• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

I don't care about Dixie Kong, but if she plays like Painwheel from Skullgirls, day one.

If you mean having infinite flight chances of that are pretty much zero. Would be way too powerful in smash.

I want Dixie Kong in just so we can be disappointed all over again when the DKC2 level complete animation is once again not used for a victory animation.

This is the worst. I played DKC2 for the first time earlier this year and when I came back to smash after the first thing I noticed is the lack of boomboxes in victory animations.

That's a great song list, although I wish sometimes they'd pet Chrono Trigger stand on its own (totally biased statment)

crono in smash would be p. cool

so apparently Sakurai's speech wasn't anything Smash related or we would have heard about it by now.

He did discuss Smash with the VA guests but it wasn't really news.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be honest, I don't think it's just Sakurai's decision to not give Diddy a boom box. Nintendo as a whole seems to be moving the DK brand away from its very 90s cool image.

Neoxon

• Liberi Fatali (FFVIII)
  • Classical Music in Video Games (2015 Version)
  • Overworld / Underwater / Underground / Game Over (Super Mario Bros.)
  • Main Theme (The Legend of Zelda)
  • Grotesque Figures / Revived Power (Shadow of the Colossus)
  • ZERO (Ace Combat Zero: The Balkan War)
  • Title Theme / Hometown Domina / City of Flickering Destruction / Earth Painting / Song of MANA ~Opening Theme~ (Legend of Mana)
  • Flower (Ore no shikabane wo koete yuke)
  • Ninja (Rhythm Heaven)
  • Theme of El Shaddai / The Faraway Creation ~Enoch's Theme~ / Tragic Scream (El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron)
  • Main Theme / Gaur Plains / Mechanical Rhythm / Riki the Legendary Heropon / Satorl Marsh (Night) / You Will Know Our Names / Engage the Enemy (Xenoblade Chronicles)
  • Pollyanna (I Believe in You) / Bein' Friends / Eight Melodies (MOTHER)
  • Epilogue ~To My Dear Friends~ / Chrono Trigger / Frog's Theme / Magus Confronted / Radical Dreamers ~Le Tresor Interdit~ / Outskirts of Time / Chrono Cross ~The Scars of Time~ (Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross)
  • PRESS START Farewell Medley (2006-2015)

An amazing setlist and an amazing concert!
Lucky bastard. Though the fact that Rhythm Heaven was there at all should be a testament to how big the franchise really is.

Golnei

An amazing setlist and an amazing concert!

It does seem like a great setlist - in particular, I would have loved to hear the El Shaddai medley, that game's score doesn't get enough attention. Hearing Zero live would have been amazing as well.
Also, did you see anyone crying during the MOTHER suite?

To be honest, I don't think it's just Sakurai's decision to not give Diddy a boom box. Nintendo as a whole seems to be moving the DK brand away from its very 90s cool image.

I don't even think I'd want Dixie in if they won't use her guitar at all...

It is the people who try to straw man what the people who say "win the ballot" mean that are more clueless. Of course a lot of people don't think most votes = happening, or else Shrek or something happens, but more votes >>>> less votes because more votes = sales. The highest Nintendo new character who's not impossible has a great chance unless Sakurai doesn't listen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well Source Gaming is written by GAFers so not surprising a topic from here ended up there ha ha.

Also people forget that while suggestions may not become DLC there's nothing stopping Sakurai from lodging a suggestion to memory and saving it for the next game. Here there would be less worry of interest since it would be a base fighter (think Wii Fit Trainer). This should hopefully encourage more interesting suggestions rather following the herd and going with "safe" choices.

It is the people who try to straw man what the people who say "win the ballot" mean that are more clueless. Of course a lot of people don't think most votes = happening, or else Shrek or something happens, but more votes >>>> less votes because more votes = sales. The highest Nintendo new character who's not impossible has a great chance unless Sakurai doesn't listen.

We didn't know we wanted Ryu in Smash until Ryu was in Smash. Nobody was requesting him, and yet he's incredibly popular now.

Low votes don't necessarily mean less sales.

Kouichi

I do think characters with the highest number of votes have the best chance, but that does not mean higher characters will always been chosen over the lower. So let's say Dixie Kong has the 6th most votes while Waluigi has the 1st. I'd say both of characters have a better chance compared to a character like Takamaru, who we'll say has the 100th most votes. But whether Sakurai & his team chooses between Dixie or Waluigi will depend on their own criteria and not based on who has more votes. In that sense, it's more of a suggestion box than a ballot. That's the way I've always seen it

Heck, they could see DK.Jr with the 700th most votes and think it's a brilliant idea! Higher votes give more exposure to the character, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

I would also point out that the ballot likely will not only be done in regards to DLC for Smash 4, but also is very likely to have an impact on Smash 5 (perhaps for the NX?).

Nintendo, at this point, has run out of A-lister and most of the popular/recent B-lister characters (I'd consider Rosalina or Shulk that). There's very few characters left that would pull any weight if they just were randomly picked, however the ballot allows them to gauge the popularity of certain characters.

I'm going to assume that Smash 5 will probably feature mostly (if not only) characters that did well in the ballot (maybe not specifically top 3 material, but you know), as well as new IP characters like the Inklings would be.

kirby_fox

Banned
I would also point out that the ballot likely will not only be done in regards to DLC for Smash 4, but also is very likely to have an impact on Smash 5 (perhaps for the NX?).

Nintendo, at this point, has run out of A-lister and most of the popular/recent B-lister characters (I'd consider Rosalina or Shulk that). There's very few characters left that would pull any weight if they just were randomly picked, however the ballot allows them to gauge the popularity of certain characters.

I'm going to assume that Smash 5 will probably feature mostly (if not only) characters that did well in the ballot (maybe not specifically top 3 material, but you know), as well as new IP characters like the Inklings would be.

With us inching ever closer to a 60+ character roster, I wonder how many can be added to the Smash roster before we start seeing major cuts. I'd be interested to know if certain characters would also never come back.

In thinking of who is truly missing in the Nintendo roster, you have few choices without going to a "retro" character, "B-tier" or the more popular "Character that isn't retro but we haven't seen them in awhile"

We're finally hinging on having fighters that have come from one game but are highly popular among fans like Skull Kid and Midna.

We didn't know we wanted Ryu in Smash until Ryu was in Smash. Nobody was requesting him, and yet he's incredibly popular now.

Low votes don't necessarily mean less sales.

No but it is a gamble to see a guy in 1st place and one in 20th place and say 'haha lets add the 20th placer cause their move set would be so cool.' Votes = popularity = sales.

Dude, this guy put Wii Fit Trainer in the game.

And the abstract concept of an LCD game "character." Which by the way, I still consider the most uniquely character idea in all of Smash, even 15 years later.

No but it is a gamble to see a guy in 1st place and one in 20th place and say 'haha lets add the 20th placer cause their move set would be so cool.' Votes = popularity = sales.

If the 20th placer has a cooler moveset idea, then the 20th placer should be added to Smash.

"Stop voting for people already in game"

I'm actually still kinda proponent for this, but hey, it's your vote!

"We totally know what the fuck we're doing as the largest international site for Smash as we ban discussion on characters but a small collection because it's for the good of the others that aren't getting traffic"

gee I wonder who this could possibly be

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Been saying this from Day 1, but nooooo

"Stop voting for people already in game"
"Throw votes away on things that are "guaranteed" for Smash 5"
"We totally know what the fuck we're doing as the largest international site for Smash as we ban discussion on characters but a small collection because it's for the good of the others that aren't getting traffic"

Heh!

No regrets with Takamaru vote!

the game itself and DLC are different animals...a literal garbage cube could be put in the game and it would sell because Mario vs. Link but not as DLC because those are standalone characters

why would they add ATs or Ridley and necessitate a workaround when they can cleanly add someone else with a similar vote count?

People will buy Smash DLC pretty much no matter what, because it's Smash DLC.

If New Pork City was DLC, people would line up to buy it and hype it as the second coming of Jesus himself, despite being New Pork City.

NeonZ

I voted for Roy (Awakening version), Ryu and Demise in three different computers with different IPs. I got Roy and Ryu already (Well, Roy takes some elements from the Awakening design), only Demise is missing.

kirby_fox

Banned
People will buy Smash DLC pretty much no matter what, because it's Smash DLC.

If New Pork City was DLC, people would line up to buy it and hype it as the second coming of Jesus himself, despite being New Pork City.

Unless it came with something else, I would not buy New Pork City.

I would buy Pirate Ship...Pirate Ship would be nice.

Unless it came with something else, I would not buy New Pork City.

I would buy Pirate Ship...Pirate Ship would be nice.

There's enough cut music from Pirate Ship that it could come back without much issue.

- Great Sea (Original)
- Molgera Battle (Original)

For the sake of using the highest quality, use the HD remastered versions. Molgera looses some Chikachikachikachika though, but gains some seriously better bass, so yea...

Throw in some rips from Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass and Four Swords Adventures.

- Great Sea HD (Original)

- Molgera Battle HD (Original)
- Dragon Roost Island (New Remix)
- Saria's Song (Old Remix)
- Lake Hylia (Original)
- Full Steam Ahead! (Original)
- Sailing at Sea (Original)

This would be acceptable to me, despite the stage losing all its Brawl remixes (all two of them lol). More cel shaded game rips, and a remix of what I believe is Nintendo's favorite song from Wind Waker since they always perform it at concerts and stuff. They can cut the Phantom Hourglass music for all I care too. Outset Island would be completely acceptable and maybe even preferred by me.

I also love how Wind Waker has clearer and higher quality audio than Twilight Princess. They really messed up the TP compression or something. I even think the direct rips from the DS Roms are higher quality...

Pirate Ship was one of my favorite stages in Brawl. Wind Waker is my absolute favorite Zelda, and Toon Link is my main in Smash. I will forever hate the Link to the Past field rip for stealing a spot from Saria's Song Melee.

PS: If Molgera, Great Sea and Saria's Song Melee return, ZELDA WILL HAVE 100% OF ITS SONGS FROM THE ENTIRE SMASH SERIES IN SMASH 4. The only series from Smash 64 to have this great honor (ignoring F-Zero as it lacked music in 64). If they do Pirate Ship's music right.
If Sector Z were to return, Star Fox could claim the same honor just by including the original 64 song. Only one song from Star Fox has ever been cut. Pokemon is pretty close as well, Saffron City, Diamond and Pearl Wild Pokemon Remix 1 and Lumiose City.

If they thought everyone would sell the same because everyone will buy everything, why bother doing a ballot? Everything would sell some but some things would sell better than others for sure.

Neoxon

If they thought everyone would sell the same because everyone will buy everything, why bother doing a ballot? Everything would sell some but some things would sell better than others for sure.
To get a general idea of what the fans want. As in, the fans are helping Sakurai narrow things down to the Top 15 or 20. While sure, the ones within this threshold are more likely to get in, you have to factor in the oddball vote that Sakurai may have an amazing idea for. Not once did either Sakurai or Iwata say "the winner of the ballot will get in Smash", it's just an assumption made by the fans. While yes, I do believe that popularity will be a factor, it won't be the deciding factor of who gets in from the ballot. For example, if Dixie ends up placing 3rd in terms of votes & Sakurai comes up with a more interesting idea for a moveset for Wonder Red (who in this example is in 6th place), Sakurai will opt for Wonder Red more than Dixie. That's not to say that Sakurai won't try to think of something for Dixie, it's just that he'll go for the one that he has a clear vision for within the Top 15 or 20.

Same here. It's Smash. I haven't touched the Mii costumes though. Maybe I'll get them if there is a deal one day for all of them.

All DLC, all systems, no exceptions.

Smash has turned into a 150 dollar game. I like having a "complete" game and I regularly play both versions. I can afford it, so no big hardship for content I might only use once or even never (like the Bear costume lol)

Neoxon

Smash has turned into a 150 dollar game. I like having a "complete" game and I regularly play both versions. I can afford it, so no big hardship for content I might only use once or even never (like the Bear costume lol)
I only buy characters & tournament-legal stages (unless a stage comes with a character, in which I have no choice but to get said stage). I may extend this to all stages once my budget allow for it.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm buying every stage and character that shows up for DLC.

Because why the hell wouldn't I.

Why buy it if you never use it?

I've not bought any costumes yet. I rarely play as the Mii character, so it's kind of pointless to do.

I've not bought any costumes yet. I rarely play as the Mii character, so it's kind of pointless to do.

Mentally I require the game to be complete for whatever reason.

I originally didn't buy all the costumes on the 3DS. But it bothered me and kept picking at me that I was missing something on the 3DS, so I ended up just buying them all and then continuing to buy them.

And compared to what I spend in Dota 2, Smash is a drop in the bucket.

jph139

I'm avoiding the costumes because I barely play with Miis as is (and would not significantly increase my Mii time by dressing them like a monkey), but I'm definitely a "completionist" for stages and characters. I figure that, between the two versions, I've spent at least 150 hours on the game, so even with DLC I'm spending cents on the hour. Which is fair.

I also bought the Inklings Costumes because they come with a trophy... and I want all of the trophies. Mildly ashamed of that one. Particularly since the Inklings Miis I have look like ass.

More costumes should come with trophies. It was a neat addition with the Inkling costumes.

I really like trophies.

Costumes should come with songs too. A Tales of Symphonia song on Gaur Plains would have been cool.

Eila

First thing I did was unlock the characters and stages, and have bought all the characters and maps DLC so far. Just sucks that unlocking music is so time taxing. I wouldn't mind getting all the custom moves, either.

Javier

Only costumes I've bought are the Splatoon ones. Don't really care about any of the other ones.

But I can't say no to characters and stages. Game just doesn't feel complete without them.

Masked Man

I said wow
I really want to listen to this.

Especially this.

It was really brief. They did the brass fanfare, had a clarinet play the opening harmonica lick, then did a quick rendition of the melody on flute and bassoon. It was over in all of 10-15 seconds—which somehow felt appropriate for Riki, haha.

Lucky bastard. Though the fact that Rhythm Heaven was there at all should be a testament to how big the franchise really is.

The Rhythm Heaven piece was great. The four organizers (Sakai, Sakurai, Uematsu, Nobuo) took turns providing rhythms as the black ninja, and the audience would clap the same rhythm in response as the white ninja.

It does seem like a great setlist - in particular, I would have loved to hear the El Shaddai medley, that game's score doesn't get enough attention. Hearing Zero live would have been amazing as well.
Also, did you see anyone crying during the MOTHER suite?

I had never heard of the game before, but the music was really good! Lucifer even made a special guest appearance, interrupting the piece to talk for a few seconds, haha.
I didn't see anyone cry, but I heard several people sniffling around me!

kirby_fox

Banned
Only costumes I've bought are the Splatoon ones. Don't really care about any of the other ones.

But I can't say no to characters and stages. Game just doesn't feel complete without them.

Characters I understand. I never used Wolf or Snake, but I would buy them if they came back because others might use them.

Stages though? I've bought all of them because I like the stages so far. I use the stages. It actually gives me more stages to actively use. But there's stages that if they came out with, I wouldn't touch.

Mushroomy Kingdom, New Pork City, Rumble Falls, Spear Pillar, Rainbow Cruise...there's not many people who are going to complain if I don't have one of these stages.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd prefer New Pork City to Palutena's Temple at this point. Palutena's Temple is a stage that should choose one of 4 areas to fight on every time it's so big.

Richie

I'd prefer New Pork City to Palutena's Temple at this point. Palutena's Temple is a stage that should choose one of 4 areas to fight on every time it's so big.

Yeah. In some ways I find it a waste because those could have easily been 4 different stages' layouts. There's Temple big, which is manageable, and then there's big to the point of being ridiculous like with Palutena's Temple. Even with 8 players it is too big for its own good.

It's a lot of fun to play with small King Rool Mii Brawler.
I'm not going to pretend I'm happy about his supposed fate but I still have a heavy-set K. Rool fighter with a shot-put projectile that's meant to represent his cannonball moves that I've been dicking around with a lot online. It's just finding something suitable to shove into his head that bothers me; every attempt I make at a 'mouth' Mii just looks awkward on him. Smug-ass Lloyd is also great.

It's probably too late now, but letting people vote on what pre-established Smash character's moves they'd want applied to Mii's as sort of 'downloadable customs' could work in Smash 5 if they bring the Mii Fighters back as we know them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I use Miis to play as the Mii rather than the costume so I'd rather have a pack of genetic items like bowler hats and odango hair buns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom