• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Oh man! What if they actually mode Wonder Red into Mii Brawler? A lot better than a costume for sure!

Edit: Chrom's leg at the beginning of the video tho

The trophies aren't rigged, so that'd be impossible. That's why his legs are so off; the model's skeleton probably has a few significant differences to Marth.

Though once proper model imports are possible, there should definitely be a few Wonder-Red -> Mii Brawler imports.

Fandangox

The trophies aren't rigged, so that'd be impossible. That's why his legs are so off; the model's skeleton probably has a few significant differences to Marth.

Though once proper model imports are possible, there should definitely be a few Wonder-Red -> Mii Brawler imports.

Yeah, one step closer though.

Richie

Speakin' of trophies, wonder if we're gonna get any in this update. Wooly Yoshi or something from the Animal Crossing spinoff perhaps?

Neoxon

Speakin' of trophies, wonder if we're gonna get any in this update. Wooly Yoshi or something from the Animal Crossing spinoff perhaps?
Maybe we'll get trophies bundled with the Mii Costumes like with the Splatoon Mii Costumes. This would mainly be for Lloyd, since both Chrom & King K. Rool already have trophies in the game.

If the Doc stage is real, it could come with a Megavitamin trophy. Kind of sad there isn't one already, as there was one in Melee.

And come on, move the Viruses to the Mario trophy section... it makes no sense they're in "other" when Doc himself isn't.

Zubz

Banned
If the Doc stage is real, it could come with a Megavitamin trophy. Kind of sad there isn't one already, as there was one in Melee.

And come on, move the Viruses to the Mario trophy section... it makes no sense they're in "other" when Doc himself isn't.

Yeah... It really feels like a lazy oversight, but it's also minor enough that they might just skip it.

Yeah... It really feels like a lazy oversight, but it's also minor enough that they might just skip it.

I read somewhere (Smash Wiki maybe?) in the PAL version, Shy Guy and Kamek are in the Yoshi section, not the Mario section. So if a localization can move a trophy without breaking the game, a patch can.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, the leak is fake.

The fact that the errors are that nit-picky is not far off from the ESRB leak. This is why I'm convinced that the leak is real.

This is eerily similar to the Tomodachi Life stage leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s94PL6wJoEU

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So

for the first time since, I dunno, before the 3DS release, we don't know of anything coming to the game that they are developing at the moment.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
https://twitter.com/YTgameonion/status/626995532129533952

Actual proof it's fake.

(Unlike that guy who provided the "original" Palutena image long ago, these match)

That Title Muisc tease annoys me so much. I had niggling feeling, like the border to the magnifying glass looking a bit weird and when the frozen viruses in the BG was pointed out I couldn't think of an explanation for but for once I wanted to believe so went a bit blind for it.

But goes to prove how well done fakes can be and what they can do with ripped models.

Hatchtag

Banned
Them making the first four characters character bundle 1 is kinda interesting. Makes me wonder if the amount of remaining characters will be a multiple of four.

Neoxon

https://twitter.com/YTgameonion/status/626995532129533952

Actual proof it's fake.

(Unlike that guy who provided the "original" Palutena image long ago, these match)

That Title Muisc tease annoys me so much. I had niggling feeling, like the border to the magnifying glass looking a bit weird and when the frozen viruses in the BG was pointed out I couldn't think of an explanation for but for once I wanted to believe so went a bit blind for it.

But goes to prove how well done fakes can be and what they can do with ripped models.
Welp, that settles it. It's amazing how far people go to make fake leaks.

I wonder if they'll ever patch in the missing song on Peach's Castle or if they'll just leave it as the only DLC with only 5 songs.

Maybe they'll add a few more versions of the Zelda main theme while they're at it. I'm not sure Hyrule Castle has enough of those yet.

I wonder if they'll ever patch in the missing song on Peach's Castle or if they'll just leave it as the only DLC with only 5 songs.

Maybe they'll add a few more versions of the Zelda main theme while they're at it. I'm not sure Hyrule Castle has enough of those yet.

I like how the new remix is yet another medley of overworld and underworld, that must be the third remix of that combo now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

They'll add the two missing verses of the DK Rap as the sixth song.

The more DLC they add, the more unpolished this game feels. It's a mess right now. People with OCD should not play this game.

Also

Look at how detailed the scales are. I'm confident that a playable model is coming and this is just a work in progress since they just started looking at the ballot results. I don't understand why they'd "deconfirm" K. Rool so prematurely while they leave the door open for literally every other popular ballot request even though the ballot doesn't end until October. My theory is that the playable K. Rool will have all three SNES era disguises (or potentially Kaptain exclusively), and they're just trying to milk the K. Rool fanbase until the ballot ends. I mean, who would buy a K. Rool costume if he's already a playable character? I also think the Inklings will show up as DLC. I was never in the camp that they were "deconfirmed" due to the Mii costumes, I just thought they would be saved for Smash 5. Given Splatoon's recent commercial success, it would be silly to wait another 5-6 years.

extktqJ.png

Golnei

They have the entire of Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time they could remix from. Like you know, the game the stage is from? And yet... nope.

Brawl already passed over a few obvious tracks and had a few issues with redundancy, but both problems became much worse in this game. It almost feels like the decisions to remix the series staple themes again and bring back nearly every track from previous games were made by different people who never spoke to each other, with the selection of music ripped directly from other games decided by a third, unrelated person.

The more DLC they add, the more unpolished this game feels. It's a mess right now. People with OCD should not play this game.

Unpolished? Other than a couple of unfortunate discrepancies like the DLC characters' lack of custom moves, I'm not sure what's so much worse about the game's DLC compared to any other fighting game's. The way it contorts the menus?

Unpolished? Other than a couple of unfortunate discrepancies like the DLC characters' lack of custom moves, I'm not sure what's so much worse about the game's DLC compared to any other fighting game's. The way it contorts the menus?

Disorganized character select screen, inconsistencies regarding music, no Palutena's Guidance for DLC characters (despite the fact that Pit already met Lucas), no custom moves for DLC characters, etc.

NeonZ

Brawl already passed over a few obvious tracks and had a few issues with redundancy, but both problems became much worse in this game. It almost feels like the decisions to remix the series staple themes again and bring back nearly every track from previous games were made by different people who never spoke to each other, with the selection of music ripped directly from other games decided by a third, unrelated person.

I can't remember why, but I remember getting the impression back in Brawl that the choice of tracks to be remixed was mostly done by the composers themselves, which is why the selection is rather odd sometimes.

Edit:Actually, it was outright stated in the Dojo.

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_uk/music/music01.html
We've asked our group of arrangement supervisors to listen to an elite selection of Nintendo music and asked them to arrange several of their favourite songs...which means there will be quite a large number of songs.

Golnei

I can't remember why, but I remember getting the impression back in Brawl that the choice of tracks to be remixed was mostly made by the composers themselves, which is why the selection is rather odd sometimes.

I never really decided that one specific person was appropriate for a given situation. But in general, what I do is that I talk with people who have composed the original music for a game, like the composer, for example, and I ask them how they would like to contribute to the project. In general, we find an agreement, and they come to compose the special versions of their music for Super Smash Bros. games.

It seems to be a little of both; though that doesn't necessarily cover how composers with no connection to the represented series would be handled. Even Shimomura didn't get complete freedom - wasn't it originally not her intent to rearrange Try, Try Again?

In any case, even if the new remixes weren't decided on in context with the larger soundtrack, the dismal selection of direct game rips have no excuse - going for additional arrangements of music already in the game more than twice over while ignoring notable original music (or arrangements of other existing themes not already represented) from those same games is something that should never happen.

This update also somewhat reinforces my suspicions that Dreamland 64 was planned for the base game and was cut for time.

Dreamland's music is placed properly in the music list, much like Miiverse. However, Hyrule and Peach's Castle just plop the music at the end of the list for the series. As if Dreamland's music indexes existed already, but the new stages did not.

The new stages have the trademark "plop at the end of the list and screw up the order" stuff the DLC is infamous for. The original stage DLC did not do this however.

The list for music is basically arbitrary anyway. It's only vaguely organized by specific game, and even then some base game songs are just flat out either in the wrong spot or attributed to the wrong game (like the Animal Crossing Wild World theme says it's from the original Animal Crossing, while "Melee Boss 2" is a song from Brawl, but the list claims it's from Melee).

So the fact that Dreamland and Miiverse have their music spread through the list, versus all in a clump is something nobody would ever notice was "wrong." And considering how weird the list already was, it may not even be "wrong" I just thought it was interesting Dreamland and Miiverse were treated like stock game music as far as the list is concerned.

And this is entirely different on the 3DS, as well, where Dreamland is at the end of the Kirby songs, just like the other DLC stages. But I have yet to figure out any pattern to the 3DS list anyway lol.

Never, ever try to make sense of the trophy order either. You're hurt yourself. I gave up pretending it was even close to being organized by anything. Even with the sorting options, they lie sometimes (sorting by series place the Pilotwings trophies all over for some reason, for example). And this was before DLC. The DLC is actually fairly logically placed for trophies, other than they are tacked onto the end. But this is the same trophy list that says Jigglypuff is an unlockable Brawl vet and Doctor Mario is either the last Brawl character or the first Smash 4 New Comer lol, so it's not like the base game was very organized either.

And to make it even funnier, sound test and the classic mode videos are in an entirely different order based on the order the characters are unlocked on the 3DS lmao. So starters like Ness and Ganondorf are down with ROB and Game and Watch on the list because of reasons I guess.

imo all character lists in the game should be listed by what Smash the series had a character added, and within that, organize by starts and unlocks (based on what they were in their original game). All music should have the series organized by what Smash they were added (as they are now), and within organized chronologically by when the original game was released. Sub series like Mario Kart can continue to be organized in their own "block" as they are now. This is sort of how it's organized, but a few songs are misplaced or mislabeled. The 3DS doesn't appear to have any logical order.

While I don't think the K.Rool costume signifys any potential future for him I will say that it's nice that it doesn't look like complete arse, they got belly armour, they got the oversized eye, it's very close to his SNES look as opposed to the similar yet unmistakeably worse modern look.

They have the entire of Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time they could remix from. Like you know, the game the stage is from? And yet... nope.

Termina Field is just the biggest tease, it annoyed me in Brawl and it annoys me more here.
I can at least say I have a softer spot for the LttP rendition of the overworld but at this point I think it's overtaken DK Island Swing is the I can't hold all these remixes quota.
(but at least Zelda often has other more diverse options by comparison)

I'm just mad salty because a SNES rip of a remix of the main theme got in over Melee's Saria's Song. That remix, was then remixed again (in Link Between Worlds) and that remix is on Temple. So it's kind of entirely redundant. I also think a lot of SNES music has this "sound" about them that makes most them sound dated, if not a little muffled, versus NES chiptunes with sound very clear and retro, but not dated.

Seriously. The Saria's Song from Melee is the absolute best rendition of the song and it's been MIA for years for some reason. And Hyrule Castle is an Ocarina of Time stage and has only one Ocarina of Time song, which already had a remix in the game and is yet another main theme remix...

Saria's Song is one of the most iconic songs from Ocarina of Time.

The remix for the stage should have been an Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask medley. The Overworld into Dungeon medley was literally JUST remixed with the release of Smash 4 and they go and do it again.

And I really wouldn't even cared if the Link to the Past song was Hyrule Castle. At least that would have been a new song not already in the game 14 times.

Also Dreamland got a remix, a Melee remix, a remix from Air Ride and two other completely origin rips. Kind of a huge difference in quality between the two stages. And I'm not even going to mention peach's "I only have 5 songs" castle. But the variety on that stage is closer to Dreamland's quality than the nonsense Hyrule Castle got, it's just missing a song and bringing back Mushroom Kingdom II was appreciated.

I would have pulled a Kirby Air Ride music cheat and added Throwback Galaxy and made a completely different Mario 64 song, Peach's Castle Theme or a Bowser Song, so there would be more remixes overall, but whatever

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Disorganized character select screen, inconsistencies regarding music, no Palutena's Guidance for DLC characters (despite the fact that Pit already met Lucas), no custom moves for DLC characters, etc.

The only point you got are Palutena and customs. The rest are pretty much par for the course. Especially the music, I don't get how it is "inconsistent".

The only point you got are Palutena and customs. The rest are pretty much par for the course. Especially the music, I don't get how it is "inconsistent".

I think he's talking about the two new stages and how their music is misplaced in Sound Test compared to older DLC, and also that Peach's Castle only has 5 songs, while every single other DLC has 6.

If they couldn't get a hold of Palutena's original VA for Smash 4 at any point, I don't think it's too unbelievable it'd be too unfeasible to keep bringing in Pit/Viridi/Palutena in every time there's a Smash update with a new character. I agree with everything else though, the way the CSS is set up now and even the level select to an extent is really ugly looking. If Smash DLC ever 'ends' I hope they clean things up.

I also don't think the music complaint's that weird; I'd easily take say, the remixes from Hyrule Warriors for extra music in Hyrule Castle 64 instead of direct rips from LTTP/N64. Maybe rip some of the remixes from Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for extra music in Peach's Castle 64, since I can't really say it's that big a deal to me having Mushroom Kingdom 2's theme back when that was always just a direct rip from SMB2. In comparison the music that wasn't Dreamland's original tune and the Ice Cream Island tune in Dreamland 64 are higher quality versions of classic songs, even if they weren't made for Smash proper. Same deal with Kongo Jungle 64. Not the biggest deal, but I'm basically leaving the music that isn't the original or the one new remix for each stage off.

So now that 64 stages are adequately represented in Smash, I think it's time to move to Melee.

If we go by "music can't be reused and a stage must keep at least one song it had on it" theory (which isn't even totally true, see Jungle Japes 3DS), we have
- Great Bay and Saria's Song
- Mushroom Kingdom I and Super Mario Overworld (Original)
- Fourside and Fourside (plus cut Brawl Mother songs)
- Jungle Japes and Jungle Japes Theme (for the Wii U anyway)
- Icicle Mountain and Balloon Trip (Original) (lol)

Of those, I think Great Bay and Fourside would work really well as DLC stages. Fourside might be a tad graphically intensive for the 3DS, unfortunately, though. Mushroom Kingdom I would also be decent, just to have a proper 1-1 stage on the Wii U, the only Smash game ever to not have one.

The nice part of Great Bay's music is that the primary song on it isn't particularly memorable or iconic of the stage because it's just a really well done version of the Zelda main theme. It's also a stage a lot of people enjoyed and had fond memories of, even if it was a little janky (and will be super janky with swimming). Ok so it's super janky, and not comp friendly. But neither was Hyrule Castle and everyone loves that one.

Another option I wouldn't really be opposed to is trading Kongo Jungle and Jungle Japes. So 3DS DLC for Kongo Jungle, while the Wii U gets Jungle Japes. They could even share music. The 3DS gets the last N64 stage and the Wii U gets another Melee stage under its belt.

And after all of that is done, then we move onto getting Pirate Ship back lol. imo the only glaringly missing Brawl stage. Other than Yoshi's Island Brawl being trapped on the 3DS.

Or just screw original music and bring stuff like Brinstar to the Wii U or bring back Rainbow Cruise. Rainbow Cruise's music is even on the 3DS already, just for Smash Run only! It's really not out of the question to just make a remix that sounds close to the original enough that it's a new song but good enough to represent the stage. Jungle Japes shows they might not really care as much as long as a version of whatever tune the original was is on the stage. The only stage I could legitimately see not returning due to a lack of original music is Fountain of Dreams because the music is just so iconic of that stage. But they could cheat slightly and bring back the Air Ride Midi version of it as a "new" song, which isn't as good, but most people wouldn't even notice it wasn't the original.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd want the Mushroom Kingdom II and that DK river stage.

I personally don't see the appeal of Pokemon Floats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom