• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I was searching K Rool for whatever reason and came across this
tumblr_nr7r3iAnab1upxbs2o1_500.jpg

...uhh ok

I don't even remember K Rool speaking in Baseball
Is it hard to bear, DK? My overwhelming power? It's weight, it's......girth?

Sad thing is, they are more likely to fix this issue by removing Miis from tournament mode rather than allowing them online in the other modes.

Nah, they specifically showed the three Miis in the video, which seems to have been done to answer the question "are Miis allowed in tournaments"

With Special Smash being online ready with this tournament mode as well, I'm a little curious if the Mii online debacle will finally come to an end and they'll allow them in FG.

I mean. It's just silly at this point. Allowed in Tournaments. You can share whatever Mii you want online. There's an entire stage of dank memes. Miiverse literally says "you suck, go die" at least once a match. But Miis in FG are "bullying." The reasons behind Miis being banned just get stupider and stupider with every new feature added to flies in the face of those reasons.

Tyeforce

So for more "lol why are Miis banned with everyone??" logic

They're allowed in online Tourney Mode

To be fair, Tourney Mode isn't for random strangers like For Fun/For Glory. You'll have to share a code with others for them to join your tournament, and even then customizations are allowed unlike in For Fun/For Glory. Of course, that doesn't legitimize the whole "bullying" excuse, but I have a feeling that the real reason that Mii Fighters aren't allowed online is due to their custimizable nature, unfortunately, with the whole bullying thing being just an excuse from Nintendo. I don't think custom moves are the problem, since they could always be defaulted to 1111 like they are in Event Mode with customizations disabled, but their height and weight...

I still think it's entirely stupid, though, and Mii Fighters should be added both to For Fun/For Glory and to the Random character selection.

If it was because the height thing not only is there a solution to that problem that doesn't involve banning them, but also they wouldn't have needed to make up an entirely different excuse.

Tyeforce

If it was because the height thing not only is there a solution to that problem that doesn't involve banning them, but also they wouldn't have needed to make up an entirely different excuse.
True...

Also, on an unrelated note, something's been bugging me since the last batch of DLC released... Does anyone know why Roy's color is green?
character-dlc-fighter03.png

I understand the color choices for every other character except Roy's. But this might be because I've never played Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. To anyone who has played it and/or knows more about Roy as a character, is there a reason why he's represented with the color green in Smash Bros., or is it just seemingly random? lol

Ryce

I understand the color choices for every other character except Roy's. But this might be because I've never played Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade. To anyone who has played it and/or knows more about Roy as a character, is there a reason why he's represented with the color green in Smash Bros., or is it just seemingly random? lol
All I can think of is that the Sword of Seals is accented with red, blue, and green -- Roy's hair is red and his costume is mostly blue, leaving green "unrepresented."

I was rewatching Ryu's trailer and noticed he says "You need to beat my Shuryouken to stand a chance"

This would have been a cool victory line. They should have added it to his SFIV style victory animation. The game supports more than one line for an animation anyway.

Hoping that K. Rool trademark leads to somewhere, even if it's not Smash-related.

Also, while I've always disagreed with the mass opinion regarding Brawl/Smash 4 stages, the exaggerated criticism a few pages back got pretty ridiculous. No, Sakurai didn't make Omega stages to "troll people," lol.

Everyone loves Dreamland. That's what made it such a great first retro stage to bring back as DLC.

I'm a huge Kirby fan and I think Dream Land is easily the weakest stage representing the series, especially now that its size has been reduced. Most stages that only host vague, uninspired references to the source material have never done it for me and it has the most boring stage hazard ever, but I guess the latter's why people love it so much, so w/e

At least it has now extra music to make up for it.

Tyeforce

By the way, speaking of Tourney Mode, has there been any sign of offline tournaments? I know online has clearly been confirmed, but I can't recall any mention of offline tournaments, and I'm worried that it will be limited to online-only like Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf: World Tour's online tournament modes... Really hope that's not the case. =/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I decided to put the roster together with colored backgrounds, and I thought it look pretty gorgeous. I can't wait for complete roster with all downloadable characters. :)

Wlx5VM6.png
Y5xfGlV.png
FobXiAJ.png
G7WWVrf.png
Jcjwtd2.png
L6hnajF.png
ZWbXFjC.png
8HFadnN.png

SwFZd5V.png
Lyzn85f.png
oQozGUP.png
8OdVUKG.png
9Q2fAdq.png
YVyopkE.png
wajZEJv.png
iFnrLYB.png

qJwbIj6.png
UO5Do28.png
O13ObvY.png
Sh0Gewt.png
lU3BuSV.png
AXXRiJX.png
6OCNRNT.png
9lPhbG6.png

4mKFyl2.png
if9RC0V.png
zw5vLIC.png
k64tVq2.png
tdfFeM4.png
S4nBfi2.png
0BsogIN.png
YhezvXd.png

qiPMJba.png
VzLaY42.png
I03962U.png
lyPqHgM.png
JFFgyuw.png
sjLqTyK.png
XkMaeCf.png
3odfyBS.png

PQnEgW4.png
BmQ0psX.png
TJ3Ujt7.png
u0Ta1Z9.png
pt8iHWI.png
agVlHLL.png
iHiDj3R.png
iRRDKWv.png

8WH6Z57.png
mIfJzYS.png
cOI1Vyh.png
cOI1Vyh.png
jE5XBRq.png
ehDYXhp.png
YAE91WQ.png

Neoxon

I decided to put the roster together with colored backgrounds, and I thought it look pretty gorgeous. I can't wait for complete roster with all downloadable characters. :)

Wlx5VM6.png
Y5xfGlV.png
FobXiAJ.png
G7WWVrf.png
Jcjwtd2.png
L6hnajF.png
ZWbXFjC.png
8HFadnN.png

SwFZd5V.png
Lyzn85f.png
oQozGUP.png
8OdVUKG.png
9Q2fAdq.png
YVyopkE.png
wajZEJv.png
iFnrLYB.png

qJwbIj6.png
UO5Do28.png
O13ObvY.png
Sh0Gewt.png
lU3BuSV.png
AXXRiJX.png
6OCNRNT.png
9lPhbG6.png

4mKFyl2.png
if9RC0V.png
zw5vLIC.png
k64tVq2.png
tdfFeM4.png
S4nBfi2.png
0BsogIN.png
YhezvXd.png

qiPMJba.png
VzLaY42.png
I03962U.png
lyPqHgM.png
JFFgyuw.png
sjLqTyK.png
XkMaeCf.png
3odfyBS.png

PQnEgW4.png
BmQ0psX.png
TJ3Ujt7.png
u0Ta1Z9.png
pt8iHWI.png
agVlHLL.png
iHiDj3R.png
iRRDKWv.png

8WH6Z57.png
mIfJzYS.png
cOI1Vyh.png
cOI1Vyh.png
jE5XBRq.png
ehDYXhp.png
YAE91WQ.png
Mind if you change R.O.B. to his default US color (the gray one)? Japan's the only region that has the red R.O.B. as the default.

Zubz

Banned
It's gotta be coming soon man, they just gave us the Splatoon August Update news, Smash news has to be soon to come.

Yeah. I'm assuming we're not getting a Direct this August, but I can totally see Sakurai announcing a brief event ala the "Captain Falcon & his Fire Emblem Friends" trailer. Of course, the odds of another crazy reveal like Rayman getting a trophy a few hours prior are far less likely.

My money's on it just being a Wolf trailer, with fights taking place on the 2 new 64 stages to let you know that they're coming out, too (As well as any other new stages). After the trailer, there'll be a brief screen saying "AVAILABLE NOW." If an October character like Isaac or K. Rool is far enough along, we might get a tease for them, too.

Neoxon

Wolf is a pretty safe guess. It hasn't been long enough since the ballet started for K Rool to be finished imo.
This is assuming that Nintendo isn't waiting for the ballot to end before starting on the character. Though if King K. Rool is as far ahead of the competition as we think he is, Nintendo may not want to bother waiting.

As for Wolf, I also have a gut feeling that he's coming in August.

Ryce

It's still surreal to me that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are playable and that more DLC characters are on the way. I'm still in a late 2014 "Mewtwo was just announced" mindset.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wasn't it indicated that the ballot isn't a popularity contest but more of an ideas pool.

I mean, they likely won't go for a character with six votes over one with thousands, but just being ahead isn't a guarantee of anything.

This is assuming that Nintendo isn't waiting for the ballot to end before starting on the character.

No it's not. It's assuming the opposite. That they started working as soon as they saw the clear poll winners a day after it started. There really hasn't been enough time since the poll started. Which is what I said.

It's still surreal to me that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are playable and that more DLC characters are on the way. I'm still in a late 2014 "Mewtwo was just announced" mindset.

For some reason in my mind Ryu and Roy are still new fancy characters, but Lucas and Mewtwo feel like they've always been in the game.

I imagine it's because Roy is so visually different and plays so different from Melee, and Ryu is a new comer. Mewtwo and Lucas play and look very similar to their previous appearance.

Neoxon

No it's not. It's assuming the opposite. That they started working as soon as they saw the clear poll winners a day after it started. There really hasn't been enough time since the poll started. Which is what I said.
Well I hardcore misread the post, my apologizes. Well in that case, I'd agree. Though none of us know the official results, so we aren't sure if there's a clear winner or not.

Wasn't it indicated that the ballot isn't a popularity contest but more of an ideas pool.

I mean, they likely won't go for a character with six votes over one with thousands, but just being ahead isn't a guarantee of anything.
This is what I was thinking as well. Though I do believe that popularity will play a role in who gets in, it's probably gonna be in a "We'll take a look at the Top 20 & see who we can come up with something worthwhile for" kind of thing.

If I had to guess, the majority of the top 5 are probably vets, specifically, Ice Climbers, Wolf and Snake. Roy is probably is up there as well, but that obviously doesn't matter anymore. Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers are incredibly popular. It's a wonder what being cut does to you. Wolf was one of the least popular Brawl new comers and yet now he's one of the most requested DLC. I guess Roy was the same. Not really popular back in the day, but after being cut suddenly became incredibly popular.

I would assume the others are K Rool, Inkling, Banjo and some randoms the younger players like, like Steve or Freddy or someone who is popular but has no chance of getting in because they don't even have a passing relation to Nintendo.

javadoze

Yeah. I'm assuming we're not getting a Direct this August, but I can totally see Sakurai announcing a brief event ala the "Captain Falcon & his Fire Emblem Friends" trailer. Of course, the odds of another crazy reveal like Rayman getting a trophy a few hours prior are far less likely.

My money's on it just being a Wolf trailer, with fights taking place on the 2 new 64 stages to let you know that they're coming out, too (As well as any other new stages). After the trailer, there'll be a brief screen saying "AVAILABLE NOW." If an October character like Isaac or K. Rool is far enough along, we might get a tease for them, too.

I'll settle for a video narrated by Xander Mobus going over the august updates for Smash Bros and Splatoon.

Zubz

Banned
I'll settle for a video narrated by Xander Mobus going over the august updates for Smash Bros and Splatoon.

That'd be pretty cool! I mean, they were fine with using "The Announcer" as a narrator for that "50 Facts" video, as well as with letting him use it for a "Did You Know Gaming" video. I don't know if they want to risk running it into the ground, but with a Smash update coming and a Direct seeming unlikely, it'd be a nice way to lay out everything in the update instead of making players figure everything out on their own like they do with buffs, nerfs, and other gameplay changes that could easily be explained with patch notes, but aren't.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I keep hearing that "Sakurai said he's a fan of The Wonderful 101"
Where did he say this?

Masked Man

I said wow
Modified the post with her localized name. That being said, 5 Fire Emblem characters is more than enough for now.

Haven't been keeping up with the localization, but thanks for the heads-up. :) And I agree that Sm4sh is already oversaturated with FE characters, so I don't think she needs to show up as DLC, but I'd be overjoyed to see her in Smash 5 when it eventually happens!

Neiteio

It's weird, despite being able to vote for anyone, I pretty much just want K. Rool now.

It's like I can feel the collective yearnings of all the fans, coalescing in one shining dream.

A dream for a greener... scalier... future.

It's weird, despite being able to vote for anyone, I pretty much just want K. Rool now.

It's like I can feel the collective yearnings of all the fans, coalescing in one shining dream.

A dream for a greener... scalier... future.

I'm still hoping for Tingle, personally

Neiteio

I share the same opinion. I really want her in Smash 5 at least. Smash 4 would be a really odd time to put her in the game.

Also, FE:if is giving me Pokemon Black/White vibes. The presentation in it is just stylish as hell.
What does Aqua look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom