• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

This one

Why even make a jab multi hit if it can't hit twice? Ganondorf and Roy manage without multi hit jabs...

Ha, that tip speaks for itself.

I played as Olimar yesterday in Mario Maker and he has his proper voice. I get why he has no voice in Smash, I assume because his helmet is supposed to be blocking the sound, but it's never worked that way in Pikmin games. We always hear him, despite the helmet. I like Olimar's voice, it's always funny to hear the super deep low pitch voice from a tiny little character.

The Mario Maker characters can make sounds? Neat.

I played as Olimar yesterday in Mario Maker and he has his proper voice. I get why he has no voice in Smash, I assume because his helmet is supposed to be blocking the sound, but it's never worked that way in Pikmin games. We always hear him, despite the helmet. I like Olimar's voice, it's always funny to hear the super deep low pitch voice from a tiny little character.

It bothers me way more that Alph is mute as well. They couldn't even bother to reuse his voice clips from Pikmin 3.

The Mario Maker characters cane make sounds? Neat.

Some of them. Actually, I think all of them, except the Pokemon, have at least one unique sound. You hear Olimar's voice whenever he jumps, as it replaces Mario's normal jump sound. He can also whistle and the death and victory songs change as well.

I keep wanting to hear the "You beat a Gym Leader!" fanfare whenever a Pokemon touches the flag pole. Oh well.

I think Mario Maker will be the first stage to re-use music, but not really and only on a technicality.

I believe several of the songs on the stage will change with the theme. Much like Dreamland 3DS, the songs would also all be in sound test separately.

I was thinking they'd do

- Overworld (Remix). Basically four remixes, considering that, it would be the only remix on the stage
- Overworld (Original). This is where music repeats. NSMBU and SMB3 music is used already, however, in Sound Test, these would be "Overworld (SNMBU)" but the original game would be listed as Mario Maker, technically not making it the same song.
- Overworld Editor (Original). Same, changes depending on the theme the stage picked.
- Overworld V2. From Brawl
- Underground. From Brawl/3DS
- Mario Maker Main Theme (Original)

On the 3DS the two songs would be Overworld (Remix) and Overworld (Original)
If any songs should be reused it should be the Mario Paint remix or their individual songs. The fact I cannot listen to the Mario Paint remix on wifi pains me to no end.

Sourcegaming has an interview with Tamaki. It's mostly about his background, opinions on journalism, yadda yadda, some stuff about Shovel Knight (three questions), whatever: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/16/tamakiinterview/#more-2520

Color me surprised someone on 4chan would make up a list of things he got wrong by misinterpreting information or just outright lying.

His views on Wolf are weird. Of course they're going to add more "obvious" characters, Sakurai has basically stated as much, that DLC would be for the fans. Considering the popularity vs work required, they'd be stupid not to add Wolf. It's basically free money and promotion for Star Fox Zero.

I believe the SK rumor a bit more thanks to this interview, as he explained some of the times he's been right and wrong and it made more sense to me than some of the things other people had said he got wrong.

I think at this late stage that we are unlikely to see more “safe choices” like Wolf (as much as I’d like Wolf). I am preparing myself for more off-the-wall, unexpected choices like Shovel Knight, as the Smash ballot will apparently bring about much more “fan-driven” picks

He's contradicting himself. Wolf would very much be a "fan-driven" pick based on his poll performances, alongside characters like K. Rool and the Inklings. If Sakurai crapped out somebody like Mr. Stevenson from Gunshoe because "lol how wacky and unnexpected!", that would be the polar opposite of what fanservice is supposed to be. I still don't buy the Shovel Knight rumor at all, though I've been wrong before. The next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Neoxon

He's contradicting himself. Wolf would very much be a "fan-driven" pick based on his poll performances, alongside characters like K. Rool and the Inklings. If Sakurai crapped out somebody like Mr. Stevenson from Gunshoe because "lol how wacky and unnexpected!", that would be the polar opposite of what fanservice is supposed to be. I still don't buy the Shovel Knight rumor at all, though I've been wrong before. The next few weeks are going to be interesting.
I agree with you concerning Wolf. Though as for Shovel Knight, I'm taking a "wait & see" stance concerning that rumor.

If we don't see Shovel Knight by the 30th, that's going to put a pretty large dent in the rumor, as it would only leave another month or so for him to be added, and that would be rather odd to add characters in such rapid succession like that.

Neoxon

If we don't see Shovel Knight by the 30th, that's going to put a pretty large dent in the rumor, as it would only leave another month or so for him to be added, and that would be rather odd to add characters in such rapid succession like that.
Fair point, though maybe he could signal being the first of Sakurai's picks from the Ballot by being saved until after the ballot ended. And Tamaki said that Shovel Knight would be revealed in a month or two, not released.

As for if we'll see him on the 30th, I doubt it considering that the 2nd stage is listed separately. If it was for Shovel Knight, there wouldn't be a listing at all (just like how Ryu comes bundled with his stage, which isn't listed amongst the stages you could buy separately).

There is 150,000% no reason to show off a character Japan does not know before all the others and say that it is fan service for them

It would be like taking one of those Japanese googled-eyed creatures from PushDustin's poll where we westerners had to ask who they were and giving it to us first

People might say Oh But America wanted him and America is bigger than Japan but when has that stopped Sakurai from caring about Japan's feelings before?

Why would Sakurai reveal Shovel Knight first when he doesn't exist in an entire region? I think it would be a character with more worldwide appeal, possibly Wolf if they try to pass him off as a ballot "winner".

Well, there could be three stages, but ehh...

I guess they could announce him ahead of time. But for Mewtwo and Lucas they had specific reasons to do so. Mewtwo was because of the promotion, and Lucas just to prove they had more DLC planned. They're not going to announce SK in a beta T-Pose render 6 months ahead of time like Mewtwo.

I'm not sure what reason they'd have to announce Shovel Knight a month or two before release, other than to maybe sell more Amiibos, since that would be on the market before he was.

Neoxon

Why would Sakurai reveal Shovel Knight first when he doesn't exist in an entire region? I think it would be a character with more worldwide appeal, possibly Wolf if they try to pass him off as a ballot "winner".
There isn't any "winners" when it comes to who gets added. The Smash Ballot is a glorified suggestion box, not an election.

There isn't any "winners" when it comes to who gets added. The Smash Ballot is a glorified suggestion box, not an election.

And certain characters will be pulled from the "suggestion box", making them the winners. Nobody ever said that the character with the most votes is guaranteed to be added, but I don't know why people are being so obtuse about this.

So here's how I think it's going down.

- They announce a Direct for a week or a few days before the 30th.
- This Direct starts by showing Star Fox Zero, moves into showing Star Wolf's role in the game.
- Much like Rosalina, this is used as a transition into a Wolf DLC announcement
- This moves the Direct to Smash, and the second stage + Mii Hats are shown off.
- Then the rest of the stuff

The announcement that more Directs were coming implied to me that one was happening sooner, rather than later. I think this is the best time to show off something new for Star Fox, and showing Star Wolf's role is perfect.

Neoxon

And certain characters will be pulled from the "suggestion box", making them the winners. Nobody ever said that the character with the most votes is guaranteed to be added, but I don't know why people are being so obtuse about this.
Like I've said before, I'm sure Sakurai will look at the Top 10 or so first. But if he sees a character with tons of potential in 34th place, he could choose that character.

Neoxon

I think we might get two dlc characters at same time. Like Roy and Ryu.
But like I said earlier, I don't think it'll be anyone from a new franchise. If that were the case, the second stage wouldn't have been listed separately in the site's code. And if there was indeed a third stage, why go through the extra trouble of hiding it & do a half-assed job of hiding the second stage?

But like I said earlier, I don't think it'll be anyone from a new franchise. If that were the case, the second stage wouldn't have been listed separately in the site's code. And if there was indeed a third stage, why go through the extra trouble of hiding it & do a half-assed job of hiding the second stage?

Wolf and K. Rool

#Believe

jph139

I could easily see them pushing out Wolf on the 30th as the final pre-ballot DLC character. He's the last "in-demand" veteran and it'll be fairly close to Zero's release.

Wolf and Waddle Dee :)

I could easily see them pushing out Wolf on the 30th as the final pre-ballot DLC character. He's the last "in-demand" veteran and it'll be fairly close to Zero's release.

Yes, I see this as a great time to release Wolf. It's just at the start of when they're going to start the full PR campaign for Zero, and it would be a huge start.

They have yet to detail Star Wolf in Zero either, and they're on the box.

Waddle Dee? If we're going for filler characters we should just go Daisy and Waluigi, let's stop kidding ourselves.

Are Daisy and Waluigi one of the most wanted characters in Japan?

Don't forget the fact he want Metal Mario. I could imagine that Metal Mario being DLC would piss majority of smash community off.

Metal Mario would be cool :(

I basically would be happy with anyone, Metal Mario was just kind of a neat idea I had been tossing around my head since Melee.

Who cares? Filler characters are filler characters.

Filler characters aren't on the same level of marketing as Dedede and Metaknight, which B Waddle Dee has been since Return to Dreamland. He's even been playable in more games recently than Metaknight has. He's being positioned as another main character in the Kirby series.

Filler characters aren't on the same level of marketing as Dedede and Metaknight, which B Waddle Dee has been recently. He's even been playable in more games recently than Metaknight has.
"Here's the super anticipated character from the ballot!

It's Kirby's Goomba with a hat!"

No, sorry, but no. As a character in a base game, yeah, maybe, but as DLC, no way.

"Here's a villain that hasn't had a major appearance since before the majority of you were even born!"

All of the popular ballot characters have glaring flaws if you boil them down to that.

"Here's a villain that hasn't had a major appearance since before the majority of you were even born!"

All of the popular ballot characters have glaring flaws if you boil them down to that.
Yet only Waddle Dee has the flaw of being a filler character. Not every glaring flaw is equal, of course.

And for what it's worth, I don't anticipate it being K.Rool either.

Yet only Waddle Dee has the flaw of being a filler character. Not every glaring flaw is equal, of course.

And for what it's worth, I don't anticipate it being K.Rool either.

I don't agree at all that Waddle Dee is a filler character. Waddle Dee as a species is, but Waddle Dee as a unique character (in the same way as Toad or Yoshi) is a popular character that's heavily used in marketing and has had more recent exposure than Metaknight. He's effectively both Kirby's best friend and Dedede's right hand man, and he's not going anywhere. He'll continue to be used and continue to be playable. He's very much being positioned in a way that he continues to be a main character in the series.

He has the unfortunate situation of being named after his grunt species, but so do other characters nobody would claim were filler, like Captain Toad.

How does a filler character become the second most wanted new comer in an entire region? That doesn't make sense. No other character even close to being labeled as a filler is anywhere near the popularity of Waddle Dee.

Again, Kirby character #4 first when thousands are getting for DK character #3 in higher numbers would be SOOO abysmally blind for Sakurai

And how the heck does 'ha ha suggestion box' translate to 'they are going to lead off with an indie character Japan has never ever heard of'? I mean at least there is logic in that they actually want Bandana Dee

When Waddle Dee starts starring in his own games I think that's when it's okay to compare him to Yoshi and Captain Toad. At this point I would class him as one tiny level above the Blue and Yellow Toads of NSMB.

And people rallying around iffy filler characters is nothing new. Sakurai seems pretty good at weeding through them.

EDIT: I could see the ballot data being used as a barometer for early Smash 5 newcomers--I could see Waddle Dee and a Donkey Kong character then. But I anticipate that the ballot character is going to be something more like Ryu--someone with more broad appeal beyond just Smash fans if not necessarily the biggest pull in the ballot. I don't know who it will be, but I do think it will come out of left field like Ryu.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
EDIT: I could see the ballot data being used as a barometer for early Smash 5 newcomers--I could see Waddle Dee and a Donkey Kong character then. But I anticipate that the ballot character is going to be something more like Ryu--someone with more broad appeal beyond just Smash fans if not necessarily the biggest pull in the ballot. I don't know who it will be, but I do think it will come out of left field like Ryu.

Like Professor Layton?

I still think that the ballot is only going to give us a small amount of characters, and that they've mostly done it to reference it for Smash 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom