• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooligan

Neo Member
Wii Fit trainer is from one of the largest IPs of last generation. Also you can be a Male Wii Fit Trainer.

One that absolutely nobody wanted in Smash Bros.

Lucina was a bonus character who was added because she was requested and popular. All that fake hate against Roy went away about an hour after he was released.

"Fake" hate, really? We'd be kicking ourselves if we knew before that there'd be two Marth clones, much less that Nintendo would have the gall to expect us to buy one of them.

Rosalina is one of the most popular Mario characters. We already know she was a higher priority than Bowser Jr, as he was the last character finished and was barely even in Smash 4 at all.

Rosalina was extremely unrequested in comparison to the mentioned characters (Toad, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong). Yes, she was higher priority than Bowser Jr., a character who obviously deserved it much more, showcasing the favorable priority given to her. Rosalina is the most blatant black and white case here.

Zubz

Banned
One that absolutely nobody wanted in Smash Bros.

Hey, I may not have asked for her, but I sure as hell want her to stay now that she's in! Smash's surprise characters have always been fantastic, and even with Lucas back, Wii Fit Trainer's still one of my mains (Until I spend a lot more time with Lucas, she's my top pick).

Plus, before Brawl came out, I kept trying to think of surprise characters that they could still use after R.O.B. I had quite a few ideas, like Nester, Mr. Stevenson, or a basic Primid from SSE. I kept thinking of older titles or Smash-original characters, so when I heard the Wii Fit Trainer got in, I just about lost my mind! I would have done the same for Duck Hunt if it wasn't for that leak, too. Honestly, predictable characters like Palutena and Shulk are cool and all, but the left field characters are my favorite. Granted, there's not really a way to vote for a character I wouldn't expect in this ballot, hence the Ridley/Wonder Red bias... Though I guess I'd still be surprised if any of those 3 examples I gave got in?

People apparently feel that Wii Fit Trainer's sales somehow justifies her as being more than a gimmicky "shock" character. People would probably justify Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age too.

Lucina is a clone, yes, but very obviously should've just been Roy from the start. Having both Roy and Lucina in simultaneously is where all of the hate directed at "Roy" came from. Lucina is arguably more of a misguided advertisement than Roy was in Melee.

Rosalina is a very random choice that appears to have made it primarily for "moveset potential"? Sakurai can make a moveset for anything, and as far as advertisements go it would've made more sense to use Toad, Paper Mario, or, god forbid, Dixie Kong. Mario would've been perfectly happy with just Bowser Jr.

Moveset potential? How about the fact that she's being pushed as a main character in the Mario series?

There hasn't been a single character added to Smash purely because she was female.
As a female that wants more females, I must say ZSS was probably added due to her uh...sexiness factor.

I mean adding a "character" that just appears at a game over screen or at the end is about the most random thing. I am not a huge Metroid player but I may be wrong, but in Metroid she doesn't seem like all that much. Tho I do belive you play as her in the end of one of the games so I may be wrong. (Fusion?) but that still doesn't seem like enough to add her in Smash or even back in the day tack her on to an already existing character. It just seemed so random in Brawl for her to be shieked on.

And despite my love of the character, Rosalina seems like an odd choice before Toad or Paper Mario. I ain't complaining, but even with the way they were pushing her it just seemed random. Like Snake, a favor Sakurai did for someone.

Most other female characters are only in because they are a custom character. And as much as I'm glad Robin and Villager are in its kinda feels sad for some reason. Tho its understandable because theres just not alot of female characters that are popular enough or revelent enough to warrant a spot unless they just keep adding Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem characters. (Which Sakurai doesn't seem to mind.)

Lucina and Palutena seem like the only main female characters added that deserved a spot or weren't just an alt. (In Smash 4) if there was one thing I wished they would do in a update its that I could change the CSS icon to the female version (as well as Alph and Koopalings) its really odd that you can't.

Female versions being alts for Robin and Villager also prevented them from having Amiibos which still irk me. >_>

But even with some limitations I am still glad with all the new female characters overall. Robin is my new main afterall. The only realistic choice of female only characters (meaning not custom since Inklings would def be up there) I feel may stand a chance are Dixie(High chance), Viridi (Low) or maybe a retro/general FE rep like Anna (Lower)or Tiki.(even lower) But Tiki may be completely 100% out depending on if Fates avatar some how makes it in but the timing of If/Fates is iffy...then again Sakurai is apparantly a big FE fan so who knows. :p

I seem to remember Sakurai saying that ZSS was added both to include a Metroid character and a female character in some fashion, but I might be wrong.

Rooligan

Neo Member
Moveset potential? How about the fact that she's being pushed as a main character in the Mario series?

Showing up in spinoffs and as a bonus unlockable character in a mainstream game is enough to be "pushed as a main character"? She was largely replaced in Galaxy 2 by a fat Luma man and just got a cameo. You see, Toad over there already is a main character with a very long history. In Super Mario 3D World, the game that apparently makes Rosalina relevant, Toad is an -actual- main character, not a bonus you get once a large chunk of the game's content is finished.

mStudios

Holy shit, That is an extreme thing to say. Don't you think?

Samus wasn't added because of her sexiness AT ALL. Don't you remember brawl? She was regular Samus after a Final Smash/Hold L in her character selection. If Metroid needed another rep. ZSS was the only true and acceptable choice. She just happened to be sexy. If she was an ugly girl, she would be added too, regardless of how she looked. Also, Samus has always been sexy, in every single game. Whoever says otherwise is wrong. You can look it up by yourself.

Holy shit, That is an extreme thing to say. Don't you think?

Extreme? Hardly. She has a baby incarnation, she has a playable role among the four other main characters of the series, and she's in like every single spin-off. Suggesting that Rosalina is a whatever character at this point is kind of silly.

Showing up in spinoffs and as a bonus unlockable character in a mainstream game is enough to be "pushed as a main character"? She was largely replaced in Galaxy 2 by a fat Luma man and just got a cameo. You see, Toad over there already is a main character with a very long history. In Super Mario 3D World, the game that apparently makes Rosalina relevant, Toad is an -actual- main character, not a bonus you get once a large chunk of the game's content is finished.

Toad is a main character because he is a main character from SMB2. If he wasn't in SMB2, he wouldn't have value. Stop trying to spite Rosalina because Toad isn't playable - especially considering how easy it is to denigrate Toad.

Female might have mattered, maybe, back in the days when we had the Brawl roster with barely any female characters. Now, many females were added, most of whom were completely random choices and didn't make it on their own merits. While Dixie was the biggest one who could've made it as a legitimate female, she missed the boat for getting on entirely for marking a political correctness box. Despite the lead villains had in Brawl, females are now a decent chunk ahead of them.

Whether or not you think "villain" is something silly to put up on a pedestal with "female" due to not being politically correct, the Smash fanbase very obviously has a high demand for villains with Ridley, Mewtwo, and, yes, K. Rool. The lack of these characters (at one point in time in Mewtwo's case) was the source of most negative reactions on the roster. Whether or not the ballot is a "suggestion box", it wasn't made for absolutely no reason. Many, many advertisement characters have already been added, and if it was actually of remote importance to add Dixie to advertise Tropical Freeze there was -plenty- of room for a Donkey Kong character in the initial game with a lot of the weird roster choices.

Adding more female characters has absolutely nothing to do with "political correctness". Adding more female characters has more something to do with the fact that female gamers want characters they can identify with when picking them. I've played plenty of times with female players before - my sister, just generally female friends or the girlfriends, sisters or even mothers of people I am befriended with. Most of them gravitate towards either Kirby or, more often, female characters. I've seen my sister play most often with Zelda, while the girlfriend of one buddy of mine loves playing as the female Robin. His mom enjoys playing Wii Fit Trainer, and always picks the one with the yellow shirt.
And while Smash 4 added a big chunk of female characters, I'd still argue that it wouldn't hurt to have more female representation.

I understand the villain argument. Really, I do. I've been heavily pushing for Ridley and Captain Syrup, personally - just ask any of the SmashGAF regulars. And I've also been hoping very much for Samurai Goroh or some other F-Zero villain. But villains aren't a group of real life people that would like more characters they can identify with.

Either way, I don't see how the new female characters are "random choices" that were "only picked cause they are girls". I'm sure that adding female representation was something Sakurai wanted to pursue, but it certainly is not something that he is putting an emphasis on.

I don't think I really need to argue for the merit of including Villager. But: Him, Robin and Jr. were predominantly presented as male characters in promotional material, and their main selection is male.

After the main 4, Rosalina is one of the most natural additions to Smash for the Mario franchise. She's getting pushed to be adopted into the "main family" of Mario characters, is incredibly popular with the fanbase, and also represents modern Mario, while Bowser Jr. is more representative of the "New" Mario Bros. series - Wendy barely, if at all, counts as a female addition imo.

Palutena has been a main character in the last game Sakurai created. She was already a support character in previous Kid Icarus games, and got a massive revival due to Uprising and her redesign, as well as her appearance in Brawl, as Pit's Final Smash. The new game also was pretty damn popular, especially in Japan.

Robin is not only a unique addition to the game (due to his sword/magic style), but he also is the player avatar from the most recent Fire Emblem game, and pretty much akin to Marth, Roy or Ike for their respective games. Additionally, he represents a whole new concept for the series (as players never were able to create an avatar before Robin). As mentioned, however, Robin is defaulted to male. Lucina is more a coincidental addition than a planned one; she originally was supposed to be a alt costume for Marth, but ended up with her own spot on the roster because Sakurai had some leftover development time and decided to beef up the selection. And even though Lucina is a clone, she at least gives more representation to female characters.

Lastly, Wii Fit Trainer has been the fourth main female character in promotional material, although half of her alts are male. And even though people say "Yeah, well, she's one of Sakurai's wacky things to troll us", and even disregarding the sales argument, the Wii Fit Trainer character is very recognizable, believe it or not. With the massive success of the Wii last generation, and the massive success of Wii Fit, many many people can see the Wii Fit Trainer and recognize her as such. Furthermore, she fits the mold as a Smash Bros. character so well that I don't understand why people still argue her inclusion is random and without merit.

Oh wow, Rooligan's salt. "Dixie Kong's only chance is political correctness". Yup - one of the main characters of one of the most well-known and well-liked series on the Super NES, clearly she's only in because of PC. Yeah, just ignore the fact that she almost made it into Smash, ignore the fact that people have liked the prospect of Dixie Kong for a long time.

"When being a K. Rool fan goes wrong."

Rooligan

Neo Member
Oh wow, Rooligan's salt. "Dixie Kong's only chance is political correctness". Yup - one of the main characters of one of the most well-known and well-liked series on the Super NES, clearly she's only in because of PC. Yeah, just ignore the fact that she almost made it into Smash, ignore the fact that people have liked the prospect of Dixie Kong for a long time.

Yes, that is clearly what I meant, right? What I was actually doing was degrading her chances of being in exclusively for her gender. I said plenty of times throughout the posts she's an actual female that could make it without having to rely on a gender card.

Please continue trying to turn me into an epic meme.

Toad is a main character because he is a main character from SMB2. If he wasn't in SMB2, he wouldn't have value. Stop trying to spite Rosalina because Toad isn't playable - especially considering how easy it is to denigrate Toad.

I hate Toad, but I wouldn't complain about him being in Smash Bros because he actually feels like he belongs there. As far as Rosalina using gender, do you really think that if Lubba from Galaxy 2 was the guy that took off and got Rosalina's roles in spin offs and as a bonus unlockable character that he'd have managed to get in?

I mean I can understand where Rooligan is coming from where people support whatever Sakurai does (like he could add a giant rock and people would call it the best thing ever just so long as "it was fun to play as"). That is definitely the case with characters like Wii Fit Trainer where people feel like they have to love it because it's in the game. And Brawl's roster was way better and less disliked than this one and independently of the genders of its characters too.

Yes, that is clearly what I meant, right? What I was actually doing was degrading her chances of being in exclusively for her gender. I said plenty of times throughout the posts she's an actual female that could make it without having to rely on a gender card.

Please continue trying to turn me into an epic meme.

I hate Toad, but I wouldn't complain about him being in Smash Bros because he actually feels like he belongs there. As far as Rosalina using gender, do you really think that if Lubba from Galaxy 2 was the guy that took off and got Rosalina's roles in spin offs and as a bonus unlockable character that he'd have managed to get in?

So to confirm, Rosalina "took off" (because of popularity) and it's officially not okay for Smash to cast popular characters.

Yo, you're the fringe, your argument is fringey as shit. You're basically complaining that Sakurai added someone you didn't like. Deal.

Rooligan

Neo Member
So to confirm, Rosalina "took off" (because of popularity) and it's officially not okay for Smash to cast popular characters.

Yo, you're the fringe, your argument is fringey as shit. You're basically complaining that Sakurai added someone you didn't like. Deal.

Popularity that did not exist for her Smash inclusion as previously stated.

"Your argument is bad and you're an epic meme. Shut up."

The popularity definitely existed before she was revealed for Smash. She was an immensely popular character in the Mario Kart games she was in, to the point that Nintendo decided to give her a Baby version in MK8, and make her playable in various other titles, including Smash and 3D World.

Denying that she was a popular character before being in Smash is silly.

Popularity that did not exist for her Smash inclusion as previously stated.

"Your argument is bad and you're an epic meme. Shut up."

"Don't try to meme me! *proceeds to attempt to meme you*"

k

People were asking for her before she was announced. It was not some small contingent of fans. Here's the only arguments I've ever seen:

1. No moveset potential (which can also be called "an argument people make because they're bad at making arguments")
2. "Why not someone who isn't from Mario huh?"
3. "BUT TOAD"

Rosalina got in on her own merits. She had already proven herself by the time she got into Smash. Sorry that Sakurai didn't make the game especially for you :V

People never asked for her for Smash until like weeks before her reveal and even then it was just a few people, most thought she should just stay a costume or something.

It's sucky how much bias there is in hindsight with the roster. You get in one way or the other and people say your game was a MASSIVE success and you were a BELOVED character with OODLES of move set choices...and you miss out, no matter who you are, and you get "No one cares about your stupid character and only vocal fans wanted him and his games are overrated, he'd probably be a clone too because clones are only defensible once they're on the roster." Tell me that isn't the truth.

Why is it that fans of K. Rool are always so full of hatred, so vile and toxic? It's utterly disgusting.

I seem to remember Sakurai saying that ZSS was added both to include a Metroid character and a female character in some fashion, but I might be wrong.

I remember that as well, now that you mention it.

I mean, I even can understand that approach. We've already had 2 versions of Mario and Link, 2 forms of Zelda, and 2 stages of evolution for Pichu/Pikachu. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have another character get 2 versions.
And with Metroid it makes sense, too. It's not a game franchise that has many characters that would work, in the first place, and the Zero Suit allows Samus' agility to come to play, since she's not wearing a bulky armor.

L Thammy

Here's a fun game. Try to think of all the human characters in Mario. Not mushroom people, actual humans. Here's all the ones I can think of:

- Mario
- Pauline
- Luigi
- Peach
- Daisy
- Foreman Spike
- Wario
- Waluigi
- E. Gadd
- Rosalina

I don't think I'm missing any. Now, it seems to me that human characters in Mario are extremely rare, so if they aren't swept under the rug like Pauline and Spike, they end up being ridiculously popular.

Not coincidentally, half of the list I just posted are playable characters. Of the remaining five, two were represented by alt colours (Spike and Daisy), one is an assist trophy.

I don't think I'm missing any.

You actually are: Captain Syrup. She's proper part of the Marioverse (and not only part of Wario's universe), as she steals a statue from the Mushroom Kingdom (or was it Sarasaland? One of those 2 in any case) in Wario Land 1.
With the other Wario-related characters (i.e. WarioWare characters and Cannoli from Master of Disguise) it's never clarified if they're part of the Mario universe or not, however.

And you could even make an argument for the Babies.

People never asked for her for Smash until like weeks before her reveal and even then it was just a few people, most thought she should just stay a costume or something.

It's sucky how much bias there is in hindsight with the roster. You get in one way or the other and people say your game was a MASSIVE success and you were a BELOVED character with OODLES of move set choices...and you miss out, no matter who you are, and you get "No one cares about your stupid character and only vocal fans wanted him and his games are overrated, he'd probably be a clone too because clones are only defensible once they're on the roster." Tell me that isn't the truth.

That's a serious chip, my friend. Especially the whole attempt to characterize the defense of effortless clones that serve as an alternative to nothing as being foolish or fanboyish.

If you don't like the clones, then I want you to tell me honestly that you prefer a game that offers less, because that's the sole alternative. Removing Dark Pit doesn't get K. Rool into the game.

Why is it that fans of K. Rool are always so full of hatred, so vile and toxic? It's utterly disgusting.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27914-1403703970-4.gif

Those are some pretty bad generalizations dudes. Play nice.

Those are some pretty bad generalizations dudes. Play nice.

I dunno, maybe I'm just noticing the bad ones more than anyone else, but I've never seen anybody else try to revise history into making Rosalina a really obscure and nonsensical character choice that only got picked for Smash Bros cause she happened to have tits.

Personally I was hoping for her to become a character, but I said that having her as a costume would be acceptable as well, and didn't expect anything more. And I think the same can be said about most people. If you expect too much, you end up being a K. Rool fan trying to argue about the perceived popularity of the character you like vs. the characters that got chosen.
Or you end up being a Ridley fan in resignation because you know Ridley is never ever gonna happen anyway.

Palutena probably wouldn't be playable in Smash 4 if Sakurai didn't direct Uprising, but I don't think her gender has anything to do with it. No, I don't think they should start adding characters to fill quotas, whether it be a female quota, a villain quota, or what have you. A character should get in based on his or her own merits, which Dixie has. She's one of Nintendo's only leading ladies and she still isn't playable in their crossover fighting game, yet comparatively minor characters like Palutena and Rosalina are. Rosalina was never highly requested, but she has always had a vocal fanbase. They just assumed that Sakurai wouldn't add yet another Mario character, and he surprised us all by adding both Rosalina AND the Koopalings. I don't necessarily agree with that decision, but complaining about her inclusion isn't going to make her go away, so what's the point? I have noticed some people claim that every newcomer in SSB4 is some super highly requested character when that simply isn't the case, but it's a moot point. Rosalina is here to stay.

Wii Fit Trainer was an odd choice, but it works. While it may be true that nobody asked for her, I think her inclusion is warranted. Like her or not, she represents an important point of Nintendo's history. I don't know if I can say the same about Mario character #7. I've compiled a list of, in my opinion, worthy Nintendo characters that belong to what I like to call "Smash Minorities." Basically, this includes females, villains, and any potential ethnic minorities. Blanket statements like "people only care about Dixie because she's female" or "people only care about K. Rool because he's a villain" are really shallow and irritating. It happens more often than you think, especially when people blindly dismiss K. Rool as a Bowser clone.

Captain Syrup - Major villain in the Wario Land series
Dixie Kong - Major protagonist in the DK series
King K. Rool - Major antagonist in the DK series
Krystal - Major protagonist in the Star Fox series
Medusa - Major villain in the Kid Icarus series
Mr. Sandman - Major antagonist in the Punch-Out series and is of African American descent
Ridley - Major antagonist in the Metroid series
Samurai Goroh - Major antagonist in the F-Zero series and is of Japanese descent

Why are you acting like a child and making sweeping generalizations about an entire fanbase because some guy doesn't like Rosalina?

That's a serious chip, my friend. Especially the whole attempt to characterize the defense of effortless clones that serve as an alternative to nothing as being foolish or fanboyish.

If you don't like the clones, then I want you to tell me honestly that you prefer a game that offers less, because that's the sole alternative. Removing Dark Pit doesn't get K. Rool into the game.

No no, I don't have a chip, I am observing. Like you can go on GameFaqs and see people bash K. Rool, Dixie, Isaac or whoever (And Mega Man and BJ before the game) about being nothing but clone fodder, but then you get to the clones in the game and people defend clones nonstop, even if it's just defending why they didn't waste time if not them as characters. It's just this convenient change of mind that just so happens to always match with what Sakurai does. That's not an organic "seeing error of ways" type thing.

Opinions many hold on X character before roster is revealed:

X sucks

Opinions many hold on X character after roster is revealed:

X sucks

What you're describing is a constant. People will bash King K. Rool until the dawn of time - his presence or absence is irrelevant. The people who hate the character shut up if that character gets revealed because they got schooled, and the people who hate the character get louder if that character doesn't get revealed.

I never would've thought to say this about you, but this is actually a reasonable and solid post, and I couldn't even argue with those character choices.
Thank you for contributing in a positive way.

Why are you acting like a child and making sweeping generalizations about an entire fanbase because some guy doesn't like Rosalina?

Can you explain in what way I'm acting like "a child"? I've been nothing but respectful in my arguments. It's not like I've been trying to argue against K. Rool (though I personally think Dixie would be a better choice, but personal preferences and all) or metaphorically stomped with my foot. I am merely observing that the vocal K. Rool fans in this thread are posting the most vile garbage I've seen in the SmashGAF threads for quite a while.

Besides, this isn't the first generalization that's been made about a fanbase here. "Nobody wanted Rosalina, except like 2 guys a week or so before she was revealed, and only as a costume" or "people just want more female characters because it's politically correct to ask for more females" are just as much generalizations as the one I made - and those were by your fellow brothers in arms.

I gotta agree with Arremer on this one. It was a fairly unfair generalization, but at the same time it's griping about a couple K. Rool fans who were making pretty marked generalizations about everyone else. "You only want X because she's a lady!" That kind of deal.

What if we get both K. Rool and Dixie? Nintendo doesn't really have many large unrepresented series now, and so could expand its internal (non-3rd party) roster by pulling multiple characters from a series. Donkey Kong has been a big series for Nintendo, and adding both K. Rool and Dixie would be a great way to bolster not only the series' representation, but the history reflected by the characters (even if Dixie is from both the past and present of the series)

Trust Gonzo, he's an expert on Rosalina ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tehee :3

Kouichi

Rosalina has been popular since Galaxy came out and it amazes me how many people still haven't realized/accepted this. I still see people claim that she's being shoehorned into games as if her huge fanbase doesn't exist.

oh god don't remind me

I would not be opposed to that.

Gonzo (at least from the bit I've read of the thread) beat me to including both of them in, so he deserves the credit on that idea, but it would be the best way to represent the series, balance out the history, do something a little unexpected, and satisfy a good portion of the fanbase.

Can you explain in what way I'm acting like "a child"? I've been nothing but respectful in my arguments. It's not like I've been trying to argue against K. Rool (though I personally think Dixie would be a better choice, but personal preferences and all) or metaphorically stomped with my foot. I am merely observing that the vocal K. Rool fans in this thread are posting the most vile garbage I've seen in the SmashGAF threads for quite a while.

Besides, this isn't the first generalization that's been made about a fanbase here. "Nobody wanted Rosalina, except like 2 guys a week or so before she was revealed, and only as a costume" or "people just want more female characters because it's politically correct to ask for more females" are just as much generalizations as the one I made - and those were by your fellow brothers in arms.

Calling people "toxic" and "vile" doesn't sound very respectful to me, or necessary for that matter. I don't see how some guy arguing that Rosalina is only in the game because of her gender (which is a callous yet valid opinion) is any worse than the myriad of people who constantly call K. Rool fat, ugly, and dismiss his chances due to irrelevancy, even going as far as to say that he's "better off dead". Those too are callous, yet valid opinions. That doesn't mean I should make unfair generalizations like "NeoGAF hates K. Rool", which certain people have actually done thanks to a few vocal detractors who used to post in this thread. Generalizations are often harmful and serve only to undermine the validity of one's statement based on which label they have been branded with. K. Rool is arguably the most popular Nintendo all-star left, even more so than Ridley to due his Japanese popularity, so you're bound to encounter a few bad apples who brandish the "KrocTheVote" hashtag.

Saying "nobody wanted Rosalina" is factually incorrect, but I think it's fair to say that she wasn't as highly requested as certain characters that didn't get in (Ridley and K. Rool being the most notable). That doesn't make her a lesser character, nor does it mean that she doesn't deserve to be in the game. Because after all, it's a subjective thing. There is no objective method behind determining which characters truly "deserve" to be playable. However, there does seem to be a pervasive sense of revisionism within the Smash community, where, regardless of which character gets in, people will defend the choice and call the fanbase "ungrateful" in attempt to shame them for having dissenting opinions. I think this has more to do with the fact that fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool are still missing and less to do with malice towards female characters. I feel the same way regarding Rosalina, since some of my favorite characters, like Diddy Kong and Birdo, have all but disappeared from Mario spin-offs while Rosalina's presence is greater than ever. This is why I am vehemently opposed to the idea of "cutting" characters, or even worse, replacing them. I literally don't care who they add at this point as long as the DK series, my favorite series, is adequately represented going forward.

Rooligan

Neo Member
What does this epic meme stuff mean? Does meme mean complaining about vaginas now or something?

Well, if you recall, you compared me to "Rosalina Amiibo guy" for daring to question Rosalina was a deserving choice. If that's not trying to turn me into a negative meme, I don't really know what is.

Much less a post like this. I have been made quite the "epic meme" for dissenting opinions.

Speaking of the topic of turning users into memes...

I've never seen anybody else try to revise history into making Rosalina a really obscure and nonsensical character choice that only got picked for Smash Bros cause she happened to have tits.

Yeah, see, over here, it looks like people are trying to revise history into making Rosalina a highly relevant and logical character choice that was apparently some kind of shoe-in for being a bonus character in Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World.

People would laugh at the idea of Rosalina or Greninja being suggested, Rosalina was only steps above something like Daisy. Any character that gets in, though, retroactively gets a gigantic active defense force. I don't know what Smash discussions you were looking at where Rosalina was a commonly suggested character.

"bonus character in Mario Kart"

Uh

She's just a regular character, lol.

Anyway, yeah, don't try and act like you weren't complaining about characters whose merits are apparently their gender.

I read it as his distaste for characters who people retroactively deify when they had little to nothing to their name previous.

Gonzo put a bow on the topic nicely IMO

Rooligan

Neo Member
"bonus character in Mario Kart"

Uh

She's just a regular character, lol.

She is character #5290 alongside generic enemies and babies is why I used the word "bonus". I don't think that exactly holds a lot of value.

Anyway, yeah, don't try and act like you weren't complaining about characters whose merits are apparently their gender.

Sorry, I can't do that, not when you are constantly trying to tell me exactly what I said with passive aggression so blatant there's nothing really "passive" about it.

Well I didn't say my observation of the particular K. Rool fans in this very topic were respectful, I was talking about the remainder of my posts (including the rest of the one in which I made said observation).

And you are certainly exaggerating. Do you know why very few people were extremely vocal about Rosalina? Because the mainline of Mario characters were already there. We had Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and the side-series characters of Wario, Yoshi and Donkey Kong. Not counting Wario as a Mario character (since he mainly represents his own 2 series more so than the Mario series), we even went down one Mario character in the transition from Melee to Brawl - Dr. Mario.
There just wasn't a lot of expectation for an additional Mario character; the last time the roster changed, it went down, and people felt uneasy about making speculations on very recent characters such as Bowser Jr. and Rosalina, while Toad was disregarded because he's very generic, even more so than Yoshi (who has a plethora of unique abilities).
Additionally, Rosalina's status as spin-off character was all but secure early on. She got skipped in a Mario Tennis game because of time restraints (Luma got in instead) and she wasn't made a playable but a boardmaster in one Mario Party game. However, since then, she's become a fan favourite in Mario Kart Wii and especially 7.

In regards to Smash, I've seen plenty of people suggest Rosalina, though, and not only as a costume. Again, personally, I expected her to be a costume at best given the track record for Mario characters and the recency of the character. For me, IF we were to get a new Mario character, it was either between her or Jr. - little did I know, eh? However, the moment she was revealed for 3D World I knew she was gonna be playable in Smash (and I argued as much back then).

Suggesting that the character wasn't popular or didn't have (m)any supporters prior to her reveal is being in denial. They just weren't as vocal or didn't have as many expectations simply because the character is both recent and from a series that had been reduced by one character before. Nobody truly expected a Mario newcomer, let alone 2, and Dr. Mario returning. That's why the discussions were fairly quiet about her, and Mario characters in general.

Well, if you recall, you compared me to "Rosalina Amiibo guy" for daring to question Rosalina was a deserving choice. If that's not trying to turn me into a negative meme, I don't really know what is.

Much less a post like this. I have been made quite the "epic meme" for dissenting opinions.

Speaking of the topic of turning users into memes...

I don't think you understand what the word "meme" means.

I read it as his distaste for characters who people retroactively deify when they had little to nothing to their name previous.

Gonzo put a bow on the topic nicely IMO

"Playable in a mainline Mario game"

Sounds like a pretty decent accomplishment.

It's just sad that people have to make it a competition. K. Rool's not in? Must be because X is in.

Kouichi

Can we talk about how amazing Ryu is?

Ryuuuuuuuuu

Man I love playing as Ryu. The Smash team handled him so well. Props to them.

Ryu mirrors are a lot fun since it sort of feels like a Street Fighter match. Playing the fireball game and then baiting the player to jump in so you can punish with up smash or shoryuken.

"Playable in a mainline Mario game"

Sounds like a pretty decent accomplishment.

It's just sad that people have to make it a competition. K. Rool's not in? Must be because X is in.

And yet Toad's many playable appearances get him a fat old goose egg and because Sakurai made that choice, he gets dumped on for being generic while Rosalina gets paraded around as like the "logical" next step. This post will probably get some response where people downplay his uniqueness or whatever as if it were objective that he couldn't have a great moveset, all because they don't have to defend what didn't pan out. That's the point here

Heck, if we're talking Dixie's cred, she's been in 3-5 main games playable.

Development constraints are a thing too, even if the fanbase's "slots" argument is a load of phooey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom