• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how the proud tradition of no update ever being a surprise is still living strong despite not having a character this update!

Sakurai must absolutely hate the Internet at this point.

Or...or...it could not be a character, but just a model tease that won't be put out into the game itself for a few more months (for K. Rool beating the tar out of the costume please please pretty please).

That K Rool model is really nice though. Like they could have just grabbed his baseball model and made that into a costume, but they actually took the time to carefully recreate his SNES appearance as a costume, rather than what he looks like now.

The darker skin and golden belly are straight from the SNES. He's bright green with a flesh belly these days.

Yeah I know, makes me hope they were taken from the real thing instead of...them seeing all those votes and thinking this would make the fans happy.

Seriously, it's like a big wish of a lot of fans that K. Rool be designed like his Rare design, so it's like they listened to them a little bit but didn't go all the way.

tumblr_mbfv5xgDfo1qm44fco1_400.gif

It seems the 3DS is doing a good job of keeping the hazards relatively in check for DLC stages.

Both Ryu's stage and Doc's stage are very simple and don't appear to contain any ridiculous hazards, although we'll have to see what the viruses do.

TrueBlue

Looking forward to the update!

Going back to the voices, one of my minor disappointments was the fact that most of the voicework from Brawl was just ported over. I don't want to play as depressive Luigi any more - it didn't work then and it definitely doesn't work now.

Bowser's generic monster voice makes even less sense when one considers that Bowser Jr and the Koopalings have their original voices.

Also, what's the deal with consistency? How come Anthony Del Rio got to record new work with Pit but with Roger Craig Smith's Sonic they just ripped lines from Generations? How come Rosalina also has loads of ripped lines?

Bleh. It's all minor of course, but still!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The worst voice is Ike's. I don't really care if "I fight for my friends" became a Smash joke, it should have been redone. It's so monotone and drab.

If Mii Costumes truly are used to bring characters who won't be DLC into Smash, I kind of wonder who else is actually doing well in the poll that has a chance to be in?

If Inkling and K Rool are both out (which they might not be, but it seems likely), then who are we left with that isn't from some small time series like Custom Robo or Isaac?

K Rool was the only character that appeared to have unanimous hype from across the world. No other character was showing such consistent support as K Rool.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Doing well is only half the story.

Perhaps Sakurai has seen a character suggestion that sparked his interest even though it only got a handful of votes.

All we know if we've been given an official channel to send in requests. How they deal with those requests is unknown.

Also since third party characters are being given consideration that's a whole lot of worthwhile characters that can be voted for.

This whole thing surrounding the Mii Costumes just makes me sad it'll be the closest thing I get to a playable Dunban. :/
Shulk's final Smash dampened his chances more.

Vote for Melia instead!

Neoxon

My issue with the whole "Mii Costume Characters Can't Be Playable" argument is that, as stated before, it'd only leave veterans, third parties, super-obscure characters, & characters from failed franchises. Some are already saying that Smash is scraping the bottom of barrel. While they aren't exactly correct right now, this instance would prove them right.Plus there's the Link Mii Costume, the fact that Sakurai is a known troll, & the Meta Knight Mii Mask that was shown before Meta Knight himself. I wouldn't worry too much about King K. Rool or the Inklings, NeoGAF.

TrueBlue

Shulk's final Smash dampened his chances more.

Vote for Melia instead!

I'll always contend that Shulk's Final Smash should have had randomised teammates. Would have been fun to see Reyn get in on the action, and would have made for better representation of Xenoblade as a whole.

I also contend that any of the Xenoblade playable characters could be viable for Smash, though Jenna Coleman does push me towards Melia.

Neoxon

I'll always contend that Shulk's Final Smash should have had randomised teammates. Would have been fun to see Reyn get in on the action, and would have made for better representation of Xenoblade as a whole.

I also contend that any of the Xenoblade playable characters could be viable for Smash, though Jenna Coleman does push me towards Melia.
I feel like any future Xenoblade additions would be from Xenoblade X in Smash 5. Riki would have been my first choice for a 2nd character from the first Xenoblade, but we all know how that turned out.

Ryce

My issue with the whole "Mii Costume Characters Can't Be Playable" argument is that, as stated before, it'd only leave veterans, third parties, super-obscure characters, & characters from failed franchises.
Dixie Kong is neither of those things.

One fan made "rule" appears to be true though.

That they won't re-use music for DLC stages.

Doctor Mario not re-using the three Doctor Mario songs that are already in the game is pretty clear proof they will not re-use music.

What that doesn't cut out though, are stages returning whose themes are already used. Jungle Japes 3DS proves this isn't true, because no music from Jungle Japes is used on Jungle Japes. It's the first retro stage in the series to not have its original music.

Neoxon

That's my issue with the whole "ATs Can't Be Playable" argument as well. So far we have seen absolutely no evidence that this is the case, either.
Except in this case, we have a known contradiction in the form of Link. As of right now, there's no contradiction for ATs not being playable characters in the same game as their AT.

Dixie Kong is neither of those things.
Neither is a potential Rhythm Heaven rep, but I'm not sure if Dixie is as popular as King K. Rool. At least the Rhythm Heaven rep (which I'm pretty sure was the Chorus Kids) was worked on.

One fan made "rule" appears to be true though.

That they won't re-use music for DLC stages.

Doctor Mario not re-using the three Doctor Mario songs that are already in the game is pretty clear proof they will not re-use music.

What that doesn't cut out though, are stages returning whose themes are already used. Jungle Japes 3DS proves this isn't true, because no music from Jungle Japes is used on Jungle Japes. It's the first retro stage in the series to not have its original music.
But at the same time, it does mean that franchises with music in other stages still have a shot to get a stage & a character. This mainly applies to Rhythm Heaven & The Wonderful 101.

Sorry, K. Rool fans, but that this comes right after the trademark discussion is just too funny.

I'm surprised the stages are coming so soon, but YES, we finally get a Dr. Mario stage! It's a shame the other three Dr. Mario arrangements don't get to play on it, but at least we have three new ones to make up for it.

I wonder how much "arrrghhhh hazards make it unplayable" hyperbole we'll see on release...

Spoink is cute, but Grumpig is ugly. :/

You got me there; as a kid, I refused to evolve my nearly-level 70 Spoink for that reason, lol

Except in this case, we have a known contradiction in the form of Link. As of right now, there's no contradiction for ATs not being playable characters in the same game as their AT.

I just don't like talking in absolutes with things we don't know for sure. Yes, most ATs are unlikely playable candidates for various reasons, but I still don't think that categorically denying the possibility for ATs to become playable in the same game is a good idea. The ballot in particular leaves this open quite a bit, since every video game character is fair do.

There never has been an official statement from Sakurai that says that ATs can never ever be DLC characters ever.

Neither is a potential Rhythm Heaven rep, but I'm not sure if Dixie is as popular as King K. Rool. At least the Rhythm Heaven rep (which I'm pretty sure was the Chorus Kids) was worked on.

So was Dixie.
In Brawl, granted, but still, concepts for her exist. That's more than K. Rool can claim.

Ryce

I am further convinced that Dixie will be one of the ballot characters.
I've been saying this since June, but I genuinely feel like Dixie and Wolf are the only remaining DLC characters. I'm going to be right about something eventually, dammit.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly, my guess is that Dixie's popularity far outweighs K Rools.

She's been a hero in three games, appeared more recently than K Rool and being a Nintendo gal probably helps too. Also she's one of the legendary cut Melee Brawl characters.

Honestly, my guess is that Dixie's popularity far outweighs K Rools.

She's been a hero in three games, appeared more recently than K Rool and being a Nintendo gal probably helps too. Also she's one of the legendary cut Melee characters.

Wasn't that Brawl?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if she's set for DLC.

Neoxon

Seeing as the Rhythm Heaven character file was found alongside the Dr. Mario data, my gut is telling me that whoever it is will come out alongside Wolf. Which is funny, considering that this was my original prediction as far as the DLC roll-out is concerned.

I would say a Rhythm Heaven stage as well, but I spoke to Push Dust on Reddit already & he clarified that it was mainly a character file.

I like this new canon where Miis are deranged big game hunters who poach potential new comers and skin them, wearing their flesh as trophies.

Also this is the first DLC for something that was cut in the files! SAKURAI CUTTING CONTENT TO SELL AS DLC CONFIRMED HE'S A FRAUD.
lol

Zubz

Banned
Edit: WAIT NEVERMIND REMIXES OUT THE ASS
HIylv6e.jpg

Wario music? And it's not from WarioWare? Pack it in, boys 'n girls, this is fake.

I wonder how much "arrrghhhh hazards make it unplayable" hyperbole we'll see on release...

You got me there; as a kid, I refused to evolve my nearly-level 70 Spoink for that reason, lol

I mean, like, it's an Omega Stage where literally no part of the surface is safe. Unless that stage has a ridiculously high ceiling, I'll probably start saying that... now. It looks unplayable. And good job on getting a Spoink up that high. I think I had a Corphish that I grinded up to level 60 back then, too.

Also, this K. Rool stuff came out of left field. I'm really hoping it doesn't invalidate his chances, because if it does, that'd be kind of lame. Like, I can see them having expected someone like Isaac to win the ballot, and when they started seeing K. Rool was winning/doing better than Isaac, they cobbled this together as a consolation prize.

I really don't think Dixie's winning the Ballot. I'm not saying she's not getting in, of course. She was considered for Brawl, and assuming that Spainkiller's source was right, she was at least in the Wii U version of Smash 4 in a role that required animation. But I feel like most Donkey Kong fans would've voted K. Rool, and that Nintendo saw this popularity and decided to just give the series a new rep by finishing Dixie instead.

...I hate that I'm half-expecting this costume to be a hold-over because, between the Ballot taking awhile and Dixie possibly having been in the pipeline since before the Ballot, K. Rool as a fighter is being planned, but they're waiting until long after Dixie's release to sell him. Oh well. Bring on the Ridley costume, I guess. And once again, poor Chrom.

Ryce

I really don't think Dixie's winning the Ballot.
That's because there is no "winning" the ballot. I think a lot of people are having a difficult time understanding that. The survey is merely a suggestion box, and Sakurai might pick a character or two from the pool of responses that interest him. K. Rool might be the most commonly written-in character, but that doesn't mean he's going to be DLC. It's not a competition.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's because there is no "winning" the ballot. I think a lot of people are having a difficult time understanding that. The survey is merely a suggestion box, and Sakurai might pick a character or two from the pool of responses that interest him. K. Rool might be the most commonly written-in character, but that doesn't mean he's going to be DLC. It's not a competition.
Exactly. Otherwise people would be reluctant to vote for obscure characters in fear they are wasting a vote.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Isn't Roy's counter identical to Ike's?

Eh? how so?

So we got Mewtwo who was cut because of a lack of time, and now the Doctor Mario stage, which was cut for a lack of time.

That leads me to think Dreamland was cut due to a lack of time as well. Fountain of Dreams missing for release will never stop bothering me.

I always found it strange that we only got Kongo 64 stage as only one 64 stage in stage selection so I guess they ran out of time with certain things. I wonder if they already have a plan to include Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas on final roster before they push them into DLC characters.

Sponge

Banned
What if Sakurai just threw us a curveball and we get Cranky Kong, complete with cane bouncing and all?

It'll never happen though. After today I'm positive we're getting Dixie Kong. I don't mind it though since I would like her, but I dread the comments people will make of her. "Oh boy another hoo haa broken character!" Ugh.

Dammit, Clone Alph would've been dope.
This day just keeps on hurting me more.

Compromise: Give us a Brittany clone with the modifications for free.

It has been what over two years and people still can't stop clinging to the idea that Dixie is a shoo in. You think they would have learned by now but no, it's always Dixie and Chorus guys who can outrank characters that would excite people because "lol a suggestion box where everything is equal."

Riddle me this, if K. Rool can't get better than a costume, what does it say about Dixie that she can't muster even that despite TF? That they're using generic monkey suits instead?

Neoxon

It has been what over two years and people still can't stop clinging to the idea that Dixie is a shoo in. You think they would have learned by now but no, it's always Dixie and Chorus guys who can outrank characters that would excite people because "lol a suggestion box where everything is equal."

Riddle me this, if K. Rool can't get better than a costume, what does it say about Dixie that she can't muster even that despite TF? That they're using generic monkey suits instead?
While this doesn't rule out King K. Rool as playable (see Link's Mii Costume, as stated before), Dixie has had more relevancy. So more likely than not, she could be getting votes from people not on any form of social media. As for the Chorus Kids, supposedly they were being worked on (& there's some evidence in the game's files to back this up), as well as Rhythm Heaven being huge in Japan.

TrueBlue

I feel like any future Xenoblade additions would be from Xenoblade X in Smash 5. Riki would have been my first choice for a 2nd character from the first Xenoblade, but we all know how that turned out.

True. That Elma(?) girl seems to be a pretty safe bet, she seems rather popular from the Japanese impressions.

Dunban would be my choice, but I suppose all the existing swordspeople don't help.

Ryce

If Dixie is being prepped as a DLC character then why would she get a Mii Fighter costume? A generic monkey holding a wooden stick has literally nothing to do with Dixie Kong.

While this doesn't rule out King K. Rool as playable (see Link's Mii Costume, as stated before), Dixie has had more relevancy. So more likely than not, she could be getting votes from people not on any form of social media. As for the Chorus Kids, supposedly they were being worked on (& there's some evidence in the game's files to back this up), as well as Rhythm Heaven being huge in Japan.

Clearly relevancy is no issue if they're selling a K. Rool costume and not a Dixie one. It's like Spainkiller keeps getting dug up from the grave just because people can't accept that the fans prefer the King instead of the Kong.

Neoxon

Clearly relevancy is no issue if they're selling a K. Rool costume and not a Dixie one. It's like Spainkiller keeps getting dug up from the grave just because people can't accept that the fans prefer the King instead of the Kong.
Not once did I mention Spainkiller in that post.

Ryce

Clearly relevancy is no issue if they're selling a K. Rool costume and not a Dixie one.
The argument being presented is that Dixie isn't getting a costume because she's going to be a character. It's not like we got a Mii Swordfighter costume for Roy before he became playable.

Am talking in general about fans not singling people out. Ever since the ballot opened and it became known K. Rool was kicking butt, this dumb narrative about "LOL they'll just add Dixie instead because muh DK reps" or "LOL its a suggestion box" started up and not only that, but gets seen as "sensible" because somehow anything remotely connected to new games and relevance is 'logical' somehow. As opposed to, you know, popularity votes on a ballot where fan service supposedly got promised?

Based on the K. Rool hate that I see every where on GAF this wouldn't be the case if by some miracle the Chorus Kids were winning polls, or Inkling, or anyone but K. Rool. And likewise if Dixie were winning and K. Rool were behind, anyone to say "He might get chosen instead because of uniqueness" would get mocked openly.

Zubz

Banned
I know you're being facetious, but there is some music that isn't from WarioWare, including Wario's victory jingle.

If I recall correctly, Stonecarving City's the only non-Ware song in Sm4sh (It's recycled for Gamer, and they brought back the victory jingle remix from Brawl). Other than that, we just have the 2 WarioWare, Inc. remixes from Brawl, 2 variants of Ashley's theme (Although whether or not you get the English version or the only Wario remix in Sm4sh depends on the region), and the music from Gamer, which is basically just Environmental Noises-tier music until the Mom shows up. Then it's a generic ominous chant.

I'm sorry, I'm just really bitter about how little Wario got in Smash 4. It feels like they barely wanted to put WarioWare in there, but it got a significant amount more than the Wario Land series. We got Stonecarving City, but the shoulder barge was removed (Seriously, why?). With that move gone, the only other trace of Wario Land in the game at all is the "W-Sign" taunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom