• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer New Pork City to Palutena's Temple at this point. Palutena's Temple is a stage that should choose one of 4 areas to fight on every time it's so big.
Yeah, I've said it before, but the only thing Palutena's Temple has over New Pork City is that it isn't hideous. The actual stage layout itself of Palutena's Temple easily belongs in the top three worst stages in all of Smash Bros. history. The ultimate "idiotically big for the sake of being idiotically big" stage. It's not even fun in 8 player. With four players the fighting can typically coalesce into a smaller area, but when you have eight players that really isn't possible, and it becomes Smash Bros. for ants. The Great Cave Offensive has the same problem. At that extreme level of zooming out, no matter how big your screen is, it's really hard to care about what's going on at a normal level and fighting devolves into stupidity.

At the very least the really big stages don't show up in single player mode, but then you have to wonder--if the game knew that the stages were problematic enough to remove from single player...?

I'm not going to pretend I'm happy about his supposed fate but I still have a heavy-set K. Rool fighter with a shot-put projectile that's meant to represent his cannonball moves that I've been dicking around with a lot online. It's just finding something suitable to shove into his head that bothers me; every attempt I make at a 'mouth' Mii just looks awkward on him. Smug-ass Lloyd is also great.

It's at least nice that the brawler moves manage to fit K.Rool Mii just enough, like I can totally see him doing that silly headbutt move at least.
Really should've just given him a full head mask though like the Black Knight.

I need a smug ass Lloyd Irving, I got the costume but haven't got a mii yet and if I can find one in wanted poster form then that's just magnificent.

Javier

I'm not a fan of the big stages in traditional Smash play, but I kinda like setting up matches against 7 CPUs with all items on High, because at least I find that sort of playstyle to be fun in a Free-For-All sort of way.

The worst stage in the series is without a doubt Mario Bros. That one is absolutely unplayable in every style of Smash play.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Palutena's Temple is pretty fun to play with if you are playing with friends. Yes, it usually take forever to finish the battles but the battles are fun if we decide to fight inside the building.

Is there a GAF community of people who play Project M via netplay on Dolphin? I do that much more frequently than I play Smash U

The community seem dead for Project M here. No one haven't bump old thread for awhile so you could revive the thread and see if people would response.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like Mario Bros since it was an idea I once thought of.

But sometimes ideas sound better on paper.

However, if you copied Balloon Fighters looping sides and made it so you could go through the platforms (yes, this goes against the original game) it could be a bit more fun to play on. The small corrections to 75m certainly made it more fun to play on (I am aware I'm probably the only one who thinks 75m is fun).

Palutena's Temple is good for time with at least three people. Awful for stock. Nothing worse than two people left avoiding each other for eternity.

I learned if you have your cursor over Hyrule Castle, but accidentally hit the right trigger, that 75m is under Hyrule Castle and it will select 75m and then you'll be sad :(

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I like Mario Bros since it was an idea I once thought of. But sometimes ideas sound better on paper.

Palutena's Temple is good for time with at least three people. Awful for stock. Nothing worse than two people left avoiding each other for eternity.

My friends and I always have fun with Mario Bros because we usually play dodgeball in that stage mostly. It was trying to get rid of opponents by chuck turtles and crabs against each other. Using Shield character would make the battle little more tension.

Palutena's Temple (stock) isn't bad if you are playing with right kind of friends (the friends that don't run away and make the battle more boring) I understand that many people dislike the stage but I'm lucky that I got friends that don't really make this stage terrible.

Based on trophies, it actually seems Mario Bros was supposed to return, as the enemies all have trophies using Brawl's stage graphics for them. The music from the stage was either just outright cut or chucked on a random stage, as well.

Palutena's Temple makes me sad to look at, because there's about 5 decent stages they could have built just from that stage's pieces.

The painful truth.
And of course all the best Kid Icarus music is on there, didn't even share any good uprising tracks with the other Skyworld stage.
(which coming to think of it I actually dislike more)

kirby_fox

Banned
Based on trophies, it actually seems Mario Bros was supposed to return, as the enemies all have trophies using Brawl's stage graphics for them. The music from the stage was either just outright cut or chucked on a random stage, as well.

Not sure if we should make conclusions on trophies. If we did that, we would come to the conclusion that certain characters were supposed to return since they got trophies.

Or that certain characters were planned and cut.

Well, Mario Bros was ROB's home stage in Brawl, so it would have been a classic stage for ROB.

I also have a feeling Pirate Ship was supposed to come back as well. The way they distributed the stage's music is odd, and they made a remix for the most iconic theme of Wind Waker and didn't bring the stage back to use it lol. Zelda also has so few stages on the Wii U as well, 3 (not counting DLC) isn't really a lot considering that's how many Brawl had.

kirby_fox

Banned
Well, Mario Bros was ROB's home stage in Brawl, so it would have been a classic stage for ROB.

I also have a feeling Pirate Ship was supposed to come back as well. The way they distributed the stage's music is odd, and they made a remix for the most iconic theme of Wind Waker and didn't bring the stage back to use it lol. Zelda also has so few stages on the Wii U as well, 3 (not counting DLC) isn't really a lot considering that's how many Brawl had.

I was actually just thinking of why Pirate Ship didn't come back and probably won't. I had completely forgotten that on the 3DS version, swimming is gone. Swimming seemed to be a decent part of that stage's in-thing.

While it's still in the Wii U version, there's not many areas for it. Maybe to not confuse the hell out of people who go from playing one version to the next.

Swimming isn't a big deal for Pirate Ship. It wouldn't stop it from being DLC.

What might stop it from being DLC is the draw distance of the background and the visual effects. Not really sure how well those would work on the 3DS, but using tricky 2D sprites might work (a lot of stages appear to have 3D background elements in the distance, but are just 2D sprites)

Neoxon

I'll be honest, I'm kinda starving for news. It's been 2 months since we got any character reveals. Though I may have been spoiled with the previous character reveals being in such quick succession.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'll be honest, I'm kinda starving for news. It's been 2 months since we got any character reveals. Though I may have been spoiled with the previous character reveals being in such quick succession.

I'm craving for characters announcement. I admit that I'm very spoiled by leaks and rumors so we would know what to expected from Sakurai and the team. Now, it has been awhile ever since we actually know nothing about upcoming characters.

My curiosity actually took best of me because I couldn't wait to see what charters that we are going to become playable for Smash 4.

That was quite nice montage for a fallen character. RIP Snake. Colonel is right when he told Snake that it would be once in a lifetime opportunity.

Neoxon

I'm craving for characters announcement. I admit that I'm very spoiled by leaks and rumors so we would know what to expected from Sakurai and the team. Now, it has been awhile ever since we actually know nothing about upcoming characters.

My curiosity actually took best of me because I couldn't wait to see what charters that we are going to become playable for Smash 4.

That was quite nice montage for a fallen character. RIP Snake. Colonel is right when he told Snake that it would be once in a lifetime opportunity.
I have a bad feeling that we're gonna have to wait until October for any news, unless Sakurai blindsides us with a Smash Direct.

Crayolan

I think there'll be a direct with a Wolf announcement by the end of the of month. No real evidence to back it up, just a feeling.

Think Wolf is coming in October and was planned from the start but developed after the other four to match up with the new Starfox game. Maybe they also had to give him a new VA too (hope he doesn't get as hated as Fox's haha).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have a bad feeling that we're gonna have to wait until October for any news, unless Sakurai blindsides us with a Smash Direct.

Well, I really understand what's going on with Nintendo right now. I can't really blame them for that.

I think there'll be a direct with a Wolf announcement by the end of the of month. No real evidence to back it up, just a feeling.

Yeah, it would be very disappointing if Wolf didn't make in.

To be fair, we only have 2 batches of DLC character reveals to go on.

It's actually three if I understand what you meant.

1. They announced Mewtwo during 50 Facts about Smash U
2. They re-announced Mewtwo and announced Lucas during April 1st Direct
3. They announced Ryu and Roy during Smash Direct E3 2015 (also re-announced Lucas)

Golnei

Surely there is nothing stopping them from making a DLC stage Wii U exclusive if they must.

I guess if they were to break the current precedent and have version-exclusive DLC stages, it'd make sense for them to be ones already converted for Brawl - though the Omega variant would still require a model edit; they'd have significantly less to do when compared to the new / 64 stages; which would probably be the only way they'd be able to justify additional resources dedicated to work which couldn't transfer over to the version of the game which people actually bought.

Even if having the corresponding stage arbitrarily locked to the 3DS would potentially cause meltdowns...

Zubz

Banned

... M-Maybe they'll license Snake for Smash after that gameshow game? I mean, I'm still pretty tiffed about how awful working conditions are at Konami, so I guess it's for the best. But still, he was a blast in Brawl, and I can see him being better in Smash 4.

Neoxon

There would be little reason for them to add Lucas and Roy, and ignore Wolf, whose more popular and well known than those two.
Let's be honest, this is Sakurai we're talking about. He may have some underlying reason for no Wolf or something that would throw a curveball at whatever we can theorize.

Let's be honest, this is Sakurai we're talking about. He may have some underlying reason for no Wolf or something that would throw a curveball at whatever we can theorize.

What if it's as stupid as his reflector's properties being too expensive to test, since it increases the speed of every projectile reflected drastically, unlike other reflectors in Smash 4.

Because that's pretty much the only complicated mechanic Wolf has. Otherwise he's a pretty standard character and can mostly just be ported from Brawl like Lucas was.

I think if they can do a whole character who can be played with fighting game inputs (i.e. Ryu), then a reflector that speeds up projectiles shouldn't be much of an issue. And if it was, I'm sure nobody would care much if those projectiles weren't sped up.

Funnily enough, Wolf's reflector has some other unique properties. For one, there's a few frames on it in the startup that are invulnerable (iirc). And you can also cancel landing lag with it. Latter only works from slightly bigger heights, so shorthop into reflector to cancel landing lag wouldn't work, but if you dropped through the top platform in Battlefield it would (iirc; it's been a while since I did those tests).
I actually researched that back in the day, I was somewhat active on the Wolf boards in SWF and helped organize them and did some research. Good times.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I'm surprised at the lack of jack-o-lanterns.

What if it's as stupid as his reflector's properties being too expensive to test, since it increases the speed of every projectile reflected drastically, unlike other reflectors in Smash 4.

Because that's pretty much the only complicated mechanic Wolf has. Otherwise he's a pretty standard character and can mostly just be ported from Brawl like Lucas was.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the case.
:(

Next direct Sakurai will reveal that "there have been enough veteran DLC characters," so Wolf won't be returning. We will be getting Bill Grey, though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wish I'm really feeling it too.

You should. I'm pretty sure that we would get Wolf! :)

That's crazy since they just did Mewtwo's projectiles and counters and Ryu.

Next direct Sakurai will reveal that "there have been enough veteran DLC characters," so Wolf won't be returning. We will be getting Bill Grey, though.

I would be okay with that since I really like Bill Grey in SF64 for lesser reasons tho. :p

lol

Sakurai already has people believing these are all the DLC stages we'll ever get based on his cryptic "we can't really make a lot of stages" stuff.

Well, I don't blame them for lowering their expectation by thinking that we already got all downloadable stages. It's defensive mechanism. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Anyway, I want to speculate something on development. Here I go.

Hypotheical Development Process, based on WHAT IF!

It's more likely that they would work on several characters at same time during Smash 4 development but now their team is much smaller than it was. I was thinking that they might still follow the development process so this time they probably work on two characters at same time. (It's possible that they could have working on three characters at once but we don't know any numbers of workers on their team right now.)

Hypothetically Sakurai actually have a plan to work on 8 downloadable characters so they might find it easier to split four characters into four batches of two characters; like a veteran and a newcomer. I strongly believe that veterans are more likely to be easier to be work on; comparing to newcomers.

I have a feeling that we meant to get Lucas and Mewtwo at same time As we discussed in the thread that we assumed that Mewtwo was rushed to be release to the public because of Club Nintendo. Therefore they probably decide to push Lucas into second batch.

Assumed Plan for DLC characters

Batch #1: Mewtwo and Lucas

Batch #2: Ryu and Roy

Yeah, I admit that there is a flaw in my theory. First batch of characters don't really have any newcomer. Yes, Mewtwo isn't newcomer but he don't really have any model from Super Smash Bros Brawl. Mewtwo According to Sakurai, they really have a difficult time to transplant original data. Basically they would have to start all over again with the model, hitbox, etc with Mewtwo.

What about Roy? Yeah, I'm aware that he's not in Super Smash Bros Melee. The situation with Roy is pretty different since they could start working on Marth's moveset and make any adjustments in attempt to luigified Roy.

Now you could see what I'm trying to go with.

Disclaimers: Characters that i listed is just pure examples. Yes, it's biased examples.

Batch #3: Isaac and Wolf.

Batch #4: Inkling and Snake

I'm pretty sure that most of you are aware that I already emphasized that my expectation is two more downloadable characters. However, I just want to speculate the chance that we could get 4 more characters.

So what do you think about it?

I know it's really silly (or maybe stupid) rambling. I just want to speculate since I'm bored right now.

Drago

More evidence towards 8 DLC characters is that, with the last update we got a Character Bundle 1 with 4 characters. Makes sense to me that there will at least be a Bundle 2 with another 4 characters. Doesn't confirm it by any means but it makes it feel more likely to me.

I'm fairly certain that several of the DLC characters were already in the development process in some shape or form, but had to be cut for time constraints. That's why lower priority semi-clones such as Lucas or Roy got axed, but full-on easy-to-make clones like Lucina were added.
However unlike with Brawl, Sakurai can now finish up those characters he had planned and maybe even some work done on.

I'm fairly certain that several of the DLC characters were already in the development process in some shape or form, but had to be cut for time constraints. That's why lower priority semi-clones such as Lucas or Roy got axed, but full-on easy-to-make clones like Lucina were added.
However unlike with Brawl, Sakurai can now finish up those characters he had planned and maybe even some work done on.

I don't think Roy was ever intended to be in Smash 4 until DLC came around.

I think only Mewtwo and Dreamland 64 were unfinished stuff from the base game they finished as DLC. Nothing really has evidence to have been worked on at all before DLC.

If the Gematsu leak was true, then we know Lucas was cut during the initial roster planning stages before even the proposal for the game was finalized. They probably figured he wasn't all that popular or important and didn't want to use time to make him. They ended up being wrong about him not being popular, but they fixing it.

The wording seemed pretty final to me, although my guess is maybe two more stages at most.

Fourside and Sector Z gogogo

I really doubt these are all the stages we're going to get. DLC will probably continue on until at least Winter of 2016. I also have a hunch all new comers will come with a stage to offset a price increase on them.

He also hasn't even touched Brawl stages yet, and there's a whole pile of them he can easily just directly port.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a DLC stage that doesn't come with a new remix as well. Not all returning stages for Smash 4 got a remix. In fact not even all new stages got a remix. So a perceived hurdle of old stages isn't even there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom