• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would really like is an in-game custom parts shop. I have a lot of coins and nothing to spend it on. Also no more duplicate Hats/Custom Moves/etc.

Well they have got to show SOMETHING off in October to keep up hype for the ballot instead of being just like "Haha thanks for voting now let us keep you in the dark for even longer." Maybe if we're lucky, we'll see someone in August too in a new Nintendo Direct.

Neoxon

Well they have got to show SOMETHING off in October to keep up hype for the ballot instead of being just like "Haha thanks for voting now let us keep you in the dark for even longer." Maybe if we're lucky, we'll see someone in August too in a new Nintendo Direct.
But the thing is that the ballot ends in October. Sakurai & Co. still has to go through the results, think of who would be the most unique of the Top 10 or so, then work on the character. Unless there's a character that's far & way the most-voted character that happen to align with what the Smash dev team wants out of a character, I doubt we'll hear about the ballot results for a while.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Cross Post from other thread (mine of course)

I noticed that we got Character Bundle #1 which contained all 4 characters.. I wonder how many characters we would get for Character Bundle #2. Hopefully it would meant 4 but I would settle down with just 2.

I say bring back the Trophy Tussle stages from Melee (Most people forget these even exist)

They really need to bring Target Test from Melee, I would love that so much. It was one of best mode for me at least. I'm aware that it would required a lot of works so I already gave up on that.

So are we not expecting any DLC characters until October?

Who know. It's pretty tough to predict that.

What I would really like is an in-game custom parts shop. I have a lot of coins and nothing to spend it on. Also no more duplicate Hats/Custom Moves/etc.

That's brilliant. They should have done that to make it easier for many people.

Well we already broke the 2 month "pattern," so who knows when the hell a new character is coming out.

We haven't yet. We just got DLC characters last month. You are likely to be right in few weeks.

Neoxon

If the bundle is anything to go by, we could be looking at 4 more characters.

A 59 character roster is crazy. That's a massive game.
Not sure if it necessarily means 4 more characters, but we should expect at least 2 more.

If we do get 4 more characters, though, Smash 4 would rival Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the biggest fighting game roster ever.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not sure if it necessarily means 4 more characters, but we should expect at least 2 more.

If we do get 4 more characters, though, Smash 4 would rival Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the biggest fighting game roster ever.
I believe Mortal Kombat: Armageddon has over 60 characters.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 had about 160 characters. My friend had the game so he usually bring it over sometime. It was brainless fun for most of times but we don't really play it much because there are few overpowered characters in the game that would steamroll everyone easily. :p

Hey Smash Gaf not sure where to ask this but with so many copies of the gamecube controller port am I to assume a lot of them work just as well as the official licensed one? Also anyone ever used this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RSXRLUE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have no experience with Mayflash adapter but I noticed that Official Adapter have been around in the stores lately so I guess they finally solved stock problems.

Neoxon

WOW! Thanks! I didn't know Nintendo still had em in stock!
Glad I could help.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 had about 120 characters. My friend had the game so he usually bring it over sometime. It was brainless fun for most of times but we don't really play it much because there are few overpowered characters in the game that would steamroll everyone easily. :p
Well damn.

But the thing is that the ballot ends in October. Sakurai & Co. still has to go through the results, think of who would be the most unique of the Top 10 or so, then work on the character. Unless there's a character that's far & way the most-voted character that happen to align with what the Smash dev team wants out of a character, I doubt we'll hear about the ballot results for a while.

Yeah but I doubt they are just sitting and letting the results gather dust in a shed. It would make more sense to translate them and tally them as they come in so they are not left with millions to sort through in October.

Not to downplay Smash's roster size, but Smash also quite a lot of characters based on other characters. There's 9 semi-clones/clones. Characters that nobody legitimately can say are clones, like Miis and Jigglypuff, also share moves with other characters too. And oddballs like Captain Falcon and Little Mac that share a few random animations.

They haven't advertised the ballot at all since release. It would be incredibly surprised if 99% of the votes that will ever be cast have already been cast. I have no idea why they pushed the date out so far, it could have been over in a month.

K Rool, Chrom and Lloyd should have been a good indication they're already looking at and parsing the poll data. I even wonder if Black Knight did well, as well as the bear actually be the kiddos who voted for Freddy, especially since the costume has his bowtie.

Ryce

[...]as well as the bear actually be the kiddos who voted for Freddy, especially since the costume has his bowtie.
Bow ties on teddy bears are incredibly common. I'm sure the bear was planned from the beginning of the DLC schedule since each Mii Fighter type has its own generic DLC animal costume (cat, monkey, bear).

Bow ties on teddy bears are incredibly common. I'm sure the bear was planned from the beginning of the DLC schedule since each Mii Fighter type has its own generic DLC animal costume (cat, monkey, bear).

You won't believe how many people on Miiverse actually believe Freddy has a chance. Like, enough that it might have actually caught their attention.

You won't believe how many people on Miiverse actually believe Freddy has a chance. Like, enough that it might have actually caught their attention.
This does remind me that the FNAF series could'd transition pretty well to the Wii U if you made the monitor the Wii U Pad and the TV-screen the office. You'd have to scale the difficulty but it'd be pretty immersive either way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thinking the bear is anything but a bear outfit is really over thinking it. It's an animal costume like the cat and monkey.

Zubz

Banned
I'd want the Mushroom Kingdom II and that DK river stage.

I personally don't see the appeal of Pokemon Floats.

It's a mess. A lovely, lovely mess.

Which of the two Super Mario Bros stages (Smash 64 and Melee) is preferred?

I liked 64 for the pipes, but looking back, Melee's was better. It felt more organized.

I say bring back the Trophy Tussle stages from Melee (Most people forget these even exist)

Majora's Mask was legitimately one of my favorite Melee levels. I'd say they should do it! I'd pay for it as Smash 4 DLC, at least.

I believe Mortal Kombat: Armageddon has over 60 characters.

Yeah, but it was Mortal Kombat Armageddon. They sacrificed character-specific fatalities to do that. That's, like, one of the franchise's selling points, and it got replaced by one long, universal mutilation combo. Plus, half the cast were lazy, PS2-era characters like Mavado & Hsu Hao, and few characters felt unique.

This does remind me that the FNAF series could'd transition pretty well to the Wii U if you made the monitor the Wii U Pad and the TV-screen the office. You'd have to scale the difficulty but it'd be pretty immersive either way.

I'd love to see them do that. I know the Wii U's only got roughly a year left on it, but it'd be one of those rare games that'd offer perfect Gamepad implementation.

Richie

If it happens I don't expect it until the next Smash, but I'd love the choice to have a whole playlist of songs going in a single match. You're playing on a F-Zero stage, Big Blue plays, it ends, Mute City's played immediately afterwards, then Fire Field, then Car Select, and so, and so...

I'd just like My Music to open up the song list for the series and let my pick 5-10 songs from the series to put on the stage at what percent I want. Series without stages can be available for all stages. If I want Golden Sun music on Delfino, why would it matter?

Seems kind of pointless these days for music to be on a specific stage when it works well on multiple stages.

Long gone are the days of stages have a specific "theme" associated with them like in 64 and Melee.

Richie

I'd just like My Music to open up the song list for the series and let my pick 5-10 songs from the series to put on the stage at what percent I want.

Seems kind of pointless these days for music to be on a specific stage when it works well on multiple stages.

Long gone are the days of stages have a specific "theme" associated with them like in 64 and Melee.

This is also true. Even more so when some songs would fit better in other stages of the same franchise. Back in Brawl Forest Area was hilariously out of tone with the Halberd, but would have fit like a dream(land) within Green Greens.

Yeah, it'd be cool if stages came with pre-selected playlists, but then gave you the choice to modify 'em as you saw fit.

I'd just like My Music to open up the song list for the series and let my pick 5-10 songs from the series to put on the stage at what percent I want. Series without stages can be available for all stages. If I want Golden Sun music on Delfino, why would it matter?

Why just limit it to series? Why not just have any music on any stage? What if I want to have With Mila's Divine Protection on Game & Watch, or Theme of Love on Pac Land?

Crayolan

especially since the costume has his bowtie.

Boo-Boo_Bear.png

Boo Boo CONFIRMED

Why just limit it to series? Why not just have any music on any stage? What if I want to have With Mila's Divine Protection on Game & Watch, or Theme of Love on Pac Land?

I think it needs some kind of restriction or you'll end up throwing a 400 entry list to a player.

And the users who want something like Metroid music on a Sonic level seem like they'd be a fairly small minority.

I think it needs some kind of restriction or you'll end up throwing a 400 entry list to a player.

And the users who want something like Metroid music on a Sonic level seem like they'd be a fairly small minority.

Make every stage have a default selection, but allow players to add songs to any stage they want.

The adding part is what I mean. You'd just throw this 500 entry list at someone to add music and it would kind of be overwhelming to a lot of people who may not be that familiar with the music that's in the game or even the series themselves.

That's why I'm saying give every stage a default selection of a few songs. My Music doesn't have to look like it does right now and list every song in the game right out of the gate. You can just add a button that says "Add music from another stage?" or something.

- Every stage would have 10 "slots"
- By default a few of these will have suggested songs (not repeated between stages)
- It would be normal "My Music" with the percent bars.
- There would be a button at the bottom "modify music"
- Doing so opens the same menu as the sound test, except the left has your slots. Just check the song and it adds it to the side. Uncheck it and it removes it.
- Limited by series so the list is easier to sort through, since the people who want to add cross game music is probably pretty small and a giant list, even in this sub menu, would be a hassle to sort through.

Hatchtag

Banned

They'll definitely have done some work on ballot characters by October, unless they decide to temporarily disband the team until the ballot ends (unlikely) or have somehow done enough work bringing back veterans, stages and non-ballot newcomers to keep the team busy until then (more likely but still unlikely).

I mean, it probably won't be a close race between more than 5 characters. They'll definitely have spent some time thinking about what to do with the potential winners by then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Doesn't Trophy Rush already handle Trophy Tussle?
He's referring to the event matches where you fought on top of a giant trophy.

I actually made a stage in stage builder (remember that mode?) to resemble Majora's Mask based on the old event stage but lack of grabable edges made me scrap it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is there a way to tell everyone in the world how to use the browser to upload clean screenshots from the Wii U? Every time I see an off screenshot like that I feel sad.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Upload it to Miiverse and then save it to your desktop.
I know how to do it, and to add, using the browser rather than Miiverse gets you better screenshots, I just want a way to send a message to the brains of everyone in this world about how to do it since I see far too many off screen screenshots that could have easily been avoided.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think the only reason they left data on the 3DS that one time was because I think Mewtwo's update was rushed

I'm petty sure that you are right, balladofwindfishes. TI have a feeling that they rushed with Mewtwo update because of Club Nintendo since it was going to shut down eventually so they want to make sure that people would have enough time to redeem Mewtwo codes.

Also Mewtwo was super duper buggy. He literally banned you from online if you used him in a specific mode. His lack of customs was also kind of poorly coded since you could access them anyway.

Yea, I think they needed to get him out because of the Club Nintendo deadline. After a few weeks he was all cleaned up though, although he still doesn't really seem terribly well balanced.

Speaking of Mewtwo. Can we have Pokemon Symphonic Evolution in Smash, please Mr Sakurai?
I will also allow past 2:30 for this song, since you know, 2 minute limit and what not. Grumble grumble johto underrepresented grumble. This song is short enough to be plucked entirely.

Zubz

Banned

... Why have I not listened to this album until now? I know it doesn't fit the tone, but seeing how the bulk of Saffron City 64 takes place on the Silph Co. roof, that last song could be a good fit if they bring that stage back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom