't happening)

Kirby
Meta Knight
Dedede
Bandana Dee

Pit
Palutena
Dark Pit
Medusa
Hades

Marth
Roy
Ike
Lucina
Robin (New Avatar from Fates either as an alt or replacement for Robin)

Fox
Falco
Wolf - (I think he'll back as DLC but if not then this could also be his return)

Ness
Lucas
Ninten - A big maybe but with Beginnings now released at least they could round out the trilogy and leave it at that

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Charizard
Lucario
Greninja
Pichu - Roy came back, don't see why Pichu shouldn't if only for Melee nostalgia. Too early for a Gen 7 Pokemon anyway, that's not expected till 2017 at the earliest.

Villager
Isabelle

Little Mac
King Hippo

Game and Watch
Duck Hunt Duo
Rob
Captain Falcon
Olimar/Alph
Wii Fit Trainer
Shulk
Mii
Ice Climbers
Takamaru
Issac
Chibi-Robo
Inkling

Pac Man
Sonic
Mega Man
Ryu
Rayman

Boss Doggie

Not necessarily, you can just take Marth and the most recent lord and keep the other prominent figures as ATs (or keep the past most recent lord if he's really loved like Ike). Spread the clone wealth to other series, cuz no one would care if the series had three.

Also the thing about varied and interesting characters still applies to DK even though I'm guessing the counterargument is "because you mostly play as DK it's okay to ignore the others."

here's the thing though, it's hard to quantify such and such

if they did what you just mentioned, people will get angry especially on existing characters

the flavor of the month shit has already been debunked and shouldn't really be brought up

I was talking in terms of in hindsight, since if you take anyone out now, of course bitching will happen. People will love whatever Sakurai does or doesn't do too. Oh well what can you do.

Neoxon

This. I was annoyed when everyone was asking for Roy to come back. Then he did, fine, congrats to the fans. Now people are talking about Wolf? And PICHU??!

When the Smash Ballot was announced my mind was overwhelmed with limitless possibilities for new characters, not "damn can't wait for every every boring clone to return for $5 a pop."

More Ryus please
The ballot doesn't end until October, & Ryu's inclusion had nothing to do with the ballot. Considering when it ends, I don't think we'll see any results come into fruition until Early 2016. So until then, I'd expect mostly veterans (& fortunately for you, Wolf isn't a clone).

As for all of this NX talk, I still doubt it's coming any sooner than 2017 (on top of getting good specs, they need to get a decent library at launch to avoid repeating the Wii U's launch). That being said, 2017 would be more than enough time to get a remaster of Smash 4 done.

JCX

I feel like everyone's counting the Inklings out for Smash 4 DLC.

I do not want inklings in Smash if it means a gimped moveset because of 3DS. We already got rid of transformation characters because of the 3DS, but inkling in some ways is a transformation character at its heart.

Also, there isn't a bigger new first party IP to place as a character.

Neoxon

I do not want inklings in Smash if it means a gimped moveset because of 3DS. We already got rid of transformation characters because of the 3DS, but inkling in some ways is a transformation character at its heart.

Also, there isn't a bigger new first party IP to place as a character.
But as it stands, their options for other characters are rather limited aside from the inevitable Wolf inclusion until the ballot results come in. And the issue with the transformations is for potentially the entire match. The Squid form is most likely no different than Samus' Morph Ball.

while we're on the subject of smash 5 i hope either a majority of characters get their counter replaced with another move or just make it a mechanic and everyone has it. so many characters have one that i just think at this point it should just be a mechanic.

Porting Smash 4 to NX would give them the time and resources needed to give the DLC a proper CSS position and custom moves.

I could see the DLC easily being completely adapted into the base game. New events, challenges, etc that include the characters. With Roy and Mewtwo made unlockable. A new Assist Trophy for Street Fighter. Stuff like that, make the DLC not even feel like DLC at all.

A good reason to bring back Ice Climbers as well. Maybe even Snake.

Also a re-ordering of the character trophies would be nice. The order is all sorts of wacky, especially with the DLC tacked to the end and Jigglypuff hanging with the Brawl characters, and Doc with the Smash 4 characters. Also the Viruses are not considered Mario Trophies for reasons unknown to anyone.

Seems like the logical step to me and would give the NX a nice software boost much lik ethe PS4 remasters lol

Neoxon

while we're on the subject of smash 5 i hope either a majority of characters get their counter replaced with another move or just make it a mechanic and everyone has it. so many characters have one that i just think at this point it should just be a mechanic.
Marth & Roy were the originals, & it makes sense for Shulk given him being a Seer.

But as it stands, their options for other characters are rather limited aside from the inevitable Wolf inclusion until the ballot results come in. And the issue with the transformations is for potentially the entire match. The Squid form is most likely no different than Samus' Morph Ball.

lol its really not. if you want the inkling thats fine but don't just make up shit like that because you and everyone else knows thats not true.

Marth & Roy were the originals, & it makes sense for Shulk given him being a Seer.

imo shulk should be the only one that has it, its the best way to represent his ability to see the future, not everyone else tho.

Neoxon

lol its really not. if you want the inkling thats fine but don't just make up shit like that because you and everyone else knows thats not true.
Let's look at who else is there.
  • Wolf is obviously coming, or at least there's a 99% chance of him coming.
  • King K. Rool hasn't been used in a DK game in years, so he has no chance without the ballot (which doesn't matter in this particular case, since he's rocking the ballot anyway)
  • Wonder Red's game bombed hard, see King K. Rool (but unlike Rool, Wonder Red's success in the ballot is up in the air)
  • Isaac's game is dead (see Wonder Red, but at least he isn't an Assist Trophy anymore)
  • Nintendo burned most of their third party bridges, including Konami. Not to mention the shit that Konami is going through right now (& Kojima being on his way out). As such, I don't think Snake will ever return.
You get the idea. The only ones that may have a chance are Pichu (if they take the Roy approach) & the Chorus Kids (assuming they didn't have any Ice Climbers issues & time constraints were their only issue). Maybe Squirtle & Ivysaur, but that'd be a bit overkill for Pokémon reps (though to be fair, the same logic applies to Pichu).

Let's look at who else is there.
  • Wolf is obviously coming, or at least there's a 99% chance of him coming.
  • King K. Rool hasn't been used in a DK game in years, so he has no chance without the ballot (which doesn't matter in this particular case, since he's rocking the ballot anyway)
  • Wonder Red's game bombed hard, see King K. Rool (but unlike Rool, Wonder Red's success in the ballot is up in the air)
  • Isaac's game is dead (see Wonder Red, but at least he isn't an Assist Trophy anymore)
  • Nintendo burned most of their third party bridges, including Konami. Not to mention the shit that Konami is going through right now (& Kojima being on his way out). As such, I don't think Snake will ever return.

What makes you so sure of Wolf?

Neoxon

What makes you so sure of Wolf?
  • He's on the same boat as Lucas, a fan-favorite veteran who was cut due to time constraints.
  • He has no legal (Snake) or technical (Ice Climbers) issues holding him back.
  • Despite popular belief, he wasn't a clone of Fox.
  • He's gonna be in Star Fox Zero, as confirmed by Platinum Games (the co-developers for the game), so it's easy advertising for SFZ.
I'd be shocked if he wasn't DLC. Everything's lining up in his favor.

JCX

Smash 5 needs a big headliner, Inkling is that headliner. There are plenty of third party/second tier first party games who should get in via the ballot, since the ballot is our best chance for characters from dead/dormant franchises (Golden Sun, Advance Wars)

Inkling is a lock, save them for 5.

As a fan of a lot of the sword characters, I must disagree. Each counter has its own quirks, save for the Marths.

Forkball

I'd rather them save new Nintendo characters for the next Smash. I mean they're a bit low in the tank when it comes to big first party characters they can add.

Also I'd like to see some King of Fighters costumes.

Early 2016? Nah, man, they'll have at least a T-Pose Model of their first choice to show by then. Imagine the anticlimax of "you've been sending in your votes for half a year...thanks for playing! Now wait for us to 'deliberate' on who to add for even longer!"

• He's on the same boat as Lucas, a fan-favorite veteran who was cut due to time constraints.
  • He has no legal (Snake) or technical (Ice Climbers) issues holding him back.
  • Despite popular belief, he wasn't a clone of Fox.
  • He's gonna be in Star Fox Zero, as confirmed by Platinum Games (the co-developers for the game), so it's easy advertising for SFZ.
I'd be shocked if he wasn't DLC. Everything's lining up in his favor.

While I really hope that you're right, I think Sakurai constantly shows us time and time again that he won't pick the most obvious option

Neoxon

Smash 5 needs a big headliner, Inkling is that headliner. There are plenty of third party/second tier first party games who should get in via the ballot, since the ballot is our best chance for characters from dead/dormant franchises (Golden Sun, Advance Wars)

Inkling is a lock, save them for 5.

As a fan of a lot of the sword characters, I must disagree. Each counter has its own quirks, save for the Marths.
But that's the thing, the ballot isn't over until October, & they still need to evaluate the results & make the characters. We still have 2 placeholder slots left before the ballot characters join the party, one of which is most likely going to Wolf. As much as it pains me to say it, none of those examples have a shot at getting that last slot (not even Wonder Red ;_;).

Zubz

Banned
Regarding the Ice Climbers, I wonder if they could be reworked to fight as a single unit standing back-to-back. All of their attacks would hit on both sides, and the two would no longer be separable.

Ice_Climbers_Squall_Hammer_SSBB.png

Eh... If they're inseparable, then it'd feel like they just brought them back for the sake of having them in the game. If the Ice Climbers are just one character, then it just wouldn't make sense. This thread has me thinking about a "for NX" edition which wouldn't have to worry about the 3DS' processing power. At this point, I'd just wait for that. Same for the Chorus Kids, assuming they had the same problem.

When are they adding Shantae?

If/When we get 3rd Party Ballot Characters, probably. She's not the most popular 3rd Party there, but ignoring Banjo and Sora, she's neck-and-neck with Bayonetta, Rayman, Snake, and Shovel Knight for the top spot. If we get a 3rd Party Ballot pick, it'd likely be one of those 5.

**** man. Really irritating that people are already talking about the next smash bros game and the NX like the Wii U is done for already

For pete sakes, this game isn't even a year old, and the Wii U is just getting a steady stream of quality games.

ENJOY THE MOMENT DAMMMIT. No way in hell is Sakurai gonna develop another smash bros game anytime soon anyway.

It wouldn't be a "new" Smash Bros., though. At least in my eyes, this hypothetical "Smash Bros. for NX' would just be Smash 4, but with all of the DLC on disc, as well as the content from both the 3DS/Wii U versions, modes included.

Every successful fighting game gets a "SUPER Edition" roughly a year or 2 later. SFIV went through several iterations, Skullgirls is on its "2nd Encore,", MK9 got a "Komplete Edition" a year later and a Vita version with extra challenges/costumes after that... With MKX already having 4 DLC characters plus 3+ characters that have at least one full variation in the story mode but aren't yet playable otherwise, that rumor saying SFV will only have 18 characters, and KI being comprised of 2-3 "Seasons" worth of characters, I can guarantee you those games are getting them. If anything, it's weird that Smash was an exception. With DLC, a "Complete" Version was almost guaranteed. A "for NX" version at least makes it justified.

If Kamui gets added we'll have the first canon LGBT character

Huh. I mean, I though Ike was implied to be bisexual, but I never played his games (And again, it's just an implication, from what I've gathered). IIRC, he can only S-Rank with men, but still flirts with female characters, right? I mean, I learned about this through a long, heated, 3 AM discussion about which Smash characters have and have not "had," which got bad enough that we needed a whiteboard to keep track of everything. Granted, we know Ike reproduced thanks to Priam, but if I'm wrong about his sexuality, that whole night will feel wasted.

Neoxon

Eh... If they're inseparable, then it'd feel like they just brought them back for the sake of having them in the game. If the Ice Climbers are just one character, then it just wouldn't make sense. This thread has me thinking about a "for NX" edition which wouldn't have to worry about the 3DS' processing power. At this point, I'd just wait for that. Same for the Chorus Kids, assuming they had the same problem.

If/When we get 3rd Party Ballot Characters, probably. She's not the most popular 3rd Party there, but ignoring Banjo and Sora, she's neck-and-neck with Bayonetta, Rayman, Snake, and Shovel Knight for the top spot. If we get a 3rd Party Ballot pick, it'd likely be one of those 5.

It wouldn't be a "new" Smash Bros., though. At least in my eyes, this hypothetical "Smash Bros. for NX' would just be Smash 4, but with all of the DLC on disc, as well as the content from both the 3DS/Wii U versions, modes included.

Every successful fighting game gets a "SUPER Edition" roughly a year or 2 later. SFIV went through several iterations, Skullgirls is on its "2nd Encore,", MK9 got a "Komplete Edition" a year later and a Vita version with extra challenges/costumes after that... With MKX already having 4 DLC characters plus 3+ characters that have at least one full variation in the story mode but aren't yet playable otherwise, that rumor saying SFV will only have 18 characters, and KI being comprised of 2-3 "Seasons" worth of characters, I can guarantee you those games are getting them. If anything, it's weird that Smash was an exception. With DLC, a "Complete" Version was almost guaranteed. A "for NX" version at least makes it justified.

Huh. I mean, I though Ike was implied to be bisexual, but I never played his games (And again, it's just an implication, from what I've gathered). IIRC, he can only S-Rank with men, but still flirts with female characters, right? I mean, I learned about this through a long, heated, 3 AM discussion about which Smash characters have and have not "had," which got bad enough that we needed a whiteboard to keep track of everything. Granted, we know Ike reproduced thanks to Priam, but if I'm wrong about his sexuality, that whole night will feel wasted.
Street Fighter V isn't getting a Super version of any kind, as they're going the Killer Instinct approach with updates (they don't want to fragment the player base, especially with Sony helping make the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom