• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only voice complaints are as follows:

-Too much recycling among the veterans. It was fine when it was just Yoshi/Marth/Jiggly, but roughly half the cast reuses old recordings, contributing to a weird lack of freshness across both games.
-Almost none of the Kid Icarus: Uprising cast reprised their roles barring Antony Del Rio (Pit/Dark Pit). Granted, their replacements do a great job, but it's not the same.
-The Star Fox cast, 'nuff said. The Orbital Gate Assault convos alone give Chris Seavor's Slippy/Peppy in Melee a run for their money.

Mario and Luigi sound fine to me (the latter's actually one of my favorite Martinet performances), and I'm always tickled at the thought of Sakurai voicing one of his own creations. At the very least I'd rather have that than 4Kids' Evil Foghorn Leghorn (and Spanish Meta Knight. Christ, did we dodge a bullet there).

Ryce

The only voices that bother me are DK, Diddy, and Bowser, and Sakurai's justification doesn't make any sense to me either.

Can't say Sakurai's explanation makes sense to me either but it's such a non-issue for me that the animal/VA voices may as well be interchangeable. *shrugs*

Although, I actually really like the noises for Diddy so maybe I'd be sad to see them go.

Don't even get my started on the "monster" filter Smash 4 shoved on Dedede's perfect Brawl voice.

Wait, they recorded new voices for Mario/Luigi in this game? I was under the impression they just reused voice clips from Melee/Brawl.

Melee used the same lines as Smash 64. Those lines were ripped directly from Mario 64. Luigi was just a pitch changed Mario voice with some lines re-organized so people didn't know what was up (but we did). 64 and Melee did this for a lot of characters, it just took voices from their main game and re-purposed them. This sometimes led to hilarious things like Ganondorf only having one jump sound ("tch") and not having a sleep sound so he just makes a bear or boar or some animal sound bank snore. Which imo is actually great and fits Ganondorf and Sakurai must have agreed because Ganondorf still snores like a large animal when he sleeps instead of making human noises. So that's whatever.

Brawl finally gave the Mario Bros their own voices unique to Smash (and most characters, really). And because Brawl was a serious game for serious gamers, Mario and Luigi for whatever reason, were recorded with a gravely lower pitch voice. It's not as bad with Luigi as it is with Mario. Mario is just disgusting. It sounds like someone trying to pretend to be Mario. Or like, ol' Chuck had a cold. Either way, they needed to redo those lines badly. Or just go the Smash 64/Melee route and rip from Mario 3D World/Galaxy/Whatever. It's even worse in Smash 4 because Doc uses Mario's voice, so two characters have this garbage recording.

I imagine they told him to be super srs business with Wario too, we just can't notice it because Wario's voice is already low pitched and gravely.

And it's not like they're opposed to straight rips from other games, because Toon Link is still rocking his Wind Waker sound bank, taken right from the source.

I don't understand how they can go so right with some characters like Roy, Lucario, Wii Fit Trainer and Robin and then go and mess it up with Palutena, Mewtwo and some of the Brawl rips that desperately needed to be redone, like the Mario Bros and Bowser. Oh, and poor Jigglypuff still using her Smash 64 voice lines all these years later and it shows if you listen closely in sound test as how low quality they are.

But might as well redo Dedede's voice for Smash 4. Go right ahead and take a great voice and make it sound more "monster" like because villains can only make generic monster sounds. Not allowed to have personality with the villains. Like, seriously. Why?

Sakurai as King Dedede still takes the cake as the worst voice. I mean, what is that? You imagine he'd sound something similar to the Kirby anime, or at least like a less serious Meta Knight, but nope. He sounds like someone's queefing on metallic sheets.

Sakurai is actually the original voice of Dedede way back in Kirby 64. There's nothing wrong with Dedede's Brawl voice, I actually really like it. For some reason they decided to lower the pitch and slap a dumb filter on it for Smash 4.

I'm actually really, really glad that Smash remains the sole fortress among the Nintendo games which have Donkey Kong that doesn't use his really dumb cackly-screech voice that they introduced in one of the Mario Kart games.

I would want to strangle anybody who plays Donkey Kong against me if that were the case. Based Sakurai saving us from "HOO HEE HEE!!!".

RomanceDawn

I'm actually really, really glad that Smash remains the sole fortress among the Nintendo games which have Donkey Kong that doesn't use his really dumb cackly-screech voice that they introduced in one of the Mario Kart games.

I would want to strangle anybody who plays Donkey Kong against me if that were the case. Based Sakurai saving us from "HOO HEE HEE!!!".

So how much do you hate the DK Country theme where DK sings? Since Jungle Beat I have adored that voice.

I don't remember which one you're referring to, and would appreciate a link to what you mean.

Bask in its glory

So how much do you hate the DK Country theme where DK sings? Since Jungle Beat I have adored that voice.

I too really like the voice. I thought it was dumb when I first heard it in MKDS, but it really grew on me and now I have a hard time imagining DK without it.

Ideally for DK I'd have his normal voice, Diddy would use his Diddy Kong Racing/DK64 voice and K Rool would use his cartoon voice.

That's not likely to ever happen though.

That's not my favorite version of the DK Theme in Smash though. I've always liked Brawl's version, since it's based on the Arcade Original and is a neat little medley. Let's not speak of the other DK arcade medley.

Neiteio

I want Impa.

Here's how I'd add Impa.

Take her most recent depiction, in Hyrule Warriors, the most successful Zelda spinoff yet, the one that is on WiiU and will soon be on 3DS. The design that combines elements of her classic OoT appearance and her more modern Skyward Sword appearance. It's relevant. It's stylish.

And it's capable. Make her a stance change character with two stances you can toggle freely between on the fly:

Stance 1: Giant's Knife (with water spells):

Hyrule_Warriors_Artwork_Impa_Giant_Blade.png

Stance 2: Naginata (with fire spells):

Now THAT would be an interesting new Zelda character. And beyond Donkey Kong, of Ninty's BIG franchises (which no longer include Metroid, sorry), Zelda is the one most in need of a newcomer.

Neoxon

I want Impa.

Here's how I'd add Impa.

Take her most recent depiction, in Hyrule Warriors, the most successful Zelda spinoff yet, the one that is on WiiU and will soon be on 3DS. The design that combines elements of her classic OoT appearance and her more modern Skyward Sword appearance. It's relevant. It's stylish.

And it's capable. Make her a stance change character with two stances you can toggle freely between on the fly:

Now THAT would be an interesting new Zelda character. And beyond Donkey Kong, of Ninty's BIG franchises (which no longer include Metroid, sorry), Zelda is the one most in need of a newcomer.
That would depend on a number of things. One, it'd depend on Sakurai's stance on non-TP designs (granted, there's Toon Link, but the whole point of him is to stick out compared to the TP-based characters & serve as the spiritual successor to Young Link). Then there's the issue of this interpretation of Impa being third party in origin. I'd say that the Star Fox Assault representation in the game would alleviate this possible issue, but Namco made Smash 4. Plus they could just as easily ask the TP character designer to whip up an Impa design to be more in line with the other Zelda characters like what was done for Sheik.

For the record, I'd be completely on board with a HW-based Impa & I get this is just nit-picking. But these are the two main things buzzing in my head over the likelihood of a HW-based Impa. Though if I had to be completely honest, while another Zelda character would be nice, it isn't necessary. 5 is a solid-ass number. However, given Zelda's prominence, there's definitely room for another.
Here's hoping that Zelda U has Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, & Impa so Sakurai can have his unified design language for the Zelda reps in Smash 5 (again, sans Toon Link) & everyone can be happy.

Masked Man

I said wow
Unless another FE comes out in the meantime. We also jumped over Gen 3 Pokemon.
Either way, I'd love to see her, she's not a swordswoman but a spear fighter with water magic. Very unique.
Lucina should go back to being an alt of Marth, honestly. Same with Dark Pit.

Also what the fuck is going on with that old man in the cutscene. Is he getting a massive painful boner?

I'd love Tingle, myself, but after Hyrule Warriors, it's very likely Impa is gonna pull ahead in popularity. She's also a character with a lot more legacy than Tingle - though Tingle does have his own games to show.
Honestly, I feel like both would make great additions to Smash.

Well, Gen 3 is the most boring generation design-wise, so I don't think Smash is really missing out. :3 Agreed about Aqua/Azula, though. Her fighting style is unique, her design is snazzy, and her character is just cool AF.

Haven't played through the entire game (on Chapter 13/27), but the song is a huge plot point in that it is a legendary piece of music, so my guess is
the song has some sort of purifying power, and the evil(?) King Garon is suffering from its holy(?) effects

And Zelda could probably use another rep! I wonder how much Hyrule Warriors will influence future entries in the Smash series. In order, I would like to see:
- Skull Kid (with Majora's Mask)
- Tetra
- Impa (Skyward Sword)
- Ghirahim
- Tingle

Was going to ask this. Is there a soundtrack release? Because it's pretty crap if you have to listen to some guy loudly dying in the background of this song they went to the effort to make.

They haven't announced one yet, but Awakening got a full-blown five-disc official soundtrack, so I'm sure Fates will get a similarly elaborate treatment. Really hoping to hear a full recording of the Nohr version.

It's funny, on her first reveal with next to nothing going on for her besides "cool CG intro", I thought she'd be cool because she fulfills that idea buzzing in my head that Fire Emblem characters should be more than lords with swords and could play up the notion of an old school RPG party for better character as a group versus the other Nintendo stalwarts (ex. Hero = Marth, Mage = Robin, Berserker/Knight = Ike, Merchant/Thief = Anna, Archer = Lyn, etc). A dancer would be cool as hell. What's more, the spear looks like it'd give way to some fun pokes and good reach if done well.

Yeah, I think the character selection up until Sm4sh has portrayed FE in a very limited light (Marth/Roy/Ike = strict sword-users), so it would be nice to include some more "unusual" classes. I love Anna's character, and I would happily welcome her into the Smash family.
That said, Aqua/Azura would be cool as hell! I envision her playing with a mix of close-range water-themed dance moves and long-range spear-based combat. She wouldn't steal Palutena's special place in my heart, but she would definitely earn a spot on my roster.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait people hate Bowser's voice here? I actually like his monstery voice!

Dunno about DeDeDe but I firmly believe he is, like Kirby, a "mute" here and never spoke like in the games hence why his voice.

NeonZ

I know that Kamui/Corin would be another sword user, but his partial dragon transformations - and maybe full dragon too if they can fit it somewhere outside of Final Smashes, could make him/her fairly unique. I don't think we'll ever see any IF/Fates characters in Smash though, due to the high number of FE characters already in the game and the timing of its release.

Golnei

I'd like to see Impa at some point, provided her role continues to expand in future games, but a part of me will always be disappointed that we'll never get a playable Twinrova. A shame they stopped bringing them back after the Oracle games - they'd have been a far better choice of series-wide recurring character than Tingle; who I actually liked/pitied in MM but grew steadily more grating and mascot-y as his appearances continued.

I know that Kamui/Corin would be another sword user, but his partial dragon transformations - and maybe full dragon too if they can fit it somewhere outside of Final Smashes, could make him/her fairly unique. I don't think we'll ever see any IF/Fates characters in Smash though, due to the high number of FE characters already in the game and the timing of its release.

It does seem like Fates is in a terrible spot, as far as releases go. If the 'next' Smash Bros. game is a refresh for NX released in late 2016; it'd be a little too soon, as well as being the 3rd newcomer and 6th overall character for the series in the game. And assuming a similar gap to Brawl and 4; the next two games could plausibly be out by its release. Though hopefully a manakete or similar unit does manage to make it in eventually - Tiki should always be a safe bet, considering the amount of games she's already been in, as well as being part of the rotation of characters most often chosen to represent the series as a whole; with #FE as a primary example.

That said, Aqua/Azula would be cool as hell! I envision her playing with a mix of close-range water-themed dance moves and long-range spear-based combat. She wouldn't steal Palutena's special place in my heart, but she would definitely earn a spot on my roster.

Wrong element.

Neiteio

I'd like to see Impa at some point, provided her role continues to expand in future games, but a part of me will always be disappointed that we'll never get a playable Twinrova. A shame they stopped bringing them back after the Oracle games - they'd have been a far better choice of series-wide recurring character than Tingle; who I actually liked/pitied in MM but grew steadily more grating and mascot-y as his appearances continued.
I've wanted Koume & Kotake/Twinrova since Melee. I think I designed an entire moveset for them back in 2001. They were like Ice Climbers in one form, and then you could Down B to transform into Twinrova, like Zelda changing into Sheik. Nowadays Twinrova would be a Final Smash, however, and apparently the 3DS can't handle characters like the Ice Climbers.

Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land is a genuinely fantastic game, and I like it a lot. I actually am very sad about America hating Tingle so much Nintendo was afraid of bringing out the game over there, and am very glad Europe got it.
It's really wacky and a true hidden gem.

Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land is a genuinely fantastic game, and I like it a lot. I actually am very sad about America hating Tingle so much Nintendo was afraid of bringing out the game over there, and am very glad Europe got it.
It's really wacky and a true hidden gem.

I agree. Tingle is my second most wanted newcomer behind K. Rool, but I've accepted the fact that he'll probably never be playable because an entire region (unfairly) loathes him.

I also don't expect Impa unless her role grows beyond SS and a spin-off. A very fun spin-off, mind, but there's the reasons Golnei raised and I dunno how they'd be able to get around how huge her weapons are, lol.

...then again, I remember thinking the same for Shulk's Monado, so it just goes to show how limited my imagination is.

Zelda's in a weird spot where requests for characters outside of the Triforce trio remain very common, yet none of the usual suspects (Tingle, Impa, Ghirahim, Vaati, etc.) have ever made the cut, probably since they never reached the must-have relevance compared to trio. Tingle was probably the closest, but he only just began resurging after being dormant for so long (although I imagine that has more to do with his presence in MM3D).

This is nearing "gaiz wut about sceptile completing the starter trio" territory, but if we're gonna be stuck with Tri Trio, I think it'd be pretty fun if we had Pig Ganon playable. Perhaps in ALTTP form? I wonder if Dorf's Final Smash would pose a problem for that, though. Maybe next time.

Well, Gen 3 is the most boring generation design-wise, so I don't think Smash is really missing out. :3

look at how wrong you are

250px-325Spoink.png

I want Impa.

Here's how I'd add Impa.

Stance characters are the strongest indicator for a mind barren of creative ideas.

Richie

Soooo.

CLEFNIBUYAA8d6h.jpg

Thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

Like I said to Gonzo, I really don't think this is necessarily indicative of K. Rool not making it, albeit damned if it doesn't take me by surprise, lol. At the very least this acknowledges the fans want the Rool. Whether Sakurai decides to make him playable now, that's something else entirely.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When did Sakurai ever have a stance on non TP designs? With Brawl they were the most recent incarnation and when Smash 4s came out all they had was Skyward Sword, which was missing Ganondorf and they likely didn't think the new Zelda design suited Smash (also she's not really a princess in that).

And wait, King K Rool is back... as a costume?

Let's see how this goes over. Oh ho ho ho~

Crayolan

I think it's pretty clear that K Rool did quite well in the ballot but was never on the table to be added as a playable character to begin with, so they made a costume as a concession.

I look forward to reading your guys' crazy theories about how this proves K Rool is coming though.

Richie

I think it's pretty clear that K Rool did quite well in the ballot but was never on the table to be added as a playable character to begin with, so they made a costume as a concession.

I look forward to reading your guys' crazy theories about how this proves K Rool is coming though.

Count me in with:

Calling it now; King K. Rool is actually in the works, and much like in Roy's trailer, one of the first things he'll do in his trailer will be smacking his Mii parallel off the screen.

I'm not even really emotionally invested on K. Rool to the point where his absence could affect me, and I seriously think something along these lines is planned.

Golnei

The Chrom costume disgusts me deeply. K. Rool actually doesn't look too bad - I wouldn't mind it if they did a NES (artwork, not sprite) Ridley with those proportions.

Neat stage concept, but Doc music is all over the place, along with stuff like Tetris and Panel De Pon.

So uhh... first stage with re-used music?

Edit: WAIT NEVERMIND REMIXES OUT THE ASS
HIylv6e.jpg

A TITLE MUSIC REMIX

THE DREAM IS REAL

THE ORIGINAL FEVER

SOMEONE HOLD ME I AM HYPED BEYOND HELP

No seriously. Doctor Mario is an amazing game with absolutely amazing music and it's absolutely amazing to have SIX Doctor Mario remixes in Smash.

So we got Mewtwo who was cut because of a lack of time, and now the Doctor Mario stage, which was cut for a lack of time.

That leads me to think Dreamland was cut due to a lack of time as well. Fountain of Dreams missing for release will never stop bothering me.

That Dr. Mario stage looks neat (assuming it's real, which it has to be right?). I'm still hoping for a surprise character reveal for the 31st, unlikely as it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom