• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's the thing, the ballot isn't over until October, & they still need to evaluate the results & make the characters. We still have 2 placeholder slots left before the ballot characters join the party, one of which is most likely going to Wolf. As much as it pains me to say it, none of those examples have a shot at getting that last slot (not even Wonder Red ;_;).

Evaluating the ballot is most likely being done in real time. Making the characters will take time though, that's true.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at, with modern technology they don't need to sit on their asses twiddling their thumbs for six months. They can get an idea to start on, example, K. Rool and Isaac while holding off on maybe one last spot in case of any last minute surges.

Let's look at who else is there.
  • Wolf is obviously coming, or at least there's a 99% chance of him coming.
  • King K. Rool hasn't been used in a DK game in years, so he has no chance without the ballot (which doesn't matter in this particular case, since he's rocking the ballot anyway)
  • Wonder Red's game bombed hard, see King K. Rool (but unlike Rool, Wonder Red's success in the ballot is up in the air)
  • Isaac's game is dead (see Wonder Red, but at least he isn't an Assist Trophy anymore)
  • Nintendo burned most of their third party bridges, including Konami. Not to mention the shit that Konami is going through right now (& Kojima being on his way out). As such, I don't think Snake will ever return.
You get the idea. The only ones that may have a chance are Pichu (if they take the Roy approach) & the Chorus Kids (assuming they didn't have any Ice Climbers issues & time constraints were their only issue). Maybe Squirtle & Ivysaur, but that'd be a bit overkill for Pokémon reps (though to be fair, the same logic applies to Pichu).

your reasons are just soooo poor. so and so isn't coming because their franchise is old or is dead. because duck hunt is selling like hot cakes, and even if this one is 3rd party, mega man is alive and well, lets not forget bringing lucas back because that franchise is also still kicking, right? Sakurai just puts who ever the damn hell he pleases into the game. with probably the exception of the pokemon side, maybe TPC has a say in that because they oh so care very much about the quality of the pokemon franchise (meanwhile at TPC they're developing another pokemon rumble game >_>)

although i do agree wolf will come back, no way lucas comes back and now wolf, especially since lucas is pretty much a 1:1 from his brawl version.

Breakless

Banned
In an ideal world, this is the Smash 5 roster:

HmkMe95.png

!0 Mario characters...9 vets, along with Toad as the newcomer after the capt Toad momentum.

4 DKC characters. K Rool will likely win the poll and get added as DLC this time. Dixie is a likely addition for Smash 5.

6 Zelda Characters, Impa joining the roster. While its possible Impa replaces Sheik, I doubt it after Hyrule Warriors. I can see here using some of her moves from the game, such as water elements, and using a giant sword.

Fire Emblem will likely get a new Lord. This would bring 6 Fire Emblem characters. Not sure if all of them will get in at launch, but Lucina and Roy are the first ones to get cut for vanilla....but would be very easy to make DLC.

7 Pokemon. Don't think any are getting cut out of the 6 veterans, While its possible Ivy/Squirtle/Pichu is there, I kinda doubt it, and a gen 7/8 starter makes the most sense to be added.

2 Animal Crossing characters. At first I added Isabelle, but I feel shes better suited as an AT than a fighter. Perfect nod to her in game role. AC is big enough to get a new rep, and I feel Tom Nooks can use the Tanooki Mario abilities to fight.

Takamaru, keeping the trend of one new retro character. He is the strongest candidate for this spot.

Chibi Robo, probably one of the most likely characters to get added in this game. 5 titles in the series, and going strong. He has many abilities that would lend to smash.

Isaac and Ray. These two are dream characters and probably won't happen, but hey, they would both have great movesets. Also considered Wonder Red here, but I feel Nintendo is just going to forget this game happened sadly. Golden Sun and Custom Robo had several sequels at least.

Chorus Kids: Id say a RH character is just about guaranteed for Smash 5, given the success of the series. Chorus Kids would represent the series well. Not to mention, the Chorus Kids were promoted to mascot in RH Best +, as they appear in just about every victory screen (Ala Marshal) and even have a role in the ending credits, etc.

Inkling: 100% confident they will be there.

Rayman: New 3rd party.

That would make 71 characters total. An increase from 55-58 some characters (counting DLC) in Smash 4. 14 of these fighters are newcomers (counting potential Smash 4 DLCs like K Rool). 7 new series repped (Smash 4 added 8 new series). Overall I'd say this represents the series well.

Neoxon

Yeah that's what I'm getting at, with modern technology they don't need to sit on their asses twiddling their thumbs for six months. They can get an idea to start on, example, K. Rool and Isaac while holding off on maybe one last spot in case of any last minute surges.
They aren't, there's two more characters being worked on before the ballot characters come into play.

your reasons are just soooo poor. so and so isn't coming because their franchise is old or is dead. because duck hunt is selling like hot cakes, and even if this one is 3rd party, mega man is alive and well, lets not forget bringing lucas back because that franchise is also still kicking, right? Sakurai just puts who ever the damn hell he pleases into the game. with probably the exception of the pokemon side, maybe TPC has a say in that because they oh so care very much about the quality of the pokemon franchise (meanwhile at TPC they're developing another pokemon rumble game >_>)

although i do agree wolf will come back, no way lucas comes back and now wolf, especially since lucas is pretty much a 1:1 from his brawl version.
I'll use Wonder Red as an example. Mega Man & Duck Hunt got in because of their retro creditability as well as Mega Man being synonymous to Nintendo. Characters like Wonder Red don't have that luxury, & that's on top of the fact that franchises like his are either in the grave or headed there. If they don't get in via the ballot now, they will never get in Smash at all.

Let's look at who else is there.
  • Wolf is obviously coming, or at least there's a 99% chance of him coming.
  • King K. Rool hasn't been used in a DK game in years, so he has no chance without the ballot (which doesn't matter in this particular case, since he's rocking the ballot anyway)
  • Wonder Red's game bombed hard, see King K. Rool (but unlike Rool, Wonder Red's success in the ballot is up in the air)
  • Isaac's game is dead (see Wonder Red, but at least he isn't an Assist Trophy anymore)
  • Nintendo burned most of their third party bridges, including Konami. Not to mention the shit that Konami is going through right now (& Kojima being on his way out). As such, I don't think Snake will ever return.
You get the idea. The only ones that may have a chance are Pichu (if they take the Roy approach) & the Chorus Kids (assuming they didn't have any Ice Climbers issues & time constraints were their only issue). Maybe Squirtle & Ivysaur, but that'd be a bit overkill for Pokémon reps (though to be fair, the same logic applies to Pichu).

I still believe that Dixie, more than Rool, is a very serious contender for DLC.
Especially if you look at the list of characters that were planned for Brawl, Dixie makes a lot of sense (even if she's not tag-teaming with Diddy). The groundworks were already there, I'm sure.

She also makes sense from various standpoints. She's a female character from a popular franchise, has recently appeared in a game and has been considered by Sakurai to be added to a previous game. She also does not have the leverage to be a popular newcomer in Smash 5. I think that if anybody has strong chances for a DLC spot, it'd be Dixie.

Mega Man & Duck Hunt got in because of their retro creditability as well as Mega Man being synonymous to Nintendo.

I would also add that Duck Hunt represents NES peripherals/hardware just as much as ROB does, and G&W does with Game & Watch handhelds. Duck Hunt's moveset consists of various references to other Zapper games such as Hogan's Alley.

They aren't, there's two more characters being worked on before the ballot characters come into play

If we go the optimistic route of course, since there could just be two characters left. Even then they can work on more than two characters at once if the latest patch is any clue.

I still believe that Dixie, more than Rool, is a very serious contender for DLC.
Especially if you look at the list of characters that were planned for Brawl, Dixie makes a lot of sense (even if she's not tag-teaming with Diddy). The groundworks were already there, I'm sure.

She also makes sense from various standpoints. She's a female character, has recently appeared in a game and has been considered by Sakurai to be added to a previous game. She also does not have the leverage to be a popular newcomer in Smash 5. I think that if anybody has strong chances for a DLC spot, it'd be Dixie.

That last bit is an argument to package Dixie in with more popular characters in a sequel and let the bigger character in K. Rool sell himself as DLC.

Neoxon

I'm not convinced K. Rool is more popular than Dixie.
Dixie is more relevant, sure, but King K. Rool is more popular. In the case of the ballot, popularity matters more (though it isn't end-all-be-all for any sort of inclusion), so King K. Rool has the better shot right now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Marth & Roy were the originals, & it makes sense for Shulk given him being a Seer.

And Little Mac's Counter don't make sense?

But as it stands, their options for other characters are rather limited aside from the inevitable Wolf inclusion until the ballot results come in. And the issue with the transformations is for potentially the entire match. The Squid form is most likely no different than Samus' Morph Ball.

There is no such thing for options being limited for Nintendo since their portfolio is pretty huge.

Breakless

Banned
Dixie is more relevant, sure, but King K. Rool is more popular. In the case of the ballot, popularity matters more (though it isn't end-all-be-all for any sort of inclusion), so King K. Rool has the better shot right now.

I'm rooting for both, but if I had to pick, I'd go with K Rool, as he's all around more unique and interesting. While Dixie won't be a clone of Diddy, I'm sure they will use Diddy as a base for her design, and potentially share certain moves between them. I feel the ballot winner will also be decided from uniqueness and moveset potential. K Rool offers all of this,

Couldn't we use the same logic for Dixie as every single other cut character in Brawl?

Tetra/Toon Zelda: Recent remake of Wind Waker, one of the best selling Wii U games. Continues to appear in new games like Hyrule Warriors. Female.
Plusle/Minun: A remake of their game just came out and they're still fairly popular Pokemon.

I'm not convinced K. Rool is more popular than Dixie.

He is. No online poll I've seen has had Dixie above K Rool. Most don't even put her close.

He's also more visually unique than Dixie.

See, you could kinda BS that both DK characters were as popular as each other before there was a ballot where everyone was doing fan polls...but there now is a ballot where everyone is doing fan polls, and K.
Rool is above Dixie in every single one, some by crushingly large numbers. Doesn't rule her out if she already had a model like Spainkiller was saying ("saying") but otherwise it's an uphill climb for sure.

Breakless

Banned
Couldn't we use the same logic for Dixie as every single other cut character in Brawl?

Tetra/Toon Zelda: Recent remake of Wind Waker, one of the best selling Wii U games. Continues to appear in new games like Hyrule Warriors. Female.
Plusle/Minun: A remake of their game just came out and they're still fairly popular Pokemon.

He is. He's also more visually unique than Dixie.
I think for Tetra and Toon Zelda, they wouldn't work now as they would be separated, like Sheik and Zelda. This would make 4 different Zeldas on the roster, each taking resources that could be used for a character we already have.

jph139

K. Rool is definitely more popular than Dixie among "people who care about the Smash Bros. roster enough to participate in surveys." But I suspect Dixie would be more palatable and appeal more to the average Smash Bros. consumer. But that's pure speculation based on no data whatsoever.

But frankly as far as sales go I don't think there'd be a noticeable difference. Most people who would buy Dixie would also buy K. Rool and vice-versa. I can't imagine the number of "people who would refuse to buy K. Rool because he's ugly" - as the argument goes - being any different than to the number of"people who are hardcore K. Rool fans and would only ever buy him."

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I think for Tetra and Toon Zelda, they wouldn't work now as they would be separated, like Sheik and Zelda. This would make 4 different Zeldas on the roster, each taking resources that could be used for a character we already have.

Unfortunately the Zelda series has the same unfortunate deal that Metroid does. Most people can't think of anything else to add other than other versions of existing characters. How many Links, Zeldas, and Ganons can we have? How many different Samus's can you have?

Obviously Ridley is by and large the most deserving Metroid character but Sakurai actually came out and said why he wouldn't work. There's Dark Samus sure, but do we really need 3 Metroid characters named Samus? Personally for the next game I'd like to see Samus and Zero Suit become one character again but that's just me. I highly doubt anyone from Other M would be taken as the game is universally despised, and Sakurai dislikes using realish looking guns like the Federation soldiers use. The only real hope is Slyux depending on future titles.

The most obvious choice for a Zelda newcomer is Impa, thanks largely due to her being the only non Link/Zelda/Ganon to appear in multiple games, making her the only other reoccuring character despite not being part of the Triforce. Her badass design in Hyrule Warriors helps a lot. You can either go with that huge sword warrior idea or make her more similar to Shiek, ninja style. Other main choices are either one off villains or one off supports, even if I'd kill to see a Midna or Midna/Wolf Link playable combo.

Donkey Kong too, but K. Rool and Dixie are absolute shoe-ins. Dixie has relevance but K. Rool has popularity and uniqueness. They should come as a packaged deal, but I vote for K. Rool (and did so in the ballot) because he adds things that Dixie can't to the roster that's lacking.

Thus why K. Rool, Impa, and Ridley are my only most wanted characters at this point. K. Rool taking priority over Impa and Ridley's chances null and void at least for Smash 4.

Edit: I think that while Toon Zelda would be kinda redundant, I think Tetra would make a good choice as well. She's not Toon Shiek by any means, and while we all know she's actually Zelda, she'd at least offer a unique pirate-y moveset and be another Cel Shaded Zelda rep to make Toon Link stick out less.

Varjet

I would be floored if Wolf didn't make it in as DLC at this point.

He will be released around the same time as Starfox Zero and to commemorate another NintendoXPlatinumGames collaboration Wonder-Red will also join the fray./hopesanddreams.

Speaking of Wonder-Red, I stumbled across this animation a few days ago. It's amazingly well done.

K. Rool is definitely more popular than Dixie among "people who care about the Smash Bros. roster enough to participate in surveys." But I suspect Dixie would be more palatable and appeal more to the average Smash Bros. consumer. But that's pure speculation based on no data whatsoever.

Again, this doesn't make any sense. K. Rool has appeared in more games and had a more prominent role in the animated series. I think both characters are popular but more people are voting for K. Rool because his inclusion in Smash would guarantee him a spot in the next DKC game. Dixie is already "back", so to speak. She was an expected choice for Smash 4 due to her recent appearance in Tropical Freeze, but since recency is irrelevant when it comes to the ballot, people would rather see K. Rool since he's generally a more interesting character and could bring things to the table that other characters can't. Adding K. Rool to the roster is more than just about filling some arbitrary villain/heavyweight quota. But the game does need more villains, and K. Rool would be a good place to start.

The ideal scenario would to give K. Rool an original moveset and add Dixie as a semi-clone of DK and Diddy, with attributes taken from both. She can slap the ground like DK, carry opponents over her head, and shoot bubblegum instead of peanuts. Neither character would really prevent the other from getting in unless Sakurai is worried about "over representing" the DK series, which would be crazy considering it doesn't even have an Assist Trophy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Has Sakurai said how Ryu was added, like what was the behind the scenes in his inclusion? Capcom deals, etc.?

No, but I'm 100% sure that we don't have a Ken alt because of licensing issues. Most people think it's because of Sakurai lazyness.

We don't have a Ken alt because Ken is a different character. I'm still annoyed that Alph isn't his own thing. Just give him Rock Pikmin and he's good to go. Gosh.

It looks like Capcom gave them the rights to literally nothing but Ryu and Ken. Since the music is just three different variations of those two's themes (for a total of 6 songs), plus only Ken has a trophy.

Like, Guile's theme was an obvious choice, as were Chun Li and M Bison trophies.

woopWOOP

Nintendo have obviously had the NX planned for a while and so it's highly likely the purpose of the ballot was also used as which characters to bring into the possible port of Smash 4 rather than make a whole new game which at this point is unneeded. If Smash NX is a combo of both 3DS and WiiU releases with all DLC and some kind of new mode that would justify a new release. As for characters? I'm not saying all bolded characters will/should make it in, those are the ones that have a good shot/deserve it. I'd also be surprised if these characters weren't towards the top of the ballot requests.
Yeah, this is about what I expect for an expanded DLC / SSB TURBO roster to be. I'm okay with this.
Aside from maybe Isabelle as a fighter (I think Villager's goofy moveset represents AC well enough and fighting her doesn't feel right (but then again you can beat up Peach so whatever)) and Dark Samus (I'll take Anthony over evil version of main character. That new Federation game makes the Federation a little more relevant for roster representation, plus they can use icebeams and perhaps other classic Metroid weapons). A Rhythm Heaven fighter would also seal the deal for me (anything but judo puncher and wrestler guy because that shit'd be uncreative as hell).

L Thammy

what is Xabungle doing in Nintendo

That isn't Xabungle, it's Dougram. And the fat one's a Scopedog with Dougram's head. I thought you surfed /m/.

But that's the thing, the ballot isn't over until October, & they still need to evaluate the results & make the characters.

Again, evaluating results will not take that long. They're going to be using a database and getting the results with SQL. It takes one query to organize all the entries by the amount of voters. Probably a few additional queries to collect alternate spellings of names, like "K. Rool" and "King K. Rool". Since they'll only be concerned with the big numbers, most of the votes will be pretty much ignored, and it shouldn't take more than an hour. How long are they going to be mulling over the list afterward?

And again, most of the ballot entries have been input by now, and that's extremely obvious from this thread. We went through fifty pages in five days and a lot of those posts were "I voted for X". Compare to the thread now.

Huh. I mean, I though Ike was implied to be bisexual, but I never played his games (And again, it's just an implication, from what I've gathered). IIRC, he can only S-Rank with men, but still flirts with female characters, right? I mean, I learned about this through a long, heated, 3 AM discussion about which Smash characters have and have not "had," which got bad enough that we needed a whiteboard to keep track of everything. Granted, we know Ike reproduced thanks to Priam, but if I'm wrong about his sexuality, that whole night will feel wasted.

Ike being gay is definitely a fanon thing for me, but that's not quite canon. With Kamui, he/she has the option to be LGB. Since we can assume that Kamui doesn't "become" bi (because that's how real life works :p), we can assume that he/she always is bi. The only player choice is whether the character acts on the bisexuality.

jph139

Again, this doesn't make any sense. K. Rool has appeared in more games and had a more prominent role in the animated series. I think both characters are popular but more people are voting for K. Rool because his inclusion in Smash would guarantee him a spot in the next DKC game. Dixie is already "back", so to speak. She was an expected choice for Smash 4 due to her recent appearance in Tropical Freeze, but since recency is irrelevant when it comes to the ballot, people would rather see K. Rool since he's generally a more interesting character and could bring things to the table that other characters can't. Adding K. Rool to the roster is more than just about filling some arbitrary villain/heavyweight quota. But the game does need more villains, and K. Rool would be a good place to start.

If we're being completely real, no one gives a shit about Dixie or K. Rool. They're minor characters that appear intermittently at best in a series that has barely existed since the late 90s. There's very little draw to either of them, on the basis of character recognition, beyond the sort of people who talk about Nintendo character worthiness on internet message boards.

But I personally think that the average consumer, when given a choice between Dixie Kong DLC and K. Rool DLC in the abstract, would probably choose Dixie. Again, no data or evidence to back that up, just a general assumption.

If we're being completely real, no one gives a shit about Dixie or K. Rool. They're minor characters that appear intermittently at best in a series that has barely existed since the late 90s. There's very little draw to either of them, on the basis of character recognition, beyond the sort of people who talk about Nintendo character worthiness on internet message boards.

But I personally think that the average consumer, when given a choice between Dixie Kong DLC and K. Rool DLC in the abstract, would probably choose Dixie. Again, no data or evidence to back that up, just a general assumption.

I would expect people with no knowledge of Dixie to look at her and assume she's a Diddy Clone, versus K Rool who looks more unique.

jph139

I would expect people with no knowledge of Dixie to look at her and assume he's a Diddy Clone, versus K Rool who looks more unique.

Ha, yeah, I immediately thought that after posting. But those people are probably currently complaining that every DLC character but Ryu has been a clone, so... not the best litmus test. I hope.

Ha, yeah, I immediately thought that after posting. But those people are probably currently complaining that every DLC character but Ryu has been a clone, so... not the best litmus test. I hope.

The people who believe Mewtwo is just a Lucario clone make me really disappointed.

The fanbase is really weird and inconsistent with labeling clones. People will defend Luigi isn't a clone until they're blue in the face (despite Luigi sharing more animations with Mario than Falco does with Fox), but then turn around and say Wolf is a clone. A character who shares as many animations with Fox as Little Mac does with Captain Falcon. And on the gameplay side, Roy has more in common with Ike than Wolf does with Fox, but nobody would ever label Roy as an Ike clone...

Rooligan

Neo Member

She also makes sense from various standpoints. She's a female character from a popular franchise, has recently appeared in a game and has been considered by Sakurai to be added to a previous game. She also does not have the leverage to be a popular newcomer in Smash 5. I think that if anybody has strong chances for a DLC spot, it'd be Dixie.

Female might have mattered, maybe, back in the days when we had the Brawl roster with barely any female characters. Now, many females were added, most of whom were completely random choices and didn't make it on their own merits. While Dixie was the biggest one who could've made it as a legitimate female, she missed the boat for getting on entirely for marking a political correctness box. Despite the lead villains had in Brawl, females are now a decent chunk ahead of them.

Whether or not you think "villain" is something silly to put up on a pedestal with "female" due to not being politically correct, the Smash fanbase very obviously has a high demand for villains with Ridley, Mewtwo, and, yes, K. Rool. The lack of these characters (at one point in time in Mewtwo's case) was the source of most negative reactions on the roster. Whether or not the ballot is a "suggestion box", it wasn't made for absolutely no reason. Many, many advertisement characters have already been added, and if it was actually of remote importance to add Dixie to advertise Tropical Freeze there was -plenty- of room for a Donkey Kong character in the initial game with a lot of the weird roster choices.

The level of "casual" fans people talk about that would apparently prefer Dixie to K. Rool due to "not knowing who K. Rool is" largely don't care about the ballot. If they know that it's a waste to send their votes for anything but a handful of characters like Dixie to actually use it on her, they're not particularly "casual", now are they? It's no secret by now that many of the obsessive fans (A label K. Rool will gladly take at this time) are sending in dozens of votes from multiple IPs, so I don't know how much "casual" votes would matter anyway.

mStudios

There hasn't been a single character added to Smash purely because she was female.

has there been a single character added to smash purely because he was male?

My point is, Male or Female does not count when being added to smash. But popularity/legacy.

Do I want more female? Hell, I'd love to play with blue aliens in smash too lol

btw, I love ZSS.

Rooligan

Neo Member

People apparently feel that Wii Fit Trainer's sales somehow justifies her as being more than a gimmicky "shock" character. People would probably justify Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age too.

Lucina is a clone, yes, but very obviously should've just been Roy from the start. Having both Roy and Lucina in simultaneously is where all of the hate directed at "Roy" came from. Lucina is arguably more of a misguided advertisement than Roy was in Melee.

Rosalina is a very random choice that appears to have made it primarily for "moveset potential"? Sakurai can make a moveset for anything, and as far as advertisements go it would've made more sense to use Toad, Paper Mario, or, god forbid, Dixie Kong. Mario would've been perfectly happy with just Bowser Jr.

Wii Fit trainer is from one of the largest IPs of last generation. Also you can be a Male Wii Fit Trainer.

Lucina was a bonus character who was added because she was requested and popular. All that fake hate against Roy went away about an hour after he was released.

Rosalina is one of the most popular Mario characters. We already know she was a higher priority than Bowser Jr, as he was the last character finished and was barely even in Smash 4 at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom