• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
I share the same opinion. I really want her in Smash 5 at least. Smash 4 would be a really odd time to put her in the game.

Also, FE:if is giving me Pokemon Black/White vibes. The presentation in it is just stylish as hell.

Yeah, I think they might as well hold her until Smash 5
and have her replace Lucina on the roster :X

And I see what you mean about BW. The designs are all intricate without feeling overdone. In particular, the characters are unique enough to have personality, but none of them strike me as too over-the-top.

What does Aqua look like?

Like a fabulous, flowing dance queen.
fire_emblem_if__hoshido_nohr_aqua_by_xkazukochanx-d8u8m90.png

Yeah, I think they might as well hold her until Smash 5
and have her replace Lucina on the roster :X
.]

Unless another FE comes out in the meantime. We also jumped over Gen 3 Pokemon.
Either way, I'd love to see her, she's not a swordswoman but a spear fighter with water magic. Very unique.
Lucina should go back to being an alt of Marth, honestly. Same with Dark Pit.

Also what the fuck is going on with that old man in the cutscene. Is he getting a massive painful boner?

I'm still hoping for Tingle, personally

I'd love Tingle, myself, but after Hyrule Warriors, it's very likely Impa is gonna pull ahead in popularity. She's also a character with a lot more legacy than Tingle - though Tingle does have his own games to show.
Honestly, I feel like both would make great additions to Smash.

Also what the fuck is going on with that old man in the cutscene. Is he getting a massive painful boner?
Was going to ask this. Is there a soundtrack release? Because it's pretty crap if you have to listen to some guy loudly dying in the background of this song they went to the effort to make.

Unless another Fire Emblem comes out that revolutionizes the series or makes a major impact, I doubt we see another Fire Emblem character next game. Awakening could not be ignored for Smash, it was too big of a deal.

They'll probably let the series rest in Smash for a game, like they did for Mario and Zelda in Brawl after they got a billion new characters in Melee. Zelda still holds the record for most new comers in a single game, with 4 added in Melee, although all four of those characters deserved to get in, so whatever. Except then Zelda never got another proper new character, which is dumb. :/

Focusing on making Lucina more unique and further decloning Roy is probably the extent of Fire Emblem's new characters in Smash 5.

Neoxon

Unless another Fire Emblem comes out that revolutionizes the series or makes a major impact, I doubt we see another Fire Emblem character next game. Awakening could not be ignored for Smash, it was too big of a deal.

They'll probably let the series rest in Smash for a game, like they did for Mario and Zelda in Brawl after they got a billion new characters in Melee. Zelda still holds the record for most new comers in a single game, with 4 added in Melee, although all four of those characters deserved to get in, so whatever. Except then Zelda never got another proper new character, which is dumb. :/

Focusing on making Lucina more unique and further decloning Roy is probably the extent of Fire Emblem's new characters in Smash 5.
Who would they add? There's Impa, sure, but Sakurai kinda tied his hands by keeping every single Zelda character (besides Toon Link) with the Twilight Princess art style.

Pig Ganon and Impa.

They don't have to stick to Twilight Princess style, they already broke it with Toon Link after he looked silly in Brawl where they tried to TP style him.

Pig Ganon represents an entirely different Zelda. We don't have a classic Zelda rep in Smash, and Ganon is the only one who can do that effectively. "Classic" Zelda has the most Zelda songs (every Zelda stage on the Wii U has a version of Dark World!) in the game and an entire stage, and yet has no rep or trophies or anything.

There's no real style "rules" to Smash. They make a bunch of different styled games come together and work. And it's not even a rule because one character doesn't follow it. The characters that use their TP styles do so because they were all in TP, so it's consistent. For a character not in TP (or designed for TP, like Sheik), they don't bother with making them TP styled. Except in Brawl where they sort of tried to make TL look like TP style, but that was kind of a big failure imo and they fixed it next game.

If Ganondorf wasn't in TP they wouldn't have not included him in Brawl. They would have just redesigned him to work with the other characters.

jph139

I think Fire Emblem will probably continue to get new characters - its one of the few Nintendo franchises that consistently introduces new major protagonists on the regular, which is invaluable for Smash.

But Fates is probably going to get the 3rd/5th Gen Pokemon treatment. Too late for Smash 4 but too old by the time we hit Smash 5. Which is too bad; Aqua and Kamui would both be cool characters with fresh playstyles.

Neoxon

I think Fire Emblem will probably continue to get new characters - its one of the few Nintendo franchises that consistently introduces new major protagonists on the regular, which is invaluable for Smash.

But Fates is probably going to get the 3rd/5th Gen Pokemon treatment. Too late for Smash 4 but too old by the time we hit Smash 5. Which is too bad; Azura and Corrin would both be cool characters with fresh playstyles.
It's a shame for both Corrin & Azura. They could have been great DLC, but we already have more than enough FE characters.

Neoxon

Will have to do what Pokémon did and make its own fighting game spinoff.
I could totally see Arc System Works doing a Fire Emblem fighting game along the lines of the Persona 4 Arena games in the sense that it can adopt some concepts from the Fire Emblem games.

Slime deserves to be in Smash, so that would be nice.

Bonus points for Mario RPG music on Slime's stage. Fortune Street has some nice remixes they can borrow.

Also a Geno Mii costume for Gunner :D

Neoxon

Slime deserves to be in Smash, so that would be nice.

Bonus points for Mario RPG music on Slime's stage. Fortune Street has some nice remixes they can borrow.

Also a Geno Mii costume for Gunner :D
If they bring on Geno, it'd be as a playable character. While granted, a Geno Mii costume wouldn't rule out Geno as playable, it'd still be seen as a "fuck you" to Geno fans.

Ryce

Fire Emblem isn't like Mario or Zelda -- there's a completely new main character each game. Keep in mind that Smash 4's roster was finalized only a few days after Awakening's Japanese release. The game didn't "revolutionize the series" or "make a major impact" yet. Sakurai just seemingly wanted to include a character from the latest Fire Emblem. It's the same mindset he had going into Brawl. He wrote "someone from Fire Emblem Wii" in the project plan, which he later changed after finding out Ike would appear in Radiant Dawn. There's no doubt in my mind that a new Fire Emblem character will appear in the next Smash Bros. "New Fire Emblem character" and "new Pokémon" are probably the easiest bets anyone can make.

This would probably be the best way to bring Geno into Smash.

I kind of want to see if there are any bitter tears from the old Brawl Geno fanatics.

Do people hold roster grudges for that long? I guess we could find out with a Geno Mii costume

If they bring on Geno, it'd be as a playable character. While granted, a Geno Mii costume wouldn't rule out Geno as playable, it'd still be seen as a "fuck you" to Geno fans.

Geno doesn't really deserve to be in Smash, especially as a third party, but a costume would be a nice way of allowing him to be in Smash at all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Geno fan should be thankful for anything they get. He's honestly not that big a character and in a series that is already chock-a-block with reps. Goomba will be playable long before Geno.

If they are going to whine about it Nintendo would be better off giving them nothing. Who in their right mind would rather have nothing over the chance to have their favourite character semi playable?

Ryce

Forget Shantae and Shovel Knight -- Geno will always be my favorite mob mentality fad character. It's absolutely astonishing how so many people legitimately thought he would be playable in Brawl. As we all know, nothing says third-party icon like the fourth billed character from an old RPG.

Golnei

For the next game's Mii costumes which represent obscure and unpopular characters, there absolutely has to be a Wonderful 101 set. Unlikely, considering the game's current level of representation is more than it deserves already; but they'd fit the Mii proportions and movesets really well; assuming the set would have Wonder-Red, Blue and Green variants for the Brawler, Swordfighter and Gunner types.

Speaking of which, I hope the next game is much more lenient as to the inclusion of third-party remixes - the Mario & Sonic Olympic arrangements would have been perfect inclusions, assuming no rights issues would have been involved. The remixes of various pieces of retro Sega music done for Bayonetta 1 would have been similarly great, but avoiding them due to the extra licensing work required was understandable.

I could totally see Arc System Works doing a Fire Emblem fighting game along the lines of the Persona 4 Arena games in the sense that it can adopt some concepts from the Fire Emblem games.

Supports could tie in fairly easily to an assist system, but how would a child system work in a fighting game - just functioning as a means to gate off unlockable characters, with the only effect of the chosen pairing being hair colour?

Azure J

Totally down for Fire Emblem The Ultimate in Ferox Arena.

I keep hearing that "Sakurai said he's a fan of The Wonderful 101"
Where did he say this?

Yeah gonna need this quote for some basic reassurance. Then again Sakurai is a rad guy who is a big fan of a lot of Nintendo titles.

So I've been playing FE if, and I officially want Aqua in Smash. Just watch her in action!

It's funny, on her first reveal with next to nothing going on for her besides "cool CG intro", I thought she'd be cool because she fulfills that idea buzzing in my head that Fire Emblem characters should be more than lords with swords and could play up the notion of an old school RPG party for better character as a group versus the other Nintendo stalwarts (ex. Hero = Marth, Mage = Robin, Berserker/Knight = Ike, Merchant/Thief = Anna, Archer = Lyn, etc). A dancer would be cool as hell. What's more, the spear looks like it'd give way to some fun pokes and good reach if done well.

Neoxon

For the next game's Mii costumes which represent obscure and unpopular characters, there absolutely has to be a Wonderful 101 set. Unlikely, considering the game's current level of representation is more than it deserves already; but they'd fit the Mii proportions and movesets really well; assuming the set would have Wonder-Red, Blue and Green variants for the Brawler, Swordfighter and Gunner types.
Why the W101 hate?

Supports could tie in fairly easily to an assist system, but how would a child system work in a fighting game - just functioning as a means to gate off unlockable characters, with the only effect of the chosen pairing being hair colour?
That might actually work, but the FGC hates unlockable characters.

NeonZ

For the next game's Mii costumes which represent obscure and unpopular characters, there absolutely has to be a Wonderful 101 set.

Why even wait for the next game? If they don't make some W101 costumes now, I doubt we'll ever get any.

Javier

I think a good way of representing Fire Emblem in future games would be to take any Lord and give him/her the Koopaling treatment and make every alt a different character. FE is probably the only series that could pull this off given the numerous archetypes it has kept through the years, and it could give proper representation to certain FE universes that probably woud never get it otherwise (looking at you, Jugdral).

For example. Micaiah could be the playable character, but the alts would be Celica, Linde, Julia, Lilina, Lute, Tharja and Nyx.

Or Lyn is playable, and the alts are Ayra, Mareeta, Fir, Marisa, Mia, Athena and Say'ri.

Well, you guys get the idea. It would require extra manpower to make the different models, but it would give us several characters while using only one slot in the roster.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Naw, I would take it. It's logical that Geno wouldn't make in Smash franchise for many reasons. I would be genuinely shocked if they would ever show anything .

Why the W101 hate?

Why so defensive? It's okay for people to shitting on other things but not Wonderful 101? :V. I don't really blame people for not liking Wonderful 101.

Here is my second thoughts on the game. Right now, I just got Wonder Yellow. So far, I really enjoy the cutscenes and the story plot. I really like the characters and their personalities so they were great. Controller setup and Gameplay just fall flat. The gameplay is just terrible clumsy for several reasons. I tried to make the shapes to transformer into different weapons (characters), are not always accurate with what I'm asking for. For example, when I made perfect L in order trying to get Wonder Green and his gun, but it occasionally wouldn't recognized it, and turn it into something else.

Wonderful101GAF really overhyped this game so much. Hopefully it would change my mind later in the game when I'm getting close to finish the game.

It wouldn't stop me from supporting those characters to be in Smash 5. I'm still on my stance that Wonder Red wouldn't be playable character due to 3DS limitation (and 8 players matches).

I never played again after spending 20 minutes trying to fiddle around with the obnoxious controls in the tutorial. I got stuck trying to make a bridge in the tutorial. I would have been even more disappointed if I actually paid for it. Luckily I got it from Club Nintendo, so whatever.

7 trophies and 2 songs is an awful lot for a game of its size. Other similar sized series were lucky to get some kind of song rip or even one trophy.

Ryce

I think a good way of representing Fire Emblem in future games would be to take any Lord and give him/her the Koopaling treatment and make every alt a different character. FE is probably the only series that could pull this off given the numerous archetypes it has kept through the years, and it could give proper representation to certain FE universes that probably woud never get it otherwise (looking at you, Jugdral).

For example. Micaiah could be the playable character, but the alts would be Celica, Linde, Julia, Lilina, Lute, Tharja and Nyx.

Or Lyn is playable, and the alts are Ayra, Mareeta, Fir, Marisa, Mia, Athena and Say'ri.

Well, you guys get the idea. It would require extra manpower to make the different models, but it would give us several characters while using only one slot in the roster.
The thing about the Koopalings is that they've earned their place in Smash Bros. (they're well-known, recurring bosses in some really incredible Mario games), but since there's seven of them there's no way they'd ever be included as individual characters. Making them alts for Bowser Jr. allows them to be playable without overcrowding the roster and taking up too many resources. I feel like alternate characters should be big enough deals to be regarded as equals to the regular characters, which definitely applies to Alph and the Koopalings. Those Fire Emblem characters you listed are way too obscure to ever be considered as playable characters, and I don't think randomly stuffing them into a single slot for no rhyme or reason solves anything.

Javier

The thing about the Koopalings is that they've earned their place in Smash Bros. (they're well-known, recurring bosses in some really incredible Mario games), but since there's seven of them there's no way they'd ever be included as individual characters. Making them alts for Bowser Jr. allows them to be playable without overcrowding the roster and taking up too many resources. I feel like alternate characters should be big enough deals to be regarded as equals to the regular characters, which definitely applies to Alph and the Koopalings. Those Fire Emblem characters you listed are way too obscure to ever be considered as playable characters, and I don't think randomly stuffing them into a single slot for no rhyme or reason solves anything.
It doesn't solve anything because there's nothing to solve. It's just another way the series could be represented.

It doesn't solve anything because there's nothing to solve. It's just another way the series could be represented.

It's just adding characters for the sake of adding characters. Both Alph and the Koopalings could have qualified on their own to be their own characters.

[Random spear user] wouldn't qualify.

Javier

It's just adding characters for the sake of adding characters. Both Alph and the Koopalings could have qualified on their own to be their own characters.

[Random spear user] wouldn't qualify.
I think there are different qualifications for adding characters as alts than adding them as actual characters. Some that aren't qualified as being playable could be in as alts. They're essentially bonus characters. They don't affect the roster in any negative way.

Alph being worthy of his own slot is debatable.

There is no way the Koopalings would have been playable as their own characters.

I think there are different qualifications for adding characters as alts than adding them as actual characters. Some that aren't qualified as being playable could be in as alts. They're essentially bonus characters. They don't affect the roster in any negative way.

Alph being worthy of his own slot is debatable.

There is no way the Koopalings would have been playable as their own characters.

Alph is the main character of the third game in the Pikmin series. Of course he'd qualify. It's hard to even believe he isn't his own slot (and it seems other things caused that to happen). He's similar to Lucas.

The Koopalings couldn't be playable, not because they didn't deserve to be on their own, but because there's 7 of them. Absolutely should the Koopalings be Smash fighters and would qualify. Sakurai's probably been waiting for a chance to add them.

Only FE main characters will be playable in Smash. They're the most popular and most fitting for Smash. Even Lucina is getting a little out of the normal circle of FE reps, but she's still more important than a random character you recruit.

For Smash 4 they weren't even going to pick a character that wasn't a Lord until Sakurai decided Robin was more interesting than Chrom and bumped Lucina up from alt to clone. They're the first non-Lord FE characters, ever. Lucina is the first non-playable FE character.

Of all of the games represented in Smash (not just series, games), secondary characters don't represent them solely. No secondary character in Smash is the sole character from their game.

It's why when people say "such and such secondary character should rep the series, not the main character" there's no chance that will ever happen.

Ryce

They’re important enough to be their own characters, but seven separate Koopalings is overkill and just isn’t going to happen. You can’t have one without the others, which is why it makes sense that they’re alts. The Koopalings always appear as a group. There’s nothing tying those Fire Emblem characters together, and they’re not even recognizable enough to warrant the effort.

Javier

Only FE main characters will be playable in Smash. They're the most popular and most fitting for Smash. Even Lucina is getting a little out of the normal circle of FE reps, but she's still more important than a random character you recruit.
I agree that only FE Main characters will be playable in Smash, which is why I suggest that the default character is a main character, while the secondaries are all alts.

For Smash 4 they weren't even going to pick a character that wasn't a Lord until Sakurai decided Robin was more interesting than Chrom and bumped Lucina up from alt to clone. They're the first non-Lord FE characters, ever.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Robin one of the newcomers Sakurai decided on from the very beginning? I recall him being mentioned in the recently-revelaed-to-the-public presentation for "Smash Wii U/3DS Proposal" along with Rosalina and Duck Hunt, which Sakurai did all the way back in 2012.

Of all of the games represented in Smash (not just series, games), secondary characters don't represent them solely. No secondary character in Smash is the sole character from their game.

It's why when people say "such and such secondary character should rep the series, not the main character" there's no chance that will ever happen.
Who's saying anything about a secondary character solely representing the series he/she is from? My suggestion doesn't mean that at all.

Neoxon

I agree that only FE Main characters will be playable in Smash, which is why I suggest that the default character is a main character, while the secondaries are all alts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Robin one of the newcomers Sakurai decided on from the very beginning? I recall him being mentioned in the recently-revelaed-to-the-public presentation for "Smash Wii U/3DS Proposal" along with Rosalina and Duck Hunt, which Sakurai did all the way back in 2012.

Who's saying anything about a secondary character solely representing the series he/she is from? My suggestion doesn't mean that at all.
Push Dustin actually discovered that Chrom was in the books to be playable for longer than Sakurai originally let on. The switch to Robin was, as originally stated by Sakurai, because he realized that Robin would be a more interesting character to include than Chrom.
Push Dustin said:
Recently, we have uncovered additional data about Chrom. The text written by Sakurai, heavily suggests that Chrom was a planned fighter. Sakurai has stated that he had a moveset for the blue-hair swordsman, but in the end chose Robin. He doesn’t outright say it, so I’m putting Chrom as “Speculated” “Planned”.

Ryce

Since Roy has a few new moves inspired by Ike and Chrom is similar to Ike in his own game and Sakurai had made a moveset for Chrom...

...nah
Besides Roy's new down air, what else is "inspired" by Ike? His other new animations use a reverse grip to emphasize his sword's strength near the base, and I don't see any of that as having been carried over from Chrom.

Do you know how happy having Ben Campbell as the voice of K Rool would make me?

It would make me very happy.

If Marth and Pokemon can use cartoon voices, why can't the big croc?

RomanceDawn

Do you know how happy having Ben Campbell as the voice of K Rool would make me?

It would make me very happy.

If Marth and Pokemon can use cartoon voices, why can't the big croc?

It will never happen in million billion jillion years! If Dk and Bowser have to settle with monster voices then so will K Rool and it tares me up inside.

I love how Sakurai thinks DK's voice doesn't fit him for Smash but then goes on and approves a Donkey Kong song with DK actually singing with his canon voice! I mean come on! It's not like the song being done this way has ever existed either, this is like the first time we've ever heard DK sing. Well there was that little bit at the end of Jungle Beat but nothing on the scale of the wonderful new song found in Smash 4.

Is no one else really urked by this?

It will never happen in million billion jillion years! If Dk and Bowser have to settle with monster voices then so will K Rool and it tares me up inside.

I love how Sakurai thinks DK's voice doesn't fit him for Smash but then goes on and approves a Donkey Kong song with DK actually singing with his canon voice! I mean come on! It's not like the song being done this way has ever existed either, this is like the first time we've ever heard DK sing. Well there was that little bit at the end of Jungle Beat but nothing on the scale of the wonderful new song found in Smash 4.

Is no one else really urked by this?

A lot of character's voices bother me.

Mario's is awful. And it's used for two characters. It sounds like Charles had a sore throat when he was doing Mario's voice. Or it was supposed to sound serious or something because Brawl was serious business. But they should have just used sounds from Mario Galaxy.

It's Mario. And they managed to mess it up in Brawl. And then didn't fix it. And then used it for another character.

DK, Diddy and Bowser aren't even the surface of the voice issues.

Tyeforce

By the way, speaking of Tourney Mode, has there been any sign of offline tournaments? I know online has clearly been confirmed, but I can't recall any mention of offline tournaments, and I'm worried that it will be limited to online-only like Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf: World Tour's online tournament modes... Really hope that's not the case. =/
Anyone have anything to add to this? I just watched the Roy/Ryu DLC reveal video again, and sure enough there are no signs of offline Tourney Mode... Has anything been said either way about an offline Tourney Mode that I may have missed? I'm getting really worried that it's not going to happen... =/

RomanceDawn

Anyone have anything to add to this? I just watched the Roy/Ryu DLC reveal video again, and sure enough there are no signs of offline Tourney Mode... Has anything been said either way about an offline Tourney Mode that I may have missed? I'm getting really worried that it's not going to happen... =/

I don't think anyone can really say. Let's just hope that like Melee, there will be a tourney mode off line. I feel like there will be an offline version.

Tyeforce

I don't think anyone can really say. Let's just hope that like Melee, there will be a tourney mode off line. I feel like there will be an offline version.
Okay... I figured as much, but I was hoping there was some hint or sign of offline Tourney Mode that I may have missed... Guess not. =/ It's odd that there aren't more people speaking up about it, though...

A lot of character's voices bother me.

Mario's is awful. And it's used for two characters. It sounds like Charles had a sore throat when he was doing Mario's voice. Or it was supposed to sound serious or something because Brawl was serious business. But they should have just used sounds from Mario Galaxy.

It's Mario. And they managed to mess it up in Brawl. And then didn't fix it. And then used it for another character.

DK, Diddy and Bowser aren't even the surface of the voice issues.

I couldn't agree more. Mario and Luigi sound unspeakably awful in this game. It's as if Charles was falling asleep during the recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom