• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"The royal Koopa line is as strong as ever!" would be the perfect quote for one of his victory animations.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
But they brought Pit and Virdi's voice actors in, but not Palutena and brought Charizard, Lucario and Greninja's actors in, but not Mewtwo. And DK's actor in for a goofy song, only.
Scheduling conflict might have been an issue. Voice actors have a lot of projects to work on, especially on video games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Let's lock up Wolf's 643DS voice actor in his room so they're forced to reuse his Brawl voice clips. I'd prefer that.

HI NINTENDO Shirtless Wolf pls

Wow, he should have released this image
CLOS9j5UsAAS7cQ-300x164.png

That's SUPER convincing and very much in a pose Nintendo would do for official PR Shots.

From the interview with the guys who faked the Dr Mario stage.

kirby_fox

Banned
They're watching us?

I don't know what to say now.

I wish we knew about how Sakurai chose the assist trophies. And why some were cut, and only little Mac was promoted.

Little Mac was really the only AT in Brawl that was a logical choice to be upgraded. He even could have been in Brawl as a playable character, and probably would have if Punch Out on the Wii had come out a few years earlier.

I don't know why some were cut. I can guess why Resetti was cut, but the others, I don't know. They ported most of them pretty much directly from Brawl, there's little reason they would have needed to cut some.

Hopefully Dark Samus is the next AT to be upgraded to playable

Zubz

Banned
They're watching us?

I wish we knew about how Sakurai chose the assist trophies. And why some were cut, and only little Mac was promoted.

Maybe to leave it open-ended for a DLC promotion for, say, Isaac, Jill, or Barbara? I have no idea why they did so, myself, but if they were planning DLC for awhile before launch, that would make a decent bit of sense. The only downside is that it means that Waluigi was never considered to be a contender for the roster. Which is a travesty.

RomanceDawn

Hopefully they've seen every super rational Ridley post I've made and understood I was right this whole time. Maybe as we speak the remaining development team is planning a strike until Sakurai approves Ridley development.

QUOTE=balladofwindfishes;174073404]GUYS THEY'RE WATCHING US FOR REAL

Apparently Nintendo watches forums for Smash feedback and specifically mentioned NeoGaf

HI SAKURAI I LUV U

FIX ROB'S EYES[/QUOTE]

The link within the link doesn't work. Anywhere else I might find this?

I wonder how much Sakurai Conspiracy Theories reach the man's ears...

Hearing that Mike West was so dejected over the backlash made me feel a little bad, but it's great to hear he tried twice as hard for Zero.

Hopefully they deal away with the whole overacting/deliberate campiness direction they've been doing since SF643D. The Orbital Gate Assault convos were the stuff of nightmares.

@Romance: The site's down for me too. I'm guessing there's some maintenance stuff going on?

The link within the link doesn't work. Anywhere else I might find this?

Reddit's hug of death appears to have killed it. It'll probably be up once the traffic dies down.

Hopefully they deal away with the whole overacting/deliberate campiness direction they've been doing since SF643D. The Orbital Gate Assault convos were the stuff of nightmares.

Leon's crazy fan boy explosion with Wolf on Lylat is the best Star Fox conversation ever. Even Panther is like "dude... you're scaring me here"

Golnei

I hope they decide to give Wolf an obnoxiously fake Irish accent if he's brought back as DLC. It's the only logical choice.

Hopefully Dark Samus is the next AT to be upgraded to playable

But she's already playable - why would you want another direct clone to get its own slot?

Neoxon

I wonder how much Sakurai Conspiracy Theories reach the man's ears...

Hearing that Mike West was so dejected over the backlash made me feel a little bad, but it's great to hear he tried twice as hard for Zero.

@Romance: The site's down for me too. I'm guessing there's some maintenance stuff going on?
Agreed, but at least he's putting that criticism to good use & bettering himself.

RomanceDawn

I wonder though, was Mike West given the direction to deliver his lines that way? Thats what it seems to me. I've given lines before and I think, you really want me to say it like that? Ok, you're the boss!

But she's already playable - why would you want another direct clone to get its own slot?

I can't even think of a way Dark Samus would be a clone. She can't even do half of the things Samus does in Smash and has several boss fights from 2 games to define her, plus some stuff Metroid Prime used if she needed more.

Man, even KI is allowed to get a proper playable Rare Reptile of dubious nineties era design qualities.
Smash has gotta step it up.

Sponge

Banned
They're watching us?

That is absolutely scary that they may have been watching us. I'm speechless too, not sure how to feel.

PBalfredo

I was thinking earlier how Inklings would be perfect for having multiple color options in Smash since in addition to the colored tentacles they could wear shirts from Splatoon that are just texture swaps. Then I realized that two of those alt colors have to be Splatfest tees, one saying "For Fun" and the other saying "For Glory".

Neoxon

I was thinking earlier how Inklings would be perfect for having multiple color options in Smash since in addition to the colored tentacles they could wear shirts from Splatoon that are just texture swaps. Then I realized that two of those alt colors have to be Splatfest tees, one saying "For Fun" and the other saying "For Glory".
If the Inklings get in Smash 4 as DLC, I'll be disappointed if that isn't a thing.

I really do think Inkling are a likely pick, especially if the 4 more character theory holds true.

Since I have a hard time thinking of 4 characters without using Inkling or a RH rep.

I really do think Inkling are a likely pick, especially if the 4 more character theory holds true.

Since I have a hard time thinking of 4 characters without using Inkling or a RH rep.
I'd love Inklings (as evidenced by my mii gunner one :3 ) but I'm kind of not sure how on earth they'd handle the ink mechanic in smash without some major work. I guess I shouldn't be completely down on it considering that they gave ryu a whole new mechanic but I still feel like the ink is a step beyond even that :s

I wonder if they'd consider Assist Trophy peeps as I'd hate to think Ashley would miss out just because they stuck her in as an assist :/ Heck knows, she probably lost a bunch of votes from that because people already think assists are doomed on the ballot.

I don't think they would handle the Ink. Inkling would probably just shoot, and the paint would disappear instantly. Squid form would just have a puddle or something that follows the Inkling

JazzmanZ

What you didn't think they were watching? even after Bill trinen made a post in the Super smash bros. Brawl dojo thread years ago?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What you didn't think they were watching? even after Bill trinen made a post in the Super smash bros. Brawl dojo thread years ago?

I was joking. I'm surprised that they would keep up with us since our communities could be so toxic with so much negative and bickers.

JazzmanZ

Eh... fake or did they actually leave some stuff on the 3DS version, again?

As far as I know, dataminers didn't bother with the 3DS this time around. I haven't seen anybody whose actually datamined it.

The fact that the voice line is a Shantae assist trophy and Chrom sounds... off... makes this seem kind of fake, but I have no idea because I don't datamine. That Shantae line is ripped right from one of her games as well.

Also RTB (the man behind the roy and ryu video reveals) debunked this, theres no Chrom or Shantae sound data in the 3DS version.

kirby_fox

Banned

Really? Because there's still veterans.

Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf.

Newcomers?

Dixie, Captain Toad, Impa, Tetra, and a slew of third party choices. I have doubts either inklings or RH are gonna be in this time around.

Neoxon

Splatoon and RH are the two major Nintendo IPs not represented in Smash with a character.

Also Wolf is the only vet left with any reasonable chance of returning.
I was thinking the same thing. And it would be a shame if Assist Trophies does actually disqualify a character as playable, as I would have loved Ashley &/or Midna to be playable.

I was thinking the same thing. And it would be a shame if Assist Trophies does actually disqualify a character as playable, as I would have loved Ashley &/or Midna to be playable.
Nice! I've always been a Midna fan too :D

Midna is a one off character from a game that came out 10 years ago in a series with better choices.
I dunno about better choices. Midna's always been highly popular with the Zelda fanbase. There's a reason she has two playable versions in Hyrule Warriors after all :p

Neoxon

Midna is a one off character from a game that came out 10 years ago in a series with better choices.
From the game that's the basis of the majority of the Zelda characters in the game. While granted, Impa would be a better Zelda rep, the fact that all of the (non-Toon Link) Zelda characters are based on their TP incarnations does give Midna a little more wind in her sail. Well, if she wasn't already an Assist Trophy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If Nintendo workers are going to read this thread.

Please send a regard to Sakurai. I reallllllly appreciate that Sakurai added Duck Hunt and Little Mac in the game. They were great newcomers and I have been playing with them a lot. Well, Ryu and Roy are catching up as well. he did excellent job with character roster and I practically love to play with every characters in the game.

Neoxon

If Sakurai's reading this, I'd love for custom moves to be better incorporated into the game (customs for the DLC characters, all customs unlocked from the start, easily selectable customs from the Character Select Screen). It's such a great new addition that deserves some more love.

Also, I'm thankful for Shulk, Mega Man, Robin, Ryu, & the other newcomers.

Imo, and this isn't a popular opinion, I wish custom moves don't come back again. A neat experiment, but too inconsistent with quality and increase the amount of work per character too much for a fairly minor benefit. In the few tournaments that allowed customs, they made no difference at all. It doesn't seem worth the effort to make them, balance them and test them. It's pretty clearly a large effort because DLC characters don't have them.

I don't see them being used in any capacity in future tournaments either.

From the game that's the basis of the majority of the Zelda characters in the game. While granted, Impa would be a better Zelda rep, the fact that all of the (non-Toon Link) Zelda characters are based on their TP incarnations does give Midna a little more wind in her sail. Well, if she wasn't already an Assist Trophy.
because it's completely impossible to make a TP styled Impa or just ignore that entirely and add whoever they want because it hasn't ever mattered. You can't say there's a consistent art style rule for Zelda characters because Toon Link exists.

Picking Midn literally because she fits the style of the other characters visually is a poor reason to add a character instead of the obvious Impa, Ganon and Tingle sitting there waiting to be used.

I hope the Nintendo people watching see that people support K. Rool and don't let the vocal people whining about him being ugly or fat cloud their judgment. Put him in a new game and the whiners mysteriously vanish hehe.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know Golden Sun and Isaac really have zero to low chance to make the appearance in the game so don't need to say it a loud. :p

Anyway, I wonder if assets in Golden Sun would help Isaac to stand out comparing to other sword users. I could thought of a character that could closely resemble Isaac is Robin due to his prowess in magic and sword. i wonder if there is a way that we could make him different from Robin in term of his abilities and move sets.

I know he could have emoticon as taunt if it's possible.

Splatoon and RH are the two major Nintendo IPs not represented in Smash with a character.

Agreed. I would love to see those two franchises getting representative.

Neoxon

Along with the hypothetical chance that Sakurai is reading this right now, I'd greatly appreciate Wonder Red (as would a good chunk of GAF). I get that he may not have much of a future in his franchise, but he's a great character who would bring a lot to the table for Smash. Also, the Chorus Kids (assuming you actually were working on them earlier in development) & the Inklings would be appreciated as well.

Along with the hypothetical chance that Sakurai is reading this right now, I'd greatly appreciate Wonder Red (as would a good chunk of GAF). I get that he may not have much of a future in his franchise, but he's a great character who would bring a lot to the table for Smash. Also, the Chorus Kids (assuming you actually were working on them earlier in development) & the Inklings would be appreciated as well.

He said Treehouse employees were lurking the site, not Sakurai himself. Let's not get carried away here. Ultimately they have very little say.

In the hypothetical chance any treehouse employees are reading this, give me Funky Kong or give me death.

I'm wondering how strict their policy is in terms of making yourself 'known' on the forums you're browsing for ideas and/or fan-feedback. I also feel like moreso than during Brawl's development Sakurai seem more aware of Western reactions to announcements, which I guess is a reflection of NoA employees browsing these sites and reporting back more?

kirby_fox

Banned

Splatoon is currently the only game with a lot of fans and a great lead character. My doubts with it come from a few things-- but mainly because the Mii is incredibly close to looking like the characters and may cause confusion when playing. It was my first thought when the Mii was able to pull it off so well.

RH I feel may have been cut because it's more popular in Japan than globally, and something wasn't working with the character during development. And remember...people were saying Roy wasn't coming back. I think anything is possible these days with vets.
Except Ice Climbers, I lost hope in them :-(

Edit: I should mention, I'm not against either of these characters coming in. I just have doubts they will make it in this time, and welcome them with open arms.

RomanceDawn

Wow that podcast was great! So informative! I should have known Sakurai and Mike West would take their criticisms hard. I've got a friend who recently became a public figure and I told her, stay away from message boards, just trust me.

Fox's voice has grown on me and while I don't agree with Sakurai's Ridley policy I absolutely love just about everything else in the game.

FIX DARK PIT'S FLOATING BOW WHEN HE GRABS SOMEONE. IT'S REALLY STRANGE THAT IT'S STILL IN THERE.

I don't really mind the SF voices myself. Must be the nostalgia.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This is getting creepy, I got two dreams involving Wolf being announced in Smash.

Man, even KI is allowed to get a proper playable Rare Reptile of dubious nineties era design qualities.
Smash has gotta step it up.

Err... Frogs aren't reptiles.

Also Smash already got a frog. A ninja frog. A "narutoad" if you will.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RH I feel may have been cut because it's more popular in Japan than globally
Like that has been a factor before. Did you know Earthbound is listed as a 2013 release in the European release of Smash Bros because that's how long we had to wait. So Smash 64-Smash Brawl we had a character that was basically an unknown for a large chunk of the world. I don't think I even have to go into Fire Emblem.

Since Fox's voice is a topic of conversation, I personally never had a problem with it, but Fox is one of my least played characters so I've never 1. had an attachment to the character 2. had a perceived image of what he should sound like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom